/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux related READ THE STICKY SEARCH BEFORE POSTING ddg.gg/lite/

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/pyllyukko/user.js
windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change
youtube.com/watch?v=hPNdcF-qPYI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How do I utilize QOS on my modem to give me some fucking bandwidth back? I live in a house with 4 other people and none of them are ever doing anything intensive on their computers, but somebody is ALWAYS streaming HD netflix or hulu or amazon prime video through the xbox in the living room and it completely saturates out 40mbps line, leaving me with maybe 200KB/s to do anything.

Don't know where else to ask this.
I've got a load of books my professor told me to look into. They're not necessary for my class, he's just recommending me them.
What's the best site to get books from for free, that are otherwise paid?

I've got $100 in Google store credit. What should I get? I've been looking at the pixel buds... But the reviews seem to be pretty bad.

How do I get this to split each string into a substring by white space and then commit each substring into a sqlite database in a loop?

@app.route('/submit/', methods=['GET', 'POST'])
@login_required
def submit():
form = PostForm()
if form.validate_on_submit():
post = Post(body=form.post.data, author=current_user)
db.session.add(post)
db.session.commit()
flash('URLs Submitted')
return redirect(url_for('submit'))
return render_template('submit.html', title='Submit', form=form)

>install clover on smartphone
>forces me to do like 3 captchas per post
>install Sup Forums X in firefox
>cant make threads, cant even reply sometimes
Is there any Sup Forums extension worth using?

Most routers can do QoS now. 8mpbs per person is plenty, assuming your isp really gives you 40.

This breaks down to two major steps:
1. split the string
2. do the thing with each substring

>>cant make threads, cant even reply sometimes
ur doin sometin wong

What privacy settings should I have in Firefox? Does this look okay?

>Tracking Protection: Always
>Accept Third Party Cookies: Never

github.com/pyllyukko/user.js

Is it possible to update this old phone i found? Says "device is already updated"
>Android 2.3.5

>What's the best site to get books from for free, that are otherwise paid?
Often I can find a book by literally just typing "book name pdf" into Google.

Give it back

its my old huawei from 2012 dude, im not fucking american do you think i go around stomping people and stealing their shit like an african american?

Has the number on ram chips like 1600 become synonymous for the clock/ io bus speed? I'm watching these videos for A+ cert and his numbers don't match up with the things I see when I look at real ram sticks

So, in order to use magnet links from a listing I'm going to save, I just add it to my torrent client, right? But how can I search through this listing?

using newest build of chrome

how do I remove the google search and go to page dropdowns from the address bar (the two lines here before fiverr)? I only want bookmarks with keywords ive entered to appear

Which of the *monkey webextensions should I use? Violent, Grease, or Tamper?

Sup Forums X has been super annoying lately. Can anyone help me fix these issues?

>more often than not, Sup Forums X doesn't register replies as mine , so I don't notice or get notified of a (You)
>page css not loading often so that it's just a white page
I have a bunch of ublock/adblock filters for the site and these issues still occur. Although the replies fucking up is really recent.

I kept running into issues with Greasemonkey on Firefox Quantum, so I went to Violentmonkey and it worked for the most part. Once you install all your addons and plugins though, it'd be a good idea to make a backup of them with Violentmonkey, as I've had 2 occasions where they just randomly were all deleted and I had to restore a backup.

Which media player is the thing to use now?

>page css not loading often so that it's just a white page
It takes like 20 lines of javascript do detect this and reload the page.
Even you should be able to figure that out pajeet.

but what if i don't program

for what media?

>I have a bunch of ublock/adblock filters
that's probably why

It's very faint, maybe 1 pixel, and doesn't even show up in screenshots, but there's a small gap between my Firefox tabs and the top of the window. It didn't do this in firefox 56 but since I've updated to 58, it's there and it's bugging the shit out of me. Is there a way to fix this?

What's the best way to poll files that update frequently? Like /sys/class/.../temperature, should I just continuously open, read and close the file?

Can't be. I added them because it started happening, they just aren't helping though.

>but what if i don't program
Perfect time to learn.
document.getElementById();
location.reload();
and some if/else is pretty much all you need here.
Also F12 is your friend.

Is there any way to initialize a variable in C# like you can in C, C++?

int num{}; // will default to 0 on most compilers

int num[] = {1, 2, 3};

>Huawei U8650
What do i do with this old thing? i dont want to throw it away...

A non array one, apologies.

I intend to dual boot windows 7 and manjaro. I have a 2TB hard drive and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to leave a good 500 gb unused in case I need it later on for either windows or Linux. Is this a good idea because I'm curious if I can save shit in newer partitions down the road

>Site I frequently visit started to use HTTPS
>the implementation of TLS 1.2 is so broken the site barely work
>modifying security.tls.version.max to use 1.1 solve it
That can't be safe, so is there a way to make firefox uses TLS 1.1 on certain site?
Same issue, and pic related.
It doesn't work, I want to use TLS 1.1 on specific site.
What you suggested would force firefox to use TLS 1.2 on all sites.

The two little lock pins from my usb charging cable got stuck down. How would I reset those little fuckers?

Oh, just int num = 1;

Anyone remember ye olde PC games like for DOS that required boot disks? Any idea why boot disks were required? Why couldn't the games just run straight from the command line?

So, I got an oculus rift yesterday, but the display won't turn on.
I've been following the setup instructions, but once I get to the adjust lenses and continue in headset part it's all black, but the orange LED is on.

Recently moved to bongland, so I couldn't bring my desktop. But I did bring a fairly strong laptop (the HP OMEN 17-an002na). I've run the compatibility tool and everything checks out green.

I've done the run of the mill tests, restarting, reconnecting cables (even the one attached to the headset itself), checking the pins, updating drivers, downgrading drivers, trying different USB ports, disabling power saving mode of the USB ports, etc.

I've read that some people have managed to fix it using a DP to HDMI adapter, so I'm trying that when it arrives in ~10h.

I would super appreciate any tips or suggestions you might have, so I can get it up and running.

What TV should I buy?

Something for my room, 50" and above, $1k budget

It's probably afraid of you. Try to give it some food or something, that usually works.

How can i make steam in home streaming less laggy?
both pc's are on wired connections and both host and client are on fastest settings

I see a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 for $329.99. Is that a fair price?

How the fuck do I turn on legacy captcha? I don't see it anywhere in my settings, on firefox. Nobody answered me in the last thread or maybe they did I am too lazy to check archive.

Is there a simple way to turn off my wireless speaker over bluetooth? It has a manual power switch

legacy ded man

it's a fucking rift it's not going to pick up the spoon and put it in it's goggles
you gotta put it in yourself, man

Yeah, if you put a lot of current into the bluetooth transceiver it'll act like a mini-EMP and that should turn off your speaker just fine along with any other electronics in the vicinity.

I need to connect an android 2.3 device to a projector over wifi but I am brainlet plz send help. The projector doesn't even show up in the list of visible wifi networks

When I asked "Why vector graphics are not used in animation in favor of raster graphics" one of the answer said that good enough upscaling techniques exit. What do you use to create a good image from a thumbnail?

cont.
The laptop itself has a 1080p 120hz screen. Could it be that the gtx1060 is hardware optimized for that particular resolution or something? But even so, shouldn't it still be able to output 4k...?
Or.. since it's a laptop... could it be that it's trying to communicate with an unlisted onboard card instead?

i read that as lgbt

I just started a comp arch class and I'm struggling. If anyone is taking class like this how do you memorize all of this? I have a problem with writing down everything that's said in the lecture because I'm not sure what's imperative to know, all of it seems important to me, pretty much every sentence in each 2 hour lecture. How do I take notes?

Wtf? Even if i got Sup Forums x or something?

Gonna be interning at Gaggle for like 6 months as an SRE, what shit should I do during that time?

Best distro for a Linux novice looking to learn more?

Plz respond

from the perspective of an average web monkey/monkey supervisor/monkey boss does it sound smart or does it sound stupid if I say "I can do these things without jQuery (i.e. pure Javascript)"?

I think it is supposed sound smart but some of the retards around me who think external libraries/frameworks are cool may think otherwise

I think it's officially kill in march but chinkmoot removed it a few weeks ago.

just use ubuntu kid

install gentoo

spread viruses into their system

[spoiler]how did you get the internship negro[/spoiler]

What's a good VPN service for a burger such as myself? I want to watch TV streams on Kodi without my ISP getting up in my shit. PIA offers a pretty good deal but Sup Forums seems a bit divided on it. Thinking of buying a prepaid gift card and paying for it that way since they accept that, and I don't want to use a card with my name attached to it

>android 2.3
>in 2018

huh?

also the projector won't show up in wifi networks you retard, you need to connect your phone and the projector to the same wifi and then search for it in the printer application on your phone

computer architecture? lol

fuck your class notes, just skim through hamacher's COA book and write down the concepts (skip the details)

It turns out the projector needs MIRACAST which is a feature introduced with android 4.3. I tried a couple of miracast apps for 2.3 and above but none have worked yet

I have 100+GB (and growing) of films and music that I'd like to sync across both my desktop and my laptop, is there a way I can use my desktop as a master copy and have my laptop automatically copy over everything new whenever it is on my LAN?

uh ok, i hadn't heard of it i'll check that out.
but why lol do you think it's stupid to learn this or something

can i do debian instead dad

>computer architecture
My class was thankfully slow enough to digest. You could try recording them. good luck?

rsync

debian was the real answer all along

Are there any brands that just sell bare, beefy cpu heatsinks?
All I'd want is a medium-priced good heatsink tower without fans, since I can source fans for cheap without any problem, and already have plenty of varying fans.

Nah I can keep up with the pace quite easily I just don't think my method of taking notes of every single detail is effective. It's hard to know what I should / should not know, 5 minutes of talking turns into like paragraphs of my own note taking, it's a bad habit man.

went to one of their algo workshops, did really good and got a couple of interviews and did great on the interviews

>debian installing
k now what

tap urself on the shoulder for being a smart linux user n using free software and then install windows a week later cuz linux is a pain in the ass unless ur using it for servers or some shit like that

delete it and install gentoo

So you can't? Fucking goddamnit.

Thank you.

>be konqi
>literally have 3 k's in your design
>nobody cares
how?

What's a good 800-1000€ laptop for editing with photoshop and premiere. It's for uni so it has to be a laptop.

How is this book better than computer architecture a quantitative approach

I use PIA, it's good enough for it's price and would recommend if you don't want to spend too much money. I'm surprised your ISP goes after streaming, mine only sends notices if you torrent stuff.

I think prepaid should work as well, I'd be suprised if it didn't.

Is SICP a worthwhile booking reading through or am I being memed on very hard?

There is a reason it's no longer in a MIT course.

I recently installed Windows 10 to check it out and I'm gonna upgrade my CPU, Mobo and RAM. Do I need to reinstall it when I swap the parts, or can I keep my current installation?

I just bought pic related. But when I plug it in, only the light on 100Mbps connection turned on. Neither the 10Mbps connection or 1Gbps was on. Does this mean I don't have driver for the Gigabit connection? Or do I have to turn it on somewhere?

>Mobo
It varies. Windows 10 is generally pretty good at doing a repair boot, but it's recommended to do a clean install for best results, like when doing an upgrade. You'll definitely trip the license if you're using legit windows

windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Forgot to mention I'm using Mint.

>I'm surprised your ISP goes after streaming
I don't know that mine necessarily does, but I just don't feel safe about it. Plus I think a VPN is a good investment in any case, I'm new to all that

What's a computer?

I have the same card, it doesn't need anything extra for gigabit.
Check your dmesg about it's current speed.

So irssi is pretty shitty at tiling multiple windows.

Is there a client that actually does this well, or should I just do it all in tmux?

Anyone?

youtube.com/watch?v=hPNdcF-qPYI

How do I make the "search everything" search suggestions display more than one suggestion in the dropdown? As in so I can fucking visibly see them????

As it is I have to hit the up/down on my keyboard or the dropdown to switch the singular suggestion displayed to a different one. It's lowest common denominator, and by all accounts useless. I am very disappointed and I hope there is a fix somehow. I pasted the "about" window of the program in case you don't know which program I meant.

desu I just checked and it appears I don't have the latest version, so if it fixes this I will say so

Trying to install Mint over my Arch drive. The drive is showing three partitions in GParted; how do I overwrite them all with the new Mint installation as simply as possible?

enjoy your pita

any refurbished premium one

sorry my conscience doesn't allow me to help you

Requesting thread with CRT monitor tiers by decade, 1980 to 1990, 1991 to 2000, and 2001 to 2010 or whenever the CRT computer monitors started vanishing from the mass market.

"DDR" stands for "double data rate", it works by doing a data transfer on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal
this means that it can do two transfers per clock tick, hence the two numbers.
"400MHz DDR2-800" for example, is correct. the clock is 400MHz, and the transfer rate is 800MT/s
sometimes the "800" (in this example) is mentioned as "800MHz effective", which is for comparing to single-transfer-per-clock hardware
then of course there's people who just plain get confused and think it's actually 800MHz

waifu2x