nowhere

Geidi Primes

The Trash

Don't.

Realiti - demo version

Start every day with Grimes

That hair makes her head look like a schlong

read all her interviews and skip the albums

all her albums are worthwhile except the latest one.
geidi primes and halfaxa are the shit.

Halfaxa. Don't listen to anyone telling you to start with anything off of Art Angels, because if you happen to like it, Art Angels is the only album of hers you'll like.

just watch her dancing around big black men in Oblivion

watch the video for oblivion. shes really qt in that one

I second this.
It will Improve quality of life by 100%.

start with visions, then listen to her split ep darkbloom, then choose either halfaxa or geidi primes, then listen to art angels

This

>listen to art angels
you should be ashamed of reccing that to other people

it has some good songs, plus her discography is small enough that if you become a fan, you should at least listen once.

what's Sup Forums's obsession with Grimes?

Granted, she's one of the few edm/pop artists that don't rely on a CDJ/DJM combo shit pack to play their CDs to audiences... but still...

Though she is quirky and arguably girly, her "finished" productions lack the talent of a mix/master engineer.

And, yet she charts...

Maybe this dissonance is what draws listeners to her?

She's got her charms (if you can call them that), but she's still very raw sounding.

Or is that it? Raw sounding that draws people to her?

anyways...

she reminds me of me if I had a vagina and musical talent instead of literary talent

STOP HATING Art Angels. The album is fucking great. It's your problem if you're a pleb and you don't get it.

Her music is magical. Listen closely to this instrumental of one of her songs: picosong.com/KpTM/

Pure ear candy but also some meticulous melodies. Add her quirky voice, personality and the fact she self-produced all her music and you'll see why Grimes is so adored.

dont

Sup Forums fucking hates grimes

i'm like 95% convinced that it's one person posting all of the grimes shit on this board

It can't be true. That person would be banned long time ago. Don't janitors have access to the posters' IPs?

She's just popular enough to have tons of threads opened by various persons.

well think about it. it's not like he's spamming, or making off topic posts. like it or not, grimes is music related. if some shill is really behind all or most of it, there isn't a thing the janitors could do about it as far as i know. If i wanted to make daily beiber threads that get no replies, would i get banned?

Just curious: are there official rules about how many times an artist should be posted?

bjork, radiohead, and death grips are telling me there aren't

She's only good for getting dumped full of my fat loads

wow... if only you knew the kinda of master chain I had to route that through in order to make it passably listenable.

But, I did it... and it does sound kinda cool... tho somewhat simplistic:
however, no layering; just a hand full of tracks to actually make that song (i counted 13 or so .... a far cry from the 30 - 50+ tracks that make a typical chart topper -- which is partly why I am so surprised by her -- That she can go so far with so little.

When you are used to the production level of acts like deadmau5 or PVD, or BT's army of ghost producers .... and she seems to match them by drawing in fans with her shit-tier "mixing" quality? ... fucking forget mastering (in her world, that doesn't even exist)...... well, words fail me...

Good for her. She's fucking lucky - I guess - that she doesn't feel the need for a mastering engineer.

So, I'm guessing its more than just her sound that fans like about her. amirite?

If her songs are this good, she can get away with simpler production. The whole Visions album was made in GarageBand. It was basically a bedroom recording but it struck a chord with the listeners.

In fact, the song Oblivion was the one that made her semi-famous: youtube.com/watch?v=m5H-YlcMSbc

It was voted song of the year 2012 by P4K. The rest is history.

>and she seems to match them by drawing in fans with her shit-tier "mixing" quality?
Some people just don't care about this stuff. If the songs are great they could sound a little raw, it doesn't affect the whole lo-fi vibe.

go back 2 2014

armpits

You sound autistic, the average pop listener is not that discerning about mastering. She makes catchy, fun songs with a quirky personality behind it. The lo-fi element is part of the image, but it's not that significant. No need to look that far into it.

>you will never kick it with claire
why even live

Her anus.

Art Angels was professionally mixed and mastered. This doesn't sound mastered to you? youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w

Visions, and the rest, she did all herself. In interviews, she has admitted she really sucks at mixing and tends to overcompress everything, which is why she got third party mixing and mastering for the latest one. Everything prior to Art Angels is really rough, though otherwise well-produced IMO.

Not accurate. A certain high-quality mastering style is important if you want to make mainstream pop.

Underrated

> professionally mixed and mastered.
>This doesn't sound mastered to you?
nope.

...or the engineer doesn't know what the fuck s/he is doing. The most glaringly obvious problem is that the kick is driving the mix, and further flattening out the dynamic range of her already over-compressed vocals (which is already flattened the fuck out to death) on every hit.

iow, the kick is taking up too much headroom and leaving less for the rest of the mix. But I get it, people love bass, and I guess the mastering engineer just thinks people are too stupid to notice, and wants to just throw that in everyone's face.

Protip: it's actually a good thing to do a low-cut at 30Hz on the master buss before the master compressor in the chain.
Protip 2: Bring down the kick buss level to match the rest of the mix. ...Or to EQ that shit with a low shelf on the kick. Or to EQ-shape the vocal track before the compressor, to best fit it in the mix. Or both.

Or... maybe the stems or mastered mix was already that fucked up to begin with, and even the best mix/mastering in the world can't unfuck that shit.

Other than that, the rest is mostly okay. There's still a lot more that could be done to shine the rest of this song up, but I digress.

But honestly, if that is what a "professional" can do, she should fire him/her and hire me. 'Cos obv the fuckwit hasn't spent nearly the 10000 hours needed to really know his/her trade.

>The most glaringly obvious problem is that the kick is driving the mix
I strongly disagree. The kick makes that song. It's intended to be an electronic dance-ish song, not just a pop song. It's fine if you don't like the song or the genre, but I can almost guarantee the kick's prominence is quite intentional.

>and further flattening out the dynamic range of her already over-compressed vocals (which is already flattened the fuck out to death)
They are a bit too over-compressed for my tastes, but it's supposed to be a very "loud" song. For one, she is intentionally singing/shouting loudly in many verses. And they're not *that* compressed; you can hear some fluctations throughout the song.

>Protip: it's actually a good thing to do a low-cut at 30Hz on the master buss before the master compressor in the chain.
I have my Subpac and HD 800 hooked up right now and re-listened to it. The sub-bass feels very tight and centered. Impactful, and not "rumbly" at all. Maybe it's just because I'm someone who primarily listens to electronic genres, but that kick seems absolutely fine to me in ever way.

And nothing else you said applies to this track.

Are you an actual mixing or mastering engineer, or are you just talking out of your ass?

I just checked, and that track was mixed by Spike Stent, who is certainly no spring chicken. Not sure who mastered it.

Also, I listened to the lossless version from the album release, so I can't vouch for any other version.

woooooah i just realized i want to fuck her face

Came to say this

This!!! xddddddDDDXDDDDD