Living in Silicon Valley

How many of you fa/g/s have lived in SV/The Bay Area? I have been here for ~2 years and am seriously starting to go crazy. Moved down here from Canada after finishing school. Yes I am a meme software engineer. I hate the fucking brogrammer culture and the non-stop talk about tech, even on weekends/outside of work. You can't order a coffee without hearing the two bros behind you argue about what the best JavaScript framework is.

All my coworkers go on and on about how awesome it is here and how great life is having all these tech jobs and techies around. I just can't relate to them at all and tune out at lunch. I am thinking about moving to Seattle as it still has the interesting jobs but seems a little less tech-memey. Am I crazy or has anyone else experienced this?

Other urls found in this thread:

fourthievesvinegar.org
frominsidethebox.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brogrammer
chicksonright.com/2018/02/20/pelosis-disease-pit-san-francisco-is-literally-worse-than-most-third-world-countries/
independentsentinel.com/parts-san-francisco-worse-dirtiest-slums-world/
glassdoor.com/Salaries/south-san-francisco-senior-software-engineer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,19_IC1147412_KO20,44.htm
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5804798
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nobody on Sup Forums has lived in SV?

I was born in palo alto and currently live in the brentwood contra costa area, the bay area is definitely the most toxic place on the planet.

I live just North, place is fucking annoying.

Damn dude, I work in Palo Alto and can't imagine what it would have been like to grow up here. There are kids driving around in brand new BMWs everywhere. If you weren't from a well-off family, seeing that shit around you would be definitely toxic.

No one on Sup Forums is employed

have you ever considered moving?

Where did you get your degree?

you have to go back

I live in Oakland and I'm a very close to being a neet so I definitely don't know what you're talking about

The benefit is being close to things like this
fourthievesvinegar.org
This guy just gave a talk at biohack oakland

There are 'hacker spaces' I can drop into. Blockchain meetups I can choose from. I can watch antifa and alt lite duke it out. There's talks every Sunday at a communist library in Berkeley. The guy from frominsidethebox.com invited me for coffee.

I prefer more rain but here there is community, whether or not I actually take part

I live far enough a way that they only wander up here when they're lost. Just been down there a couple a times and the people are fucking annoying. It's bay area though.

UBC in Vancouver. Honestly I miss Vancouver quite a bit. The ocean and mountains and public transit is just so much better there. If the jobs weren't so shitty, I would move back there in a heartbeat.

Seattle seems to be the closest thing in the US, but we shall see.

Interesting to hear about that stuff user. Not really my cup of tea I think but I appreciate the fact that people organize that shit and try to make communities around here I guess.

bro i've never been there, and could have told you what it was like. you deserve everything you get for moving there YOU FUCKING LEAF

Please don't come to Seattle. We are full. You have to go back.

It's true, I knew all the tropes and memes before moving here, but somehow thought I could mold my personality to enjoy it and want to stay here permanently. Learned that lesson the hard way

i fucking hate humblebragging faggots that "whine" about their lives. go fucking kill yourself, motherfucker

not trying to humblebrag, just honestly want other peoples' experiences living in SV

East Bay fag here, driving across the bridge during rush hours as well as going up to SF often enough to hope Kim drops all his nukes here asap. Whereabouts are you leaf?

Yikes, I had to do that Easy Bay across the bridge commute once and it was fucking hell. Would not be able to do that every day. I work in Palo Alto and live in Sunnyvale right now. Even though my work is only 10 miles away it can take over an hour in rush hour at times.

MTV last summer, SF this summer.

Hope to be in Austin after graduation. The only good part of California is San Diego.

Sup bay area faggots.

All my friends are leaving the bay and the state due to the homeless epidemic, the crime, rent, and taxes. There is really nothing left for us here unless you're a techie faggot or some lawyer/doctor. But hey at least we have in n out.

>work is only 10 miles away
Shit, I generally hate smug bikefags cunts but if my office was only 10 miles away I'd start cycling tomorrow. Unfortunately it's at the ass end of SV so more like 35 miles from where I am. At least I only need to be there a few times a month, otherwise I'd go fucking mad within a week.

As a fucking leaf, what's the best thing to order at in n out?

Yeah I really should try getting a bike and doing that commute, never enjoyed bicycling in college though.

How stupid would I be for commuting from SF to south bay via bus for work

>As a fucking leaf, what's the best thing to order at in n out?

protein style LMAOOO

retarded when you can probably bart and bus from warm springs station

Everything else aside, cycling is fucking healthy so may as well so that. Just don't spend too much on the bike because it will inevitably get stolen.

Also double double with grilled onions. Or try the animal style meme, but personally I can't be bothered enough to wait for it. Also Shake Shack is opening in Bay Area now (first location in PA iirc) and i think their patties are better, though their buns suck soggy ass.

watch out for tech protesters throwing bricks at your bus kek

Almost 4 years so far. People are so liberal it's nauseating.

Also India's designated shitting streets have nothing on Powell.

Thank fucking god I'm in the south bay.

nice, just looked it up and the planned Shake Shack location is gonna be close by work for lunch. If it opens before I leave I will definitely try it.

>join company rotational program straight out of college
>first rotation is in motherfucking Silicon Valley
>office in Santa Clara, but get setup in a $3000 a month apartment work paid for me
>lived better than all my coworkers

literally everyone I told about my apartment and 10 minute commute was jelly as fuck. Some people lived way out in San Leandro and had an hour commute. Jesus fuck.

>an hour commute
>jesus fuck

that's literally nothing in the bay area

most of my co-workers have 2-3 hr commutes

kek that's a sweet deal. I had temp housing for the first month I was here and it was similar but alas had to get my own place. And a 1-hour commute is nothing here at all. Where are you now?

Texas. Everything is so much cheaper here if you can stand the republican gun nuts. Complete opposite of CA.

At the end of the day it's a function of how much time spent in commuting you're willing to sacrifice in exchange for up to $2000/month (or more desu) savings in rent. To each his own.

>an hour commute
That's zippy for bay area standards.

I been working in the Silicon Valley for going on 3 years now and I love it.

I try to steer clear of the douchebags and brogrammers. The most annoying thing about the bay area is the liberal politics.

What I like to do is wear my Trump shirts when out running in the Silicon Valley. I love angering all the liberals and soyboys.

Austin, TX seems like a good mix of decent tech jobs but the techies are more likely to be normal people and not wacky Californians. Of course, its definitely got it's drawbacks, but your mileage may vary. After a few years of living here, I wouldn't mind trying out California.

What company?

What parts of the bay do you like other than triggering liberals?

Austin, Seattle, and I guess New York are the main places I would consider moving to from Cali.

what the fuck is brogrammer culture anyway

This, we need to advert this housing crisis

Please don't move from Cali to Texas. We already have too many of you people ruining our state.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brogrammer

>"Brogrammer" is a slang term for a stereotypically masculine programmer. The word is a portmanteau of bro and programmer. It is often used pejoratively, but some programmers self-describe themselves as a brogrammer positively as a word for "sociable or outgoing programmer", and it also tends to represent a subculture within the greater tech industry.[1][2] An example sometimes cited of targeted advertising toward "brogrammers" is an early Klout hiring advert posted at a Stanford University career fair as "Want to bro down and crush some code? Klout is hiring." The company later described it as a joke and as an unfortunate misstep.[1][3]

Austin's not bad like I said. Lots of Californians and just people from all over the fucking place. I'm from Louisiana myself. For a hick like me, it's pretty decent, and Texas is way less corrupt and backwards than Louisiana. Austin's great because there is something for everyone here, and it's fucking Texas and not a commie dump.

Living in SF, making good money (>$300k), and I hate this fucking shithole region so much. The people are obnoxious, whiny, and generally garbage. The city is literal garbage, shit, and needles. I hate the people who moved here recently. I hate the people who've lived here their whole life.

I've been here a few years and is not like that unless you go to bars right after work during weekdays

Yeah, sorry, I'm the Austin transplant. Don't move here if you're going to vote dem pls.

>(>$300k),

god damn, how many years have you been working?

Sunnyvale here. Luckily I live less than 2 miles from work. If I didn't I might just go mad.

Why is masculinity so maligned? Do the same people who rip on brogrammers also rip on flamers, valley girls and ebonophones? Brogrammers just sound like another variety of a typical frat (fuck)boy.

As a fellow fucking leaf from UBC who graduated a couple of years ago and can't find a decent job in this fucking city how did you manage to get yours?

I want to move down there but I'm worried Trump will kill NAFTA and I'll be stuck here in what is rapidly becoming a shitty part of china. None of the companies I apply to outside BC seem to want me because of my engphys degree instead of meme CS.

what year engphys did you graduate? i did a bunch of internships at tech companies around BC and had pretty high grades so that helped. Also I would recommend applying to positions that are less pure software related (more firmware/integration/systems engineering) with your engphys degree. Also the grass ain't always greener - I actually miss BC a lot down here

Oh shit a fellow UBC alum.
Vancouver was crazy expensive especially since I didn't have family there and all my friends went off to Seattle. It's close enough to home you can make frequent trips, you should try it.

How'd you end up in SV? Internship into full time?

I'm not going to say because you probably already know who I am, but I did get internships and high grades too, I think it was mainly going for the wrong jobs on grad. Doing the startup thing now and it's kind of working, but it's hard in this city these days because of the housing bubble fucking up costs for everything and making it impossible to hire anyone.

I want to move to Seattle, but I guess I'll have to get a job working for someone which is no fun. I'm really worried about losing the TN though, both for bringing in people and working there.

No it's not. It's hell here. You have no idea. Stay go.

an hour?
fuck when I was in the bay area on the job hunt just driving around for interviews would take me upwards of 3 hours

holy shit, I'm the portrayal of silicon valley in popular media is so fucking wrong
i feel like people have to convince themselves they are happy here

Haha okay, fair enough. I agree Vancouver salaries are shit, especially startups. I am optimistic that Trump will not fuck up the TN portion of NAFTA for a few more years at least. If you can get a TN job, then the transition to H1B is pretty easy (if you get lucky with the lottery).

Working for someone (vs. a startup) definitely can be shit at times, but it also has perks.

i'm there full time right now, see above. And yeah I have a couple friends in Seattle right now too which is appealing, would be fun to be able to easily drive back across the border to canada.

Where you work?

What's Austin like? I have a friend there I can probably ask for connections.
[spoiler]Are there Asians? I don't want to feel out of place.[/spoiler]

Chuy's tastes too good and I'm not about to live in fucking Oklahoma.

My friend down there jumped straight from TN to green card actually, no H1B needed, so I think it can be done that way as well. SV seems so awful but it has the money I need to build what I want, it really sucks.

Seattle seems great, I'm looking to move my business down there eventually if I can ever figure out how to do it for a reasonable cost. SV seems like the sort of place I would be blacklisted from though.

Horgan and friends just put in a speculation tax so that might bring the frenzy down a bit.

At that point why not save up a little bit more and start your own thing for your own passive income? Isn't that the whole point?
[spoiler]I'll work for you user.[/spoiler]
If you're making that much, please tell me you're living the life getting laid and enjoying lavish things - sounds like that's what it takes to maintain sanity.

best of luck fellow engphys bro. hope you're able to get what you need. It's definitely a tradeoff living in SV - so much money everywhere but you pay for it with your sanity most of the time

$300k is pretty typical when you add up salary + bonus + options at top tech co. New college grads with a couple promotions can be earning that in

>Chuy's
Never mind, you guys are too rich for me.

Real, how did you land that? I feel like the boat has sailed in terms of (me) getting picked up by a big name tech company. I know a guy who asked for 6 figures upfront straight out of graduation and got plus more plus extra vacation. I'm just a GNU mercenary in comparison.

Tech company duh
>Giving you a 2 mile radius of where I live
No thanks

>Real, how did you land that
1) apply to job
2) pass interview
3) accept offer

>Sup bay area faggots.
>All my friends are leaving the bay and the state due to the homeless epidemic, the crime, rent, and taxes. There is really nothing left for us here unless you're a techie faggot or some lawyer/doctor. But hey at least we have in n out.

chicksonright.com/2018/02/20/pelosis-disease-pit-san-francisco-is-literally-worse-than-most-third-world-countries/

independentsentinel.com/parts-san-francisco-worse-dirtiest-slums-world/

anyone who actually buys a house here at these inflated prices is an idiot, you arent getting luxury for your money, everything here is just overpriced lower-middle-class looking shit

Luck + top school + coaching for interviews.

>I know a guy who asked for 6 figures upfront straight out of graduation and got plus more plus extra vacation.
For a fresh grad SWE 160k all-in would be low end.

>For a fresh grad SWE 160k all-in would be low end.
Prices are different throughout the bay. That's probably more like mid tier for South Bay.

I have to live in SV for months at a time, but my home base is in NC. My employer asked me in the interview if I would consider relocating to SV, and I just laughed at them. My original objection was just the cost of living, but now that I've spent a shit ton of time in SV, I know 100% that I'd never want to live there.

I like being able to leave the office and not think about technology. It's fun that I can talk shop with just about anyone I meet there, but it's just exhausting after a while.

Consider San Luis Obispo county instead. It's going to be the next SV and already has a lot of tech companies and startups, and also some established companies like Lockheed.

I live in Santa Clara, most of Silicon Valley is really boring. People who work in the tech industry are generally cheap, they have no class, they drive boring cars, all the restaurants are cheap franchises and strip mall junk. I only like living here for the money and being the tech capital of the world, but for actually living standards this place is blah.

I don't know but I played Watch Dogs 2

I watched 2 dogs once. Does that count too?

yeah i think lolzor

Fuck California and fuck silicon valley. Come to Michigan, the best god damn state in the union.

The water is basically free ($10 / month for UNLIMITED use), you can own whatever damn gun you want (pistol requires CPL first), hunting and fishing are popular activities, very few snobby communist liberal elites to steal your hard money to give to shitskins and illegals (except Ann arbor), and yet not filled with retarded rednecks like Alabama either.

The only problems are snow and niggers. The snow is a necessary evil to keep the water around. Niggers can be avoided by not being within 20 mile radius of Detroit.

Pure Fucking Michigan

>The water is basically free ($10 / month for UNLIMITED use),
Really dragging the bottom of the barrel eh?

When the Vancouver housing bubble inevitably pops you could also come live in the best place in the world (which also has free water and no nigs)

What are some good states for tech jobs outside of California and New York?

No, $300k is not typical.

Post a shot of your room.

Having lived in the industrial part of Oakland since I was 17 (family rents out loft units and warehouse space) I've always been drawn to places like Detroit and even the developing world.

Would love to get a 3 story warehouse in Detroit to call my own.

>Michigan
Where the state flower is the traffic cone.

Columbus, OH apparenly.
Austin
Washington
Chicago and probably Detroit as well.

>work in SV
>salary on the low end
>probably too late to get into high paid tier
>permanently make less

sounds like you're just a pleb, I'd love for everyone to talk about tech instead of anything else.

Blockchain Technology Is Calling

Will You Answer The Call?

>It's not like that!
>Well, I mean, unless.....
Fuck off.

Hi fellow Canuck. I'm from Toronto originally. The rain is fucking terrible, don't come here. It is 100 times better than a "real" Canadian winter so it still has that going for it. You're from Vancouver, so you're used probably used to it anyways.

Seattle is literally Vancouver but in the US instead of in Canada.

No state income tax saves you $10k+ versus California as a Software Engineer. A not-insane cost of living will save you another $10-20k over the Bay Area. Pay is competitive with the Bay Area once you take those two factors into account.

San Francisco is way better than the South Bay IMO but that commute is fucking killer and San Jose just isn't the same. While you can commute from Seattle to the Eastside in less than half the time. Tech is pretty strong because Mico$oft is HQ'd on the Eastside and Amazon HQ is adjacent downtown Seattle but it doesn't permeate every fucking thing the same way it does in the Bay Area.

$150-200k is typical for new grads at AmaGooBookSoft. $300k sounds about right for mid-level engineers.

Washington (Seattle). Colorado (Boulder). Texas (Austin).

Any advice as someone with a few years at smaller companies trying to get into the big guys? Do they really only hire new grads?

Also the rain is the best part about the PNW, rain is great, I feel most at home in the rain.

Been living in the Bay for awhile now. Around 3 years. The pay for my job is fantastic, but I'm seriously considering fucking off here.

This place is an utter shithole. Terrible, self-absorbed people the likes of which I have never seen anywhere else in my life. I hate my coworkers. I hate my peers. Just awful.

If anyone with a sane mind is considering moving here -- don't.

It's not typical to work at a FANG company

>tfw in a similar situation in my country
>move to a meme tech area
>overpay for shit living on an almost neet income

Did you know: you can identify which Google buses go to the Mission or Oakland based on the markings left by proles throwing rocks?

I would say the larger, better paying companies hire on the order of 5000-10,000 interns every summer. Some interns are duds and some new grad hires aren't returning interns, so I would say that that is a good metric for how many CS grads they're hiring each year. That is well over 10% of entry level Software Engineer positions

They definitely do hire people who have worked at smaller, no name companies. I am not best equipped to give advice for experienced hires though.

It is never too late to get that job at Google. Google does not care if you have a PhD, Masters, or even never went to college. Substitute any brand name tech company for Google if you want.

>It is never too late to get that job at Google. Google does not care if you have a PhD, Masters, or even never went to college.

Horseshit. Google has always preferred fresh grads who come through the pipeline from Stanford and annihilate theoretical CS problems on a whiteboard with pinpoint precision. Unremarkable old farts who argue engineering practicalities get binned. If you're brilliant, you can overcome this but denying the bias is insane.

Bay Area engineer here. Am I the only one who likes it here?

>I hate the fucking brogrammer culture and the non-stop talk about tech, even on weekends/outside of work.
This is one of the things I love, what's wrong with you OP?

I've lived here my whole life because mommy bought her house in '82.

>All my coworkers go on and on about how awesome it is here and how great life is having all these tech jobs and techies around. I just can't relate to them at all and tune out at lunch. I am thinking about moving to Seattle as it still has the interesting jobs but seems a little less tech-memey. Am I crazy or has anyone else experienced this?

protip those people are fucking lying, they hate it too but won't admit it. If you're not a homeowner in SV you've lost the game.

Well aside from what you would say, it's not typical to work at a FANG company

glassdoor.com/Salaries/south-san-francisco-senior-software-engineer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,19_IC1147412_KO20,44.htm

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5804798

Let alone in their 20's. Let alone browsing Sup Forums

Feel free to post a censored out badge. I'd bet on whoever here claims to be making that much to be a larping

When is it too late?

Go away gook

>How stupid would I be for commuting from SF to south bay via bus for work
You'd have to be insane to do that.

I least in the south east bay area (very close to MTV). I can walk to work. Pretty expensive but I can do it by avoiding the purchase of a car.