/prod/ - Production General

New thread because the old one is overrun by SoundCloud people

>Resources (feel free to contribute)
pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

>Wiki (again, feel free to contribute)
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/

Discussion, criticism, etc. Help each other out, we're trying to make it some how.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ei5bq2qs
clyp.it/rgbzc554
clyp.it/14gmvy1l
clyp.it/eezg3mq1
clyp.it/meksbtyd
dave40.co.uk/1/VwSlAr.php?id=11
notam02.no/web/2005/10/mammut-2/?lang=en
youtu.be/GMhtz17F2KQ
clyp.it/m5y3xep0
youtube.com/watch?v=KHA7IvZ448Q
youtube.com/watch?v=6qeDr8KtWZU
youtube.com/watch?v=XKir3UEZN38
youtube.com/watch?v=wW2Lp6MSKIM
clyp.it/bgewfbpg
clyp.it/bi0zh51h
clyp.it/w2gis5og
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Old thread:

Keep adding inane posts to the other thread to kit the bump limit on it.

What do you guys think about using presets and samples?

Samples depend on the way you use them. You should never use completely stock presets in my opinion, people who know the plugin/synth/effect will notice. I usually start off with a preset and costomize it over time (sometimes just by EQing or adding effects).

in harmor, you can select 'noise' as a resonance shape
now, i have to say I have no idea what it actually does, but it sounds really interesting and has some randomness to it.

how would this shape look if you tried creating it as a custom shape?

if you crank the resonance amount all the way up, the sound becomes much more quiet, while the 'notes' created by the resonance get louder and more spread out.
Is there any way to have them quieter without using ridiculous amounts of limiting compression?

Anyone got any decent chiptune packs?

clyp.it/ei5bq2qs

clyp.it/rgbzc554

I'm stuck on what to do next after the drop. Any thoughts?

Depends on what sample and presets, normally you have to change them to fit the song you're producing.

Peach vsts

Why would anyone care as long as the song is enjoyable

It's no fun mode>on

clyp.it/14gmvy1l
does anyone know a gangster quote from a movie i can put over this
preferably mafia type but i'll try out anything

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse"

"I'm the one who knocks"

desu, you should do some old school kung fu quote. Off the top of my head, all I could think of was IP Man (see the clyp below)
clyp.it/eezg3mq1
>stand aside, just watch how I beat these yokels

that scene from spongebob where he argues with patrick about which one is dirty dan

>bump it up

I've started out making stuff on FL Studio but I can never settle on a genre. Been thinking of trying to make Grime instrumentals but what I can do is very limited.

What are some synths (soft and hard) that have some futirstic palettes or capabilities?
>inb4 Reaktor

hardware reverb or vsts?

ebay

wat

look on ebay you can find cheap hardware reverbs from the 90s and shit

both, obviously.
spring reverb
convolution reverb

I was in your position.
Screw genre. Just go with the flow, express yourself. You'll find your own sound. If you try to copy a genre, you'll make nothing but lifelessness.

Think this is about finished.
thoughts?
clyp.it/meksbtyd

what is this supposed to be
no offense

i get what this user is saying
like, I can't tell weather these are your recordings or samples you pulled off some existing recording.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it kind of sounds like you took an existing track and mixed it.

nothing, really.
why you ask?

nope, it's honestly meticulously put together of hundreds of different samples. it's really hard work. II used about parts of about 20 songs, most of them heavily processed.

I can understand why you're critical of using samples, but I can assure you I sampled creatively. If something works really well, I use it though.

Okay, my post wasn't meant to judge any kind of creative process by the way, it's just legit hard to tell how you made it.
Which really translates to a compliment.
I like the drums, I've been trying to make a similar ride driven drum pattern since a few days and it's kind of hard to do with just a bunch of oneshot ride samples.

>clyp.it/meksbtyd

i fucking DIG it my dude

Hey /prod/.
How do I get into sound design?

wow, i didnt expect that. thanks a lot man, it's kinda nice not to be judged for using samples lol. I'm honestly skeptical myself of samping, and try my best to always modify things until it becomes something different and of my own, but I won't let it stand in the way of good music. Luckily most of my sources don't work unless I really mess them up. But it's an interesting discussion, I feel a bit guilty sometimes. But then I think of the amount of effort it takes to put it together my tracks, and it feels alright, because I really give them my everything. thanks again.

On the drums;

What really is key for jazzy ride patterns is swing and dynamics/texture.

That's why I often use Addictive Drums or a couple of kontakt jazz drum libraries. They change the sound of the ride when you adjust your velocities, for instance you can make all your hits on the offbeat a bit softer than on the main beats.

For a typical swing pattern you'll need to put the off beats a bit late.

if you have 8th notes in a 4/4 pattern you delay every second hit for a while. In theory every first beat become a dotted 8th (1.5 as long).

If you can find a good loop there's nothing wrong with using that imo, though, but it's a bit less versatile. This guy has an amazing library of samples: dave40.co.uk/1/VwSlAr.php?id=11

You can play around with this amazing free FFT software: notam02.no/web/2005/10/mammut-2/?lang=en

Has surprising results.

youtu.be/GMhtz17F2KQ

Are the drums that start around 1:45 a drum break ? If not how would i go about making these types of drum beats with the snares
thanks in advance

thanks a lot for the input
I think the time has finally come to try out addictive drums
As long as you're not prioritizing a natural sound on your drums, you don't really need the best drum samples, because you'll just tweak them until they sound right.

only recently did I start trying to produce some organic beats and I think software like addictive really comes in handy here.

as for loops, I just can't do it.
I have no issue with people using loops (especially ones they sampled themselves) but every time I add a loop, I findmyself trying to replace it with one shots a few minutes later. might be a curse, might be a blessing
who knows

Nice, thanks user.

clyp.it/m5y3xep0

oh god what am I even doing

whats a good synth VST to get a 80s or chillwave sound? trying to do some trip hop mixed with shoegaze and chillwave

Probably LuSH-101

>As long as you're not prioritizing a natural sound on your drums, you don't really need the best drum samples, because you'll just tweak them until they sound right.

amen to that. anything's possible.

I see your point with using loops, it's just a lot of fun programming, you have completely control, and the sense of accomplishment thereafter.

But there's something special about the energy already apparent in recordings and what happens when you juxtapose it with different energies and modify it.

just listen to all the variations on the amen break, it's insane what you can do with a good loop.

>notam02.no/web/2005/10/mammut-2/?lang=en
how can i get cool sounds out of this
every time i change something its garbage

is it weird to average 1 song a week? song weeks i wont anke abythibg and others i might make 3. how often do you guys make songs? also if i have 10 songs that total to 37 minutes is that too short to be an album?

about two per month
I'm slow as fuck
I don't have huge amounts of time for producing though.

hey guys looking for a cracked massey L2007 or slate digital fgx for OSX anyone got a copy? thanks

toss feedback on this please

>clyp.it/meksbtyd
shoot me dot com

hey guys im getting into producing using mostly using hardware and i have a monotribe and volca keys so far.

should i got a volca rhythm or should i get a mixer and speakers also is a ms20 a good buy

looking to make mostly hardware synthwave

I think samples are fine to use most of the time unless they are distinct lyrics or vocals from another (not your own) song. As for presets, i think they are a good starting point for a sound (i.e. making tweaks) but should rarely be used as stock unless it is sarcastic (example: Fuck Nexus by Savant) or absolutely perfectly fits the song/sound you are trying to convey. Bu5 when it comes down to it, music is an art form and who are we to critisize an artist for not makeing their own paint.

who are you replying to?

You could always use split EQ bands
Or an FM channel
However i am not sure how effective those would be in dealing with noise

>music is an art form and who are we to critisize an artist for not makeing their own paint.
damn...

Its your song so do with this what you want
I would
> stick in a wobble bass at 1/8 speed
>apply a minor phaser
>add some sidechain
>an fm envelope

Thats just off the top of my head so there are probably necessary EQs and compression that has to be done but thats just for mastering anyway

Sounds great to me
I enjoyed the jazz flute

I downloaded Spectrasonics Omnisphere but when i go to crack it by opening it up in fl studio and pasting the code to generate the registration code the shit just crashes. In the notes that came with the torrent the guy was saying that this happens a lot and that its not a torrent issue and it happens with a legitimate copy as well but he gives no solution. How in the F u C k do i solve this. Im so close.

There's an issue with UAC and file/folder permissions in the Spectrasonics directory (found in C:\ProgramData) that can cause authorization errors in some cases - it was originally confined to non-English language versions of Windows but it might be a clue for you to start looking at.

If the licence file is in that Spectrasonics directory and the auth program doesn't have the necessary privileges to write to it you might see an issue like this - try running FL Studio as Administrator which should also launch the auth program with the same privileges - that might be enough but you might also have to use a combination of taking ownership of the directory and allowing full access permissions - it's something to try.

I'm trying to hook up an external fx unit to my alesis multimix

the fx units has 2 1/4" inputs and 2 1/4" outputs jacks per Return

the multimix has 2 1/4" returns and ONE 1/4" send

is the send a stereo signal that has to be split in to to go into my FX 2 1/4" jacks? why is there only one "Send" jack?

I don't like to use presets or samples, because it's not as satisfying as writing all the notes yourself, and getting the timbres and textures all on your own. even if it could have sounded better if i used a sample or a preset, I don't.

youtube.com/watch?v=KHA7IvZ448Q
youtube.com/watch?v=6qeDr8KtWZU
youtube.com/watch?v=XKir3UEZN38
youtube.com/watch?v=wW2Lp6MSKIM

new to Sup Forums. tear me to pieces.
clyp.it/bgewfbpg

bump

The send is mono - one of your fx unit's inputs (usually the left one) might default to mono too, or you might have to configure your fx unit to split a mono signal coming in via a single input to both left and right sides of your processor chain.

Traditionally most sends on hardware mixers have been mono (even with stereo tracks) with fx units doing stereo widening with chorus and other modulation effects on the outputs using phase difference, and allowing panning with delay lines. It's also common to see fx units with stereo inputs though and these became more common as synths began to have stereo outputs and as more guitarists used stereo rigs too.

>even with stereo tracks

Clarification - "even on stereo channels" makes more sense here I guess.

is this the new soundcloud thread guys? Getting my links hold on.

Tear me a new one please.
clyp.it/bi0zh51h

Mixer and speakers if you're doing hardware for sure. You'll want to do sequencer jams and those are best done with a mixer with tons of channels.

MS20 is a VERY good buy. You can get lost in that synth, which is good.

As for the Volca Beats (I'm assuming that's what you mean by rhythm), I would look into the Electribe range (not just the new ones). Lots more possibilities than a Beats.

Also, if you want a baller synth voice, give your Monotribe MIDI and individual outs for the synth and drums. Google some kit options, Daren Ager's offerings are top notch.

freaky

Change the grid size in your sequencer to 32, get (or sample) a very hard-sounding acoustic snare, and go wild.

I'm trying to make something that manifests panic and anxiety. I guess it's not really music per-se, more of an expression of a feeling or place. I dunno

clyp.it/w2gis5og

>tfw "DAWs" still don't have proper microtonal support

Wouldn't sound out of place on a post-Confield Autechre album. Not feeling too anxious though.

thank you!!

Hey, I love Autechre, so I'll take that

I want to get some studio monitors for mixing and for listening to music. Can I get quality monitors for ~200?

No worries, glad to help. I can also add that if - like myself - you have the 16-channel variant of the multimix you'll have the "Alt 3/4" output button on each channel strip that also gets used quite often as a mute button when not using the alt 3/4 outputs.

These outputs (being dual-mono when routed to from mono channels, and stereo from stereo channels) are handy for feeding to processors that have stereo inputs if you have the need to do that - since the buttons give you no control over send levels though you'll need to adjust wet/dry within the fx unit itself.

The beginning (starting at 0:37) is fairly dissonant. The high plucks at 0:50 are also somewhat misleading to first listen. Otherwise it sounds like a little jam.

>The beginning (starting at 0:37) is fairly dissonant.
Yikes you're right, that's what I was afraid of. It sounded much more so when I originally wrote the part.

>The high plucks at 0:50 are also somewhat misleading to first listen.

How so?

I can't vouch for the KRK Rokit 5 pair but it seems like that's everyone's cheap go-to.

Specifically at 0:54, the plucks don't follow the progression of the main chord. If I knew more about music theory I could give you alternate suggestions or a better explanation but it just sounds "wrong". Sorry to be blatant, hopefully it helps.

Look up the Scala (not the programming language) App. I was able to get it working with ableton pretty easily.