Ebook readers

Which ebook readers do you use? I'm thinking about getting the Pocketbook Touch Lux 3, it seems decent.
Anyone has it? How is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Sony-DPT-RP1-B-Digital-Paper/dp/B072DXXXN1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519486169&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sony dpt-rp1&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are books now deprecated?

get kindle what are you amdpoor?

Depending on where you live, and your tolerance for extra weight and baggage, physical books tend to work out much cheaper than eBooks (unless you're reading pirated and/or public domain works).

I would mainly use it for scool materials, which aren't available as physical books and printing them myself wouldn't be very practical or cheap

>option a
>want to buy your books
>get a kindle

>option b
>want to download your bookz from your computer then copy them to your ereader
>get a kobo

/thread

Only Kobo Aura Edition 2 is sold where I live.
When I compare it to the Pocketbook one it seems like the Pocketbook is a better deal.
They both have the same screen, while the Pocketbook has more storage, supposedly better pdf reader and is cheaper.
I've also read that the Kobo requires online registration.

But technical specs are not always everything, which is why I'm asking if anyone has any problems with it

kobo aura one + koreader

Can't you just pirate on the Kindle as well?

You can, it's what I do

it could break

It's more annoying.
Do cheaper kindles still show ads on the screen?

Regardless, always kobo because of their awesome adaptive frontlight (newer models). I think kindle's stuck with that harsh blue/white that's not so comfy at night unlike kobo's candle setting.

Buy whatever's cheapest if you can't decide.

I won a Kindle basic as a prize in a programming contest that Amazon held at my university. It's pretty good, but the fact that it doesn't have any lights whatsoever is annoying as fuck. Also, do u or other anons know how do I get rid of shitty ads on my screensaver?

throw it into le trash

You can talk with someone on Amazon, say that you are disappointed because the ads, etc. They will get ride of them with using their backdoor. Or you can root it ifyou find a root for your model.

How come ebooks have barely progressed in the last 5-10 years yet still retain their ridiculous prices?

200$ for a device that has a slow refresh rate, almost useless outside of reading books and most have sketchy PDF support.

Just comparing it to the the way smartphones have gone crazy in the last 10-15 years makes it even more obvious how stale the ebook market is.

So is it the low interest in them? Not that many people reading books? Or just no one cares that they're using a shitty product that is barely better than an actual book?

eInk patents

>eInk patents
But isn't it the same case for pretty much every tech? Phone screens, cpus, cameras, etc. Yet still they get developed.

No, you can still buy books from book stores.

People with money don't care about gloating about it.

You can pirate with a kindle. Its not hard and you can download their entire library. Also kobo sucks.

Correct, out of the two, the Pocketbook is more of a winner.

Yes.

That is false. I have 5 kindles, some with pirated libraries, and they have never broke.

Ads are easy to get rid of. You don't even have to root it to get rid of them.

Use a linux distro, edit the file with the advertisements, and add '#' in front of the lines of code that makes it display them. Its literally all they do when you ask them to do it for you.

Tell me how much progression text can make. Also pdf support is great on most HD ebook readers, and if you really want a better pdf reader you can root one and install 1 of the many chinese knock offs, or develop one yourself.

Text itself? Not much. But text presentation? Quite a lot.

Higher PPI displays, better refresh and draw speed, more font options, more background shade color options, support custom reader apps, etc. Maybe even go full color eink. Which has been hinted at for years but no one has managed to launch a successful color ereader.

They're pretty awful for reading textbooks/pdfs on. Unless you're a english major where most of your reading isn't technical I wouldn't recommend it at all. If you just want to read textbooks a cheap tablet or a 2 in 1 PC (surface pro) would probably be best.

Literally all of those things exist on many ebook readers, such as my favoirte the Sony dpt-rp1:
amazon.com/Sony-DPT-RP1-B-Digital-Paper/dp/B072DXXXN1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519486169&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sony dpt-rp1&psc=1

You posted ignorantly. There are tons of ebook readers with different specs, apps, and options. You can even install pure android on a Nook, making it into an eInk tablet. Learn more.

False. I have gotten through many college classes using an eBook reader. If you know you're going to read a lot of pdfs, get one that has great pdf support, or simply mod your reader.

Greedy publishers made Amazon sign agreements to sell ebooks at certain (inflated) prices.

The device price is still high because the screens come from a single company using patented technology. $200 is way off too, you can often get a new paperwhite for $100 or lightly used ones for $50-75. The cost savings from being able to easly pirate ebooks makes up the device cost in just a couple months if you read newer literature with any sort of regularity..

That's a locked-down overly-expensive piece of shit. Good job proving that you understand fuck all.

>locked down.
Wrong, you can mod it, and add pirated books and even add unsupported file extensions really easily. I take it, you don't own one? Because if you did, you'd know its the best one out there.

>overly expensive
Nigger, 1 of my textbooks cost more than this. With this I can pirate all of my text books for the price of 1. Learn2maff.

>Good job proving that you....
lmao.

>new paperwhite for 100$
Maybe in burgerland. Here it's atleast 150-160$ for a basic paperwhite.

>1 of my textbooks cost more than this
You have textbooks over 700$?

Its not even the most expensive one. There are others that cost way more than that.

That's just sad that you guys don't understand what a ebook is for. I don't care that it doesn't have a high refresh rate as long the text downstairs hurt my eyes and look like a fucking book

I have textbooks that cost $1000+. Its life, but I get by.

This. Most people want everything to be an iPhone for some reason.

lmfao did amazon seriously just give away a kindle with ads as a prize at one of their own events?

Seems fine with me.
>Company host event
>Company gives out prize from their company
>Company's prize advertises products from their store
>winner paid nothing for the prize, but has to read the occasional "check out this book you may like" advert.

Its like downloading a """free""" app off itunes.

Why do people always suggest tablets for pdfs? Yeah, zoom works better, but you might as well get a non-6" e-reader and hold it slightly closer to your dumb face when reading a pdf.

>university teachers
>outputting PDFs
I study translation and the teachers telling us 'Target has to look exactly like source' can't even use styles. Most output .doc files or even .rtf

I've got a Kindle and it's been great so far. Also get a lot of paper books to have a reference.

It depends widely on what you study and how you are actually going to use it. If you just want to read some literary works without diagrams and shit then a Kindle is perfect.
If you have lots of diagrams, drawings, art, whatever the fuck else that isn't cold hard black and white text or want to have an experience similar to a proper physical book where you can take notes on the pages, underline what's important, etc, I'd recommend getting a solid tablet that comes with a stylus and has good hand writing inputs like the Surface line.

Also should be noted that the ads on kindles aren't intrusive at all. They only show up on the lock screen and don't interrupt you at all once you actually turn the device on. It's also pretty entertaining to see some of the garbage that d-list authors try to peddle through kindle ads (pic related)

This.
This x 1000.
The ads on kindle only appear on the fucking lock screen.

BUT HOLY SHIT THAT BOOK. Fat woman were a mistake.

>the bucket list

So she has a list of KFC buckets that she orders everyday or what? Fuck fat people.

Wait, kindle has ads now? I have an old one and I can't imagine getting ads on the fucking device I bought

They sell different models of their kindles. The ones without ads cost more. Its a small margin. Also once you register, the ads normally go away.

There's two models of Kindles. One that's cheaper that has some unintrusive ads on the lockscreen and the bottom of your library, and another that's 20$ more expensive but doesn't have any.
They sell both Paperwhites at a loss, they are pretty much just banking on most people going for the cheapo one and making money off of ad revenue.

It's just an objectively retarded business decision. They held the programming competition with the intent of attracting young developers to work at their company in the future, and not to make a few hundred bucks off of ads on the devices they gave away.

Lots of companies that advertise hold competitions. You're just being a retard.

I have a Tolino.
It's really nice and plays nice with most formats. You can also use many different shops if you want to. The newest version can also filter blue light and is water resistant.
Cons: The software is only average, little bit ugly

Samshit or whoever giving away Lagdroids that have ads is not the same thing, because ad-less Android phones are not a thing, since that's not how the android ecosystem works. Ad-free kindles are clearly a thing however, and they cost exactly $0 more for Amazon to make, so Amazon is like a friend who gives you a $100 present but is a huge douche about it. Sure, you got something worth $100, but now you actually dislike your friend a little bit as a result.

Yes, they did. They also gave me a voucher of 200 pounds which I can only use on Amazon UK (I'm from Romania) and shipping cost is around 50 pounds if you wanna buy stuff from different vendors. Also, the Kindle is resealed.
Their jewry never ceases to amaze me

Well I mean it's kinda gay that something you win as a prize shows you ads

Probably a normie answer but I really like my paperwhite. Idgaf about ads, and I'm not exactly reading anything that I care if Amazon knows about

I read on my phone. I hate ebook readers. I despise that reading software doesn't work like a website, where I can just keep scrolling until the end of the chapter.

Kindle oasis, mostly because I'm a lazy fuck and the value proposition amazon provides is worth it for me.

>inb4 botnet
its books, idgaf, and it has goodreads built in, which is fun for remembering what the fuck i read a year ago at this time
>inb4 not opensource
neither is your vibrator, faggot
>inb4 use this shitty chinese thing
nou

you can copy books to a kindle too, you dumb groid

same reason as graphing calculators
little competition, and the base device is relatively simple so distinguishing features dont stand out nearly as much as in other product categories

>recently get blackberry passport
>great screen/resolution for ebooks
>no apps support turning pages with the keyboard
If I can't make a keyboard shortcut for this, I'm going to be mad.
Nah. Especially when it comes to reference books and textbooks. I far prefer physical in that case.

>staring into a bluelightmachine
defeats the entire purpose you moron

>bluelightmachine
I'm not sure I understand. I have no issue reading books on my phone. There are plenty of lighting and theme options as well.

the white backlight in your phone, no matter how much red theming you put on it, still emits a lot of blue light

I have an H2O v2. It's literally perfect as an ereader, I just regret not using it much since audiobooks and podcasts take up so much of my 'reading' time now (I used to use ereaders much more).

...re: blue light, the 'flux' lighting on the H2O is a fucking revelation. I don't know how I suffered through the blinding blue/white light on previous frontlit ereaders I've had.

So what? People are seriously getting their panties in a bunch way too much over this.

something went on and the floodgates for competition should be relatively open this year

well this is an e-reader thread, and you wandered in talking about your shitty phone

>tfw live in Yurop and the fucking (((japs))) don't sell the dpt anywhere
My only choices are either nigger name brand chinkshit or the other piece of shit that is the remarkable one. Fuck this shit continent and fuck my retarded so-called friends who couldn't be bothered to actually get me one when their fat assess were in burgerland.

It's running Android and some chink already broke into it, people are working on figuring out how based on a modded device someone has. There's literally nothing that comes close to it for now, it's a special purpose device.

I've been thinking about buying a reMarkable, but not sure i want to

It's an absolute piece of shit for that much money, but they don't exactly market it as a dedicated e-reader either so whatever.

I wanted something that is also good for pdfs, so I got the Aura One for its 7.8" screen.

Just want something to read programming books and scientific papers on

>ereader thread
>durr hurr i use a phone guys you're so retarded for not using a phone hurr durr
>a bloo bloo im mad that people explained why they dont use phones

>kobo
>good for pdfs
kek

Sony dpt, like I said. Unless you live in Yurop as well, in which case you're shit out of luck.

Yes but the tablets screen makes eyes hurt. E-ink is best for reading. You can't read for a long time on tablets without your eyes being strained l. You will get tired and sleepy much faster by staring at a tablet versus e-ink type reader.

Get the Kindle Paperwhite. Best price to performance ratio. If you live outside the US, get the one with the ads, and contact Amazon to unlock it for free.

What makes it bad for pdfs, in your opinion?

I have Cybook Muse HD. It's OK.
My dad got cheap pocketbook two years ago, it broke several times. First the charging cable burned twice, then the on/off button stopped working.

I wasn't even the guy reading on his phone. Just saying that people are really overplaying the whole blue light bullshit.

If you live in the US, just don't connect it to the internet and you never have to worry about ads.

And then you lose the entire advantage of the online store and Whispersync.

>advantage of the online store and Whispersync.

Why would I care about either of those fucking things?

Dude, don't compare your remedial STEM English course to what actual English majors do. That's like people thinking that Mathematics is just about Arithmetic. It's not just rude to English majors, it makes you look stupid to anyone who knows better.

Maybe you "got through it", but it was not an optimal choice. You are probably a barely mediocre scholar.

e-readers are good for two scenarios

1. casual reading for the small ones. Ain't nothin wrong with a million trashy paperbacks in a four ounce box.

2. for the big ones, when you are regularly going over documents to make group decisions in meetings and the cost/hassle of distributing those documents via paper is higher than the price of the e-reader.

Does DPT have multi-touch annotation? Hows the DRM on it? Sony has been absolute bastards in that regard. Part of why I was interested in reMarkable is you can rsync/ssh/scp against it

I bought an Amazon Fire 8 for studying because it's super cheap. Can't complain. Loaded some emulators on it and everything.

But it's not a proper ebook reader considering eye strain. E-ink is the only answer for reading ebooks.

>not just downloading whatever you want from IRC

No, more than half of the people who buy books, buy them to show off and not to read.

It's not an Amazon Kindle™, the original and only good E-reader, how can any other company dare to even think about producing another product that will be objectively inferior?

t. defnietily not a shill that's been posting in this thread since the begining

Which reader has the least botnet?

anyone put debian on their kindle or is that a meme?

>t.guy that only reads snippets of blog and other 2liner shit like tweets
retards with no attention span not allowed itt

It really hit home when I started to see all those tarted up editions of penguin paperbacks and other public domain stuff a couple of years ago. They're not nicer to read on, in fact they're less convenient. Purely for showing off. It's not as if they're more durable or will last longer in the end, either: books today are invariably printed on the cheapest, shittiest acid filled paper what will be yellowing and crumbling away before you know it. Bindings are bad too. It's sad that modern books have been relegated to disposable items. Fuck it all and go ebook for modern shit.

I just want a tablet for Manga and pdf and shit and the occasional YouTube and soundcloud session.
Should I just give in to the Fire 8 HD shit or is there better out there. It feels like tablets are a dying meme and I just want to streamline my Manga and books.

kobo since you can set them up without an account and never buying a book if you want. Kobo readers do support almost every ebook format

The Kobo Aura H20's touchscreen reacts to my bedsheets.

It's quite annoying.

>Higher PPI displays
Granted, although we are at 300ppi and everything above will be diminishing returns, especially on e-ink displays.

>better refresh and draw speed
Agreed

>more font options
I don't know about Kindle, but on Kobo devices you can simply install almost any ttf or otf font by dragging them into the fonts folder in the root directory. Some fonts are incompatible and don't show up, but so far about 95% of what I have tried out simply works.

>more background shade color options
Would be nice I guess, but I want to use my reader without backlight on, so I guess that would not necessarily be possible

>support custom reader apps, etc.
Kobo does (not officially) - you can easily install KOReader. Although I admit that I dislike KOReader and find Kobo's software better.

>Maybe even go full color eink. Which has been hinted at for years but no one has managed to launch a successful color ereader.
This absolutely has to happen, I agree. The one thing that print has over e-ink is color.

Just updated it and it seems a bit faster now.

Can no longer find the browser though.

>browser
why

For shitposting at 0.5 hz.

How come no one makes readers with transflective lcd displays? The same technology that was used in the pebble smartwatches?
It looked a lot like eink and could display color too. Was it just too expensive to make?

>all of these amazon shills
Damn son, at least try not being so fucking obvious

i use a Kindle pw3, you can easily download books to your pc and put them on your reader.

Refreshes are way faster now and resolution is way better now. You're not supposed to fucking watch video on them. They're perfect for what they're intended for.