Anyone here worked in computer repair? Any stories to share?

Anyone here worked in computer repair? Any stories to share?

>Sup Forums
>work

This place is for shitty meme's and useless threads with replies line mine.

suck me off faggot.

Yes I have one.
The other day came a guy with a broken notebook and I fixed changing the power button.
You can share it in Facebook

Loads of stories to tell
I have spent my whole life repairing computers

Heres a good story from way back when I first started a business with some guys we setup and maintain computer networks for small businesses. Guy asks us if we can install network and buys a really expensive watchguard router. Installing router, accidentally pick up the wrong power adaptor, plug it in and a small puff of black smoke emerges along with a huge smell of burning components. Router wont work. Go outside to discuss the router with colleagues. Decide to play innocent.
charge him for testing the router and ordering another one.

I have too many stories where people called me freaking over what turned out to be a loosed cable.

> I found nudes

I don't but I guess it's like plucking a chicken
>40-yo soccer mom comes with her computer
>"it's slow must have viruses please fix it"
>"ok give me a couple of hours"
>sit back
>clean browser history, defrag
>snoop a little
>"here you go, good as new. There were many viruses that took much work and very professional tools."
>overcharge
>she actually pays because she knows shit

A company we did work for asked us if we could manage their server. They wanted a windows terminal server so their users could log in on thin clients. "sure thing" You need two servers as we will will create a clone on one so that if one goes down we switch to the other. The servers arrive at our office. We setup one server for them and put linux on the other and made ourselves some fuckin awesome media server and internet proxy with the other. Great thing is about a year later their company went bust and they gave us both servers as a final payment for money they owed us, and all their laptops and desktops and NAS which were the cool ones with drive mirroring and raid array capabilities

> T. 3rd world "" IT Enginneer""

Hi Pajeet.

That Computer Science degree from an Indian college really paying off huh

Back in 2004, when I was working as an independent consultant, I got a call from a Toronto recruiter looking for someone to do some semi-urgent work for a state agency in Massachusetts.

Apparently they had an upgrade to NetWare 6.5 go awry a few months previously and had been unable to get things going properly. Things worked, mostly. Users could login, access files, and do most things, but none of the management tools or extra features.

I agreed to a rate, and they think I'll need a week or so to sort this out so i flew to Boston.

The following morning, I go into the office and meet the folks. I'm assigned to work with Mark who gives me the admin passwords.

So I start going through the list of things that aren't running... Checking them all one by one. The common factor between them is that they're all dependent on LDAP for authentication. Ok.. check LDAP... Not running.

So, I start looking at LDAP. Turns out it was failing due to an old self-signed certificate on the server being corrupt. Now, something like step 14 in the documented upgrade process is to regenerate the self-signed certificates. I do so, and LDAP starts up just fine. The other services? Now that LDAP is running, are quite happy to start.

Glance at my watch: 10:30AM. I drove for 10 hours, and booked a week in a hotel, to resolve a problem in just over an hour. All was not lost though, they had me upgrade the remaining 6 servers (3 in Boston, and 3 spread across the state) so I ended up being there for the full week. As I left the hotel to head for the airport I whistled for a cab and when it came near I saw the license plate said "Fresh" and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, "Nah, forget it. Yo, home to Bel-Air." I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie, "Yo home smell ya later." I looked at my kingdom; I was finally there to sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel-Air.

> Any stories to share?
you'll never know the hard old days, before Windows, before ATX, before you could look shit up on the internet. I used to have to put new drivers and BIOS files on our company BBS.

>wrote an hypothetical scenario of what do if worked in computer repair
>muh pajengineer

I haven't been Bel Aired in years. Thank you user.

I don't want to type much right now, but suffice to say that problems with malware are way down but the volume of business has been kept high by problems with windows itself. 99% of the time, yes literally that often, no supposed solution besides a full wipe/reinstall works. I have not ever been successful with DISM or sfc /scannow

>no supposed solution besides a full wipe/reinstall works
protip: users are too stupid to be their own admin. take away admin credentials and they can't install hurrrNakedCelebPicsTotallyNotAVirus.exe

This just happened to me in the last week.
>get call from local senior facility
>says computer is broken, screen is only blue
>Please help, user! Please!
>drive there
>see it's just a BSOD
>reboot, enter BIOS, click a bunch of random keys, boot into Windows, open cmd and spam it with dir just to pretend that I'm doing work
>people around oohing and aahing
>Wow! user, I wish I was that good at computers!
>mfw I get paid 60 dollars for that

>be a lowly intern
>doing lowly intern shit
>old man comes into locked server room
>"how tf you get in here?"
>"My phone is broke. Can you fix it young man?"
>sure thing homie
>close app
>reopen app
>fixed

turns out he was the CEO. dude loved me.

>write story about how much of a piece of shit you would be
And you're surprised at being called out as a pajeet why exactly?

>t.nigger

Peoples' laptops are disgusting.
I used gloves and fucking mask, to make sure, that I will not catch cough or AIDS.