/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=kCVS_1EnRkg

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Post Amphibias. Wearing my early model now.

You are a honorable man.

Canadanon, I will be in Toronto March 3. If you still have access to your watchuseek account I can pm you contact details there

>tfw waiting for my Yokai Watch in the mail

too bad it's almost fully chinese

Boom shakalaka

So, I'm in search of a good watch. For quite a good while I was certain that it would be the Omega FOIS (picture), but after trying it on on three different occasions it just was not the as amazing as I had thought. The biggest downside is the legibility (see the picture again), as well as the fact that I am really into dates on dials..

As i already sold my workhorse Seiko, it means that i have a budget of 4k (€, but why not in $'s too).

I'm not asking "which watch to buy" since that's just dumb, but instead "what would you do for that budget".

I'm thinking about going second-hand for a Portofino, Tudor or a vintage Datejust. See, I don't even have a clue!

How was the vasectomy?

Lol Jesus Christ.

Datejust or Grand Seiko

Piss off shitskin

Speedmaster is still my grail. It’s so subtle compared with most Rolexes and classy as fuck.
I even had a replica for a while which I loved until the crown fell off...
Don’t buy replicas kids.

I come back after 2 years and you still posting.
Seek help.

Just got a new watch with what's left of my bitcoin

Ha what??

Stop being mean to the nice man at Time Factors REEEEEE

Which Hamilton is best value? They seem a bit expensive

Ahhh sick is that the Samsung Tock 2.0?

I can't tell if this was posted ironically or not

that's fake m8

Generally gold casio, tiny swatches, vintage shit in the arts/humanities part of campus, oversized G-shocks, f91-ws, or geeky novelty stuff on STEM kids

Go back to Ebola. The west is for pure bloods.

Gold casio is a classic though.
You are dissing it for no reason.

The only watches I ever see people wear are casios and timex. Older guy I met recently had some type of vintage Oris big crown pointer date which was cool.

It's not, I've been told by the /f10/ Russian watch erudites.

Why not start a 'Lange/Patek/Dufour' fund? Just invest/bank it until you have enough to buy something seriously expensive...and because you start with watch money, then it's not going to seem like an irresponsible buy. Hell, that's the only way I could justify it...

I’m a big fan of the current Black Bay lineup, your budget should cover that easily unless you go for a chrono.

why do you guys care so much about watches?

It’s better than fighting over computer operating systems, you dirty outsider

Sure that works. It's DainiFan on WUS.

I'd go with one of these three if I had 4k lying around for a watch.

Help guys I cannot stop buying them.

not really

go to you fucking mongoloid

Why are you interested in anything?

Wow... epic

Pride through purchase, you wouldn't understand.

I want to eventually make my own watch.
be that designing my own PCB and going completely digital or try to machine simple mechanism with a home cnc router.
Until then i will wear and buy the watches I want.

Hahaha ha
Omg lost on this one
rosie o'donnell

Poor Indian man, please stop

I love the miracle that is a mechanical watch. Think about it. Think about the continuum of existence, and then think about how one could quantify that. Then think about what it would take to quantify time reliably and regularly...then think about how you could improve that system. Then think about shrinking the technology to not only fit on your wrist but be shielded against changes of gravity and inertia.

All of this to me is a miracle. And I get to wear it on my wrist for a reasonable cost, and discuss all of these elements with people who are like-minded.

It's okay, you've not eve spent what you should make in a week there.

Only because you have small wrists.

Time is important.
Your body is important.

Watch tells time.
Watch becomes integral part of body.

Tudor Pelagos or maybe the Black "slab sides" Bay.
The normal MOTFM Speedmaster is more legible imo so maybe that or a used MOTFM Explorer I.
Datejust is also great, you probably shouldn't look anywhere else than ROlex when you already have 4k ready. Maybe wait a few months more and buy a Sub if you think you can pull it off.

36mm look fantastic on any wrist
>unless you're a fatass with 8"+ wrists

I don't think I am the guy you are talking about.

In many ways, your post bears many similarities to my own experience with watches. I've always worn them, and the only time I don't is when I'm asleep or in the shower. It is indeed very rare, at least where I live, to see anyone wearing a watch anymore under the age of 30. What will happen when these people 'grow up'? There certainly won't be jobs for them in which they could afford dropping 4,000 on a watch...

Holy shit...I hadn't even noticed. Frederique Constant was...well...constant. Then one day they kinda slipped off the map. I had no idea what happened to them. Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, I think there are quite a few...the problem is that I don't know about other markets. Do they do well in Asia? In India? In South America? I have no idea.

I have a 38mm watch and a 7" wrist, and it honestly looks small and a bit weak.
It's not the 60s anymore.

My wrists are too small for the majority of watches to look good on me
What are nice watches for slenderbois?

what genre?

Get vintage.

Style has brought us back to that era in regards to watch size. I have a little larger wrist than you because I lift, and have a Montblanc ultra slim. It looks very classy.

37.5mm Seagull 1963 Acrylic. Make it happen, Capt'n.

Dress watches are supposed to be small, always been that way.
Sport watches are different these days.

You might me a bit dense

They're neat

vintage then. export poljots, vintage chinese, vintage omegas, that sort of thing

Nice

Is that a crack in the regulator? No wonder it was being so inaccurate.

It might be I guess; I'll check next week when I'm back home. I wouldn't expect a crack there to affect the timekeeping that much though?

Shouldn't we make a list of /wt/ approved watches ?

SKX007, SNE437, SNE435, Casio terrorist, Rolex Submariner, any spring drive seiko, Seiko Tuna/Turtle, Speedmaster, all russian watches

that is all

very honorable person who gave up 2 important things.

How about the sinn 556, other casios ?

>very honorable person who gave up 2 important things.
what things did he give up?

>that is all

you're blocked, don't bother replying, I won't be able to see it. (Sup Forums Gold)

to the rest, let's not forget Pateks, Philippe Dufour, VC, AP, A Lange etc.

>Russian watch erudites

>you're blocked, don't bother replying, I won't be able to see it. (Sup Forums Gold)

Alright lads, I'll make it. Also post the prices, so I don't have to chrono24 them.

I want to go skiing with my watch, but the wrist band isn't long enough to fit around my gloves.

Seiko penis quartz

All shit watches with maybe the exception of the Sub & Speedy. Memes do not mean the same thing as /wt/ approved.

are you actually retarded or am I being baited?

Add the 5740C to the seiko list.

Some of column A....some of column B....

Make way for REAL technology

Serious question. Aren't they a little late to the smartwatch ballgame? I mean, if it's not an Iwatch or a Fitbit...it's just a late imitation....isn't it?

well as long as you don't spend a dime on the windy knob meme or any other invicta-tier mallshitters then you can't really go wrong.

Ordered an f91w today. Only have 1 watch, and it was a christmas present that my sister dropped before I even got it.

I feel really bad for the band on that dude's watch

As bad as I feel for the stage...

There you go

Which ones are good ? Also what's the average price. Sorry my seiko quartz knowledge isn't the up to date.

The difference being android wear has actual functionality

Poljot de luxe
Luch 2209

Rolex explorer is pretty well regarded here.

>mfw /fa/ has better taste than Sup Forums (multiple times more casio digital watches on /fa/)

I live in Asia and the market for watches is much bigger here but also pretty weird and not that healthy
Most people I see wear watches of some sort, but by far the most common are just "dressy" quartz garbage with fake gold, fake diamonds everywhere, fake everything and not even a tasteful design at least.
Fake watches are so common, I saw some kid the other day wearing a clearly cheap fake gold yachtmaster.
More than this the higher end fakes have gotten so convincing that the majority can't even tell the difference so even if you see someone with a genuine looking Rolex or Patek there's no guarantee unless you can get a close look.

Otherwise the market is filed with ugly fashion watches, fakes, horrid homages, and just tons of random pleb catcher Chinese brands.

Still I see even little kids wearing watches on the regular, and even with all the ugly stuff (which is understandable when anything is popular) I do see someone with something tasteful every so often
Far more than in the west at least where no one wears a watch at all and if they do (and it's not a smart watch or quartz Casio) it's wallwatch trash.

By far G-shocks are the most common watches I see

so are you actually interested in watches or are you just buying "/wt/ approved" stuff?

Got it. I don't own any, that's why I asked.

You need to make a correction. The Omega Speedmaster (motm) should read:

>Omega Speedmaster (motfm)

The acronym 'motfm' means MAN ON THE FUCKING MOOON!. It's more accurate.

That is all.

Oh, and add Seagull 1963 (300) to the list. If you don't, I'll bless you with a wall of text as to why you're wrong.