Buy a new laptop

>buy a new laptop
>open start
>see this

botnet is trying to trick me. How do I disable it?

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/949569/can-i-completely-disable-cortana-on-windows-10
youtu.be/mVNRNOcLUuA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install gentoo

install gentoo

Install vista

>Install gentoo

Only viable option

Uninstall the botnet. Protip: the botnet is Windows 10.

Why would you buy something that's 1366x768? :( That makes me feel bad, user.

This user gets it

Someone told me about O+O ShutUp10 recently. Seems to list a good number of invasive processes with one-click toggling. I can't vouch for it covering all the bases though. Between that and a tour through Settings, you might be better off.

because live in a poor shithole country (check time)
shops generally don't sell high-end/high res laptops because noone can afford them
At least I got a thinkpad

Okay, I feel you. But at least the 1600x900 ThinkPads, user. I've been through the 1366x768 ThinkPad hell a few times (still love my T420, though), but this is just not an acceptible resolution in 2018.

Also, superuser.com/questions/949569/can-i-completely-disable-cortana-on-windows-10

You can disable Cortana but
>tfw you can't disable Intel IME

From what I recall from using that utility, even the most conservative settings would make Windows act janky because of how deeply the botnet is wound into functions like search. Linux really is the only way out.

Turn it off? I don't know why you turned it on.

ShutUp10

Just let her help you. She's just trying to be nice.

Windows doesn't let you disable Cortana anymore since their anniversary update, you're stuck with it.

Download Gentoo, dont install it

ltsb doesn't have this problem

This isn't true. Windows 10 LTSB N plus O&O Shutup10 and disabling the rempl task is all you need and it functions just fine.

>buy new laptop
>1366x768
you're a fucking joke and deserve everything that is happening to you

>Don't support the botnet and spynet
Don't be a fag and don't use Windows 10

Is it not possible to downgrade to 8.1 or 7? If that's not possible, consider LTSB. It's the least obnoxious version of Windows 10. You're not going to get feature updates though.

>You're not going to get feature updates though.
This is a good thing. I tried the last feature update with a fresh install of enterprise and I went back to LTSB within a day. I'll only install LTSB from now on.

install windows 7

>You're not going to get feature updates though.
this is by far the most annoying part of consumer win10 update system, it's not like these updates actually bring anything of value

Install Windows 10 LTSB or Windows 7

Most feature updates are putrid shit, but I do wish I had the GPU monitor in the task manager.

Also in the new UWP calculator you can just type ^ for exponents and now it's annoying that you can't do that in the one that comes with LTSB, but not annoying enough for me to get a new calculator program.

install gentoo

Huh, weird that I have it turned off then

It also has the worst display performance of any windows version

is it possible to downgrade a new laptop loaded with w10 back to 7

has anybody tried this?

LTSB user do not have this problem

Wrong. It's windows 10, nigger, there's essentially no difference in performance between the versions outside of game mode.

Windows 10 fucking sucked before late in the FCU. Sup Forums doesn't pay attention to the differences in Windows versions. They have no idea what changed in the CU and why anything before 1709 is garbage.

What did change and why is it better?

literally just install windows 7 you fucking mongoloid

Prove there's a repeatable difference in performance between the versions that goes beyond the margin of error. I'll wait.

Wrong nigger. Windows 10 has DWM compositing forced on, which has a huge impact on latency and frame timings. It wasn't optimized until late FCU, with the new fullscreen presentation mode and game mode. Every windows 10 version that doesn't have the FCU updates is objectively worse at the one thing windows is good for

Prove it.

>even doing a first boot on windows
>not unpacking it, inserting a USB stick mounting Xubuntu while pc is still of, turning pc on, running BIOS, launching Xubuntu, installing Xubuntu and removing Windows.
That's your fault, honestly.

literally this
I used to have a laptop with that resolution and despite the compactness and overall comfyness of the lightweight computer, I dropped it for a 1440x900 thinkpad. Much better

Install literally ANY Linux distro. That isn't w33d00s ten

youtu.be/mVNRNOcLUuA

9 minutes he tests the latency improvement from game mode, and then later notes that his numbers are lower across the board and all he did was update. This is consistent with what was changed in the creators update. DWM optimizations (DWM compositing forced on is what caused the latency), new fullscreen display mode, and game mode.

I can also tell you from personal experience that older win10 sucks for gaming. I was an early adopter and used have used every build of window. Input latency in twitch games was always noticeably worse than 8.1 or 7, and it wasn't resolved for me until late FCU. Not even early FCU. Like I said earlier, Sup Forums doesn't follow windows development, they have no idea what is in each build.

Dude, are you fucking retarded? Did you actually watch the video you linked? He EXPLICITLY says in the video that he doesn't know what caused the delay decrease because a bunch of his hardware died at the same time and he installed the latest Windows 10 after getting the new shit.

I urge you to try it yourself. First, git gud and be capable of a 10:1 kdr in shooters. Test windows 7 next to early windows 10 in your favorite twitch shooter and tell me there isn't huge fat fucking latency on the win10 machine. To make it more obvious, use borderless windowed mode. You'll notice the difference in even games like league.

Also, it shows in the video that he's using V1703, which is below V1709. V1709 being the version that you say everything below is garbage.

He doesn't know, but I do. I actually used each build and I know when the latency problem was fixed. It's obvious though. He did a set of things, one of which impacts latency directly, and he got latency benefits. Gee I wonder

>To make it more obvious, use borderless windowed mode
>caring about game latency
>still using borderless windowed mode

1703 is fine, but some builds after 1703 and before 1709 have issues with Xbox DVR being on by default and tanking performance, so I just recommend 1709

Game latency is really annoying man. Makes the game feel floaty and awful even if you're getting high frames.

>still using borderless windowed mode
Actually, I don't use borderless windowed mode anymore because the win10 updates fixed buggy alt-tabbing, and I can now alt-tab older games without crashing.

sorry, that was what i meant. if you care about game latency then you sure as fuck don't use borderless windowed mode because it has been laggy since windows 7

It's way worse in 10 because you can't turn off dwm compositing, which has a bastard-high latency vsync. In 7 and 8.1 you can turn it off. In win10 you need the optimizations from the CU

Listen, if you find me a way to customize the Windows 10 Enterprise installer to remove Cortana, Edge, and the other shit that LTSB doesn't come with, I'll benchmark latency between the latest LTSB and latest Enterprise right now.

If you have a decent amount of RAM just install linux and virtualize windows for the one or two programs that you need.
Any game that's old enough to run full speed with integrated graphics is old enough to be supported on wine.

Install Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell

I use a regular Windows 10 release with the latest update and I can disable cortana, wtf are you talking about user

I've had good results with NTLite and the W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10 scripts, along with group policy edits. I've heard about shutup 10, but I haven't used it. There is also the MSMG ToolKit.

Here is my living room gaming pc, which has a fresh install of the latest windows build. It's not a privacy machine. I use linux for that. I never have to interact with cortana.

arc linus is superior beacuse it contains systemd

Windows 7 doesn't have this problem.

Install Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. Or even better, install a Linux distro.

Can Linux run Overwatch and Titanfall 2?

All comes down to screen size. 1366x768 is pretty comfy at 11 inches. Remember Windows DPI scaling is ass, so excessive resolution won't add much apart from making some apps fugly and others microscopic.

14 inch and up, I'd say 1080p, or possibly 1600x900 at a bare minimum.

>laptop
>11 inches

>not using the minimum size for a full size keyboard that will be alright to type on while optimizing portability

there was a checkbox to disable it in the fucking setup you mongoloid

I'm back. Been using it all day, seems to be going great. My only regret is having just heard about it recently.

>a button for disable the botnet
You are even more retarded

Calm your mantits. Some OEMs sell machines that have had the out-of-box setup already done, and a user account with a name like "User" created. The thinking is that most users prefer to turn on their new PC and be greeted by a familiar desktop, not a weird screen with a circle and then questions.

>optimizing portability

>take it from desk
>put it on the back seat of my car
>take it from the back seat of my car
>putting it on whatever table wherever i go
wow

>take it on airplane
>can barely open the screen all the way on the tiny tray table
wow
I don't want to use my tiny, underpowered, cheap laptop all the time even. Just for travel. At home I can use a big, heavy, expensive but upgradable desktop.

I could use an XPS15 on airplane. Do you fly on the low cost class, mister "big, heavy, expensive but upgradable desktop"?

Alpha Litebook is less than 300$

>Do you fly on the low cost class
Yes, I do, because slightly less shitty service and more legroom for the relatively short amount of time I'm on the plane would make the experience less unpleasant, but not enough to be worth the price.

For the same money I could have a nice dinner after I land, and enjoy it a hell of a lot more than I'd enjoy a few inches of legroom. I could afford it, and I've flown first class before. But it just isn't worth what they're charging imo.

A small laptop also takes up less room in my carryon, and being a shitty cheap one I won't be as upset if something happens to it.

how many hours between screenshot and post?

It's coming. Prepare your anus.

Just make a local account and Cortana refuses to work until you sign into a Microsoft account.

>For the same money I could have a nice dinner after I land
Sucks being you, I guess. I'll go first class, comfortably playing STALKER CoP while sipping my whisky, knowing that I'll enjoy a nice hot meal shortly after landing (;

there is no way you're a girl. not cute

I'm a woman, since I'm 24 y/o.

>gaming on a plane
Meh. I've never really enjoyed the "sitting in a loud flimsy metal tube, surrounded by strangers, hurtling through the sky" part of flying. I've flown first class before, and would definitely do it again if they're giving away upgrades. Just saying, the experience was not worth what I paid for it and I'd rather do something else with that cash.

yeah, well, you're not making me self-conscious one bit

I'm 24 too but I'm not a woman. I want a refund.

I didn't pay, daddy paid for the flight

>already have a version of wangblows running fine
>sign in and ill setup your device
what did xer mean by this ? isnt my device already fucking setup ? what more can you fucking do other then literally install bloatware and ask what ads for minecraft i want to see

>Do you want NSA
>check no
>Ok ok.. i guess we wont spy on you now user

Don't install gentoo.
Gentoo makes you a slave to a repository based package manager.
I suggest you use slackware, dragora, or Debian without apt.

>thinks clicking a button can disable the botnet
The absolute state of windows users

In the real world we do this thing called "work" to obtain money. It tends to make you value your money a little more, too.

But I do work. I'm a pharmacist (:

:^)

With gpu passthrough you can

Hi where's the button to install gentoo

Ask the botnet to download a Linux iso for you and burn it to a usb stick, then install the new os. Let the botnet load the rifle that will be used to kill it

>using windows 10

Dude my 200$ Weebay laptop came with a 1080p display.

>being this naive

How about the Minix in Intel's ME?

Uninstall the CPU, CMOS chip, HDD/SSD, Camera/Microphone

"Maybe Later"