Is there such a thing as a bad best of album?

is there such a thing as a bad best of album?

If a musician can't put together a strong enough album such that they have to release their 'best ofs', then they're a shit musician.

>implying this is why they compile best of albums

They're just for the plebs who want to hear all the hits.

All of them

a lot of the time they're just shit out by the record labels without artist input

They pretty much all suck. I cringe whenever I see a best of album in someone's collection.

The philosophy;/revisionism behind a greatest hits album is often more interesting. Like, Blur's "Midlife" is an update of a previous Best Of that eschews most of their earlier, obvious hits for the later stuff most fans don't even listen to.

For sort of a hit-less band like Radiohead the greatest hits album is even more of a problem. Their Best Of is pretty much all OK Computer and The Bends.

Yes, all of them. I like listening to """"albums"""" in their right ""context""

Everything in its right place?

This. Dubs confirm.

I just realised there are almost all RH covers into the two little men.

what the fuck

this, but where's kid a? i see amnesiac and one that looks weird

Legend is good, why would you listen to a Bob Marley album? Legend has all the good songs

Kid A is in the handshake.

Look for the mountains.

I think the one that looks weird is I Might Be Wrong ᵇᵘᵗ ᶦ ᵐᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵇᵉ ʷʳᵒᶰᵍ

>hit-less band like Radiohead
m8...

>a hit-less band like Radiohead

This.

"Best of" albums, with rare exceptions, are bad.

Except in the relatively rare case where they contain new material as a bonus, the only real reasons to buy them are:

1. If you're a casual fan who's only interested in a handful of popular tracks.
2. If you're an autistic completionist who has to have every single release a group ever made just so you can sleep at night (that'd be me).

The only Best of album I like is Greatest Hits By Neil Young. He didn't change his sound that much through his career, so there's a sense of cohesiveness

Substance 1987 motherfucker

>tfw an artists greatest hits album is better than any of their other albums

Happens all too often, especially with historically singles-driven pop music.

Madonna is the poster child for this.

yes, most of them. this one's good though.

only good if your'e seriously into exploring an artist even though you SHOULD buy all the original releases.. when I was very pleb about shit i bought one cd that was a best of but it got me out of that habit and now I listen to shit in full discography