Be in band

>be in band
>take break from shows since november
>last few months we really buckled down and recorded some tracks with nice production
>have a show booked in late june and will have cds to sell/give/trade with new material
>today receive an invitation to my niece's quinceanera
>never ever see her except for the odd family event
>she's from a half-sister that I have basically zero social relationship with
>still, family pressure, scorn, ect

goddamn what the fuck do I do? any other musicians make difficult choices between shows/opportunities over family events and significant social functions?

Ditch the shit out of your niece's fifteenth birthday party, you're employed as a damn musician and if you've got a job to do, then do it. If she's not an entitled pissant or anything, mail her a "feliz cumpleaƱos" card with a gift card in it and a half-assed apology scribbled on one side. If she gets something out of it, I doubt she'd care that the uncle she's met like twice isn't there when she gets a new car and a tiara.

do you want to be a famous musician or do you want to have your half-sister like you?

Just kidding, you'd never be famous anyway

Alternatively, you could talk to your niece and see how she and her friends feel about moving the party to a cool rock show

In that situation where you barely know her, I'd play the show. Your family will get over it. It's not like you missed your sibling's wedding or something.

U srs nigger? She's fucking fifteen abd you're actually considering skipping out on playing and getting paid? Smdh

ugh, this fuggin guy... grow the fuck up op

The show is already booked so go do that. People miss family events all the time, it's no big deal.

sorry but I am a mere amateur musician in an amateur band. most we get is gas fare from cool promoters. we still made a commitment and this person has the pull to add bands to bigger shows.

Mish Way of White Lung ditched her own college graduation to play a show. She got shit from her family but now White Lung is crushing it across the world. Si se puede guey.

> White Lung is crushing it across the world.

there should really be no doubt about this then

As far as musical careers go, they've got it pretty good dude.

Post picture of niece and I'll let you know.

I hope you're not expecting a fair perspective from a 15yo niece discussion board

White Lung pls go

Play the show, dipshit. This shouldn't even be up for debate.

>mfw i ditch family events so i can jerk off and play video games
ur good man

What's more important to you? Your band or your half-sisters kid you've got no relationship with?

The answer stands before you.

Go to this fucking show

Dude, this shouldn't even be a fucking question. You're a huge faggot if you don't play that show.

If your heart's not into your music then you shouldn't have a band. a gig is a gig. unless you want to be that balding asshole who still plays local venues, I'm sure you're family will understand(support) you.

don't be a sellout

Invite her to the show and fiegn ignorance when she asks whether you got her invitation
Now she's the asshole if she doesn't turn up

The show's already booked so do that. What's your band's name?