Does anyone here even play an instrument?

does anyone here even play an instrument?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0JeNRJ5TBdh
youtube.com/watch?v=ex32gNpP3GA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm a tuba/baritone player. Somehow i managed to chose an instrument that's both prohibitively expensive and rarely used.

Guitar, bass, keys, tenor saxophone, clarinet, theremin, ocarina, harmonica, trying to self-teach violin, not going so well, but the rest I play pretty decently.

i play drums

so no

I play electric guitar, piano and chruch organ (or used to, at least).

Tenor Sax

I've been playing the guitar for 2 days.

dude drums are fucking sick, you just get to hit stuff.

what do you play, trumpet?

do you have any symphonies?

lol i reversed searched your pic and ornette coleman came up, who is you.

can you play?

Yeah so do you guys wanna make a song im working on something right now i will send vocaroo

Piano, organ, banjo, bass, guitar, french horn, trumpet, trombone, and drum set

All of them i'm pretty decent at except guitar, I'm a fucking lousy guitar player and have no intention of improving.
On piano I've gotten about two hours practice a day and weekly lessons for the last 20 years

i only ever come on Sup Forums to look at instrument specific threads and production general
the vast majority of Sup Forums is a shitshow

for some unknown reason this song is metal its a first time thing so its pretty shitty
vocaroo.com/i/s0JeNRJ5TBdh

wow man that took years off my life just to listen to
not that the playing was necessarily bad, but the sound quality is highly reminiscent of nails on a chalk board

I can play the fool

Classical guitar.

yeah its a headset mic lol

>burzum

i've played guitar for 6 years as a hobby. never been in a band or anything though

nah I play myself every day hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha it's an old meme and it doesn't check out hahahaha

Nope, I'm like scaruffi, I critique without any skills or knowledge in music.

I play stupidphone, yes.

Electric/acoustic guitar, drums, some piano, since I had to learn it in music school, gonna buy a bass soon as well, and from then on I'll probably just start learning bizarre instruments as a joke

I play guitar and bass pretty well. I also sing. Some friends and I get together most weekends and jam. We're gonna try recording something this summer.

That's pretty cool

>horn trumpet and trombone
Pretty bad idea desu considering the differing mouthpiece sizes

I play the dick.

That's a gross paint job, user. Did you find this in a guitar gore thread?

I've heard that from many different players and its bogus. If you practice properly on each instrument you will strengthen your embrasure enough to support all mouthpiece sizes with minimal fuss switching between them. If anything It helps out a lot because It helps you to increase range. my high range on both trumpet and trombone is better because I'm a F horn player, and my low range on horn is much better because I'm a trombone player. Air speed has improved across the board from trombone playing. So has pitch identification and correction, which comes in very handy on horn and trumpet.

Even if they don't actually get good, I'd advise all brass players to at least learn to play trombone

>Instrument thread
>OP is newfag with no instrument experience
>Searches guitar from google images
>puts Squier strato
>HA!

Not really that gross, it's probably just the angel that makes it look bad.
[spoiler]I don't know if you're ironic about the second part, but that's Eric Clapton's guitar[/spoiler]

Interesting argument but I've seen the results of being both a hornist and trumpet player firsthand, double buzzing isn't fun. I like the idea of using trombone as a method of improving accuracy though, as a hornist that's a pretty smart way of avoiding fumbling through nasty overtones to find a note

Bass and keyboard desu

>lol i reversed searched your pic and ornette coleman came up, who is you.
well no shit he's wearing a The Shape of Jazz to Come tshirt in that pic

Movie critics have no skills or knowledge in making movies yet they critique them, so do food critics, what's wrong with it?

Ev+rethinn, rastafari.

Alto sax and Cello.

For one, the trombone is a completely different embechure, it barely effects he other 2, also thats just some bs. Some of the best trombone players started as trumpet players

used to play the drums before i got too lazy

The issue with playing both isn't in switching mate, it's in pursuing both simultaneously.

Double buzzing isn't fun, this is true. I find double buzzing the most difficult to negotiate on trombone, but there is a way around it on all the instruments and the key is air speed. The trombone has a much larger bore so the air speed you put in is distributed over a much larger volume, making it much more difficult to blow through a doubled pitch.

But you take that air-speed practice from trombone and apply it to a trumpet you achieve instant results. I never get double buzzing on trumpet or horn anymore unless its deliberate, and on trombone its only a problem when I'm running out of air.

There are lots of instances of cross-practicing being more effective than focused single instrument practicing. Like if you practice double tonguing on a trombone, it makes double tonguing a horn 100% easier. practicing lip slurs on a french horn will drastically improve lip slurs on all other brass instruments. lip trills on trombone helps with all trills across the board. There is also a lot to be learned about brass tuning and harmonics from practicing trombone.

>get decently good at guitar
>try writing music
>think all your ideas are shit and give up playing completely
>start the cycle over 6 months later
Anyone get this?

Right, but much of what you practice is shared ground

The trombone is the most autistic instrument, whether it was highschool or college or in masterclasses, the instructor/students were always cringey. It must have something to do with the ape-like desire to flail your arms around.

c flute and picc
i don't have eardrums anymore

oh yeah for sure
What you need to do is take up a second instrument to try writing music with during your 6 month vacation from guitar, that way you can just swap back and forth every six months without ever actually giving up

he recorded with reversed headphones

Drums, bass guitar, keyboard, FL Studio.

negro there is literally a guitar general on here 24/7 so the answer is no because the guitar isn't a real instrument

all except giving it up
it's my only stress-outlet
can't give it up
it's like my drug to play it
but I'm doomed to not write for shit

instruments that i play
>clarinet
>piano
> im beginning to learn to play the bass

I'm the guy that happily plays three brass instruments

The argument I've always heard was that your embouchure gets stronger the more you play. and If you are playing regularly on different sized mouthpieces, you never really get to dial in the perfect embouchure, because your face muscles are optimized for versatility rather than perfection, so to speak.

Which to me is a ridiculous reason not to pursue other instruments. There is probably some truth in it but I'm not trying to be first chair of a major symphony on all three horns. You can certainly still achieve a great deal of success on multiple brass instruments even if doing so somehow prevents you from totally mastering any one of them (which I'm still not convinced is the case)

Besides, so many of the greatest of great horn players played with such non standard methods that I'm not sure the "right" way even is the "best" way

Poorly prepared food can actually kill you.

Art "critics" are worthless.

Are you sure that the issue of double buzzing is avoidable for everyone though? It's quite clearly a real issue and just because you can work around it doesn't mean multi instrumentalism is wise for all of us

That said I might consider taking a stab at trombone myself, accuracy on horn is a real issue

No, but I've wanted to play guitar since I was a teen. My parents could never afford it, so I never got a chance. Now I could start if I wanted to, but I'm afraid I'm too old to be any good and I have no idea how to get into it. Googling has given me conflicting tips for starting.

double buzzing is just a basic physical response. Its a product of frequency of your buzzing and air speed. you can cause it by tweaking either of those parameters but the dbl buzz should always be correctable by simply buzzing in tune with the note you want to play, and pushing enough air down the horn for it to ring the note you intended to.

Lots of players, even self proclaimed "great" players, don't use enough air speed, and compensate for it with embouchure. I understand the problem, I was certainly one of those people, probably still am honestly. Blowing more air than necessary feels pretty unnatural but you should experiment with it.

I've heard from great high range trumpeters that you can even take it to an extreme and use practically nothing but air speed to play the full range of the instrument, with zero embouchure pressure and very little change in form. I've personally seen a trumpeter blow a high double C perfectly loud and clear with the horn sitting flat on a table and only the guys lips touching it.

not to say that all air speed and no emb. pressure is the way to go either, its just important to know that there are different ways to get an end result and they aren't always obvious or natural feeling.

I would say that you should only worry about screwing up your emb. through multiinstrumentalism if you are a top tier performer, world class level, at one instrument. Otherwise the benefits far outweigh the damages.

Also If I wanted to get super good at F horn again I could just stop playing bone and trumpet for a few months and I think my lips would form back no problem. The knowledge you stand to gain is permanent, the damage you stand to afflict is temporary.

an inspiring demonstration
youtube.com/watch?v=ex32gNpP3GA

I play drums/ percussion (best at set and auxillary and concert bass) and marching snare, and matching bass. Started guitar lessons 2 weeks ago, already getting chords and stuff down

Ya I just play guitar pretty well and dabble with piano. I want to pick up another instrument though. I'm thinking either trumpet or tin whistle. That or I'll just double down on piano.

I have a mandolin. I play it all night long. Makes me want to kill myself.
also have some synths and keyboard lying around but i suck at those.
so no, i cannot really play anything

I can't even talk shit desu I use neither embouchure nor air speed and instead just rely on pressure half the time. Gonna bruise my lip someday for sure. You make pretty solid points and honestly I kind of agree. That said if I picked up another brass instrument my horn instructor would kill me so I'll save that for university.

Thinking you can be good at writing music just by playing proficiently is silly. You have to work specifically on writing as well. Some ways that I work on it:

Create harmonies to music you listen to

Force yourself to write in specific time signatures

Copy parts of songs you already like and use them in an original song to get better at understanding musical movements and context/harmony

Take the general structure of a song you like and copy it, replacing all the parts. Say you have a song in with an intro-verse-bridge in 4/4, then a chorus in 6/8, then it repeats the verse-bridge-chorus, then a break in 4/4 before going back to chorus-chorus. just copy the time signatures and number of bars for each section and write something to fit in those parameters. Add a harmony where they added a harmony, key change where they changed keys, etc. essentially reverse engineer the song and create your own "version".

Force yourself to write in different keys and to try changing keys just for the sake of learning.

Basically just study what you like and learn why you like it. Then write a bunch of mediocre stuff just for learning purposes. Eventually you will get good and have all of this stuff in your toolbox and it will stop being mediocre and you can create more focused ideas in much less time and you can start going deeper exploring the ideas and writing stuff that is actually good.

First to admit that I play Ukulele. I learnt it when I was like 12 and desu it really helped me pick up guitar a lot quicker.

>who is you
>he doesn't know aaron

how new are you?

I suggest you start with a cheap acoustic guitar and learn the chords and guitar parts to your favorite song. If its something you'll end up liking everything should work itself out from there

If you only learn 4 chords you can still play a huge repertoire of music

Upright bass and shit.

Does singing count if you can read music and perform written songs properly?

yeah
but its kind of lame if you dont learn an instrument to sing along with. singing and playing is difficult and impressive. but it becomes second nature with practice, especially if you're a good vocalist to begin with.

I mean at least learn a few guitar chords and piano chords to a few songs. even block chords with vocals is beautiful, and requires like no effort to play.

even a $20 craigslist vintage casio could add a lot to solo vocals

When I went to music school I was a piano major, vocal secondary. And they let me take vocal exams while accompanying myself on piano. It was an absolutely unfair advantage because the audience (professors) have like a subconscious bias towards singing and playing.

listening is patrician, playing is pleb
i thought everyone knew this

clarinet, sax, and some piano

I can play the trumpet. I'm gonna learn how to play the guitar soon.

Oregano

Just because it belongs to someone famous doesn't mean it looks good

Literally couldn't be further from the truth

I play four

Too old to be nay good is a fucking myth. Inb4 muh neuroplasticity.

If you want to play guitar, then fucking play it. There is literally no reason to be afraid. If you want to get into it, you just have to do it. There isn't some set process. Just go online and ask around some forums about what you should get, decide on something, and then order it or go pick something up from a shop. Make sure you grab a tuner and a strap and any other accessories you need, and then have somebody set it up for you if you aren't ocnfident you can do it yourself (its actually easy, but maybe better to just have someone else do it the first time if you aren't handy). Then just look for some resources. You can go the instructor route if you want, but obviously it will cost some coin and you might get a shit teacher. I would suggest just looking at some free online resources like ebooks and videos. Just start somewhere and branch off from there. If you want to play rhythm, just start learning how to strum and play open chords, Then you can move on to more advanced strumming technique and more advancd chords. If you want to play lead, learn picking technique and your basic scales. Just go for it and don't be discouraged. You're not too old and everybody is shit for years before they get decent.

>approves of a camwhore's shitposting

how new are you?