Post your curve

Post your curve

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/
rateyourmusic.com/collection/SellMeAGod/r5.0
rateyourmusic.com/list/SellMeAGod/why_i_rate__a_word_about_thee_benefits_of_a_positive_rating_model/
rateyourmusic.com/wiki/RYM:Weighting FAQ
rateyourmusic.com/~MalcolmXWing
rateyourmusic.com/~schtraw
rateyourmusic.com/~Jukisoba[/spoiler]
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wtf is this

rateyourmusic.com/ is a music rating website where you rate the albums/eps/singles (if you're an autist). Ideally your curve should be normal or skewed upwards, but sometimes idiots have fucked up curves because either a) they do not know how rating systems work or b) they use a retarded "negative rating system" only used by uber aspies

The other day I saw some bullshit "horseshoe" rating system. Dumbest shit I've ever seen on that site

What the fuck is that even? He either loves albums or hates them? Fucking retard lmao

Basically, 5.0 means it's a 10/10 for the "right brain" (Basically, good pop) and 0.5 is for the left brain ("Intelligent music" or some shit) and 2.0 is the worst. Made no sense

Jesus fucking christ.

Just...

...christ

No shame.

stop this

>the art of fugue, desershore, ascension, future days, the list simply goes on

hahaha you're so funny! le avant-teen meme iamrite?

Actually it's SellMeAGod's curve, here's his 5.0: rateyourmusic.com/collection/SellMeAGod/r5.0

What the fuck where's IV
kys

Was originally the 4.0 rating, but I changed to VII for a bit.

Of course it's fucking Sell Me a God's curve.
Jesus I hate that pretentious fuck

Are your first handful of ratings a good indication of your future curve?

>tfw im a FF contrarian and actually put II as one of my personal favorites
just fucking end me familia

A lot of people seem to like FFII, I just always hated how it handles the "leveling up" thing, especially HP.

filename 2bh

i dont know what to rate 5 stars

>tfw waiting for glitchwave so I can make vidya curves as well

RYM needs a feature where you can filter out retards like this. You should be able to blacklist these people and have their album ratings omitted from the calculated rating displayed.

>tfw on glitchwave but can't do curves yet

RYM L i t e r a l l y does. He doesn't have any rating weight because of how he rates.

Here, read his reasoning. It actually makes some sense:rateyourmusic.com/list/SellMeAGod/why_i_rate__a_word_about_thee_benefits_of_a_positive_rating_model/

They don't have rating weight, now shut up

Holy shit I had no idea they actually do that. Does it say anywhere on the site how they calculate the weight of someone's ratings? I know if you don't visit the site for 60 days your ratings will lose weight, but I didn't know they do it based on curves.

His reasoning sort of makes sense I guess, but in order for the rating system to function correctly overall it makes more sense to rate on an absolute scale, with 1 being the worst ever and 10 being the best ever.

Read the fucking charts faq

nvm found it

rateyourmusic.com/wiki/RYM:Weighting FAQ

Also I do agree with your second point. But I also agree with sellmeagod that "degrees of hate" are pointless.

One other thing about a positive rating system is that you rate everything you hear, and put it into either .5 or 1 or sometimes 1.5 by default; and the rest is for albums you like and return to.

This leads to the problem of potentially great albums being grouped in with shit albums in .5, just because you havent quite digested them yet.

What I do is only rate things that I have at least some opinion on, that I'm at least somewhat familiar with. Usually this means 2 or 3 listens. Also, I don't use the lowest ratings: a 2 is bad and a 2.5 is kind of bad. That is in line with Sellmeagod's avoidance of "degrees of hate". 3-5 are levels of liking; this is opposed to SMAG's system where 1.5-5 are levels of liking.

The drawbak to my system is I have less precision for levels of liking than SMAG's system. However this is kind of a good thing because music rating is such a wishy washy thing anyway.

Finally what do I do with music I only have first impressions of and am not ready to rate: I just group them in musicbee into either positive, neutral, or negative first impression, so i can at a glance see what I should give more listens to soon.

Yeah I generally don't rate things until I've listened to them a couple of times, unless it's a type of music I'm extremely familiar with and can get a good feel for an album on a first listen (which is really rare).

I see what you're saying, it's just that the 'absolute' scale works real well for me. Technically that only gives me 4 degrees of 'liking' an album, with 3.5 and up representing this. But I've never had a problem putting albums in a certain rating. There might be some '4' albums that are slightly better than other '4' albums but not enough for them to slide into a higher rating and group them with those, but that doesn't really bother me.

I like to think of the site as a decent knowledge base, and for me it's more just about contributing to that. I'd relegate my 'favorites' lists to the actual lists on my profile.

My curve looks pretty similar to yours just with about 1/3rd the ratingsAnd yeah I see what youre saying about contributing to a knowledge base. I use rym for recs all the time so I have a general feel for my first thoughts upon seeing that an album is rated 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, and try to translate that to my ratings. "Would I be satisfied if this album had a 3.5-ish rating on rym?" Is what I think when I rate an album 3.5. Of course, my own personal favorites are the 4.5s and 5s.

I think rym ratings generally fall between 2.5 and 4.0, and I think that lends itself well to a rating system- those 4 values are perfect for most things; and then one or two spots for albums you really dislike below, and two spots for albums you really love above.

2.0 is my dumping ground.
No point in showing what I hate

Curious as to what your one 5.0 is

>"negative rating system"
explain

Faust - s/t

Interesting. What are your 4.5s?
What defines a 4.0 vs a 4.5 to you?

How often I am likely to replay them. Boring answer but it's da truf

fair enough

thats a positive rating system not negative

He was joking

but that says positive rating system

I really only listen to albums I think I'll like.
I also rate singles, which tend to be a bit more polarizing.
Most of my low rated shit is exclusively singles.

But even with that in mind, I like most music.

please rate mine

nice curves (in my opinion):

I get the feeling you think weezer are good from it so 2/10

I'll rate your rating curves.

I can't stand weezer

The thing about positive rating systems that people don't understand is that they're only interesting if you have a lot of ratings. SMAG has 5k ratings so even if he adopts a high criteria for his highest ratings he will still have a decent number of 4.5s and 4.0s so people can easily know what is his "canon" just by clicking these.
And then you see people with like, 400 ratings adopting his system and they end up with like, no 5.0s one 4.5, three 4.0s, six 3.5s etc. It's dumb because you can't get a good general idea of a person's taste with ao few albums so you'll end up having to click all of their ratings from 2.5 to 4.5 in order to get a good idea of what this person likes, and I'm too lazy to do that

ill rate this 10/10

What does a vagina feel like user?

you hate music. fuck off pleb.

>RYM L i t e r a l l y does. He doesn't have any rating weight because of how he rates.
Actually the weight is to avoid bots/stealth marketeers rating the albums they are advertising with 5.0 or 4.5 or etc.. and rating others albums they dont want to have good score (yes bots and advertisers also do the reverse of shilling some big youtubers use bots to downvote videos on main youtube page, some stealth marketeers complain about other games)
low weights is not to avoid hypotetical "bullshit curves"

you're all dumb as hell

mein kurve

rateyourmusic.com/~MalcolmXWing

I wish I could come up with better descriptions.

Hm?

ehh, it does the job and it's a lot better than cheeky comparisons to trivial shit
do you just listen to a lot of music you know beforehand you'll dislike or do you have a really niche taste?

>ehh, it does the job and it's a lot better than cheeky comparisons to trivial shit

Yeah, those are really stupid and annoying.

Hm

rateyourmusic.com/~schtraw
if you wanna check it out

I can't rate anything below 2.5. I just feel bad about rating something I can't finish.

smag literally says on the page i linked that he has no rating weight

I feel for you, it's kind of contradictory even have a rating system for under average releases.

[spoiler]I genuinely didn't know until now that this site existed. Here's my page and what I have added so far: rateyourmusic.com/~Jukisoba[/spoiler]

Well fuck me.

It has to be fucking abysmal for me to not be able to finish it, and in that case I end up rating it 0.5.

The ones I rate 1.0 to 2.0 I listened from beginning to end at least once.

i just made my account like last week don't hate me

Why use rym? Is there any advantage to rating albums on it besides being able to jerk yourself off about how amazing your curves are(spoilers, they aren't amazing.)

kills a few minutes every day

pretty happy about my curve desu but my 4-5 star ratings are all pretty cliche

I wouldn't rate an album I never finished, but most of the time I will stop listening to an album if I know it's gonna end up being less than a 2/5

organizing all the music you listen to/own/want to own/have seen live (less of this than the others), discussion with other music fans about music, keeping yourself informed of what's to come out soon, etc.

this too

Fair enough, those sound like decent enough reasons to get an account. Thanks.

it took me some time to get used to the layout of the site but once you do it becomes second nature. it's about to change to Sonemic though, so don't get too attached

cataloguing and keeping score of one's music listening, plus showing off how cool your taste is

Okay so someone help me out here. I don't even use RYM really because I just rate everything 4.0 and above so it just seems pointless (I only rate music I already own, and therefore already like).

But I have a question for those of you in here with like 1000+ ratings. How have you genuinely listened to that many albums? And i mean listened to them well enough to give an accurate rating? For me personally there's no way I could rate an album after one listen. I mean shit, the new Radiohead album I've heard maybe 4 times and I still don't even know how much I like it.

I'm genuinely interested in knowing your guys' approach, because I would love to be able to listen to heaps of stuff and rate it all, but it just seems impossible to me tbqh.

I'm close to 3k ratings. If I liked the album I just heard (say, if it's at least a 3.0 for me) I try to listen to it again until I get a good idea of it.
So at least for most of my ratings I can say I heard them twice.

See 3k is just crazy to me. Can i ask, how many times do you listen to albums you really like?

Like last week for example I downloaded a few albums, and I've just been stuck on them replaying because they're really good to me. Thrown in all my old favourites and Its like I don't even have time to try out new stuff, because I'm so addicted to the shit I've already got you know? I've got 260 albums on my iTunes, which is not a lot by the standards around here. But its taken me maybe 2 years of serious listening to get here. How do I get into the mindset of listening to more varied stuff more often?

it's all about context for me - within the artist's discography and the album's genre, as well as all of the albums i have listened to over the years of every style. honestly though, it's all subjective anyway

If I actually bothered rating a lot of shit I dislike, it'd be different

I don't put much thought into my ratings tBh. Ratings are never final and you can always change them if your opinion on an album changes after subsequent listens. It's just a stupid number, I rate everything after one listen and really don't care.

If I really like something I hear it countless times, really
>How do I get into the mindset of listening to more varied stuff more often?
Hmm, I don't use it but /daily/ might actually be useful for this

dude modern classical lmao 2209

some of them
you just understand some albums are not for you at first listen
for some that i should theoretically have liked, i give them another spin

Ya for sure. Its so mood related for me. I had Smile Sessions at a 5, then I just listened to it again and wasn't so hot on it so I changed it...

What is /daily/? I've seen it around a lot. Is it a board? I assume its like listening to a new album every day? Is there more to it than just that?

See this really interests me senpai. Last time I talked about this I got absolutely shit on but here goes. How do you listen to so much stuff that you dislike? (or at least rate lowly). Do you find stuff that's rated lower and then check it out for yourself? I know, i know, rating doesn't influence you before you listen, but in my case, I really don't think I could find an album rated over 4 on RYM that I wouldn't like. So i tend to do a bit of digging, read up on critical reviews and general consensus on albums before trying them, and I end up liking everything I listen to. People crucified for this last time I said it, because apparently I'm letting numbers rule my listening or whatever, but albums are highly rated for a reason right?
To make a long and rambling story into a question, what is your discovery method? How do you decide on what you'll give a listen to?

>The point of these threads, is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to, and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

O I C thanks dood.

I might have a go at making one of those calendars to get some new shit going.

Dunno if liking every critically acclaimed album is good or bad, but there certainly exists critically acclaimed albums I really don't enjoy or enjoy just a little. All 6 of my 10/10 albums happen to be acclaimed (4 of them are top 100 in RYM), but there also exist albums in the top 100 which are simply boring.