Google Photos

Why do they give you unlimited storage space? What's the catch?

Botnet is the catch

They need to train their AI

Unlimited storage space at the cost of compressed reduced images with worse quality.

upload all your files
googleAI examines them
knows where you live, all your habits, all the people you interact with
compresses the images and you lose originals
>it's for ad revenue goy!

I use it to make backups of youtube videos that might get deleted. There's an entire hdd dedicated entirely to me somewhere in their server warehouses.

If you have edu email, they gave you unlimited gdrive too.

t-they don't

you get 15gb free

you gotta pay monthly for more

I like it that they compress images/videos. Smartphone videos take up ridiculous amount of space. 1 hour of video is like 7 gigs.

you realize all HQ videos will take up a ton of room right?

Yes but smartphones record at an overkill mode of like 10000 bits per second

They don't give you any storage space. They take all your photos and allow you to look at them.

Your photos are sent to NSA

It's unlimited if you let it compress your photos. 15 GB for full file size.

You realize that I don't have unlimited storage right?

Google's compression algorithms are so good that it's almost impossible to notice if you take pics in 12MP and videos in 1080p. Anything beyond that will obviously be compressed to 12MP and full hd.

Let's be honest, most people will be fine with these limitations.

You’re the product.

you know you can change the settings on your phone to record low quality if that's what you're going to end up with uploading right?

but they will keep different copies, i.e. they always keep the original files of everything uploaded, including YouTube videos
you can edit and crop your photos in Google Photos, after that you can download the changed and the original version, so they store the same picture 3 times

>upload zips
>watch them get deleted cause they can't scan them or compress them

Google makes money with selling user data. It's their job, their existence.

That's why google services are gratis.

Why would there need to be a catch?
They just want you to keep using Google. And enjoy some nice ads.

Their services are not really gratis desu. I pay them every day for ads. And lots of businesses pay for storage space and their office products.

>10000 bit/s
>1.2 kb/s
>this is overkill
Leave this place and never come back, you don't belong here

and it automatically creates collages and edits and videos, scans for faces and assignes them to profiles. When you keep the many steps in between and thumbnails in mind, the amount of pictures multiplies
and of course in the Datacenter there's always more than one copy of each file, and after a few years a lot gets permanently stored on tape drives

Why isnt Google buying me free food and drinks Sup Forums?

every time the AI creates those images/videos, it asks you if you want to save them. But even if you don't those files were already created and processed and probably continue to be stored for years to come, even if you decline or delete them.
Even if you turn those automatic creations off, there's no way to know if it still does it anyway and just hides it from you, in order to make more suitable ads
Really scary the more you think about it, how do they even keep up with the insane storage demand, multiplied many times because of the above reasons?

I don’t really mind the botnet since it’s marketing towards someone who doesn’t exist anyway. It can have my habits since the persons name and address and all the minute details it can’t deter from genuine are well, fake. I’m heartbroken the AI facescans my pepes and memes that I haven’t storage for.

I’m not submitting to the botnet, I don’t use botnet services majority of the time, but I’ve accepted that google is a core part I can’t avoid, so I just adjust how well it works from me, because I can’t get rid of it.

But I can't help it, I use it anyway.
It's so reliable and efficient and so simple that even my friends can use it if they want to see a picture on my phone.
The face profiling is creepy, but when my friends asks "do you still have this picture we made 2 years ago?" and I can instantly search through all photos where he appeared makes everything a lot easier

pretty amazing you can archive every video in the world for free

Are there any known cases where Google reacted to someone uploading absurd amounts of photos and videos?

It's compresses images to 1080p if you don't have a Google Pixel. it's a literal Botnet for The NSA.

it compresses videos to 1080p, not images. images get compressed to 16MP.

Not yet, but I'm sure some morons will abuse the service and google will either ask them to upgrade to paid plans or shut down their account.

12MP not 16MP

I use this all the time, and got all of my family onto this botnet as well. It's just way to convenient.
I got tired of everyone sending eachother shitloads of photos over whatsapp and losing their photos if their phone breaks.

Also they compressed like 3 years of photos and videos (about 10k photos) into 20gb without any noticeable quality loss.

The interface is shit though. Flickr is way better.

I agree, the web interface is absolute dogshit. It also loads images in shit quality unless you zoom in, even on my 500mbit connection.

>boku no pico high school