/daily/ - Ramona Flowers edition

It's the 2nd of October

The point of these threads, is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to, and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

We track our progress using calendars, which we fill with the albums we listen to on each day and a rating of some sort for all of them. There are templates in the following posts. We encourage you to write the albums' titles and the artists' names somewhere on your calendar. We don't have any tools for creating these calendars, we use simple image editing softwares. You can predetermine a schedule for a month or you can report back on whatever album you randomly picked every day. Many of us make our schedules interesting in various way, popular ones being genre restrictions, new releases, and recs from the /daily/ community.

We had a plug.dj room, which we used to shitpost for a little while. It's now forever empty, so if you want to spend a little time there, it is too late. You can find the temporary substitute here though:

>synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel

no one should really be able to start the threads, but usually one of /daily/'s dedicated trips starts them anyways.

We encourage you to start it, just be sure to use the standard OP.

Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random shit:
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/

Most importantly, RAMOOOOHNAAAA:
youtube.com/watch?v=2ByxR5Fmo0g
Previous garbage:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~eamonntheblade
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For the boys (of c93)

i have failed v.v

It's okay this happens all the time I still love you.

this ost was pretty darn good, not gonna lie

i feel overwhelming shame...

>tfw don't feel like listening to music and just wanna jack off
will take a shower, jack off, maybe eat lunch then go listen to Health and Efficiency

wew lad (of c93)

:^)

Hey daily
Are you getting drunk at a house party with givingbear and listening to death grips
Oh no wait
That's me
Kek
I love y'all tho
Anyway I'mma go have more beer now

wow tmi dude

Jack off in the shower
Health and Efficiency while eating lunch
you now have more time for free jazz, you're welcome

>Health and Efficiency while eating lunch
That's healthy and efficient.

Round 5: The End

Dogwanderer
>Scott Walker – Tilt
Only a few times have I seen a more appropriate album art. “I have no idea what this even is, but it looks sweet as fuck and I can’t look away.” Of his more experimental pieces I’ve heard, this has to be his best. In fact, it’s my favorite album by him that I’ve heard yet. He brings the baroque pop progressions and heavy orchestrations from his earlier works and fuses them near perfectly with the ominous atmosphere and dark ambient/industrial instrumentation that’s found in his newer works. I like Bish Bosch and The Drift a lot, but they’re a bit too much style and no grace. This is the perfect fusion of the experimental and orchestrated. A few lacking parts in the middle, like “Face on Breast”, but nothing is ever boring or out-of-place feeling. Damn good.
8.5+

sorry for being so lewd
>Jack off in the shower
yeah that's what I intend to do
>Health and Efficiency while eating lunch
possbly
>you now have more time for free jazz, you're welcome
thanks for helping me be more poseur, lad

Eruditey
>Tigran Hamasyan – Luys I Luso
In this world of piano liturgical music, atmosphere is key, and the mood is well set by most of these pieces. Honestly, most of the piano pieces I found to only are sort of engaging. The vocals, however, were fantastic. I was almost completely lost at the parts where the vocals matched up perfectly with the piano pieces. I mean, I know these songs were most likely performed in this fashion, but why not just have no piano in these parts? Save a few songs, the piano-only pieces just bored me. I’m actually a sucker for the ol’ crescendo, and this got me a few times, but I was never completely captivated by it, no matter how much I revisited certain aspects of it. At its best it is emotional and atmospheric, and at its worst it is repetitive and tedious.
5.5+

Yamir
>Sun Ra – The Magic City
45 minutes of doodling noise, that is, some of the best dooling noise out there (at least for the first half). “The Magic City” is loud, detailed, expressive, and all over the fucking place. Listening to this piece gives you no chance to think about anything else and DEMANDS your attention. It pulls in and lets go for a second as a teaser so the next hit comes even harder. The whaling at the 18 minute mark is a perfect example of this, and the unpredictability that comes with this dude’s works. While the title track is epic and ever-changing, the second track, “The Shadow World”, is one of my favorite Sun Ra tracks to date. In about half the runtime there is more variation and expression than is shown in the previous track. It relies more on planning and rhythm than the title track, but not to an extent where the free expression is lost. However, the last two “abstract” pieces, though nice, pale vastly in comparison to the first two tracks. Pretty disappointed by the ending but the two longer tracks were ace.
7.5+

Tripfriend OTS
>Fred Frith – Guitar Solos
A few months ago, I did a Zappa chart where like 5 of the 100 albums were just his guitar solos. And while the dude did have some moments and technical prowess, it was mostly needless wankery, and not much being added to original pieces. Honestly, I wish more of those albums had an attitude towards guitar proficiency like this does. Firth demonstrates some SERIOUS chops that to some might not be immediately apparent. Instead of thinking “woah sweet lick!” I kept finding myself thinking “how the fuck did he do that? That’s sweet!” How guitar solos are meant to be imo. The prog vibe on a few of the longer tracks were immediate hits with me. In fact, the best parts were always the longer ones, “No Birds”, “Out of Their Heads”, and “Glass c/w Steel” were shiners, but the shorter pieces were occasionally stinkers. If the shorter tracks were fleshed out and almost twice as long, this would be an undisputed masterpiece. But for now, it’s merely “very very good.”
7.0-

Congrats to Dogwanderer on being king of taste!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for playing! It’s your enthusiasm, willingness, involvement, and (mostly) good taste that keeps me doing dumb shit like this. And I’m sorry if I didn’t like your album as much as you wanted me to, but that’s what makes these things so fun and interesting, right? Thanks a lot for being cool guys :D

Now on to the 128 trip tourney! Taking recs now!

Do I need to be pretty deep into jazz as a genre to appreciate Sun Ra? I've listened to some of the landmark jazz albums like Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme and all that and I want to give some of Sun Ra's music a shot because I know it's supposed to be insane but I don't know if I'll be able to get as much out of it.

holy shit you finished this fast

I have to applaud you for that

also, congrats on winning, Doggy
can I rec Ground Zero's Consume Red?

In all seriousness though, thanks again everyone!

I'm gonna be in New York for about a week, so I won't be visiting for a bit.

Everyone have fun without me! (I'm sure you will)

I'm not even going to read that trash review
What utter plebeian bullshit

>I'm gonna be in New York for about a week
aw shit that sounds fun

I hope to go there someday

enjoy your trip!
>Everyone have fun without me! (I'm sure you will)
you help make /daily/ a fun place, lad

even with your somewhat disagreeable taste at times

I would say you have to appriciate the "freer" side of it, yes, but he's not super inaccessible.

Try out some of the Jazz essentials before getting into stuff like the Magic City, but even Sun Ra has more accessible stuff like Lanquidity and Space is the Place. (I'm still a Jazz pleb, so I'm maybe not the best guy to ask).

:D

backlog'd!

D:

That's what you get for beating me in round one

No, Sun Ra is often laughed upon by jazz fans even. But stuff like Space is the Place and Atlantis aren't the easiest records, but he has a lot of fusion stuff that's not too weird. They are more subtle though so maybe they are more difficult to appreciate in a way, as the others are just mind-glowingly weird.

guess whose room is full of ANTS

New York City or more closer to Buffalo? If it's the latter we gotta hang out

WOW.

smol ants are in the compy repeat ants have infiltrated the machine
code red
going Offline, see you memes Monday maybe?

The ants have risen, we were fools to think our species could coexist for so long. Godspeed brother.

Fuck you :(

Jk kidding, FISH, you're my favourite new trip

here's a chart updtate for nobody but myself

No need fo dat
Good for you for getting farther than 9.0s and 9.5s

i came up with a couple things

1. "third degree heart burn"
and
2. (on patents) "here's a patent for u, 'i know what's mine, and i got a 9'"

thanks

I am seriously greaving right now, please leave me alone.

baka lol wtf is this

>Girl Band - The Early Years
Fairly energetic indie punk with a slightly bizarre and noisy twist. I especially enjoy the house-like repetition and bassy noise on Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage. I think I’ll check out their full length album.

>Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter One: Gens de Couleur Libres
I listened to Coin Coin chapter three as part of an “end of the year” chart I did last year, and listening to this is making me regret not checking out more of Matana Roberts’s stuff. Some of the vocal parts with the WEI-RD ENNnnnN. UN-SEEEE! atioNS can be a little annoying but other than that this album serves as a great reminder of the new channels jazz musicians can continue to explore.

Good Friend Rodriguez advances. Hopefully no one will take that as a signal to rec me any Sun Ra.

Protip: Sgt. Pepper's sounds way better when played through speakers and not headphones. Unless for some reason you really like the sound of vocals in one ear and drums in the other.

This is /daily/ hoe. We put on trips and shitpost and listen to free jazz.

albums I bought in Japan #6:

Marshall McLuhan - The Medium is the Massage

"How do you like it so far" the album said when it started playing. The answer to that question continued to stay positive as the album went on. This was fun shit. Interesting and creative sound collage stuff and made in 1967 which is kinda surprising. A fitting musical adaptation of what I hear is a crazy book. I can see this becoming a favorite of mine someday. 4/5

>Screenshot 2016-05-13 01.58.46.png
for what purpose

What do you mean for what purpose?
(Maybe you're not referring to the file name but that's automatically generated when you take a screenshot on OS X, but maybe you're talking about the fact that he even took a screenshot)

What's that like the New Zealand edition of SPLHCB?

>file>saving
lmao u little boy

something like that

I'm wondering why he took a screenshot yeah

>lmao u little boy
(from c93)

(from c93) is now tm'd to !vApOrzfuok
please refrain from using it in the future

Oh... never mind. I am a dumb man.

The actual image is in a keynote file that I keep a bunch of /daily/ related stuff in, so sometimes when I update the tourney I take a screenshot of it to use.

you can't do that to me, man

I helped pioneer the meme
oh okay

Like upstate, and I'm gonna be with senpai all week, so probably won't happen :((

lmaoooo

Fun fact: That's actually Hendrix to the right Zappa there. He just happened to be in the same building when they were shooting that cover.

i
got
a

oh cool neat fun fact

and I've got dubs

wassap my dudes
it is 2.30 on a friday
gotta smash out 3 essays before the end of the month wish me luck

and I've got Meme Haino

watch yourself, mate

what am I seeing here

good luck

also, is this 2:30 AM or PM?

o.o

a hot mess

PM

what country do you live in, man?

Straya

ah okay

I believe Dogwander's going there sometime soon

if you get to see him, post about that shit

So what is /r/daily listening to/doing today?
I'm on a bus to some blegh company for a course. Just listened to Coltrane's Meditations, which sounded kind of like you'd expect Meditations to sound I guess? They were a bit too meandering for me (especially the first track), but it got better towards the end.
Now I'm listening to Margo Guryan - Take A Picture. I have no idea how this ended in my backlog, the singing is very nice, but the instrumentation is whack and especially the guitar solos feel out of place.

Marie Möör, Jack Belsen, Jac Berrocal, Joachim Montessuis, Gaspar Claus, Olivier Mellano, Laurent Chambert - Le Vers De la Morte
Occasionally excellent post-rock with a reading of a poem by some medieval french guy underneath, really wish I could find a translation of the poem (although reading a translation of poetry is analougous to trying to tie a necktie with your feet) because it sounds like a genuinely interesting concept, It's just that I can't understand French because I'm a philistine. It's on my bucket list to learn another language though, it'll probably be either French or Russian necessitated by my areas of interest in History
back to the music, it's good but occasionally wanders into the territory of generic post-rock wankery by nature of it's meanderings. The french over the top sounds good, I just wish I could understand it.

Doc Watson - Memories
I can hambone to this, pretty good country
doesn't really hold interest as long as I'd like
still, you won, cangrats

recs Open, pls rec, there is a restriction

Australia's a pretty big place, If he comes to perth mayb

>So what is /r/daily listening to/doing today?
This Heat - Health & Efficiency

this is not what I was expecting it to sound like but it's still fucking cool as fuck
>Margo Guryan - Take a Picture
good album

agree with you about the instrumentation sometimes

Hm yeah I wasn't too far in when I said that, it gets better, but it's still not all that good.

Cool, anything you liked most?

Oops I accidentally deleted that post haha

Those are all pretty old favorites. I didn't listen to anything new today if I remember right.

I am also listening to jazz. Revisiting Keïta, Niggli and Brönniman on Kalo-Yele, at the moment. I have really been digging Intakt Records catalogue lately.

Probably going to listen to the National Jazz Ensemble featuring Gerry Mulligan afterwards, that was a nice piece of progressive big band.

Thinking about to a round robin style tournament, however I doubt I would have the time right now. Maybe after my exams are done.

>albums by dead peepo
how about SMOKE - Another Reason to Fast

>albums by dead people
The Loud Family - Plants and Birds and Rocks and Things

who dis

who me? i'm kinda new. lurk a lot but don't post much

The spots are already taken unfortunately, I'll save you a spot on the next one?

that's np. i appreciate it :)

What's your RYM so I can remember?

Have you heard Absolutely Free by the Mothers of Invention?

rateyourmusic.com/~eamonntheblade
and no I haven't

Zappa's dead as shit listen to that

haha perth what a loser :^)

Hamboning is good. I'll take hamboning.

>dead people
Nujabes - Modal Soul

t'was a sad death ;_;

whoa. wasn't expecting this unassuming dream pop album to be so good. also how this was made in 2016 eludes me. pls listen

btw i had a thought about melt banana. as a noise rock group their sound is pretty underwhelming most of the time, but if they added electronics i bet it would be great. do they have albums like that besides cellscape or no?

But I like Scott Pilgrim.

Go back to /r9k/.

u need to update ur repertoire, my man. that meme is stale af.

You need to go back to /r9k/ is what you gotta do my bud. We don't discard perfectly good memes willy-nilly just because they got a little stale around here. We don't tolerate that sorta decadence.

idk actually i always wished to create an online persona, sort of detach myself from myself. i made my attempts in various spaces but it wasn't easy to maintain for me
i'd like to see more people trying, ones that have original ideas, because that can be very artful
on that note, props to Mark And

>on that note, props to Mark And
what

im sorry i guess i should probably familiarize myself w/ ur culture a little better

This is true.

wow dude
no

nuthin, just that your TE shenanigans came to mind when typing that
i just wish you'da fleshed out your other alter egos more, like indie storm and uhh yeah thats the only other one i remember

u absolute motherfucker stop that

w-wow how did i manage to post 20 seconds apart
...fuck.

Machinefariek, Forest Swords and Tim Hecker tonight. I am seriously hype.

>posting the vastly inferior 3d version
>mfw

just get outta here you poser

>TE shenanigans
yeah those were fun but I don't really do that stuff much anymore

I did it two nights ago when I couldn't sleep and it didn't quite feel the same
>i just wish you'da fleshed out your other alter egos more
TE ended up being the most well known and attacked one so I just stuck with him
>like indie storm and uhh yeah thats the only other one i remember
yeah TE, Indie Storm and early Mark And !JEZcL9RRk. (which was a bloody awful "alter ego") were my most used ones

fun times some of those days

>he even got my trip digits
i promise i will never post 3d again senpai (except maybe hunther)

>posting the colored version
I don't see how that's any better tbqh.

Guys r8 my objectively patrician 1D waifu

but more importantly if u ever post my shit again im gonna fuck u up man
in a way you DONT like
not like
the way
you do

faggot

[eye roll]

>avant-sexuality
best taste on Sup Forums