Thoughts?

Thoughts?

cnbc.com/2018/02/20/mark-cuban-philosophy-degree-will-be-worth-more-than-computer-science.html

Good. I'm sick of computers.

Wrong but being well rounded will be valuable, yeah.

this has Sup Forums written all over it

>yadda yadda biased opinion, here's why
>blah blah controversy, and that's a good thing
I hate this new form of click bait headlining

>Personally, Cuban is concerned about the rapid advancement in artificial intelligence.

>"It scares the s--- out of me," says Cuban at the Ozy Fest conference in New York City in July 2017. "However much change you saw over the last 10 years with the iPhone, over the last 20 years with the Internet, over the last 30 years with PCs, etc., that is nothing. Nothing!"

He's right about that. It's a game changer, and it's just going to move more rapidly. We're going to see huge amounts of jobs just gone like POOF, in about 10 years time. It won't be the slow decline like we saw in American manufacturing. So it will be even harder to adjust to.

Personally I think a philosophy degree isn't worth as much as he thinks it is. Most college philosophy professors suck, to be honest They all have their own pretty narrow pet philosophical views. And you can only learn so much from logic courses, which is probably the most valuable thing you would gain from that degree.

Computer Science is still a safer bet, imo, just with the idea that things are changing rapidly and you should keep up with new ideas and programming and machine-learning, etc.

Does anyone in Tech actually take Mark Cuban seriously? He seems more like a celebrity CEO of products for morons.

what does philosophy have to do with AI anyway, seems like even neurology would be more relevant

Mark Cuban know jack shit about technology.
Because he started a "tech" company at the start of his career.
He's made his money buying shit connected to technology but has no experience in the process actual technology.
So him talking about A.I. and what not is akin to any 60 year old manager afraid of technical change.
And yes he's just a celebrity CEO looking to expand his brand and build credibility as a guru to sell more books and shit.

Pretend to know what you're talking about and people will think you know what you're talking about.
This is the key to many celebrity business guru's success.

I have worked at many engineering companies and firms. AI cannot even begin to do what I need done, it's useless unless I can talk to it like one of my own employees and get it to do what I need.

This meme needs to die. Because a 60 year old got to see some cool prototypes of some automated bots doesn't mean shit about what it will actually be able to replace.

>some retard says some stupid shit
amazing

Cuba is my hero

>AI
KEK

>scares the shit out of me.
Fucking faggot,

AI is a joke field, it will not be able to do this.

>mark cuban
sage

>I need you to have a PhD in philosophy from Harvard and 10 years work experience before I will listen to you say that UBI is a good idea in the event of mass job displacement

Pathetic

Philosophy is fucking science about thoughts of ancient greeks and other romans during pooping IN LOO.
How it can bring money, but teaching other students to teach student?

Don't listen to him. He's only rich because he tricked idiots into giving him money during the first dot com boom. This is more of that.

i'd rather compete with indians on a market that sell goods than with 2000 years of history on a market that never did
philosophy is only good for you're self

AI is not a joke, it is serious stuff. But fucking niggers that talk about AI and do nothing are joke.

Philosophy majors don't do it for the money, though it is a good one for becoming a lawyer. Philosophy requires a lot of critical and out-of-box thinking, if you're not just sitting in a low-tier state college class anyway. Even the low tier requires more critical thinking skills than most majors, however. My grandfather only hires philosophy majors now - little anecdote.

>Philosophy requires a lot of critical and out-of-box thinking,
Oh lol. Philosophy is true IN BOX thinking.
EE and other engineerings are real OUT OF BOX thinking.

>a set true formula requires you to think on layers about whether it's true or not, or simply subjective
Found the idiot.

Only with limited resources great thing could be done. Limited resources are formulas... Great product - everything you see.
Even wheel was an out-of-box thinking.

How the fuck did this brainlet become millionaire? He knows shit about what hes saying
He probably thinks programming is drag and drop shit or wordpress templates like other retards

Can a wheel be made better in a different shape other than round? If you add one stick to another stick and simply count, will you get a different answer every time? Seems very the opposite of out.

Don't know. But I can translate what he tried to say: "Programmers are fucking ass-handed brainlets, that can't even make PC work. They are worthless, they are even more worthless then fucking philosophers"

Unironically, you can.
At some time it was an out-of-box thinking, because wheel were narrow and sleek and wooden, and water planing was an issue.

Thats what you get for hiring Pajeets to cut costs

>and he anticipates that eventually technology will become so smart it can program itself

Self-maintanable code already exists
Chromium is made autonomosly by bots

>"i work in stem"

>Philosophy majors don't do it for the money,
then they're idiots. you go get a degree to make money. why would you get a degree in something if you know you are not going to be able to support yourself using that knowledge?

>Chromium is made autonomosly by bots
no it's not. unless you're talking about TravisCI

>not posting the post-AI version

^this guy gets it fully. Same with shithead musk.

> He's only rich because he tricked idiots into giving him money during the first dot com boom.
Funny how this is the same regarding Musk...
From Digital yellow pages propped up by his well connected parents...to then installing shadowing contributor to paypal where he wanted to install windows instead of linux to run ops.

>"i dont"

This might shock you, but some people do stuff because they have a passion for it and don't care about money to be made.

Then why don't they just learn about it on their own instead of spending 20 grand on a hobby?

I think he's half right

Psychology will be a necessary skill in computing in the near future with AI, but it definitely won't make comp sci worthless lmao

Because they can learn about it from others with more knowledge and experience than them. Not everyone is a moneygrubbing Jew you know.

> Chromium snapshots are built automatically several times a day byBuildbotBuildslavesand made available as binary code releases. Once a snapshot has been built, it is placed in a directory in the chromium-browser-snapshots root directoryand it is automatically tested. If the snapshot passes the automated testing, it is placed in a directory in the chromium-browser-continuous root directory.

Philosophers are fucking retards and the few who impact computers do so individually.

Philosophers are more useful in fucking standardizing language schemes than they are dealing with AI.

Fucking hilarious, if the kind of AI that this guy is talking about ever is invented I guarantee it will be composing symphonies and making art more breathtaking than anything humanity has ever created. Do these retards really not understand that the concept of "automating automation" applies to a lot more than just STEM fields? Plenty of research is already going into this kind of stuff, computers that write novels, draw pictures and compose music will probably come far sooner than we have a fully functional general AI.

Or maybe because they're brainlets who cant handle mathematics and logic

What is worth in life?

Happiness/contentment or work? Diogenes is worth more than Steve Jobs.

He'll be dead before he has to worry about AI replacong him.

The last thing to go will be these types of people due to the complexity of replicating them with the routine of a machine.

I think it's interesting to think about the future of AI in creative industries. I think some people believe it will generate new and innovative sounds and visuals and ideas that blow humans out of the water... Instead, it will most likely be analysis and constant refinement of common popular tropes, meaning all entertainment will live in this cycle of the same shit re-hashed over and over. Kind of like all entertainment currently but thousand software times faster.

The irony of this information age is that while there may be so much information (including media) that appeals to each individual's niche, it's still incredibly difficult to actually find what you want. I don't see a way to get around this without the organisations that produce your information to live intrusively in your life. I think this is reasonable to say based on what most companies do today.

tl;dr the future of creative AI involves the utter abolition of privacy and freedom so people can be targeted with the same media over and over again that appeals to them.

Those tires are round. You're just adding traction to a round wheel.

spend dollars and cents on our jew degree...

>LOL YOU'LL BE WORKING AT MCDONALDZ

Working there provides more benefits that working for some dead end start up.
The field is over-saturated.

Mark Cuban? The guy who put radio on internet and sold out to Yahoo at the peak of the internet bubble?

He's a glorified lottery winner, not an expert in anything.

>working at mcd is better than it
>having no skills is good

Cuban made his money by getting lucky and cashing out right at the peak of the tech bubble.
He got famous by playing a business man on a reality TV show.
Why would anyone take this retard seriously?

Well you would take gambling advice from lottery winners, wouldn't you?

Any degree is better than "computer" ""science""