This thing has sublime harmonies and melodies... but the fucking wank in it is disgusting

This thing has sublime harmonies and melodies... but the fucking wank in it is disgusting.
Why did they fuck it up?

Because they're Dream Theater.

le

Modern prog is all wankery and no soul.

I hope you're not implying all prog is not all wankery and no soul.

yes has soul desu

Like if you ever wonder what an offensive racial caricature of white people would look like as done by a member of another race, just look at prog rock.

Most of the classics have substance to them. Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant all balanced technical prowess with good songwriting. It complimented the wankery in a way that gave that wankery a sense of purpose, instead of just entirely being for the sake of showing off.

The whole thesis of King Crimson was to literally take the soul out of rock. Guitars tuned like orchestral strings, blues influenced hacked out and classical slopped in like a third world sex-change.

I love this record desu. Call it guilty pleasure, but I like most of the stuff DT has put out

Do you consider the solo in Fatal Tragedy to be wank?
Because if so you can go fuck yourself

>sublime harmonies and melodies
post just one

>Sup Forums commonly uses "wank" to deride prog
>will praise 30-minute long atmoshit and noise

Still easily their best album in terms of concept and composition. Not arguing that they aren't a band that relies heavily on wank, but it was all downhill after this if you are honest with yourself.

That said, Home is still a banger of a song. Thought that at 14 and still feel that way a decade later.

>fourteen minute song with muh sitar and sex noises under the extremely extended guitar solo
>a banger of a song
kek

The Spirit Carries On

tips fedora is the dream theater of memes

that's literally the most soulful DT song, if it doesn't give you a bit of feels you're quite dead inside

gay as fuck queen ripoff

spirit carries on makes me cringe. the passion in it sounds forced

most passion in music sounds forced

TPAB exists

"passion" in music is forced, by nature

Honestly, every intended emotional response in music is

Why do people get so angry at Dream Theater? And they even worth getting angry at?

i'm saying the song sounds exceptionally forced to me

>classical slopped in like a third world sex-change

What does that even mean? You're not a writer, you're just some faggot.

Well obviously, but in what way? What makes it "forced"? It's not like it's an exceptionally different kind of song from any of the other power ballads ever made. In that sense, all of those are forced as well.

Nah, not really. They're not exactly a token of stellar song-writing, but most of their albums are generally inoffensive.

just the opening lyrics make me cringe

Where did we come from?
Why are we here?
Where do we go when we die?
What lies beyond
And what lay before?
Is anything certain in life?

i like the story of the album and all but then this hardly deep soul trancend spiritual hippieness hits my face

Because Dream Theater is horrible and are for fags who think they're cool for listening to it.

fuck are those the actual lyrics? lmfao

>for fags who think they're cool for listening to it.
lol

At least it still has a pulse unlike the disjointed, zombified records they're putting out now. DT's vocals were always shit, their composition was a mixed bag, and their songs lacked depth and emotional complexity. On the other hand, they riff really fucking hard and are excellent musicians technically.

Sometimes that's what you want to hear. Not saying I think of it or expect it to be anything more. Expecting a single band to be a one-stop shop for your musical needs either implies you have boring needs or that you have unrealistic expectations. I would have expected nothing less from Sup Forums.

I like wank so I like Dream Theater

their riffs are mostly garbage, aside from their first three albums
losing moore caused them to lose their songwriting abilities

i don't expect them to be a "one-stop shop", i listen to lots of prog metal and of different styles, but dream theater has had nothing to offer for the last two decades

As someone who enjoys Dream Theater
they can't make one album without a horrible over the top wankery bullshit song

Also they haven't made a decent album since Octavarium/Six Degrees

>take rock'n'roll as a genre
>pull down its pants
>take some scissors
>lop off its penis and testicles (blues)
>open donor organ cooler
>pull out uterus and ovaries (classical)
>just jam it up in the hole you made, doesn't matter how
>duct tape shut
>king crimson
Not that fucking difficult of a metaphor, stove toucher.

>Expecting a single band to be a one-stop shop for your musical needs either implies you have boring needs or that you have unrealistic expectations.
damn...

DT Vocals are usually fucking weak too.
The rest of them are pretty good

Is there anything in the world that comes close to the godly part in Fatal Tragedy where the guitar and keyboards have inhuman sex?

But they did just that, this year. Don't tell me you fell for the meme and avoided it.

oh yes let's ignore the fact that the technical break on 21st Century Schizoid Man is basically running up and down a G blues scale. And Ladies of the Road is basically a blues rock song. And the main riff of The Great Deciever relies heavily on the blues note

Kill yourself btw

images and words is better

> writes analogy
> it's so retarded that he has to make another post explaining it
> still doesn't make sense
> proud of himself
> mfw

AND IFFF I DIIIIE THE SPIRIT CARRIES ONNN

That's hair metal though

I like the instrumentation but the lyrics are just too shit for me to truly enjoy the music

>prog heads can't into figurative thinking
>probably why they like such obvious quantifiable music
>somehow this is my problem

>implying technical skills isn't soul

I seriously don't understand how the same people who think DT has no soul go on to listen to niggers rapping about MUH BITCHES AND WHORES and think it's in any way or form more soulful.

I know right , fucking white people. It's 2016!We should all be listening to Beyonce and Kendrick, its the least we could do.

>Guy listens to DT, tells me about it
>I mention I like them
>He says "why, they just repeat the same two chords over and over for several minutes, there's no merit in writing long songs like that"

How wrong is he, Sup Forums?