/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Loving this edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/pZjGXP)
amazon.co.uk/AOC-Response-Speakers-Compatible-G2770PF/dp/B013YIR5WU/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1519488464&sr=
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WNH3Cb
scan.co.uk/products/520w-seasonic-m1211-520-evo-full-modular-80-plus-bronze-atx-psu
pcpartpicker.com/list/8mZQ7W
amazon.co.uk/AOC-Monitor-Display-Speakers-AG271QG/dp/B01GTODWPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519491616&sr=8-1&keywords=AOC 27" AGON AG271QG&dpID=511UK%2BEbLqL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch?
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hello there!

Starter 2400G build incoming and trying to decide on which motherboard to use for a bit of light overclocking to maximise CPU/GPU gains in an air cooled system. Could you help with:

1) Which best Bang for Buck 350 series (or cheaper 370 series) MATX motherboard?

2) Is it worth waiting for 4XX series motherboards launched with Ryzen 2? Will there be any amazing updates?

Love,

Mr. A. Brainlet

Which one is better for a workstation, X99/X299's full x16 with PLX trickery, or X399's x16/x8/x16/x8?

using a freesync monitor?

>2) Is it worth waiting for 4XX series motherboards launched with Ryzen 2? Will there be any amazing updates?

Nobody knows but unlikely for the chibi raven ridge use case as the cpu itself is so gimped compared to the full fat ryzen parts. That is to say, you don't need to careif ryzen 2 mobos have a bajillion sata ports or something because the 2400G doesn't have enough pcie lanes for it to matter.

Kikeripper all day every day.

Is VRAM an issue at 1080p?

Does getting a 4gb or 3gb card really matter at the budget pricepoints?

>Is VRAM an issue at 1080p?

I dunno, how long is a piece of string?

>Does getting a 4gb or 3gb card really matter at the budget pricepoints?

Not particularly if it is only vidya you are interested in.

no
if you post this then something awesome for AMD must've happened

>the 2400G doesn't have enough pcie lanes for it to matter.
thats an interesting point, the 2400g has 16 pcie lanes right? 8 of which i think are dedicated to graphics. I'm curious as to whether the 2400g will shit the bed if you hog up all the lanes.

If you can't run x8/x8 (I forget how the pcie lanes are setup on raven ridge - it might be hardlocked to x8 for graphics and x8 for other connectors) then it doesn't matter. Remember pcie land bandwidth is always enough right until the point its not and frankly outside of the top end gpus and lightning fast nvme drives x8 is plenty for basically every use case you'd want raven ridge for. If pcie lanes are a vitally important aspect for you then you'd be buying threadripper.

lolwhat ?
2400G is just chip "that werks"
you will use it either for light gameing (no GPU needed) and as workstation
why would you even care about external GPU ?
especially when prices are sky high

If you paid more than 250€ for your graphics card and it isn't a Titan or atleast a 1080ti, you're a fag lmao! If you spent more than 500€ on your graphics card and you aren't running an enterprise that requires Teslas/Firepros, you should consider hanging yourself.

>2400G is just chip "that werks"

>Titan

I bought the titan killer instead.

>we pretend it's 2010 again

Not planning to yet - this is going to be a basic build that I can upgrade overtime - get a better GPU next year and then a decent CPU the following year. Just using an old monitor for now. :)

Any recommended CPU (AMD) for a video encoding rig?What's the minimum I should ain for/what would be the best? Open budget for now.
It would be to convert BluRby to h265/vp9/av1.

Go big or go home. 1950X

Thanks. I’m more interested in the future proofing aspect. I’d like to upgrade to maybe a R5 ‘3600’ (in a couple of years time) so would like a motherboard wont be gimped AF by then (even tho the APU night currently be). I just thought I’d start with a little build that I could upgrade over time - but I don’t want to under/overspend on the mobo if the the 4XX/5XX have any ‘must have’ enhancements coming :)

if you have the money to burn get the 1950X

otherwise any R7 will chew threw video encoding just fine

1700 or wait for the new 2700.

I haven't upgraded my system in quite some time so I am currently running:
>I5 4690K
>16 gigs of DDR3 1600
>GTX 770 4gb
>ASUS Hero 7 Z97
>WD Black HDD
>Seasonic X650 Gold

I guess I managed to get lucky because the Z97 chipset has support for NVMe drives and the Hero 7 has a port built onto it, so yesterday I bought a 960 EVO 500 gig and a new 4tb HDD to start my upgrade path - but I still need some advice on the rest. I don't really use the machine for super intense gaming as I mostly play Mount and Blade and Supreme Commander, but I'd like to bring it back to contemporary specs over the next 12 months or so. Fortunately, the PSU, case, fans, and cooling don't need to be changed at all.

I'm thinking of doing the CPU and Mobo next, and then wait for the next series of graphics cards. I'm in USD, but my budget for the whole upgrade won't really be more than $1000 to $1500. Currently I use a Dell U2717D.

OC your cpu if you haven't already. IMO your build is still very solid and if you don't play intense games then there's nothing to upgrade.

This kid has a better rig than you.

the kid that made this is better at photoshop than you

Not for long.

If you don't plan on playing anything intensive for the moment, do wait for nvidia 2000-series to launch, then grab a gtx 2070.

Miners have inflated the gpu market and at this point its not worth it to pay a premium for two yeard old hardware when there should be new releases coming soon.

Personally I'd also wait for ice lake if I had your specs and uses. You were right about the drive upgrades though.

Joke's on you I haven't had a rig for three years now :^)

R7 have better value than threadripper when it comes to multithreaded workloads, so I'd wait for the 2700 since it will most likely be value king again and kill off the 1700.

But if you are on a budget, get the R5 1600 on sale and overclock the fuck out of it. I think it was more suitable as a cost effective workstation chip than a gaming chip but whatever.

>/pcbg/ recommends APU shit to people trying to build something.

I've built this pc today (pcpartpicker.com/list/pZjGXP) but it isn't working... Whenever I try to power it up, the leds work, the cpu cooler and the fans work fine but I've got no output... Tried HDMI into gpu, HDMI into mobo, VGA into mobo, hdmi/VGA into mobo without gpu inserted... Nothing works... What can I do?

better than spending 2-4 x MSRP since the other GPUs that are close to MSRP arent even that much better than the new 2400G

How'd I do?

your CPU doesnt have iGPU so plugging into the mobo video is fucking retarded.

take out everything but the CPU and then hook ONE ram stick and the GPU back up with monitor and keyboard (no storage)

>Can't even fucking run PUBG at 20 fps in low.

Yeah, you guys are all poorfags.

I'm extremely stupid and want to buy a gaming PC for the first time, I'm willing to spend £400, can someone tell me the exact parts I need to get the best stuff with that money without it blowing up and without insulting me?

>pubg
fuck off FOTM normie

old xeon and 1156 motherboard with a 1050ti since that budget wont even get you a new ryzen APU system

is a Gigabyte GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD REV2.0 at 580€ a good price? Given it's still inflated by crypto, ofc. Will waiting couple of months change the situation for the better?

GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING GAYMING

Why the fuck would I buy something other than a dell prebuilt from walmart if it wasn't for gaming?

>high end pcs are only for gayming

>best value drive sizes

you did good

Just use APU dude

Yeah I've got it at about 4.2 GHz and it has served me well since launch.
Sounds good.

Thanks lads.

>ywn be autistic enough to play two instances of minecraft at once

10 yo. nephew wants a gaming PC. I really don't know if I should spoil him.

He worked last two summers and only made 500 (3rd world country). Should I spoil him and drop 1k and give him something good? Or should I just buy him what he got for his money?

buy him a PS4

Moving the goal post THIS fucking hard.

god you guys are a joke. I'm just gonna go ahead and ask reddit or some place else. This is some poorfag ridden general.

you should stop being fucking retarded and go somewhere in between

and dont come back, faggot

what are the odds of a GTX 1050 Ti low profile and i5 2500k working in this crapbox?
it has 240W power supply, and the low profile supposedly needs more than that but according to some dope it consumes 162W on average playing Metro: Last Light
on userbenchmark.com both parts are listed under the compatible builds, too
I'm just a brainlet and want to be sure it'll work

saw you in the other thread, hello fellow dumbass

10 yo already working? Give that child a raise

Is there a better choice for a 27" 1080p 144hz monitor? I'm hoping to find one generally higher quality, smaller edges etc.

amazon.co.uk/AOC-Response-Speakers-Compatible-G2770PF/dp/B013YIR5WU/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1519488464&sr=

>27"
>1080p
disgusting

Where can I buy the v1000 SoCs?

Okay cool but do you have any constructive feedback?

Sorry bad wording. I meant to drop another 500 and build him a 1k PC + an 1060 I had lying around.

Yeah, I know it hasn't an iGPU but I was in panic and tried it out that too...
I'll try as soon as I can, thanks :3

not him but 1080p on 27" you gonna be couch-gaming to not see the pixels

The dpi is closing in to shit levels.

Not as bad as the old 22", 768p monitors, but given that the distance you keep it from your eyes is the same as a 24", things are starting to go to shit.

But I'd go with that model if I was getting one with those specs. Same basic performance as the ones that might cost $100 more, and quality level isn't really something to be concerned with if you are getting a 1080p 144hz tn monitor. You buy those for the performance not the image quality.

Is going full SSD instead of HDD worth it?

I'd go with this, try to get the mobo at a PC shop or a microcenter so they can update the BIOS for you
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WNH3Cb
scan.co.uk/products/520w-seasonic-m1211-520-evo-full-modular-80-plus-bronze-atx-psu

can somebody tell me what I want to hear

pcpartpicker.com/list/8mZQ7W

Listen to , but you need a power supply in addition to this. Just contact your retailer and ask about a decent one.

Should I upgrade to a i5 8400 and will it bottleneck my GTX 970?

Oh dog im such a blind shit, he linked you a pretty good power supply. Disregard what i said about power supplies.

If you want higher FPS in games you're far better off upgrading the GPU ALMOST REGARDLESS of which CPU you have.

I’m in tech school and will be hopping around bases for the next 9 months, so I need a good laptop that I can at max, play some light flight sim, but mostly csgo, mobas, mmos, etc.
I’m trying to keep it under the $900 mark, thanks.

What monitor should I pick for viewing videos and gaming?
I'll keep my old rig for now and build a new one probably next year but my screen is becoming antique now.
Is there any meme choice for 1440p 144Hz?

just link a few gaming laptops that you find appealing and we'll point at which one to get

>Is there any meme choice for 1440p 144Hz?

Well you are in luck user, there actually is.

AOC 27" AGON AG271QG

Good luck finding it in stock in Europe though.

>144hz
>IPS

Truly meme tier.

Christ, the C5A is a big damn bird.

Is this build aight? I was gonna put in an RX 580, but then the miners destroyed it, then I was gonna put in an RX 570 but then the miners destroyed it, so then I was going to put in a GTX 1060 and then the miners destroyed it, which leaves with just the 1050 TI.

You meqn amazon.co.uk/AOC-Monitor-Display-Speakers-AG271QG/dp/B01GTODWPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519491616&sr=8-1&keywords=AOC 27" AGON AG271QG&dpID=511UK%2BEbLqL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch?
Seems easy enough to find.

How so? Tech illiterate here, I just want nice pictures.

I'd rather just get a 144Hz 1ms TN(VA can do 1ms?) panel as my gaymur one and a 4K IPS one for my video viewing.

1440p for gaymur too

>I just want nice pictures.
Then drop 144hz. High refresh rates and IPS panel is 35 year old gamer with kids tier and sucks ass. You want TN with high refresh rates.

This

Moral of the story, choose one or another. If you need both performance and image quality get 2 separate monitors dedicated for each job. Unless you really don't give a shit and love to half ass shit.

He could get a 620 EVO but I think that's £16 overbudget

I've been using a 27 inch for years, going smaller I imagine would feel incredibly constricting.

After all the bullying you guys did to me yesterday this is what I came out with.

>165hz
Tasty meme.

>This guy again

>RGB memory
>Back to the shitty AIO cooler

Case is good though, PSU makes more sense now. If you just fucking dropped that AIO and got a good air cooler or made a custom loop i wouldn't be too embarrassed to own this system. And please dude, get some other RAM, you're paying a retarded premium for RGB.

that wasnt the point you dumbass, it's about pixel density

Swap that A320 board for a B350 Tomahawk or a PC Mate and you're golden

What are some really good looking coolers then? Also I already bought the ram sticks so there is nothing to change there.

Also what does AIO mean?

Do you really care more about your cooling looking good than reliably doing it's job for years?

>hurrdurr dumbass
Point is retard that I've been using a 27" for years so I am perfectly used to it. Can't miss something you've never seen, faggot, but I would miss the size screen size downgrading to a small monitor.

I had a 165hz 1440p 27 inch TN panel with gsync and i went back to my 24 inch 144hz without freesync or gsync.

Isn't there something that cover both the aesthetic aspect as well as the functionality?

Please don't bully me into buying a shitty noctua.

Is Noctua shitty because it doesn't have the color scheme of your choice? Does it's performance not matter to you at all? lol

Why do people pretend like they can see the difference of pixel spacing between 24 and 27? Its the most annoying meme.

Dude you can have the best fucking cooler for 1 dollar.

But those color man... they just kill it for me.

The Focus Gold Plus 650 is cheaper, I would drop the AIO, go for a faster nonRGB kit and at that price I prefer the Enthoo Pro M

Are you talking about 1080p 24 vs 27 or 1440p vs 1080p on said sizes?

>Please don't bully me into buying a shitty noctua
>I like gamer hardware, my rig has to stand out on /r/pcmasterrace!
You should unironically kill yourself.

And what is this great 1 dollar cooler?