Emacs is quite possibly the worst piece of software in the history of mankind...

Emacs is quite possibly the worst piece of software in the history of mankind. It has been shown to literally harm the users' health through hand RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury), but it is a terrible editor for many other reasons as well. Emacs was a communist ideological attack on the individualist spirit of the Unix philosophy. It is the Soviet politburo of software: centrally planned, restrictively licensed, bloated, and massively inefficient.

>he'd rather feed nigger in uganda

no thanks

I unironically would

cmon phaggot have some empathy

>RSI
Set different keybindings then. The whole point of emacs is customization. I also think the qwerty layout of the keyboard vs more ergonomic models like Dvorak would lessen this, as carpel tunnel is common among programmers.

>communist
No it's just extensible and licensed like every other GNU software.

>inefficient
It's potentially the most efficient, given how extensible it is and the options it offers (like checking your email).

Just stick with Gedit, faggot

Go to bed Bram.

why check email in emacs? why not check email in email program?

how does rms' toejam taste?

Spacemacs

If you're already in emacs, why not? Emacs can be anything you want it to be.

Also org mode is the single greatest organization tool known to man.

Because I'm not in emacs, and if I check in email program then I don't need emacs to check my email.

* Swap Caps Lock and LCtrl
* Ergoemacs

Then don't use it fag.
I like it. It's great.

>Also org mode is the single greatest organization tool known to man.
You mistyped Microsoft OneNote, hippie

good goy

I like how people dont like emacs.
Please dont use it, use what THINK is the better software.
I often giggle and vim kiddies now because I was one of them until I discovered the FREEDOM of emacs.

Why only freedom of emacs and its extensions when you can have freedom of all software?

shoo fly, youre being redundant.
have a sage.

Emacs does not originate in Unix moron. And it is better for not following le unix philo-sophism.

That thing does not respect my freedoms

OP is bait
gnus is great +1
Shitty rice
Less bloated, can use emacs bindings
vim is better for scripts and edits, emacs is king for programs and tex

Why is she all warmy and covered on the top but with a short skirt showing her legs on the bottom?

of course a Sup Forumsfag wouldn't use emacs. I bet you use nano

What the hell, I'll bait.

>Emacs is quite possibly the worst piece of software in the history of mankind.
Makes you wonder why it's been around for 40 years and outlived thousands of competitors, doesn't it?

>It has been shown to literally harm the users' health through hand RSI
It has been shown that a small percentage of people who type an awful fucking lot develop RSI.
It has been shown that a large percentage of people who type an awful fucking lot end up using Emacs.
It has been shown that retards tend to confuse correlation with causation.

>attack on the individualist spirit of the Unix philosophy
Emacs wasn't designed on Unix, for Unix or with Unix in mind at all.

>centrally planned
I literally can't think of another piece of software more antithetic to central planning than Emacs. The only "central plan" is to give you an environment that's easy to adapt to almost any "local plan" you might imagine. That's the reason why Emacs is basically a meta-programmable Lisp machine in the first place, and the reason why some people choose to extend Emacs with all kinds of weird functionality and then live in it. Because they can.

>restrictively licensed
Which Emacs are you talking about? You know GNU Emacs is not the only or even first Emacs in existence, right?

>bloated, and massively inefficient
As compared to which editor with similar capabilities? I don't know of any.

>why read and write text in a tool designed for reading and writing text?

>Unix
>Individualist
Dude they used to share fucking computers, why the fuck do you think it's individualist? If anything DOS and it's CPM roots are individualist, since the computer is assumed to be personal. Are you really this fucking stupid?

Lemme guess, Richard Stallman fucked your girlfriend in high school?

Okay, I'll take the bait. Emacs can be customized to be anything you want it to be, and most programmers end up with RSI from typing all day period. Do you use shortcut keys in your DE? Then you're at risk for RSI. Furthermore, Emacs has been around since before your mom decided not to swallow. If you have to use vi, it's because you're not cultured enough to understand the adaptability of Emacs.

>implying he had a girlfriend in high school
>implying he's even finished high school

I heard one legitimate criticism to emacs is that all its features and functionality get in the way of things.
>actual conversation
>why do you not like emacs?
Emacs is trying to be everything. It can't decide what it wants to be.
>what do you mean?
It has literally too much functionality. You can do basically everything in emacs and that's not always a good thing. I bet you could even have your battery percentage for your laptop display in emacs
>no way
*he shows me, yes, yes you actually can*

-I mean, honestly, vim and emacs are so completely different. They're trying to do completely different things. It's pretty wrong to compare them.

I love emacs and use it. Although I don't care what text editor anyone else uses and can respect their reasons. I agree for certain things emacs is not the right choice, same for vim, same for nano. I feel a lot of the time you pick what you are first exposed to as your favorite and because you learn how to configure it to your liking its hard to switch to something else or see any value in the other option even.

I've learned VIM first, it was somehow counter intuitive to learn emacs. Most likely because of VIM having visual and edit modes.
When I got used to emacs I started to use it as IDE and VIM with whatever small edits to config files or similar.
I like both.

I just want something open source that is half as good as Sublime.

Tried both Emacs and Vim and I'm not excited about either. The keybindings are fucking autistic, why would I waste time learning them to type 5% more efficiently. It's not like typing is the hard part about programming.

Currently on Neovim and checking out Xi but it seems CoC'd.

Emacs existed before GNU Screen and ran on terminals, so you had to be able to do everything from inside it. In a real sense it was Unix's first desktop shell.

Not having to move my hands away from keyboard is so much comfy for me, that I went full mouselet and replace any GUI woth CLI if I can plus tiling WM plus vimium addon for firefox.
Only on very rare occasions I have to touch mouse.

Yeah, I'm the same way with i3 and Sublime, but hjkl seems useless with my fuckhuge hands.

I'm just pissed that there are five separate sets of keybinds that I need to know. Is there at least a decent shell with VIM keybindings? That could make it worth it to develop the muscle memory for it.