It's time for Linux newbies to do battle

It's time for Linux newbies to do battle.

Ubuntu is based on debian, so debian>ubuntu.

Today's newbies prefer Mint.

What's the best debian based distro

debian

source mage

Ubuntu vs. Fedora is more interesting.

Debian

Debian isn't for absolute beginners.

Ubuntu vs Windows 10 is more interesting since the playing field is leveled

Debian for servers, Ubuntu for desktop.

More like Win10 vs Red Star OS

Tesla is based on a 1960s car so 1960s car>tesla... no wait...

On what car?

its all the same man.

newbies and lamers.

That analogy falls completely apart when you realize that Debian is actively developed and that Ubuntu just leeches off of it.

>Debian is actively developed and that Ubuntu just leeches off of it.
Debian and Ubuntu is pretty much diverged at this point. Ubuntu is currently in the process of discarding apt for their own packaging system, and there hasn't been any considerable upstream or downstream code sharing for at least half a decade.

Antergos werks fine and it's better because of rolling updates instead of worrying about `apt-get dist-upgrade`

Trisquel or gNewSense? Serious question, I have a Librebooted laptop I'm only going to use with free software.

Kali

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

>tfw Ubuntu LTS dominates "the cloud"

Debian without nonfree.

Nigger you can't even into english WTF.

>ubuntu is debian with improvements and fixes
>improvements and fixes are bad
Animenigger logic.

It's not my fault you are unfamiliar with Linux terminology desu.

>improvements and fixes
>ubuntu
you're braindead, retard

Ubuntu is random cuts of Debian Sid.

Not true at all. Ubuntu doesn't really get much from the Debian base anymore and Debian back ports a bunch of Ubuntu code into Debian. Debian security would be horrible if it wasn't for Ubuntu.

Nope

>t. btw I use arch

No it isn't. See I'm not even convinced that they are making any considerable effort to back port stuff either. Debian has simply stagnated.

I don't even know why this is a battle, Ubuntu is more efficient in resources and less bloated in general but has a more user friendly ecosystem, both have their advantages and disadvantages.
How about instead of shitposting like retards we work on making whatever distro we favor better so freedom can stand a chance in the years to come.

>Ubuntu is more efficient in resources and less bloated

Fuck my autism, I meant Ubuntu is more bloated
Please forgive

GNU/Windows.

How is debian a "newbie" distro? when doing a net install without installing a de it's all command line, which alone makes it not newbie

Ubuntu because Debian's packages are fucking ancient. And no, backports don't help at all. And no, testing and unstable aren't good

Mx linux

ubuntu is debian with insignificant patches, a pretty loading screen, telemetry botnet, and a crash reporter that doesn't work

Did a fresh install of Debian today, Mint has gone to shit

Why not LMDE?

Linux is for newbs tho, real men use bare BIOS.

Current ubuntu user for 3 years. Want to move over to debian for better performance a better beard. I also want to dump firefox and start using palemoon.

Managed to install ubuntu on latitude without fucking everything up. I'm scared now of changing distro and brick the laptop.

Want to move over to debian from ubuntu. I would use arch and those other fag distros but vmware doesnt play well when its the main thing I run.

>brick the laptop.
You cant brick a laptop from installing a os. And how could you possibly fuck up a ubuntu install? Its the easiest thing ever. Go hard and install debain on it or leave.

May as well recommend Mint. The primary reason you recommended Ubuntu was to break people of their pathing habits from Windows. The more a Linux distro looks like Windows the more they'll expect to to operate like Windows. Having some janky fucking desktop environment that is accessible but totally different from Explorer.exe is how you induce the user to test shit out. Having the taskbar means the user will just look for shit there like they do on Windows. Without Unity the only non-standard configuration these days is Gnome3 and fuck that DE. Cinnamon, KDE, XFCE and Lxqt all look like Explorer to a degree.

--spam filter bypass--
--and another one--
--another spam filter bypass--
--the last one--
I use antergos btw

What's the best DE for a Windows newcomer?
I want to try it on some Linux Distro.

I don't want a Windows look-a-like/clone, but something that I feel familiar with it.

This.

Debian.

"best" ehhhhh Kali is great for one thing only. I don't exactly use it for anything other than that though. My python development box is all comfy running ubuntu. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Unless you're absolutely briandead you'll figure out how to do just about anything you can do in Windows on Ubuntu within about 3 hours of fucking around with it.