/glmg/ - GNU/Linux Minimalism Thread

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software for GNU/Linux.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery
- Smaller attack surface

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

>Alpine Linux (Not GNU)
alpinelinux.org

>Void Linux
voidlinux.eu

>GNU GuixSD
gnu.org/software/guix/

>Gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Slackware
slackware.com/getslack/

>CRUX Linux
crux .nu/
crux .nu/Main/Handbook3-3

>Devuan (Stable is horribly outdated, so be sure to switch to a newer branch. There's also Debian if you want Poetteringd)
devuan.org/
devuan.org/os/releases
devuan.org/os/etc/apt/sources.list
wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/upgrade-to-ascii

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

>Pastebins
Alternative to Bloatware v1.2 pastebin.com/9NtiV5MB
Pure ALSA pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.

Other urls found in this thread:

crux
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)
alpinelinux.org
voidlinux.eu
gnu.org/software/guix/
gentoo.org/downloads/
debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get
suckless.org/rocks
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Firefox#Lack_of_sound_.28www-client.2Ffirefox-bin.29
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

TIME FOR THE CRUX CHALLENGE!!!
If we can get 5 anons here to install CRUX on either real hardware or VMware, it's here to stay!
If not, it's gone next thread!
No Virtualbox.

also heres the WM comparison

wasn't kvm allowed too?

I guess so. I just know that VMware and the real deal were the 2 situations people were having trouble on.

>minimalizm
>2018

top kek

>いいえ、バカ

I decline. Just remove it, only like 2 people from the last thread thought it works great... Let's be honest, it's trash. Replace it with LFS or CloverOS.

I guess I can join in on that. qemu-kvm.

they mainly had issues with uefi, you can run a qemu guest in kvm mode enabling uefi virtualization, so I guess that counts

cloveros is just a riced gentoo, crux can become the thread meme if we beat the challenge.

install crux does sound way cooler.

>Linux users are aimless, edgy, underage vandals who damage property just to rant about 'muh system' and 'muh fuck ms' faggottry
Imagine my shock

You'll grow out of the Linux bullshit and edginess soon enough neckbeards

who are you quoting?

The pic in the OP, I've also seen Linux grafitti plenty of times IRL.

kmandla used crux for a while

i used arch for awhile, that doesn't make it good.

t. satoshi

install OpenBSD

no

is it wrong that I know hiragana and katakana?

Sure. I would think that kmandla's blog 'ud be sacred writ here though.

Well you're a brainlet if you don't know the rest of the language with it

Should Devuan be removed too?

In the last few threads a guy pointed out that Devuan is not that good and minimal. The main points are:
> it does package splitting, but it fails at doing meta-packages right
> apt often pulls unnecessary stuff as dependencies
> netinst is bloated and brings too much stuff in your system
Here's the original post I personally don't agree that much with his reasons, but that's mostly just because I never used debian or a debian-based distro and I don't have enough examples to understand his reasons (unnecessary dependencies, like what? why do you even want to add an entirely meta-package in a minimal system?). Anyways, I'd like to discuss about it to see if it's worth keeping it in our /glmg/-approved distro.
I have expressed some reasons to keep it in this post . The main point is that we need at least an user-friendly minimal distro to make people doing a first big step towards /minimalism/. Every distro in op's list (except for devuan and maybe void) fails this requirement so, if we choose to remove devuan, we should find another baby-first minimalist distro. Something that is not only easy to install, but easy to maintain: good documentation, a lot of packages, good hardware support and everything you might need on your daily basis.

Daily reminders:
>the main goal is to use your system, not to be as minimal as possible
>you don't have to force yourself in by making your /bloated/ software /glmg/ approved; we are *discussing* minimal GNU/Linux software, it's okay if your system is not strictly minimal
>the number of packages you have installed in your system has nothing to do with minimalism and it depends on your distro

I'm the user with troubles for booting Crux. Yes, UEFI counts so much!

Here you go. Approved?

The previous was deleted.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WHAT THE HELL I DOING WRONG?

>trash
How so? Because you can't figure out how to install it? The handbook and wiki explain everything. It is honestly not hard at all.
It's nice to see a non-brainlet in one of these threads.

:(

Threadly reminder decimal kilobytes and bibibytes instead of proper binary kilobytes are bloat

Dont remove devuan, it has gone strong as the main replacement of debian and all the bloat it represents. Like another user said, is the best entry level minimal distro.

Don't feel too bad. I screwed up a few times too. Forgot to install efibootmgr and elfutils. I also restarted once when I noticed the default was to use BIOS mode, so I restarted to follow the UEFI-rule.

From memory. Boot in UEFI mode.
Partition for one EFI partition, and one root partition. format with mkfs.vfat amd mkfs.ext4. Mount to /mnt and /mnt/boot/efi.

Run setup and select grub2-efi, efibootmgr, and elfutils from opt (only select core, and say yes when you're asked if you want to select individual packages). remember to deselect lilo from core, but no biggie if you forget (can run prt-get remove lilo once chrooted).

If you want to download a new kernel, run dhcpcd your-nic, and copy the resolv.conf file from /etc to /mnt/etc. Run setup-chroot and compile your kernel with your required stuff (crux nu/Wiki/UEFI)(remember most things you require should be built into the kernel (*, not M)). make && make modules_install && make install. copy /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz-current.

Edit /etc/fstab to match your mount points, uncomment the lines above the bottom usb fs thing. run grub-install /boot/efi (ignore the guy that tells you to run it against something in /dev, he might be right, but you don't need to listen to him). grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Reboot. That should work, if I remembered everything correctly.

Thanks. People in other threads usually call me a brainlet or ask me to stop posting.

Thank you fucking very much, my dude. I'll try one more time

I would like to remind everyone to enable "PKGMK_IGNORE_NEW" in pkgmk.conf and "runscripts" in prt-get.conf They're nice to have since you won't get interrupted by footprint mismatches due to new files (usually not a bad thing), and prt-get will run the pre-/post-install scripts for you (they're usually safe to run repeatedly, they're usually used to rebuild caches and add system users when you install certain software).

I also recommend that people enable the contrib repository, and install prt-utils from opt. prt-utils comes with rejmerge that helps you merge config files after an update, and revdep that helps you find broken packages (jdk and texlive is always a false positive).

>is the best entry level minimal distro.
this. Devuan's staying.

Approved!

Property shouldn't exist and deserves to be destroyed

Thanks again!

routers and wifi networks are bloat.
All you need is one modem and one ethernet connection

Install V7/x86

This is a general for discussing minimal software for GNU/Linux and for helping you debloat your GNU/Linux system.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery

>Software minimalist standards
- Using a TUI when necessary
- Only using a window manager
- Using the terminal as a file manager
- Package count must be under 900 (unless you use production software such as gimp or kdenlive etc etc, it's okay)

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

>Alpine Linux (Not GNU)
alpinelinux.org

>Void Linux
voidlinux.eu

>GNU GuixSD
gnu.org/software/guix/

>Gentoo
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (netinst)
debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks

>Run setup and select grub2-efi, efibootmgr, and elfutils from opt (only select core, and say yes when you're asked if you want to select individual packages)

Why only core? And xorg, opt?

>and /mnt/boot/efi

I can't do this. Mount point does not exist. How you do that?

Literally make the directory?

You generally don't need all of opt and xorg. Those repositories contain a lot of different things. The bits you need is pulled in as dependencies for other applications. A fully functional setup with with Xorg only need parts of the xorg repository, and a handful of ports from opt. The only repository you should install everything from is core, since many packages will depend on applications and libraries from core, without listing anything from core as a dependency. e.g. not everything that depends on glib or ncurses will list those as dependencies, since they are in core.

Just mkdir it.

Crux
xbacklight: not working
trackpad, mouse point: not working
power management: not working

Kew distro dood

>mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
>mkdir /dev/sdb2 or sdb1/boot/efi

Doesn't work. No such file or directory.

If you don't know how to make a directory just stop. Try something like Slackware for a while.

Does anyone here have experience running a minimalist distro on Raspberry Pi? And if so, any suggestions? I'm trying to get my base system under 64 megs. Raspbian is way too bloated for an embedded device

>mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
>mkdir /dev/sdb2 or sdb1/boot/efi

>>mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
>>mkdir /dev/sdb2 or sdb1/mnt/boot/efi

Doesn't work. No such file or directory.

Alpine standard vs "virtual"?

Then you messed up somewhere along the installation. Try again

A distro with Xserver?

Ew.

Just run freebsd on a small pi and go full console

has anyone tried the alacritty terminal emulator? it's awesome having a GPU accelerated terminal (not to mention I found it insanely fast), but it uses like 40 MB of RAM per instance. It brings my idle system from about 260 MB to 301 MB while urxvt uses way less (like 10 MB per instance on my machine)
I am considering going back to urxvt from alacritty-scrollback. and no. won't switch to suckless software.
how do i reduce it's memory footprint? or i just should switch back?

mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi
>mkdir /dev/sdb2
WHAT THE FUCK!

When you configured the kernel did you choose the right drivers?
I don't know what you're doing so I'm just going to start from the top. Did you
>create and format the partitions (fdisk and mkfs)
>mount that partition at /mt
>setup
>during install check efibootmgr and grub2-efi from opt
>setup the chroot environment
Did you at least get to this stage?

Just switch back, and use the daemon/client system to reduce the ram usage even more. If you do that, it becomes even lighter than St.

No no, definitely no xserver. Freebsd is not an option as it's still missing some drivers for the RPi which I really don't feel like bothering to try to port over from linux.

I'm trying alpine now but it's got some issues with the kernel and I can't seem to get the ISO build script to work. So I just have to build it myself and modify the initramfs manually I guess.

/mt should be /mnt.
Also, what hardware are installing to? Are you dualbooting?

>mkdir /dev/sdb2
>sdb1/boot/efi
*giggles* user you're so silly!

Works on my X220. Check your kernel config.

Nah. user just forgot to add the -p option to mkdir.

>jag läser din e-
Can't make it out.

Standard

some packages will also install libsystemd. i thought that packages on a distro that is supposed to be systemd free would be compiled with those things disabled.

Mail.
Of course. So obvious.

Remember, the developers behind systemd have demanded to be included as a mandatory dependency on many packages, I believe GONE was one? Certainly I recall they tried with tmux, not sure if they succeeded.

Yeah sadly it's pretty unavoidable in a lot of cases. and I definitely remember that tmux thing. afaik they said no.

and on top of that, when merging some vital component into it, Poettering once said "Gentoo folks, this is your wake-up call."
fuck systemd

i did not find that but i found another reason to avoid systemd instead

Well, I did. Now it dropped to well below 260 with idle terminal only.

Wait does tmux really require systemd now?

>"Gentoo folks, this is your wake-up call."

>check the CRUX handbook
>says $ fdisk /dev/sd?
>blank instructions only recognized by veterans
Oh, so this is why our buddies cant into CRUX, they hit a noob filter.

No. Poettering asked them to do it, but afaik they said no.

Here's the sauce. If you ever wondered why Gentoo had to make eudev, this is why.
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html

So, it looks like your method is the correct one. Did not display that previous panic kernel. I'm just going to fix this problem with nouveau (my card is a GTX 1080) and I wanted to use nouveau for now, but I think I'll have to disable it in the kernel.

I'll be back!

I'm booting gentoo with the handbook in hand, currently I am in "Updating the @world set" with the command emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world then it ask me if I want to merge and I write yes and it goes along fine but suddenly a non stopping wall of text starts to appear, kinda look like a bash script and a lot of directories, is this shit normal and long? been like this for an hour and Im getting impacient

I LOVE YOU, user! I FUCKING LOVE YOU, BASED!

GOD BLESS YOUR SOUL!

Officially installed? Nice! Now we have 2 confirmed.

Yes! Fucking finally!

Thank you all for not giving up on me and for giving me the incentive to try again and again.

Seriously, thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

What is your opinion of X11, /glmg/?
Also official language of his general switched to nip when

X11 > Waylel
Blame freedesktop.org for the mistakes on X.

Anyone know how to get Firefox audio to work with ALSA?? Videos no longer have audio.

Apparently Firefox was about to make pulseaudio a hard dependency. I jumped out that ship before having more problems and I advice other people do. Maybe not the answer you like but is the truth.

Wayland is better overall, particularly from a security standpoint, but still not fully practical yet. It's getting there though, and Sway looks very nice.

Firefox now hard depends on PulseAudio. Thankfully Palemoon doesn't, and neither does any Blink-based or Webkit-based browser.

prt-get sysup and now I go to sleep. Good evening my fiends!

except it's not minimal at all, installer included. How is void not user friendly? You literally have to run the install script and you are done, it can get as user friendly or as advanced as you want it to be. If people have issues with that they do not belong in the thread imo.

Have you checked out the pastebins in the OP?

Wayland > X11, but we still need few more years to switch.
Since KDE and Gnome are already switching a huge step towards its direction is already done.

>and I wanted to use nouveau for now
Probably best to disable that and go straight for the efi framebuffer driver and the proprietary nvidia driver. Since your graphics card is so new.

What do I win? Took 2~ hours.

>What do I win? Took 2~ hours.
user. I'm so sorry~

>No Virtualbox.

I'm sorry senpai.

One more for the CRUX challenge!

Don't say I didn't warn you.
THE MEMES MUST LIVE ON

yes and its faster if you add --quiet to the command. if not then it will be only as fast as that shit can be rendered to the screen.

i dont think that its a hard dependency but you need to compile it yourself to enable support for alsa.

It displays progress if you set up your jobs. You should if you have the cores.
# Parallel builds
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=17 --load-average=16"
/etc/portage/make.conf lines 1-51/51 (END)

Alternatively use apulse.
>wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Firefox#Lack_of_sound_.28www-client.2Ffirefox-bin.29

i prefer to put video links to mpv and disable as much media features as possible on the browser.

mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
use fdisk to check how you have your drive partitioned and change or check what type of filesystem each partition is using

you can also make it bootable without grub if you have a efi system. just compile the kernel properly and add it to the boot list