/ag/: audio general

This here thread is for the discussion of technology related to audio and hi-fidelity productions. Post your gear or get comments and recommendations on gear to get. Try to post OC, and keep that shitty HomePod topic in a separate thread so the AIDS don't spread.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Behringer-DSP1100-Feedback-Destroyer-Parametric-EQ-Processor-w-manual/152910991832?hash=item239a3491d8:g:8SgAAOSw~o5acluQ
soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story
polksda.com/srsreview.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=WcQtzXxtAqo
ebay.com/itm/Crown-CTS-2000-Power-Amp/232652531550?hash=item362b2be75e:g:rEIAAOSweZJaSqWE
ebay.com/itm/EV-Electro-Voice-ZLX12-12-2-Way-Passive-DJ-PA-Speaker-ZLX-12/332562510343?epid=1703513118&hash=item4d6e453207:g:DyEAAOSwLpdW9IfO
waves.com/plugins/c4-multiband-compressor
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you mean hi fidelity reproduction, right?

hi fi is fine and all in moderation, but everyones frequency hearing response is different, so it's largely a fools errand to try and get 'perfect' simply because that will be different for everyone. your ears are the final verdict.

This user may be using rane eqs but he's right.

idk.. better speakers would be nice but they are expensive and most music sucks so idk if i want to spend all that money on audio hardware.

Hey Sup Forums I'm looking for advice. I have HD558 and JBL LSR30X, there seems to be poor isolation between the sound card on my mobo and my gpu so I bought a modi 2 but that didn't fix the problem (my guess being its running of the usb power from the mobo).
So anyways I need a good setup to connect my speakers and headphone to my computer preferably with a switch to turn of the speakers.

you can spend 5000 dollars on an EQ that eliminates some obscure phasing artifacts, but you better believe that entire generations of music were made without such things. spending a bit more than the 70 bucks i'd spend on a rane EQ off ebay might get you some functional improvements such as more headroom.

but can i get what i want out of a rane EQ? useful sounds? tighten up the guitar? remove unnecessary frequencies?

absolutely.

not saying there aren't bad tools. but a bad tool is still more useful than a bad craftsman.

interesting

what kinds of recordings do you make

i used to do compositions all on the computer with lots of sound design and stuff but i got sick of that. now i just play guitar and keyboard (and drum on the keyboard). i felt it was time to get back to roots. used to either do theoretical composition with my head but only really do mechanical thinking with my hand, i want to be able to think theoretically with my hand now. and there's no substitute for instrumental virtuosity.

can I do something for the hiss on my lsr305? at night it's pretty annoying

I'd like some recommendations on decent speakers to put on my desk and use with my computer. I'd like to keep it around $100 or less. I was considering to get the Bose companion 2 speakers since they don't look like they'd take up a lot of space and also because IMO Bose is a good brand. But what would be your guys' thoughts on it?

>but a bad tool is still more useful than a bad craftsman.

I'm stealing this insight.

this is 40 bucks and might do it.

ebay.com/itm/Behringer-DSP1100-Feedback-Destroyer-Parametric-EQ-Processor-w-manual/152910991832?hash=item239a3491d8:g:8SgAAOSw~o5acluQ

it's not going to be a perfect solution without compromises, you can eliminate that hiss but will lose the same frequencies you're removing.

dunno, maybe there's some modifications that can be done. sounds like an endemic problem.

Paid $500 for this. How did I do?

not bad.

Nothing wrong with headphones.

So, I chuckled at this because EQ is meant to flatten the frequency response, or get rid of feedback noise -- these EQ devices are often matched with church P.A. systems. The similarities between noisy LSRs and noisy church P.A. resound with irony.

babbies first audio

Get a proper audio interface, not those "aesthetic" memes promoted by Sup Forums and meme youtubers.

There are plenty of decent audio interfaces you can pick from to use as a source, Presonus, Behringer, Steinberg, Yamaha, etc.

But nooo, gotta pick those shiite and modi memes because they have an aesthetic metal case. Jeez, why are you guys even into audio, if you buy jokes like that.

redpill me on dacs/amps
Should you get a pure amp? Everyone's when they talk about amps talk about very expensive dac/amps, shouldn't a good pair of headphones be good enough on their own? Is this really necessary?

Those are the Apple monitors of the audio world:
-overpriced
-mah qt white aesthetics
-mah brand
-sound is actually pretty bad for its price: on low volume they bass is mediocre and highs are overblown and sound tingy, on high volume the bass becomes a boomy mess

I don't know why ppl buy these, when you can get way better for the price.

Must be the branding that is similar to Apple's, with those white aesthetics.

it's a very nice set of speakers.

i second this. the entire genre of 'dacs and amps' is a perverted subculture.

you want quality? RME. Digigram. Apogee. Lynx. MOTU. not just quality, but functionality. the ability to create submixes, monitor mixes, switch routing. AAA drivers. in other words, the whole package, and a package designed for capability.

the dac/amp thing is an absurdity. any good audio interface will drive any headphones to their full potential, with the added bonus of much more utility. for fucks sake you can just get a scarlett i2i or something.

they're extremely reasonably priced. the 'aesthetic' is simply yamaha leaving the legendary yamaha NS10 of which they are copies as it was. they sound great, if you place them correctly, just like any other monitors, which all will sound bad if placed improperly.

muh 'branding'. give me a break. here's a history lesson for you.

soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story

>it's a very nice set of speakers.
for babbies first introduction to audio maybe

nope, they're just nice speakers.

stop being a consumerist who is more concerned with the acquisition of expensive stuff for marginal at best benefits simply because getting 'more, better' stuff triggers some kind of pseudo happiness (for a short time).

it's a nasty, pathological cycle of refection that you're on where you honestly look down on people for enjoying what they have because you've developed some egotistical self inflating notion that 'you're too good and smart' for it.

you'll find no satisfaction at the end of the road you're on, always wanting newer and better and acting as if it's a moral issue. obsessed with finding ways to make people feel like what they have is lesser. look at people with 5 dollar earbuds or cheap boombox speakers deriving more enjoyment from their cheap junk than you can derive from thirty grand worth of genelacs, and see if you can somehow obtain what they have and you don't.

that's a great price and you're really going to like them. they get very loud if you want them too, you can literally do a DJ set for 25-50 people with them.

Check out some Edifier, that's your best bet at around 100 bucks. Bose are trash. And yeah, I know it's b8, just saying.

anyone have any ideas about a better setup than a set of 1300 watt 12 inch mackie thump powered speakers that come with stands and cables for 640 dollars along with a 18 inch mackie thump 1200 watt powered sub.

are there any comparable setups in the same price range that would be better for a pair of powered speakers + sub?

those yamahas are solid user
why dont you post your set up

Where should I mount them? There is no room to the right unless I move the tower out of the way. The only place for it would be on the floor, elevated. I kinda like looking at it, and I dont want it where its hard to get to, so my option is to mount them on above the monitors.

Can I put them on shelfs against the wall, or make some sort of shelf to stand on the desk?

What are some decent speaker stands under 50 bucks? My speakers each weigh 13lbs

My "almost" NS-10
They're NS 144, but were only $20 at a thrift shop.

This was my old system before I downsized the speakers to a pair that provided better acoustics in the space. I went a little to big with this, anticipating a move into a larger place that never happened.

source on kb

1. put your case on the floor, place both speakers on desk and use books or isotek stands if ur rich

2. they go on stands behind your desk, move your case.

There is no substitute except headphones for correct speaker position in x,y,z

I have stands but that would mean moving my table back from the wall almost a foot, and that will fuck with everything.

Unless i get some bow shaped stands that can curve up against the wall and sneak behind the table.

>shitting on those who take joy in shitting on others

>expensive stuff for marginal at best benefits
top kek

Add in a RW-12D and Epik Empire subwoofers. I don't play with small toys, user

NOICE

2u left, any recommendations?

>old slow horn speakers with that aged muddy elephantine 70's sound

wondering why you always post the same old-fart speakers in the same tiny i-live-in-a-nursing-home kind of room

its rather sad

interesting

so would any edifier speakers be fine or are there certain products I should stay away from?

Zero clue what you're talking about, but please, keep me entertained while I enjoy 95db+ of sensitivity and virtually zero distortion. Plus a midrange that is light years better.

to my surprise they got really good reviews from Consumer Reports when they compared powered non-studio type speakers

they're somewhat expensive so unless you really want powered speakers, you might get better results from something like QAcoustics 2010i and a good cheap used Sony receiver

cool story gramps

how heavy were those speakers?

About 185 each.

specs are insane
polksda.com/srsreview.shtml

One of the best tracks I ever heard was recorded on a fostex portable dat deck and a pair of SM57s. I just don't find graphic eqs to be worth the hassle or rane hardware to be worth the money. But I don't use my own money for studio gear so I can be an ass about it.

EVs are better (did i really just say that) but they really are. QSCs are obviously better, but more expensive.

What are these speakers?

What's recommended for cheap passive speakers that aren't too large and have decent low end range? (Like around $65~100 USD)
Currently running ancient 21 yr old Pioneer Linear Power S-P270s 35W 4ohms from my younger days off of a Lepai 2020A+.
I have to crank them up pretty loud to get decent bass, which isn't ideal in a condoplex.

All the big name speakers cost 2x their MSRP to import and have to pay out the ass for shipping to the Asia Pacific.
Polk Audio T15s costs $445 USD here for a set.

Local place that only sells parts and builds speakers can build me
30W 4-8ohm
90HZ-20HHz 90dB±3dB
2 way 3inch driver + 1inch tweeter
speakers for cheap, should I just go with that or would that be too small and I should be looking at building something with 4in+ drivers?

I probably should point out that I've been listening to 320kbps mp3s as I don't have anything else other than ATH-M50x headphones so I've not made the move to FLAC.
I don't wanna go to Altec Lansing or Logitech 2.1 setups as they have tiny speakers that screech and muddy bass.
Edifier R1100s (75 USD) don't sound much better than what I currently have and the R1600T3/R1800T3 feel like they just added on more useless gimmicks like remotes and more audio inputs.
Micca MB42X and Dayton B652s can't be obtained here and shipping fees plus import taxes to get them here are more than the speakers themselves for some damn reason.

What kind of budget would be needed to drive the Elac Uni-Fi BS U5 Slim?

something that you build yourself. everything else will suck at that price.

Ok, so does anyone know anything about new JBL LSR 3 series? For those unaware, it's refreshed lsr 3 series with one brand new speaker (6" mid-low driver).
I'm honestly curious if anything decent is gonna come out of this.
Incidentally, original lsr 305 can be now bought cheaper than ever, because shops are getting rid of stock.

Actual bat with ultrasonic golden ears here
AMA about 24/96 FLAC vinyl rips

So i picked up this nad C372 off the classifieds and have been using it. I've noticed it runs really hot when compared to my other class a/b amps. Is this normal for these higher end NADs?

>most music sucks
don't talk shit about jazz and house music

Check out this youtube channel

youtube.com/watch?v=WcQtzXxtAqo

This guy does sound demos for affordable speakers. Of course, it's not a 100% accurate measure of the quality of a speaker, but if you are listening over good headphones you might get at least an idea of how well a monitor/speaker performs compared to another. Obviously, the best test is to go to a store and just hear them yourself.

He has lots of Edifier models on that channel tested and some are in the 100 bucks price range.

Some models like Edifier R1800T III or Edifier R1700T are quite decent for the price (around 150 bucks), but maybe you can find them on sales somewhere and get them with a discount.

There is a store in my country which has the Edifier R1800T III model on sale for like 110 bucks right now. Check to see if you can find a similar deal.

In the 100 bucks price range if you go for brand names, like Audioengine or Presonus, you get way worse sound quality. You're basically paying for the brand, because the sound is seriously compromised (crushed mids, weak bass, boxy sound, crap connection choices, crap enclosures etc).

finding good music is hard. maybe i should use some of those drm noise services instead of downloading torrents that may or may not be shit.

I've found many people will settle for stuff like Schiit simply because they're widely available.
Here in Australia for example Schiit gear is sold everywhere, but I have to order everything else from America

>Schiit
I've never seen a studio using Shiit interfaces, but I've seen most using Presonus, Focusrite, Roland, Tascam, and they're not using them just for the branding. Studios keep testing gear all the time, they buy in bulk, test lots of them, then send back the equipment that is not up to par.

And of course they buy equipment that has the necessary scale to handle studio stuff.

Never heard of Schiit products for this purpose. Maybe they're specifically made for home users. They seem to be specifically made to have a metallic and retro look, so they're probably targeted at home users.

got suggestions on what to look out for?

>I'm going to buy harbeth p3esr and cayin A-55TP

How does it look?

That's because audio interfaces are not used for listening to music, but for producing music. Main advantage those interfaces have over dacs made for home user (Schiit or whatever) is that they have very low latency, which is essential for this task.
If you are only interested in listening to music there is very little reason not to use something like jds labs the element with audio being fed from RCA outputs. Unless you need to use very long cables in which case you will want something with balanced outputs.

I'm generally speaking about home users, studio environments are an entirely different ballpark
Schiit is certainly marketed towards home users, their products look good and they've certainly nailed the marketing.

Make sure you check if it's actually something in your setup or the speakers themselves
My HS7s hiss simply by being plugged in, it's quite annoying as it's audible for about a metre when nothing else is making noise

Mine were the newer version. 1990 Polk SDA-SRS 1.2TL. They were too big to sound good in my place but I kinda miss them.

Yeah, but al those brands that make professional interfaces for studios also make some entry-level interfaces with 1 or 2 inputs which are meant for starting musicians, streamers, podcasters, voice actors etc. And the technology that they develop by investing millions of dollars in their pro line can be found in the entry-level gear too.

I'm not saying that Schiit sucks, never used its products, but I would stay away from products that try to show too much in design, much like Apple does, and put form before function.

does anyone here know what this does?

Opinions on Dali? My local Hi-Fi store has pair of used Zensor 7's for 600€.

Is it true that people (and animals) with golden ears (ultrasonic and ultraviolet range) mostly listen to German Techno music? Techno music interests me. What is the best recliner chair in which to sit, for acoustics, while enlistening?

Can I put the other speaker in front of the PC case with it facing me?

Is there some site that recommends layouts?

just put the case on the floor or buy a bigger desk

the 2u rane EQ does a great job of shaping my guitar output so that i can drive my mesa boogie rectifier preamp more deliberately. the stereo rane eq i keep in between a mixer and my yamaha hard disk recorder so that i can apply lo cuts and small tweaks to tracks as i lay them down.

i try to get stuff sounding like i want it to sound in the end, right from the beginning, so that i'm not applying effects again until it's all been bounced to stereo.

those EV zx5's are portable-dj-pa legends.

It's a solid oak 20 year old dinning room desk. It's not going anywhere.

Floor is an option, but it's dusty, and out of way. Where else can I place it?

do you understand how inept you sound?
specific genre? bringing a specific race into the equation? what kind of chair to sit in?

Line Magnetic is better

nice bait

>My HS7s hiss simply by being plugged in
it's the same for me, I can't hear it from a metre but when sitting in front of them is noticeable

Perhaps I'm just particularly sensitive around that frequency
It drives me absolutely crazy, the irony about all this is that it seems that the more I spend and the better the product I buy, the more headaches I have to deal with.

you must regain the true path and cease attempting to scale mountains of price and (dubious) "quality", and follow your instincts, appreciating things for what they are and seeking a higher virtue than purchased 'exclusivity'.

you have to understand that in many ways, 'better' actually just means 'different' that you've been convinced or conditioned to consider as 'superior'.

For something in a small room for my pc are open headphones or speakers better? All arounder for movies, games and music.
Current budget is like 400 euro but can save up to 1k for it if worth it.
So example, would hd600+amp/dac sound better than say kef q100 or lsr305 or the other way around?
Is there a difference in sound between passive and active speakers or just that one needs an amp and the other doesnt?

>FEEDBACK DESTROYER

I have no idea what it does but I want one.

it's main use is to put into a PA system in a big room like a gymnasium or church where the mics pick up the speakers and re-amplify until it shrieks. the digital 'feedback destruction' would find that frequency and give it a hard notch filter to cancel it.

i suggested it to clean up the hissing speakers because it also functions as a digital filter/EQ, and it'd probably have a variety of settings such as lopass and notch filtering that could kill the hiss. which won't be perfect but for 40 bucks you'll get what you pay for.

Hey guys I'm getting into music production(don't use any analog or physical instruments as of yet) and so far all I have are a pair of Sup Forums approved $50 headphones,a USB midi keyboard, and a laptop
I'm thinking about getting a pair of monitors 100-200 dollar range
Any reccs?

Sennheiser HD 598s
That's basically it, I just felt like posting.

>Any reccs?

stop buying stuff and browsing Sup Forums, and start writing songs. like, now.

if you don't do literally exactly that, you're not going to make it.

the fuck you need speakers for, you already have headphones so you can already hear the computer. get to work, maybe when you start making stuff that you wouldn't be ashamed if other people heard you can get speakers.

>old slow horn speakers
Mine are faster than 20Khz! Deal with it noob!
Have you compared the power consumption to your old amplifier? Could be that the NAD has higher class-A bias or maybe a less efficient design.
Snakeoil? Not happy with the preamp?

When are you going to bury the hatch and join the future?

You have a point
I already make beats daily but I've been producing for a year now and I'm interested in getting my shit out there
I wanted to start mastering and mixing shit properly and I was under the impression that monitors are a necessity in this regard
Maybe im wrong

It only gets worse as your hearing gets worse by the time you got enough money.

step 1) make a mix

step 2) burn to CD

step 3) listen to it in your car, someone elses car, someone elses stereo, through some ear buds, pc speakers, laptop speakers, cellphone speakers, etc

step 4) go home, remix if necessary, repeat process

'speakers for studios' are fine and dandy but no one actually listens to music on them. and while an engineer with training and decades of experience knows how to use his 35,000 dollars worth of reference monitors to achieve very specific sonic goals.

a pair of 200 dollar speakers piloted by you aren't going to achieve that, do you even know what you want them for specifically?

i'll tell you what you want them for (optimistically). to get a better feel for room n boom. so if you must, just grab whatever looks good from craigslist or ebay, if you'd enjoy making music through them. listen to everything you made with the headphones in A/B with the new speakers, learn the difference by heart. there is no 'true audio image' out there that you have to spend money to hear. only perspectives on audio, interpreted by speakers.

learn to make the music sound killer through the speakers you're listening to it on. learning to make mixes that translate to many sound systems will only come from experience, and lots of listening. a pair of rokits or whatever won't do anything for you.

I see
I appreciate the advice user, thanks

>tfw will never purchase a high school to turn into a mansion and spend all day producing music with the entire fucking schools PA system as monitors and then hosting massive raves in your high school/mansion furnished in 17th century victorian drawing room style with ultra high tech studios and enough drugs to make 8 billion people trip balls

threadly reminder the LSR305 are the best speakers until the $1k price range and there's nothing you do about it

Dude.
This.
No he doesn't have "a point" he has the only point. Gear is tertiary, skill is secondary and taste is primary. You only develop one and two by making music. You don't need fancy, you work until your skill can keep up with your taste and your skill and taste are limited by your equipment. You'll know when you are there.

Again, SM57s and a Sound Devices MixPre.

>learn to make the music sound killer through the speakers you're listening to it on. learning to make mixes that translate to many sound systems will only come from experience, and lots of listening. a pair of rokits or whatever won't do anything for you.

Or do like everybody else and run it through Ozone mastering preset. All you really have to do beforehand is know which sounds you want to be more in low, mid or high, so they don't clash too much.

It's not like you're mastering for a 12 speaker IMAX cinema

>Ozone mastering preset
oh no honey. Don't do that.

ebay.com/itm/Crown-CTS-2000-Power-Amp/232652531550?hash=item362b2be75e:g:rEIAAOSweZJaSqWE

ebay.com/itm/EV-Electro-Voice-ZLX12-12-2-Way-Passive-DJ-PA-Speaker-ZLX-12/332562510343?epid=1703513118&hash=item4d6e453207:g:DyEAAOSwLpdW9IfO

you could get a pair of two way 12 inch PA speakers and a crown amp with the cables for under 1000 bucks, and actually play out with them as well as listening to and making your music on them*. probably don't hiss, too.

>*garage required, not included

>ozone mastering preset

sure, might work, especially if you learn to set it up right. although ozone costs more than his entire setup.

though personally i think you'd be better off with waves C4 or C6 multiband comp/limiter, if you've done things right up to that point that should really be all you need, since we're not talking about 12 speaker IMAX cinema here.

wow, and it's on sale for 30 bucks now, it's usually 150. too bad i don't use computers anymore.

waves.com/plugins/c4-multiband-compressor