/pcbg/ - PC Building General: Gaymer RGB Edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X ARE SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G, BUT UNLESS YOU BUY A COMBO YOU'LL LIKELY NEED TO HAVE THE BIOS UPDATED
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-H-GAMING/
msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC
tweaktown.com/reviews/8424/msi-z370-gaming-pro-carbon-ac-motherboard-review/index3.html
ccleaner.com/speccy
247wildlife.com/snakedrinkwater.html
pcpartpicker.com/product/gXnG3C/msi-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-video-card-gtx-1050-2g-oc
guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-rog-strix-z370-f-gaming-review,4.html
segmentnext.com/2018/02/20/nvidia-ampere-gaming-graphics-cards/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_M1070
lc-power.com/en/product/netzteile/metatron-series/lc8850iii-v23-arkangel/
raidmax.com/power-supplies_rx-850ae-b.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

which motherboard do i get
asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-H-GAMING/

or

msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC

First for saving $50-150 and buying prebuilt

$150 prebuilt? Better not be a 3rd gen i5 with a low profile 1050ti.

Which one offers the best warranty?

Reading comprehension

Strawman

i don't really care about the warranty
I don't have any use for usb c, so i was leaning towards the ROG STRIX

but muh RGB lights

the case it goes in is phantex ethoo evolv

How do i download ryzen shit on windows 8.1? im not upgrading to winjew10

Keks on that pic

>I don't want windows 10, but 8.1 is fine
lmao

Find their VRM qualities and look at what features they have in BIOS.
Do you know what you sound like right now?

Alright lads. Visiting the USA for a few months at the moment and from a quick look, graphics cards seem to be a few hundred dollars cheaper than what I can get back in the UK so I'm considering picking up either a 1070ti, 1080 or 1080ti.

Not been here before so still working out the tech stores. What places generally have the best prices and are also likely to get some stock in the next couple of months? I'm thinking best buy is probably my best bet or if nvidia somehow gets some stock in on their website, I could opt for a founders edition card and get an after market cooler (still much cheaper than anything I can get at home). Best buy website has a few cards in stock but they appear to be in-store only and there are no stores within 250 miles of me with any stock of pretty much anything right now. Appreciate any input.

Pc is finally built. What are some needed softwares? Not including steam of course.

vrm quality
why

They're overclocking boards so I assume you would want good VRMs.

i mean, I don't think I would be able to find that information anywhere

There are plenty of board reviews out there. Do a quick search for "xxxx VRM quality".

Well
tweaktown.com/reviews/8424/msi-z370-gaming-pro-carbon-ac-motherboard-review/index3.html
I don't know what that means when it says "8+2 phase configuration"
or a UPI semiconductor and how that affects my overclocking

Windows 95 and IE 5.5 SP2

Well obviously

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

7-zip
AMD software/geforce experience
HWMonitor/CPU-Z
GPU-Z
Crystaldiskinfo
qBittorrent

Got an iBuyPower PC as a gift back in 2013, and now that my laptop is slowly dying I'm looking to re-optimize this thing. Budget is around 700 USD, and I'm using this for gaming. I'll follow this post up with a screenshot of the replacements I'm looking at. Would really like some suggestions. I'm brand new to this.

That actually kills the snake. They are meant to get all their water from the food they eat.

Can you go on your PC and take a screencap of speccy?
ccleaner.com/speccy

Pt. 2. Here are the replacement parts I'm looking at. Again, feel free to drop some suggestions.

I've been having trouble getting it connected to the internet, otherwise I would. I'll try to update tomorrow.

247wildlife.com/snakedrinkwater.html
>Like most animals, a snake will simply drink water. What it does is position itself in a puddle or near a stream and places its mouth into the water and drink. We see this kind of behavior in many animals, but snakes are different because they do not have appendages. They have a lot of control of their heads and neck area, so they simply put their head in the water and slurp up the water with their tongues. Because of their need to drink this way they are often looking for shallow sources of water. This means that they will frequently find puddles after rain storms to get their water from. They may also come close to a stream or gutter to get the water.

how bad is a 1680x1050 monitor?

What if it is thirrrsssssssty?

Well, now is not the time to buy a PC. Your CPU is fine, and what I would do is buy 16GB of memory and maybe a better PSU like the FOCUS Plus Gold 650.
Video cards are insanely overpriced so try to find a good deal on a 980 Ti for $450 or less if you can.

Do you think it'd be a good idea to get a 1050 for $160 and then just upgrade it in a few months?

You can go cheaper, example from MSI here:
pcpartpicker.com/product/gXnG3C/msi-geforce-gtx-1050-2gb-video-card-gtx-1050-2g-oc

new cseries of nvidia cards are coming out this april round abouts. Might aswell wait as you'll be able to get something better for cheaper. Though Nvidia admits that the cards are really just another refresh.

>discord

They're alright, much better than 720p but 1080p content doesn't scale quite right.

It all longs good nigger. I'm jealous

>thirrrsssssssty?
I'll gut you like a fish

>Do you think it'd be a good idea to get a 1050 for $160 and then just upgrade it in a few months?
no cause in the end your wasting $160. Keep your eyes out for a deal nigga. Easter is coming

Anyone else had an experience getting AMD's free boot kit for their 2200/2400G?
An automated ticket email got sent to me 2 days ago when I asked for the RMA but I haven't gotten anything else since.

That snake is so fat it would be a four hundred pound man if it was a human being. I think it's had enough food.

I don't think my current motherboard supports DDR4, so I would have to swap that out as well if I got new memory

>The VRM on the motherboard is in an 8+2 phase configuration and uses double the number of MOSFETs per phase for the CPU VCore and a doubler for the iGPU with a two low one high configuration.

Count the number of chokes you can see around the heatsink and divide by 2 and subtract 1 shortbus. You want at least 4 phases for the CPU, there's 1 for the iGPU as well though.

okay

they have the exact same amount

>guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-rog-strix-z370-f-gaming-review,4.html
Don't be confused here because the reviewer is probably wrong. It's not actually a 10 phase because there are no power controllers like that on the market, it's probably another 8+2 both of which use doublers giving you a 4+1 configuration which is identical. So it comes down to the quality of the MOSFETs and the surface area of the heatsinks. Both heatsinks are terribly inefficient looking from the lack of fins. They're probably comparable though, so I'd just get the cheaper one.

Trying to upgrade this thing. I'll only need new cpu, mobo, and ram. Won't be getting a gpu because the prices suck. How's the Intel G4600?

god i wish that were me

No one recommends them right now. Look into an AMD Ryzen 2200G

Not really an upgrade. I would go for a 1200 or 2200G because they have 4 real cores.

Raidmax Cobra rx-850ae-b or
LC Power LC8850III V2.3 Arkangel 3

Next generation of gpus when?

might be announced in april

Do you have links to those?
Never.

segmentnext.com/2018/02/20/nvidia-ampere-gaming-graphics-cards/
Nvidia won't be releasing anything new for a while.

>Visiting the USA for a few months
buy yourself this 1070 then
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_M1070
the price would be similar anyway

I noticed after installing my graphics card that my computer doesn't fall asleep. If I try to manually put it to sleep it just wakes up instantly. What is the issue?

lc-power.com/en/product/netzteile/metatron-series/lc8850iii-v23-arkangel/
raidmax.com/power-supplies_rx-850ae-b.html

not sure if best place to post this, but do old AMD laptops exist? like something really shitty that i can use for a linux machine and overclock tinkering(ya i know, bad idea in a laptop. just for fun). an old phenom or athlon 64, something like that.
i spent all day yesterday checking ebay and hardwareswap but everyone only has much more modern laptops with intel stuff. wouldnt mind intel but im guessing a lot of these intel processors are locked.

Yes, but if you want an overclockable CPU in a laptop, you're pretty much out of luck. AMD or Intel, almost everything is locked in laptop space.

My thinkpad E145 I bought 5 years ago has an AMD E1-2500

neither

damn. well the overclocking part was just an added bonus i wanted. i had a lot of fun overclocking my old AM3 rig so i wanted to mess around with that stuff again.
thanks ill look around for something like this. happn to know any other AMD laptops? or perhaps are you thinking of selling yours?

It's a really shitty laptop though I bought for school work. Fucked around alot with it so I don't feel comfortable selling to anybody. Finding an overclockable laptop is quite difficult because cooling is non-existent.

well like i said, that was just a side thing i was hoping i could do. i mostly want it as a linux machine. anyway its cool; i have something to go off of now at least, i literally couldnt find a single amd laptop yesterday. must be a brainlet or something

nothing better here, at least not what i can afford because there's basically a monopoly on computer component imports by one firm

Intel bribed alots of laptops/prebuilts manufacturer to only use their cpu.

check jonnyguru.com for reviews on each and choose the best one

Based AMD making PC gaming affordable again

>Based AMD making PC gaming affordable again**
>when it's on 720p
>and low settings
>and 30fps
>and using 3200mhz ram

>Nvidia won't be releasing anything new for a while.
I hope your not saying that they won't be releasing gpu's middle of this year(april). Cause I did say refresh. Which is pretty much confirmed with jacket man saying their architecture is the best and they don't plan on changing a couple months ago

>memeing this hard
>not going 2200G RX550 combo

why bother with an APU if youre going to have dedicated graphics? just get a ryzen 5

>If I try to manually put it to sleep it just wakes up instantly.
probably not your gpu. If you try putting it asleep without closing bittorrent it'll just wake up. My best bet and I havn't bothered looking it up. But i think your computer has to many programs running to be able to store it all on the ram(ram doesn't have enough space). So your computer just restarts rather than lose your session you seemed so eager to save.

What cheap pre builts are there that i could put a ryzen 2200 in? I was thinking of getting a dell optiplex but I'm not certain what one i should get

AMD shill here.
Just dropping in to call you an idiot.

fuck off, none of these literally-who sites have a reasonable source. unless nvidia themselves say they're not announcing anything i'm not believing them.
GTC/GDC is the best time for new architecture announcement and they know that. they have no interest in waiting until computex.

>ryzen 2200
you'd need a new mobo then
which means new ram
which means pre-built is a waste of time and money.

>£156
Or
>£86

2200G is worth performance trade off and that price

Don't computers a mobo and ram to work? I was looking at some that had 4 gigs that were 130+ and in the last/pcbg/ someone said to buy a pre built office Pc and put a gpu in

maybe im misunderstanding something here. APU is a fancy name for system on chip. the 2200g has graphics already, adding a dedicated video card to the mix is not a smart idea.
either go with the apu and no dedicated graphics, or buy a cpu with dedicated graphics.
a rig with an RX550 in it would be much better off with a ryzen 5, or even 3 maybe, rather than an APU.

Why would you get an RX550 with 2200G when the iGPU is already practically on par with it?

I don't have bittorrent running or any other programs running besides steam. I have plenty of ram left unused according to task manager.

i dont think he understands what an APU is

Bitcoin down 15% in two days. We might actually see cheap GPUs soon

the thing is that 2200g is cheaper than R3 1200 AND has igpu as a bonus. 2400g costs barely more than 1400/1500x. so raven ridge basically replaces them.
the only next choice is 1600, which already costs twice as much as 2200g

this is fine but having a dedicated gpu along with an apu makes no sense. that is not smart pc building.

>We might actually see cheap GPUs soon
no we won't. it was at 6.5k 2 weeks ago and it bounced up to 11k again. 15% down is nothing.
also bitcoin itself going down won't do much when you have loads of other shitcoins.

>this is fine but having a dedicated gpu along with an apu makes no sense
so in your opinion it's better to get inferior cpu that costs more??
are you retarded? month ago you'd pick r3 1200, which is now superseded by r3 2200g, which happens to also have a igpu. it's that easy

>this is fine but having a dedicated gpu along with an apu makes no sense.
It makes plenty of sense with the prices we're getting. What DOESN'T make sense is getting one like 550 which doesn't even really outperform the integrated GPU.

>month ago you'd pick r3 1200, which is now superseded by r3 2200g, which happens to also have a igpu. it's that easy
if its just that, absolutely you are right. but when you throw a dedicated gpu into a rig with an apu? makes no sense, not logical and a waste of money.
again: either get an APU and no dedicated gpu, or buy a CPU with a dedicated graphics card.
one or the other, not both. this is the simplest way i can explain this

you realize you can't even buy an intel cpu without a gpu?

>but when you throw a dedicated gpu into a rig with an apu?
because while their igpus still aren't as good as dedicated gpus like gtx 1060, so you add it to have more performance. as i said the next cpu worth buying is r5 1600, but if you don't need 6c/12t then why spend twice as much on a cpu?

old mobos use dd3 ram. New mobo's use ddr4 ram.
You need a new mobo to use a new cpu.

Thanks for the explanation

>Thanks for the explanation
I mean ryzen won't work with an older mobo. Because of how new it is. The socket's(the part were the cpu and mobo connect) are different. Also your older pc would be intel. and mobo are typically for amd or intel exclusively.

If your looking for a whole new rig(I mean your first rig). Just buy a pre-built or everything new. it'll cost you like $1000-1500 depending. What's your budget. It's kinda worth it since it can last you +5 years, if you get everything new

>Ryzen 2700G fucking when?

I don’t want a low end APU I want a high end

arnt there aready ryzen 7 apus? or are those only for laptops?

never. iGPU takes up replaces one ccx (which consists of 4 cores in ryzen7), so only APUs with 4 cores will come out.

I at least want an APU a little more capable than 2400G

Ryzen 2600G
>4C/8T @ 3.7GHz
>4.1GHz boost
>Vega 11
>16CU
>1275MHz
>L2 4MB
>L3 8MB
>75W
>$239.99

Do you buy?