Why do people hate Philip Glass

And how can someone that claims to hate Philip Glass like Can?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v_KIcgiFCeY
youtube.com/watch?v=5antXqfUQrQ
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/philip_glass/koyaanisqatsi_f9/
youtube.com/watch?v=PXX5-p6sUwI
youtube.com/watch?v=iaKrnjY8LiY
youtube.com/watch?v=HjQA6rMwDlE
youtube.com/watch?v=xVxEsXCodgk
youtube.com/watch?v=JLLtgGbna6g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

dunno, m8

is Can really that similar though? thought I read somewhere that they were influenced by Stockhausen and not Glass

I honestly thought that was a picture of Gene Ween holy shit!

Glass' music is a lot simpler harmonically and a lot less interesting motivically.

To put it plainly it's not as complex as someone like Reich.

Not my point.

The thing people seem to dislike most about Glass is his repetition.

Like, listen to any of those 20ish minute Can songs and tell me they aren't repetitive.

I like both Glass and Can, by the way. I find repetition extremely hypnotic.

>Simpler harmonically
I don't honeslty know how to judge that but I very much doubt it can be backed up in hard terms. Maybe you could find some glass songs less "complex" than some Can songs but Can songs mostly aren't that complex and I also think complexity is overrated anyway.

Phillip Glass was te original spam shitposter

>only listen to Glassworks and In The Upper Room

I need more Philip Glass reccs

>I don't honeslty know how to judge that but I very much doubt it can be backed up in hard terms.
Reich's music uses a lot more extensions, this is objectively true you faggot piece of shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=v_KIcgiFCeY
youtube.com/watch?v=5antXqfUQrQ

ive actually never thought of can as repetitious

The rest of his fucking music

I don't even dislike Glass, I was just curious. The repetition in Can doesn't seem super Glass-influenced but I understand what you mean

so wrong.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/philip_glass/koyaanisqatsi_f9/

make sure its this version

anti semitism

GREAT FUCKING ARUGMENT KDI

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

YOU LISTENED TO GLASSWORKS AND NOW YOU HAVE TO DEFEND YOUR SHITTY COMPOSER TO DEATH

HAVE YOU DONE ANY STUDY OF HARMONY

HAVE YOU *******LOOOOOOOKED****** AT A SCORE BY EITHER COMPOSER

NO YOU HAVEN'T BECAUSE YOU'RE A LOSER

YOU'RE EITHER A TEENAGER POSTING FROM YOUR SUBURBAN HOME WITH YOUR PATHETIC CODDLED FAMILY

OR YOUR A NEET WHOSE COMPLETELY WASTED THEIR LIFE

I'm not talking about Reich, I'm talking about Can. Read it again.

I know that Glass isn't super complex but I also don't think that matters. I'm not even attempting to state anything about Reich, I like his stuff too.

I specifically don't understand the virulent hate for glass though.

Then read the fucking original post again you degenerate: Not my fault you can't read

For (You)

Not all of can is, but tracks like this definitely are.
youtube.com/watch?v=PXX5-p6sUwI

Not as rigidly repetitive as something like Glass's stuff like in Einstein on the Beach but you can definitely call it repetitive.

In my OP, I wrote

>And how can someone that claims to hate Philip Glass like Can?

You say
>Glass' music is a lot simpler harmonically and a lot less interesting motivically.
before you even mention Reich's name. How the fuck am I supposed to know you weren't talking about Can? There's literally no subject in your sentence for him to be simpler than if not Can.

I also don't understand why you're so angry. Did Philip Glass rape your family or something?

You have to be the angriest guy on Sup Forums right now.

you havent seen my swollen nuts, have you?

hard to call continuous development repetitive, no memes m8....honestly didnt strike me as repetitive this listen, but im biased in wanting to destroy you perhaps?

youtube.com/watch?v=iaKrnjY8LiY

I'm an expert on both so allow me to BTFO of that one faggot poster in this thread shitting on Glass but praising Reich.

Glass did a lot more than most people give him credit for let alone even fucking know about. This alone should disqualify most people from talking about him, especially if the only piece they know by him is Einstein.

Refer to these pieces by Glass for examples of his variety:

Symphony No. 8
youtube.com/watch?v=HjQA6rMwDlE

Dance no. 1 from Dance
youtube.com/watch?v=xVxEsXCodgk

Wise Man from Concert of The Sixth Sun
youtube.com/watch?v=JLLtgGbna6g

Now, this by no means is knocking Reich. They are both incredible composers, but aside from their early works, make vastly different music. This is especially true today.

Now, let's compare some scores. Look at pic related. On the left, you have Reich's Electric Counterpoint, and on the right you have Glass' Einstein on the Beach. Notice similarities? They're primarily diatonic, and not very complex save for rhythm. This is not cherry picked either, both of these pieces are very known and recognized.

Only retired Boomers like minimalism.

If you want some further, more in depth analysis you can ask, and I will oblige. I'm studying however so I might not post but I enjoy blowing the ever living shit out of tryhards who think they know a composer from one fucking piece. It'd be like saying you know Beethoven from listening to his 4th symphony, or Shostakovich by listening to his 8th symphony, it's pure unadulterated bullshit. Faggots like should be castrated desu, they probably prefer dogshit like new complexity or James McMillan.

>implying I don't
>implying minimalism isn't bullshit regardless

I'm only glad the genre has seen its marketing heydey and all its composers will die soon anyway.

Minimalism isn't bullshit by virtue of the fact that the term itself doesn't even fucking mean anything retard.

It's a journalistic shorthand used to lump a bunch of composers together who didn't even share composing philosophies. The only piece of minimalism ever written is Riley's In C.

If you think that In C, Mf18M or Einstein sound anything alike, or even have similar properties, you're a fucking retard. Commit suicide pronto senpai

minmialism is a fact
suck i t bb

Because Glass is melodic and tonal, Can is to a lesser degree.

they both poor man's Nyman

He simply bores me

you must be a hit at all the parties