/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7bEyGhm9Gj8&
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=244539
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install Linux Torvalds.

Remember that he needs sant iGNUcius to work

heh, now efi doesn't even see the usb.

JUST FUCK MY USB UP

zsh is better

W-why?

moar minimalist, and more customizable

>minimalist
meme
>customizable
bloat

Welcome to 2018, grandpa.

Its so minimal, it barely even exists...grow up

Burn it to a DVD... i am guessing you are installing Debian, or something like that

>grow up
What did he mean?

I switched to linux and want to do the following:
>when bringing focus on a texbox, select all the text
>when dragging over text, stop fucking starting from the second character.
>GNU/linux distros' touchpad speed is fast by default and it is making hate windows for that
And a question: does a DE make a font better/worse?

I have a process that takes over keyboard control from the shell and prints out a bunch of things. If that output contains a specific line, I want to match that against, say, a regex, and abort + restart the process if it fails the check.

How would I go about automating that? It's important that the process is send a ctrl+z after the significant line of output fails the check, it would just continue indefinitely otherwise.

Fonts are a thing for themselves, just like icons, but differen't DE-s render them differently, and it mostly has to do with anti-aliasing and things like that. So yeah, different DE-s make fonts better/worse

That is a vague question... do you want it in Python, Bash, Ruby...? Do you want it to be a simple "while" statement or a daemon...

Make 2 lists, strings, whatever, and populate one with the output, and the other with what you want it to be compared to. If they don't match, do something, else, clear lists and start over

You can also, if you want, write to a file and read from it, and use that as a kind of a middle thing, but i don't see why that would be necessary

xfce renders them like shit. I have to increase the value of the dpi and font size to make it look tolerable and it is making most programs' designs shit because text goes off bounds.

>Python, Bash, Ruby...?
Bash is what I'm most familiar with, and it seems like the right fit here.

>a simple "while" statement or a daemon...
Just a simple statement or script is fine, this doesn't need to get fancy.

To specify my case in a more general-purpose way, I want to watch the output of a process and kill it if the output matches a regex.

>xfce renders them like shit
it looks fine to me

i had to create a fontconfig file to make chromium not do ugly full hinting though

Beatutiful..
Do you install a graphics driver or something like that? Maybe it is just a laptop issue?

can you post a screenshot of that menu?

i have a graphics driver installed but that shouldn't affect it

Antergos or Manjaro, which one is better and why?

if odds I install Fedora
if evens I also install Fedora

Antergos cnchi is slow as hell for me.

Debian.

1 sheckel disposed

I'm asking about theese 2

noob question, is it possible in bash to use the match of a wildcard as a variable? e.g. if I have folders with jpgs in them:
folder_a/image.jpg
folder_b/image.jpg
for jpg in */image.jpg; do
echo $something
done

where $something would be "folder_a", "folder_b" etc..?

In your example '$jpg' is the variable for each jpg.

for pic in pictures/*; do echo "$pic"; done

How much would portage benefit from faster storage?
It takes so long with "checking dependencies" and I figure it's because it's installed on an old 2.5" 5400RPM HDD I salvaged from a laptop just to test Gentoo.

Thanks, but I meant specifically only the part that was filled in at the wildcard. $jpg would give me folder_a/image.jpg and not just folder_a.
I realize I can just split the string but I hoped there was a cleaner way.

for jpg in */image.jpg; do
echo "$something" | sed 's!/image.jpg!!'
done

remember to quote variables!!!

I copied your settings(xfce-dawn + your font) and it looks the same now!
Is there any style/theme for xfce to remove the 'old and plain' feel while I get used to linux in general?

My bad. It should be
for something in ....

I have a question:

Why doesn't everyone use Arch?
It's so comfy and stable.

+1 shekel

Because Debian exists.

>implying Arch can afford whole shekel per post

i haven't really looked into it, i'm not a big fan of the default theme (mostly how the window buttons look) but it doesn't bother me enough to look for something better

anyone know about alsa configuration?
i can only get sound from one process at a time and i'm not really sure why

>tfw fell for you don't need more than 10GB of space for root on home server/nas.

10GB seems kinda low, but should still be enough. are you sure you're not hoarding old package versions that take up space or something?

Dolphin is scary.

Kek

>tfw dolphin is still the only file manager with folder previews and drag selection in detailed view
>it looks like shit on gtk desktops
Life is suffering. I hope it looks good on lxqt.

Apparently it was gitlab-ce. How the fuck it managed to be 2GB when i only had 1 repository with maybe 10 commits in it before i switched to gogs?

>How much would portage benefit from faster storage?
It does, because it is made of literally six gorillion small files.

However you can always create a tmpfs "ramdisk", download portage as a squashfs image from any gentoo mirror to the ramdisk and mount it to /usr/portage for much better speeds.
Note: on your normal filesystem create a folder for distfiles, chown it to portage:portage then in your make.conf set a DISTDIR variable to that directory (full path ofc).

>differen't DE-s render them differently
[citation needed]
They all use the same libraries, fontconfig, freetype2, pango, cairo or whatever else is there. Why bother posting such ridiculous claims if you lack the knowledge to present definitive proof?

It looks the same on "GTK desktops", idiot. It can and does use the same Qt5 theme, regardless of your "desktop". There is no such thing as a "GTK or Qt desktop". There are GTK and Qt programs.

My problem is a bit longer and complicated but I wanna run it past you guys in case it's something obvious before I go to the official forums:

DaVinciResolve is a professional video editing programm. I installed it on kubuntu 16.04 despite the Linux version being RHEL based. I used this guide: youtube.com/watch?v=7bEyGhm9Gj8&
I can run it and import files, but video files aren't being replayed. they show a timecode counting up, but nothing nothign else. Images work, Audiophiles show the waveform but dont play any sound.

I tried looking in the preferences for stuff relating to it but couldn't find any.

Antergos is just an installer for Arch so it's pointless, you can use Anarchy instead or just manually install and set up Arch
Manjaro seems decent and it's comfy out of the box, they delay packages to make sure nothing is broken before releasing them which is nice

You are most likely missing a media library.

Instead of following some shitty guides, look at the documentation that comes with the program. Look which dependencies is has. Install those, compile it and install. To avoid being an idiot, also package it yourself, so you can install it nicely with your package manager.

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=244539

stable, testing or unstable?

Forgot to add: Debian

stable unless you have too much free time and are okay with things being broken

>unless you have too much free time and are okay with things being broken
so are full of shit lad.
t. sid user

IMO stable+apt-pinning is optimal.

maybe i just want my system to work

And recive security updates :v

I've been having a bit of an issue with Xfce4 on Debian Testing. Unlocking my session with LightDM gives me a black screen if I use version 4.14.0-2 or higher of the Linux Kernel. It works properly in 4.14.0-1, but I'd really like to have a way to update my kernel without giving up the ability to lock my session. I've tried using sddm, but my cursor became invisible whenever I logged in or unlocked my session with it. I also tried out lxdm, but the command to lock it is only available if you're executing it as root (otherwise, bash says that the command doesn't even exist), so the only way to make it work with xflock4 would be updating my sudoers file to not prompt for a password when running that command, and I don't know if that's secure or not. Does anyone know how to make lightdm work in newer versions of the Linux Kernel?

Even if it looks like lightdm, it's not lightdm but a semi-separate program called "light-locker".

If you only want to lock your screen, then consider disabling light-locker then install xscreensaver and set it to lock your computer.

Unstable.

I used to use testing but switched to sid because of the 2-day delay on security fixes for testing. Never seen anything break that I recall. You do have to read the changelogs that apt-get shows you, though, since occasionally there is something you're supposed to adjust manually after an upgrade.

>stable
old as shit
>stable + backports
still old as shit, backports don't do anything
>testing
the worst compromise, arbitrary release of packages and no security updates
>unstable
just use arch instead

>backports don't do anything
Except providing current version.

I tested it about 5 days ago and the only newer version is LibreOffice 6 instead of 5.2, every other package is the same as in stable

Is it possible to let users who only have access to sftp to change their password somehow? They dont have any access to a terminal, they can only upload/download files.

Ubuntu btw

Use ssh keys, allow user to overwrite his key (just providing idea i had never tried it)
Also remeber to disable passwords!

Guys, I'm installing Gentoo (at least trying), I picked a "profile" and the system asked me if I wanted to "emerge all those package (y/n)" I said yes.

Did I fucked up?
The handbook told me to run:
root #emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world
Which I did but it doesn't say if you should pick "yes" or "no" to the question "emerge all those package (y/n)". Now it's compiling the universe on my Intel Atom slow ass 10 years old processor (my main machine btw, posting from a IBM T40 I found in the trash 7years ago right now)... I wonder if I fucked up... I don't understand half of what am I doing... I just follow the handbook. Plus I forgot to tell gcc to compile quietly and now bazillion of messages are being displaying eating a shitload of precious processor cycle in the process... Holy shit, it will take days... DAYS. Hopefully, that processor doesn't produce too much heat... Last time I compiled something that took days the BIOS shut the machine because no vent' and heat reaching 120°C.

Also how the fuck do I even install lsusb, is there and equivalent to $apt-get cache search .
I wasn't ready for this. And then I need to do the kernel config... after that... Geez, I hope the compilation end up before they kick me out of the hobbo center, thanks dog they can't kick me out because it's really cold in Europe right now, but other hobboes want to still my machine, I can see it in their eyes, they cant my machines, I wont let them user', I wont.

Delet dis
ftp != sftp

>turns out sftp =/= FTP with security
pic related, me
fml

Gentoo.
On atom.
Dude...

If you have stronger PC just use distcc (tunneled over ssh)

What's a good OS to install in a old laptop? (ssd 500gb, intel core i3), thinking about gentoo, shill me hard boys
did you try stopping with ctrl+C and adding --quiet to the line?

>Did I fucked up?
No. stage3 is built using a basic profile. If you set a desktop profile if will set up your USE flags in a way that it pulls in samba, cups, qt, gtk and god knows what kind of cursed knowledge from the far edges of hell.
Yes, it takes LITERAL ages on a shitbox.

>Also how the fuck do I even install lsusb, is there and equivalent to apt-cache
Yes, look into emerge -s and gentoolkit

Explain what does distcc do? It's some kind of cross-compilation over network or what?

I haven't finished installing Gentoo yet, but a i3 is much better than an Atom processor (except it's botnet unsafe technology unlike Atom)... So Gentoo might be OK on your machine. Anyway, I'm just testing the distro'... It doesn't seems very convenient so far.

Thanks for the answer, user'.
>Yes, it takes LITERAL ages on a shitbox.
See you in a few aeons then, *tips hobbohat*

distcc is a "distributed compiler". Basically you run gcc on another computer. You computer sends source files ans gets back compiled files.

You can speed up compiling on a computer by distributing compiler work to other computers via distcc. Other computers need to run the same version of gcc thou.

>cross-compilation over network
This. Check gentoo wiki. Also you probably need crossdev to build cross toolchain on distcc host (what architecture do you have on stronger PC?)

We have far more new user in this threads now.
Will be 2019 year of GNU+Linux on desktops?

Sounds like I need to find some private network, now
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz

s/user/users

>private network
Use SSH tunnel. Never trust any network

why is my terminal font so shitty in arch when it looks good in other distros? Even the theme is different, even though all GNOME settings are identical

does anyone has a wi-fi that keeps disconnecting?, fucker doesn't let me download stage 3 in gentoo

and yes it's virtualbox, and yes, i have guest additions installed

the arch font looks better to me. the other looks very blurry.

that's not how it's supposed to look like though. all normal GNOME setups look like the bottom one

are you sure it's the same font?

yes monospace regular 11

Rate my BASH script. Also please feel free to add suggestions.

iptries=0
echo >/tmp/upips; echo > /tmp/subup ; echo > /tmp/portscan

while [ $iptries -ne 50 ]
do
clear
echo "Initial scan, pinging 50 random IPs."
echo "$iptries random IPs of 50 tried."

count=0

echo >/tmp/ip

while [ $count -ne 4 ] ; do
shuf -i 1-255 -n 1 >> /tmp/ip
echo "." >> /tmp/ip
let count=$count+1
done

ip=`cat /tmp/ip|tr -d "\n"| head -c -1`
echo " Random IP address generated:$ip"
echo "Pinging $ip address to see if alive."

timeout 0.3 ping $ip -c 1 &> /tmp/isup

if grep "0.0% packet loss" /tmp/isup > /dev/null
then
echo "Host $ip is alive." ; echo $ip >>/tmp/upips
else
echo "Host $ip is dead."
fi

let iptries=$iptries+1
done

echo "List of IP address that are alive: `cat /tmp/upips`"
grep "." /tmp/upips > /tmp/tmp ; mv /tmp/tmp /tmp/upips
allips=$((`cat /tmp/upips|wc -l` * 255 ))
allipcount=0
while read line;
do
subcount=1
while [ $subcount -ne 256 ]
do
clear
echo "Second level (subnet) scan. Ping scanning subnets of alive hosts."
echo "Last good results below from this loop."
cat /tmp/portscan |tail
echo "$allipcount of $allips scanned."

currentip=`echo $line | sed s/"\."/"\ "/g | awk {'print $1"."$2"."$3"."'$subcount''}`
echo $currentip
timeout 0.2 ping $currentip -c 1a &>/tmp/isup
if grep "0.0% packet loss" /tmp/isup > /dev/null
then
echo "Host $currentip is alive, portscanning."; echo $currentip >> /tmp/subup ; timeout 0.2 nc -z $currentip 23 2>>/tmp/portscan ;timeout 0.2 nc -z $currentip 22 2>>/tmp/portscan ; timeout 0.3 nc -z $currentip 80 2>>/tmp/portscan
else
echo "Host $currentip is dead."
fi

let subcount=$subcount+1
let allipcount=$allipcount+1
done

done < /tmp/upips

echo "Portscan results."
cat /tmp/portscan

Opinions on Tumbleweed? Doesn't seem to be very popular

I've never used Linux before but want to try mint, booting from a usb. I'm pretty retarded but I wrote the files to my usb, the contents of which are efi > boot > bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi

What do I have to do after I reboot? I just want to fuck around for a bit and get a feel of it

How do I install drivers if I am not on debian? The iwlwifi firmware I downloaded wont appear on modprobe

go to your bios and set boot option to your usb as first option

Got a dualshock 4 here

How does one get to bind the touchpad buttons to keyboard keys on loonix

ok thanks.do i need to make any changes to the biod to do that? i'm on a thinkpad. and will anything i do while running linux be saved if i reboot from usb again later?

*bios