I just got this in the mail , does Sup Forums have a ups ?

I just got this in the mail , does Sup Forums have a ups ?
Is this one shit ?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00ANU8M3Y/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>simulated sine wave output

Go ahead and return it because you shouldn't use it with any PSU built in the past decade, at least. Simulated sine wave output and the PFC protection built into modern ATX PSUs don't play well together. You want smooth sine wave output. Sometimes a UPS will outright say it's compatible with PFC by putting it in the name or on the features list.

really ? that's very disappointing . Well I guess I deserve it for impulse buying.

but wouldn't it be better than nothing during a power outage ? The website lists consoles and desktop computers as typical uses for it

A lesson learned for next time. It's fine for some electronics but I think there was some regulation requiring more power supplies to have PFC, so I would just return it and get one that's PFC compatible.

If you feel like opening it up and trying it then go ahead, but google will show most people advise against it. There's a good chance it simply won't work on the UPS's battery power mode when the power goes out, so you'd be paying for false protection.

thanks OP.
i did the exact same thing.
walking around Wal-Mart one day and saw a cheap $80 one marked down to $30.

I don't think i ever checked to see if i needed to hook it up to the computer via the USB port.
...I'll do it tomorrow.

Connect it up, turn on your PC, put it under load and then unplug the UPS from the wall to simulate a power outage.

If the PC stays running fine, you're okay. If it restarts or turns off or even if the just the monitor flicks off and on, return it.

my psu doesn't have PFC listed on the website, but It's not that old and pretty high end. at least i think it's supposed to be

good luck

Is this safe ?

>Is this safe ?
Yes. You HAVE to simulate an outage. You can't just put the thing there and assume it is going to protect you.

As an extra, a lot of cheap UPS don't actually fail over to battery fast enough. Even with a low load the computer can still be shunted into a restart. You certainly don't want this if you are working on something when you get a power fault.

thanks friend i will try this

ctrl + s every 10 seconds

you wasted your money kiddo

>power goes out while it's saving
Sorry bro your data is now gone

Save less often.

that sounds like hyperbole

>his ups weighs less than 120lbs
Tsk tsk
amazon.com/dp/B00ANU8M3Y/

I have two. I basically use them to keep my game systems, internet, laptops, and TV from shutting off in the event of a power failure. I haven't stress tested them, to see how long they last, but I typically only need a few seconds to shut my systems off properly, even if I can't get to a save point in time in the games.

Is this an online, offline, or "line interactive" UPS? If you can afford it you want an online UPS, where the power is always fed through it and you get a perfect output wave and voltage.

My UPS has caused my computer to shut down 6 times and I have had zero power outages in 15 years.
UPS also blew up the PSU of my computer at work.
Useless fucking shits.

Depends if where you live has frequent power outages, otherwise its probably a waste of money.
The only time my power has ever gone out (that I remember anyway) is when I stuck a knife in a toaster.

It's practically impossible to find them where I'm from and if I do find one, it's going to cost well over $100. I aint gonna spend that much money for them

Not OP, but what do you guys who know about this stuff recommend? Does your VA need to be equivalent to the Wattage of your PSU? Or is less fine?