Best router

What is the best router?

ubiquiti edgerouter poe.
microtik routers have tiered os faggotry and DIY pfsense boxes don't give you as much for your money. standard consumershit isn't even worth mentioning even with customized firmware

>ubiquiti edgerouter poe.
nope. their routers are crap. Their access points are OK.

DIY router is the only way to go. I don't care if it's pfSense, IPfire, or your roll your own iptables rules.

I'd thought I'd expand on my initial question. What is the best router for vpn's?

It doesn't have to be large, can be quite small with a few ports.

>nope. their routers are crap
wrong. 100% uptime only interrupted by firmware updates and has more than enough processing power for real gigabit fiber internet. good luck getting 4 ports with PoE and three hardware switched ports on a DIY router. not to mention hardware acceleration features that a DIY router would need brute processing power to match.

>100% uptime only interrupted by firmware updates
how is this special? what kind of shit did you had before?

Every single consumershit router I've ever owned going all the way back to 2008 with dd-wrt and later openwrt firmwares all needed reboots to correct performance issues after long uptimes. The closest thing to decent was an Asus RT-AC66U with John's fork of AsusWRT-Merlin. Now I never even think about my networking hardware except when I see threads like this or decide to check for updates on a whim.

asus rt-ac68u with Asuswrt-Merlin... never had problems. 1 Gbit/sec (download/upload)

>good luck getting 4 ports with PoE and three hardware switched ports on a DIY router
Oh now I know for sure your are a techlet
combining routers and switches into one device is consumer tier crap. go ahead and run your pos router, but it's a fucking pos bigtime.

And my core2duo has more processing power and more ports than your consumer shit off the shefl plebtier toy

And if I need PoE (god forbid for anything other than access points or security cameras) I can get one at Fry'd electronics for $20.

Used Cisco enterprise grade routers should do just fine if you know how to set it up

Used cisco with tomato.

>combining routers and switches into one device is consumer tier crap. go ahead and run your pos router, but it's a fucking pos bigtime.
wrong. it's called buying the right tool for the job, something a hobbyist like yourself doesn't understand because you need something to fill the void that is your life. hint: following someone else's tutorial on how to set up a pfsense box doesn't make you smart or knowledgeable.
>And my core2duo has more processing power and more ports than your consumer shit off the shefl plebtier toy
i would hope so considering the TDP of any core2duo cpu is higher than the max power consumption of every single edgerouter in existence. right tool for the job wins again!

FortiGate has really good VPN throughput for a low price if that's what you're after.

>And my core2duo has more processing power and more ports than your consumer shit off the shefl plebtier toy
What do you use all that processing power and all those ports for?
I only use two ports on my firewall. The incoming connection and the one that goes to my switch.

>What do you use all that processing power and all those ports for?
Multiple networks for production, testing, wifi/guest, printers, 3x internet connections.

>tfw missed chance to fuck mom while she was hot

>macbooks of routers
no class

>consumershit isn't even worth mentioning even with customized firmware

lol no cares about industrial shit here you faggot nigger, we are consumers here and dont give a fuck about coding. just fuck off to reddit and accept we consumers are taking over this shit board.

I want to build my own router but it's super fucking hard to find cheap parts, POE ports and anything that consumes low energy

Explain

As someone that had the interest to do so at one point, it isn't worth the time or effort because you'll never be able to put something together that works as well as a Ubiquiti or Microtik router especially if you consider price and power consumption. People that disagree either have some very specific use case or just want to play around with config files and pretend they're a sysadmin.

That doesn't require much processing power at all.

>That doesn't require much processing power at all.
I recycled an old workstation here. Didn't cost anything.
As for power, it's included in the suite lease, so saving power is of no concern

>mac
Found your problem.

Well yeah, but it seemed like you were saying that your router was better than his because it had more processing power, but it doesn't sound like you're using that extra performance for anything.

More processing power is kind of pointless if it's not doing anything.

>>>DURR RAM IS USELESS IF ITS NOT BEING USED