Tfw the minimalism meme is even infecting hardware schematics

>Tfw the minimalism meme is even infecting hardware schematics

Fuck distinct symbols, everything is a box now.
Not shown in this image is inductors, which are the exact same, except they're black.

Dunno, in Europe we use ISO/IEC like forever.
But I like ANSI/IEEE much better, because fuses, inductors and resistors are different symbols.

>everything was a squiggly line before
>now its a box
big whoop

>Not shown in this image is inductors, which are the exact same, except they're black.
literally not seeing that anywhere I think you're lying

oh scratch that I found it

Eh not that big of a deal. The old IEEE symbols could get confusing if the squiggly lines weren't drawn correctly.

IEC is using impedance style instead of having different symbols.

IEEE style is better.

>tfw used to US inductors and IEC resistors
I guess it's not all that standardized across EU after all.

This, I live in the UK and I've never seen an inductor labelled as a black box.

That has been the German standard for ages.

I hope you're starting to use U instead of V next, burgers.

Drawing a inductor as a "squiggle" makes sense, since they're a coil of wire.

>U instead of V

What do mean by this?
Do mean using U for electrical potential, rather than V, since the unit is Volts?

That's retarded.

They teach both at unis and depending on industry, you're going to find an abhorrent mix of both. Even worse is digital systems design where they aren't even using the same notation within one scheme.

V for "voltage" instead of U for "uneducated retard"

Not for the unit, for the symbol.

>no you

That's what I said, you fucking mongoloid.

It's called Spannung now, burger.

Americans are so fucking dense

think they are on top of the world while still using symbols and units everyone else moved on from literally centuries ago

>One of the components is LITERALLY a BLACK BOX

When will we reach the age where people simply no longer know how the underlying technology works? Like in Warhammer 40k.

>crying because a squiggle became a box
amazing

>Everything used to be distinct and easy to tell what it was at a glance
>Now they're all just boxes with varying amounts of lines
>A good thing

That time is now. Just look at all the people who don't give a shit about how much their privacy is being violated, as long as everything Just Werkz™.

And then there's the retards who insist that C is a low level language.

Bad bait. First edition of the IEC 60617-1 standard was released on 1985-01-01. It's older than you.

Do you use A for current? No you dipshit you use I
So why would you use V for voltage symbol?

Have you lived under a stone for all this time?
The european notation for electronic components exists since forever, but this time I have to side with murricans,
because it's immediate that the squiggly line is a transistor and the curvyboy an inductor, whereas empty box/black box can be anything.

We use I because A has many other meanings, like area.
Similarly, U can mean a potential of any kind and isn't limited to electrical potential.
In this case V is convenient because it very clearly denotes electric potential.

resistor*** fugg me

90% of europe uses empty box for resistors and curly boy for inductors though

It's the first time I've seen anyone try to shill IEC as the new standard (and therefore imply that it's the superior notation)

How is a squiggly line obviously a resistor?

And Europeans use a spring for inductors as well.

It's more obvious than a fucking blank box, which can mean anything.

IEC has more than one type of component that's denoted by a blank box, so you need to use context to actually figure out what the fuck it is.

Intuitively all those zigzaggy are telling you that current isn't passing as freely like it'd on a simple straight wire.

A white box reminds me of cement resistors.

The shape of the wire doesn't matter for resistance

It's just a notation, surely a bit more straight forward than a literal box, I mean it could be anything and generally in my textbooks it represent a general component that is drawing power.

Old dude here.
I came across the rectangular (on the right) symbols for resistors back in the 1980's. They had been around for a long time before that

we reached that age about 1000 years ago

It has been for a century.
Think about it though - a straight line provides no resistance, a squiggly one, well, you get the picture (I hope)

>The shape of the wire doesn't matter for resistance

Did you fucking skip out on circuits 101?
It may not matter for an ideal conductor, but length and diameter definitely effect resistance.
Some of the earliest resistors were just lengths of thin wire

this
there's more wire in a given space giving more resistance, which is how some resistors actually function
granted it's wound up in a shape not unlike an inductor, and many if not most resistors don't work like that, but the point is that it makes the connection in your mind a little easier
resistor is also often the first symbol someone learns, so it's better to make it A) make some degree of visual sense and B) not change

I was never good at drawing IEEE anyway, and by the looks IEC will be a lot simpler, so I like it.

Shape as in straight or squiggly, not the length nor the diameter.
Which are both utterly irrelevant in a schematic where all lines are ideal conductors.

It's like you skipped electronics 101

It might be more easy to think the squiggly line as a speedbump for electrons

What about phasors

But these schematics represent real components.

If the resistor is a length of wire, you're not going to draw a super long trace on the schematic, you'll use a symbol to represent it.
In this case, it's a zig-zag, which is modeled after a certain method for making wire wrap resistors.

IEEE >>>>>> IEC, I can't believe we are still discussing this, anyone who disagrees is a retarded subhuman faggot and this is a fact.
t. eurofag from a non retarded subhuman faggot country

The lines don't, they're just connectors.
If you want to denote a wire with a resistance that matters, you'd put it in as an extra resistor symbol.

Yes, and in this case, that symbol is modeled after said length of wire providing the resistance.
Christ user, this is the 3rd time I've had to explain that to you.

A resistor is quite different than a capacitor or inductor, but once you jump into the phasor space you can't really differentiate between impedance so they're all empty boxes for me

Which in the case of a schematic is zero.
And that tiny bit of extra length is pretty meaningless in any case.

I can't imagine anyone seeing the resistance symbol for the first time (but familiar with what the actual component) and go "oh obviously that's a resistor", unlike the inductor symbol or a switch symbol or a relay symbol.

It's obvious to you because that's the first symbol you learned.

Electronic symbols were created to schematize the real components, it makes sense for the resistor to look like that.
It's just a notation at the end of the day.

That doesn't mean it's obvious.
The symbol of a motor makes sense too but it's not obvious either.

Either way, anything makes more sense than a blank box, which can be used to mean literally anything.

A zig-zag will always mean resistor, while the box could be anything

I don't care as long as all of the elements are labeled and there's a list of elements. My notation is all over the place too, a mix of US, EU and whatever symbols. If there was one concise way to go then I would use it, and I try to stick to the US or EU version (mainly US). but just like me, other people use random symbols all the time so you have to adapt.
The basic RLC elements aren't really the issue compared to e.g. how people draw field transistors which is even more fucked up, because it's not just US vs EU version, it's as if everyone had their own idea how to draw them
That being said, I like the US resistor more because it's symbol makes sens of what it does, it's easier to draw than a box (drawing rectangles annoys me because you can never get them straight), and a rectangle box makes more sense for an abstract element.

Good bait

Are you complaining because it's easier now with minimalism? So you like when things are hard, right?

A zig-zag could mean a filament, Parkinson, delay line, ...

And those all have their own symbols, rather than just making everything a box.

Some loose Zig zag is a shitty component notation. Using a box with symbols to mark what kind of box it is is a lot better.

But only resistors are a box with IEC.

Inductors too, and also relays.

>inductors
That's a filled box but yeah I don't care for that one either. In DIN those are still coils.
>relay
No, relays aren't just a box.

There are a lot more things that have a box in their symbol, except you are supposed to pay attention to what kind of box symbol it is regardless.

>in Europe we use ISO/IEC like forever.
This.

Inductors in IEEE looks cool, but they're impossible to draw decently by hands

that's better. using ziggyzags for components in DC circuits is pretty much stupid as fuck

That's just a part of a relay.

>while the box could be anything
even a resistor!

Are you impaired? just swirl your hand, ever drawn a pig tail or a phone wire?

>but they're impossible to draw decently by hands
what
they're the most comfy electrical symbol to draw

you fucking idiots

Is this really that hard to draw?

>replacing a squiggle with a box
what the fuck is the problem here?

Additionally, that can be drawn in a single stroke.

You have to go out of your way if you want to draw a box with wires in a single stroke.

One is easy to distinguish from other components, the other is a fucking blank box.

But a squiggle is harder to distinguish.
A roughly drawn one can look like an inductor.

IEC makes both resistors and inductors boxes though

Very distinct boxes.

Protip: even the most shittiest of the drawing will have written 'R' for resistor and 'L' for inductor on the side of the component since a blank schematic is virtually wastepaper, so this is actually a pretty pointless discussion.

Why are you on Sup Forums if you don't like pointless discussions?