Who fucking thought this was a good idea

Who fucking thought this was a good idea
Who sat down and said, "Java is a good idea"

Other urls found in this thread:

offersallin1.com/coupons/test-your-core-java-skills/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

people who had to maintain unportable UB ridden legacy C++ that took over 24 hours to compile and leaked memory like a sieve

Me. I did it.

An incredibly gifted programmer named Gosling.

Java, and the JVM, is fucking amazing.

/thread

>We were after the C++ programmers. We managed to drag a lot of them about halfway to Lisp.
Guy Steele, co-author of the Java spec

Udemy Free Test your Core Java skills
offersallin1.com/coupons/test-your-core-java-skills/

Java is moving forward a bit too slow but that's understandable given how heavily it is used in enterprise and how backwards compatibility must work flawlessly. It's not an easy task. JVM on the other hand is absolutely best piece of technology right now and if you don't like java you can always use some other JVM language.

>Java
>amazing
You're joking

shut the fuck up. Java is great and JVM is amazing

>C++
>fast like sonic
obviously not talking about compilation times

Java is decent for what it is.
As the replacement to C++ for """enterprise""" software it's good.

Better than Rust.

Rust's compilation times are actually pretty good. You can thank symbolic imports and a much simpler grammar for that.

/thread

C++ is better than Java in every regard

grow up kiddo

such as?

>fast
>RAII > garbage collectors
>easy interop with C libs, low-level OS APIs
>harder to outsource to India

Java is easier to maintain, faster to develop high-level business logic in and has a good all-round standard library

>fast
the performance gain is almost always negligible in practice and JVM is able to perform additional runtime optimizations
>RAII > garbage collectors
that's debatable, especially considering things like closures and concurrency. RAII is also possible in Java to some extent.
>easy interop with C libs, low-level OS APIs
interop with required OS APIs is integrated in the platform. interop with custom C libs is possible (I have to admit it's pretty cumbersome), although very rarely needed as Java has great libraries for basically anything.
>harder to outsource to India
can't argue with that one

Java is pretty good. I've made peace with it. I used to believe that it was a shit programming language before I really made use of it. It just works. There is a reason why Java is the NUMBER 1 programming language.

It was designed to commoditize programmers. It had to be expressive enough for most business applications but restrictive enough so that middling coders couldn’t do much damage. For that it was a complete success.

The JVM is good, Java is mediocre tool for mediocre programmers.

Honestly, for most corporate programming, I can't advise using anything that doesn't have GC and runtime type checking.

I love C++ for personal use, but I don't know that it's the sensible choice for most corporate internal use, and that is after all what most of the world's programmers are engaged in doing.

>it just works
This is code for “I don’t really know what I’m doing.”

C++ is just as stupid as Java, just in the opposite way.

Who thought a meme language built on Monty python was a good idea? Especially with tabs and spacing

Nobody has ever used rust in production

I fucking love this image and the only programming language I really know is javascript

Back in the early to mid-00's, Java made a lot of sense. C# was MS Java with less than half the library and GUI frameworks having support dropped every week. C++03 was getting long in the tooth and people were getting real sick of its shortcomings. Then MS got its act together with language development when Google start pushing its shit in. Think what you will of modern C++ but it is a lot better than it was back then.

>don't know that it's the sensible choice for most corporate internal use
A lot of big iron companies are married to large C++ code bases that they build because they bought the "*nix is magically better than wangblows" meme.

Had to learn this shit language in one of my Data structures and Algorithms courses. What a stupid fucking language, seriously. The only reason it exists is because the code can be executed on any platform... Except you have to compile a JVM for each architecture... How the flying fuck does that benefit anyone? Rather just gcc - c some C without the overhead of this autistic nigger language.

>writing sorting algorithms in reference based languages
This doesn't sound very fun.

When the only alternatives include C and C++, Java would seem like a godsend.

I don't know why you'd take a data structures course in any language without strong value and reference semantics.

Not even remotely accurate

>Except you have to compile a JVM for each architecture...
that's interesting considering that Oracle JVM isn't even open source...
>How the flying fuck does that benefit anyone?
because you don't have to compile for each architecture and the code isn't system dependent when e.g. OS interaction is needed, because it's abstracted away by the JVM

Java is a mediocre tool in the hands of mediocre programmers.

It might as well be a magic wand in the hands of competent programmers.

it's code for "I don't care about low-level autism if my problem is high-level"

>How the flying fuck does that benefit anyone?
A single piece of software (a JVM) needs to be available in order to run arbitrary Java programs, as opposed to porting every Java program individually. There's also the fact that Java and JVMs are already available on all major platforms and operating systems, so the problem you're imagining is theoretical and not practical in most real scenarios.

Why do bytecode languages exist? Might as well compile from the source code - the source can be pretty much perfectly reconstructed from bytecode, that's why obfuscators were created. Portability would be higher with negligible difference in startup time.

Java has aged worse than C. There's no way someone can make Java enjoyable to write since they would have to end the backwards compatibility shit back to the 90s. That's why it's easier to create a new JVM language than fixing it.

>Rust's compilation times are actually pretty good.
When comparing Rust hello world to C++' compile-time game of life, maybe.