OpenBSD!

Why don't you use me on your computers yet, user?
I'm really secure and have good defaults, you won't find a better BSD in town!

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Partitioning
allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/
aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/20/
lwn.net/Articles/616097/
cis.upenn.edu/~cis501/papers/producing-wrong-data.pdf.
seclists.org/oss-sec/2015/q4/17
seclists.org/oss-sec/2015/q4/25
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why are you shilling so hard lately? I was going to try it but fuck off already, now I wont.

FreeBSD took their drivers from openbsd if they didn't take the lazy way of emulating linux drivers. OpenBSD is the real innovator for BSD, OpenSSH and libreSSL among other projects that many other operating systems use came from openbsd.

Because I spent a while getting Void to work and getting used to Linux, now I have a lot less time to I can't install a completely new and different OS that requires effort. I want to though, maybe I'll get around to it later

I'm trying but after the initial install I'm met with a black screen. The issue has something to do with inteldrm.

Google has yielded no help.

Because steam no longer works on it :(

OpenBSD doesn't ship with nonfree firmware because of OS policy. You have to install that after you install openbsd.

>Bing!
>Wahoo!
>1-up!

it's installed and xorg loads but to a black screen. Can't even change tty.

Ctrl-Alt-F2

can I use fdisk to format? (probably via shell, right?)
I really don't get why I need 8 partitions and how the partitioner during install works

it's very easy
it'll guide you through doing it when you get there.
just run 'a' and then the partition letter for every partition you need, it'll prompt for the mountpoint, filesystem and size as you go along

no I mean, I already installed it with standard settings some time ago, tho I really don't get why I need more than 3
only did it for testing, but I'll reinstall it with root, bootstuff and home partition
also headless

same reason i don't use grsecurity, it's a placebo with bad performance

It's in the FAQ

openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Partitioning

Linus pls go

The insecurity of OpenBSD allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/
OpenBSD: Not Free Not Fuctional and Definetly Not Secure aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/20/

Oh look is that guy who has been posting the same bullshit blog for the last 10 years.

Hi.

>implying
>ad hominem
>being so butthurt you lie

> While most people may consider a DOS attack or local privilege escalation problems to be vulnerabilities, the OpenBSD team disagrees. If we use a more generally accepted definition of security vulnerability, OpenBSD suddenly has a far greater number than two remote holes in the default install a heck of a long time.
Um what?

>if we include local privilege escalation in the definition of a vulnerability, OpenBSD has had more than two remote execution exploits in the default install
What the fuck did they mean

OpenBSD uses a "disklabel", which is like its own partition table full of different filesystems which sits within one of the MBR partitions. During the install, you can customize the layout rather than using the default suggested layout with a whole bunch of different partitions for everything. You just need to make sure that your root partition is "a". Also be aware that the letters assigned to partitions in OpenBSD are a little confusing and different than on Linux. If /dev/wd0a is your root partition, then the whole disk is /dev/wd0c, not just /dev/wd0. It's always "c" for whatever reason. The OpenBSD partitions in the disklabel fill a, b, d, e, f, g, h and skip "c". And then "i" and onwards are the other actual partitions on your disk, so if /dev/sda1 is an ext2 partition, /dev/sda2 is a FAT32 partition and /dev/sda3 is your BSD disklabel, then /dev/wd0i would be your ext2 partition on OpenBSD and /dev/wd0j would be your FAT32 partition on OpenBSD.

>local privilege escalation
>remote execution exploits
local remote local remote...

>2010
>2013

>emulating linux drivers
>though the DRM/KMS drivers for Intel and Radeon are also based on the Linux 3.8 versions. One downside to importing Linux code is that it won't be reviewed by OpenBSD kernel developers because they won't read code that does not conform to the BSD coding style.
lwn.net/Articles/616097/

Is OpenBSD, dare I say it, finished and bankrupt?

Benchmarks show it's slower than trueOS and Freebsd

Go the fuck back to

He's not wrong, though. You're a pretty annoying and obvious faggot, and you've been spamming your blog here for a long time.

>I was going to try it
yeah sure, lmao

r u in denial user?!!?!

although that blog post is old, it is definitely not bullshit retard.

maybe it doesn't accurately reflect modern OpenBSD, but it's entirely correct. if you shit on MAC and RBAC systems, you're a fucking moron.

>it is definitely not bullshit
oh, it definitely /is/ bullshit, precisely because

>it doesn't accurately reflect modern OpenBSD

and
>shit on MAC and RBAC systems
is a strawman that misses the whole fucking point of OpenBSD. How about your actually bother reading the relevant mailing lists instead of some rando butthurt propaganda blog?

>2018
>no trim support
>using a outdated '70s filesystem

Into the thash it goes

I use it on my laptop

that same 70's file system is what ext2 and its descendents are based on

>>using a outdated '70s filesystem
UFS was introduced in 1982 wiseguy

based=/=equal

right... talking about intuitive

>Why don't you use me on your computers yet, user?
It's a free unix-like OS, which is great, but doesn't offer me a compelling reason to switch most of my shit from pfSense or GNU/Linux. I do use OpenBSD for my mailserver and an old SPARC box, since it's superior for those roles.

Dragonfly is making some really funky stuff with their systems you know?

because its not a desktop os

Yes it is.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

>since it's superior for those roles
It isn't though.

Performance is utter trash compared to Debian on the same hardware.

I want to use my machine, not just configure it and let it idle.

OpenBSD is perhaps ok for low power devices like routers. For a daily driver it's awful.

>reading the relevant mailing lists

why the fuck would I bother with that? honestly mailing lists need to die.

>openbsd finally patches meltdown this week
>its fix was to implement linux KPTI

ROFL
THE STATE OF BSD!

>spectre1/2 still unpatched
>secure
:^)

I want to try DragonFlyBSD.
Matt was the first developer to find bugs in the new AMD Ryzen. He was the first BSD project to implement Spectre and Meltdown mitigation; almost at the same time as Linux, despite having only days instead of months of warning. He single-handedly made the system SMP, and developed the HAMMER file system, the first BSD system in about 30 years.

But right now very few people use DFly. Hopefully more people will do it so we have a decent alternative to Linux and FreeBSD (OpenBSD is nice but really super slow).

Question:

am a happy debian user, looked into BSD but couldn't find some packages that i really need (ibus, m17n, ...)

what is the state of packages in the BSD world, compared to debian ?

Why do you open bsd faggots get assblasted when presented with facts?

I want to Multiboot BSD. Why should I use Free BSD or Open BSD? I don't like the SJW code of conduct that Free BSD is doing. I might try Open Indiana as it works on machines with Ryzen and Nvidia drivers are available.

I know Open Indiana is not a BSD, but I might give Unix a try instead, if BSD is a terrible meme.

OpenBSD is the worst Linux distro.

I haven't tried ibus, but am currently using uim on openbsd-stable.

yikes

Yeah, I'm going to multiboot Open Indiana. It maybe obscure, but Firefox is supported and I believe my hardware is also supported. A guy had success with his Ryzen CPU and I have one too. Also, Nvidia has drivers for my card.

may be*

the default partitioning is for security by isolation (remember the OS is purely security focused)
if you're just test driving it like linux, just slap a swap and a root partition and that's really all you need. it's probably also easier on a standalone system since you're not expected to add or remove storage on the fly as in a server room.

I don't have a server to run. For the desktop use its utter shit. Security by stripping out every feature. Even the whole Bluetooth stack is missing. Try to run vagrant/vbox on this. Webbrowser performance is on 2k9 era level. IMHO its not usable for my computing needs on a desktop. Love it on servers tho.

nvidia graphics

Also, I really love their efforts in exploit mitigation techniques.

Are you joking?
OpenBSD has fewer developers than the linux kernel and they didn't get advance notice of this hardware fuck up. What did you expect?

quite frankly I think the only reason why Linux even got notified is because Google has a vested interest in Android. if they didn't they'd just fuck them over like all the other non-corporate-giant OSes.

Because OpenBSD is one of the least secure pieces of crap out there. You have a vulnerability counter that you never increment because it'd make you look fucking stupid. There have been plenty more vulns over the past X years that this should have been incremented to, and just to prove my point anyone here can look up m00nbsd on twitter to see them. 2 vulns my ass. Next up, KARL. You have a leaky kernel API that does not prevent anyone from actually derandomising the kernel -- but to make matters worse, you trade this off by randomising a bunch of relocations on boot. This is terrible for deterministic performance and you'll end up with a roughly 20% performance variations across reboots. Real fucking good OpenBSD. For anyone interested: cis.upenn.edu/~cis501/papers/producing-wrong-data.pdf. Next up LibreSSL. You've forked OpenSSL, removed some code, added some new code, changed some of the API and called it secure with 0 backing up. And no, # of CVEs does not make anything automatically more secure. OpenSSL is dogshit, but claiming LibreSSL is secure is outright stupid. I could go on, but I think you got the point on why I don't use it or would recommend anyone to ever use it.

Yeah, not to mention OpenSMTPD was chock full of vulnerabilities and that was supposed to be their flagship rewrite. Don't get memed in kids.

seclists.org/oss-sec/2015/q4/17
seclists.org/oss-sec/2015/q4/25

I'm sorry, but i need this insecure Wine. Freetards still haven't come up with a good cross platform image editor.