/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Previous Thread
>Free resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
freecodecamp.com/
codecademy.com/
bento.io/
google.com

>Further resources
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Roadmap
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

>Tools
jsfiddle.net/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your code
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

Other urls found in this thread:

cors-anywhere.herokuapp.com/https://a.4cdn.org/g/catalog.json').then(a=>{a.json().then(b=>{b.forEach(c=>{c.threads.filter(d=>d.sub).forEach(d=>{d.sub.includes('/wdg/')&&(window.location=`https://boards.Sup
elm-lang.org/
lolcode.org/
upskillcourses.com/p/essential-web-developer-course
clusterize.js.org/
nodeschool.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>jquery-spaghetti/webform/blahwhatever --> MVC --> component-based architecture/react/angular5/vue

What paradigm is next? and how soon?

>anime in op pic

off yourself

not OP, but anime is awesome. you suck.

nice dubs though

could be better/worse

or that one time when images weren't working for half a day

/wdg/ bookmarklet
javascript:(()=>{fetch('cors-anywhere.herokuapp.com/https://a.4cdn.org/g/catalog.json').then(a=>{a.json().then(b=>{b.forEach(c=>{c.threads.filter(d=>d.sub).forEach(d=>{d.sub.includes('/wdg/')&&(window.location=`https://boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/${d.no}`)})})})})})();

Is pure PHP the ultimate bogpill?

PHP is absolutely fine now. No memeing, it truly is. But it suffers from a poor reputation.

Give PHP 7.2 a try and you will see it is not anywhere near as bad as its reputation suggests.

i already use pic related in my bookmarks

why use all that shite

Could you give me the definite source to learn PHP 7 properly, from basics to advanced OOP? A book or a course, it doesn't matter.

"PHP Objects, Patterns, and Practice", Matt Zandstra, 2016
"PHP 7 Programming Cookbook", Doug Bierer, 2016

Thanks m8

Pure prodedural PHP is the /ascended/-pill.

Anyone used Angular Router much?

Trying to figure out if there's a way to get the router to re-run resolvers e.g. after CRUD without using the weird hacks people are posting on github issues.

I get lag on the webpage when I try to scroll across a large-ish table (~5000 rows, all text). This happens even after the table is fully rendered. Is there a way to make things smoother without pagination?

Browsers tend to get laggy after a few thousand DOM elements.

For large tables, you'll want to use components that only render DOM for the data on screen. Most decent table/grid components will do this for you. ag-grid is apparently quite good.

Already posted this in /sqt/, will give this thread a shot as well: Is javascript the most used language for remote developer jobs? For self taught programmers in this thread, what resources did you use to learn, what books do you recommend?
Thanks

back end is php

im a professional php developer, can you describe why you think php 7 has improved on it's reputation

Purely functional. And it's already here: elm-lang.org/

>the most used language for remote developer jobs
Hard to say. In general, PHP is still the most used web language.
I don't have statistics to back this up, but I think those places, that offer remote positions are also those less likely to use a standard LAMP/LEMP stack.
JS use is still increasing year by year though, while PHP has remained fairly the same, when you check it against GitHub or Stackoverflow language trends.
Part of that is due to Node.js, but also the new paradigm of frontend frameworks like React, Vue and Angular.

>what books do you recommend
no books, I don't know why everyone is always asking for books, when you have the internet available.
When it comes to webdev books get outdated so fast.
Often on here people either ask about books or complain about books; how they try to teach outdated version or include examples, that no longer work, etc.

>what resources did you use to learn
I did one month of teamtreehouse, going through HTML/CSS videos on 1.5x speed, just to absorb info. (but it's absolutely not required and might even be better to stick to free resources instead of looking to be spoonfed... in any case it was helpful as a kickstart nontheless)
Then did a bunch of JS code challenges on codewars.com and codefights.com
Then the absolutely best thing you can do in my opinion is to start building things yourself as soon as you can.
Just start some hobby project and get used to looking things up on MDN and Google.
As long as you have motivation, learning and progressing will be a breeze. Many tutorials are just too boring and it's a chore to follow along.

It is much more cleaner. Primary complaint of PHP prior to 7.0 was its seemingly 'shoddy' nature, where there were numerous methods carrying out the same functionality. 7.0 cleaned that up, 7.2 more so. It is now a respectable language for server-side execution.

is there a size with good examples comparing PHP 7 code to earlier versions?

Similar to those ES5 ES6 comparisons?

Thanks man.

Sorry for mocking PHP in the past. It's not too bad now.

know nodejs js
what do? ansver please

LAMP vs MEAN/MERN

Pick your side, and explain why.

LYCE

node js

Whats a good name for a Vue stack?

>V-MEN ?
>Vue,Mongo,Express,Nginx
>inb4 vuemen

And why does every 4 letter meme stackname include a specific database, when that's ultimately something situational?
And why the fuck would 'Express' be part of the stack name instead of the actual backend 'Node' ?
Naming things is the most ridiculous part of WebDev and JavaScript

seriously who the fuck cares if your stack is using Postgres or MySQL, thats something completely interchangeable.
Same with Apache and Nginx.
Noone tells you how ""Apache"" is actually part of their stack, since it's nothing you even think about when developing your project.
It's just part of your 4letter meme name.

>LAMP
>Linux, Apach..
YEAH WHAT THE FUCK WHO CARES THAT YOUR OS IS LINUX
what the fuck has that to do with your actual tech stack.
Your shit running on linux is pretty much guaranteed unless you are using something explicit like IIS or whatever

I just remembered, that the N in MEAN and MERN actually already stands for Node and not nginx, which doesn't even make more or less sense, than the other way.
Of course your backend is Node, when your framework is Express.
Fucking stack meme abbreviations

>Whats a good name for a Vue stack?
VENM, pronounced "venom". Who wants to make the logo?

>mean.io is offline now
kek

Can I make decent full stack apps using firebase when I only know front-end or is it not really good enough for anything but small things nobody will really use?

Like what if I wanted to have a database of like 100 small webm/videos that play and it had like 300 users at once, would that even work or would I go over the free limit right away?

Just get a droplet for like 5$ a month and install whatever you want on it and upgrade later.

You can host a web app on it. Build a API f you need a mobile app as well.

What's a good resource to learn php real well?
I've done some c, python. And lisp in the past

firebase is for small hobby projects. it's good for authentication, very easy to set up, but for uploading files or critical data you gotta go with something like aws.

My website is almost done, it's taken me around a week of going hard out but it's almost ready. I was wondering if posting it here when it's done is cool (it's free and there's no ads), people can try sql injection or anything they want. I'm going to host it for a week while I test to make sure all the features work properly.

i mean you can post it, but why should anyone here give a shit unless you are asking for something specific like ux advice?

sure you can link your site in here

Cause it looks cool homie

What is the worst most soul destroying language to learn

lolcode.org/

That's just esoteric

I really, really, really like #008080

Malbolge is like, impossible to program by hand

Soyboy

Mean = Mongo / Express / Angular / NODEjs

Please respond

anons, anyone have any step by step tutorials on how to build a web app? not interested in the coding part. I know HTML, CSS, js and ruby. I want to know,

how do I find a public server to host it? what to look for?

how do I use the server? any setup required?

should I be building everything, html pages, ruby scripts locally? and how do i structure my folder tree?

upskillcourses.com/p/essential-web-developer-course

>how do I find a public server to host it?
which host to choose?
Digitalocean and Vultr are good choices.
>how do I use the server? any setup required?
You should have basic familiarity with Linux.
Digitalocean (whether you use them or not) also have tons of guides on their site on how to do all kinds of server related things.
>should I be building everything, html pages, ruby scripts locally?
how else?
There is no point live editing on the server.
Laracasts is fairly popular

perfect thank you user

is there a way to get an image's naturalWidth/Height as soon as they become available?

the "load" event is too late for what i want to do and there's no "loadstart" event like with xmlhttprequest

Retard here, how do I use a foreach loop to display different locations on google maps? I'm actually able to do it, but the following entry in the db overwrites the last one, so only one marker ends up appearing.

so I want to learn to make a web app using real world libraries/frameworks. I want to start with a chat app. Is node.js+mongodb alright?
would it be better to use php/php library?
would it be better to use sql instead?
anything else I need?

Your backend language doesn't really matter. However, for a chat app it's probably easier with node due to the ease of setting up websockets.
And if you need relations (who sent what message) you might as well use a relational database, document stores don't shine when it comes to structured data.

As long as you don't need persistence and just want to get the real-time chat feature working you don't have to worry about databases right away imo.
(Which DB would ultimately be best I don't know)

Look into websockets or specifically socket.io for an easy start with real-time communications.
Node.js is just fine if you like to develop with JS. Make sure you know how asynchronicity in JS works though. (callbacks,promises,async/await)

This is also a good case for a frontend library like React or Vue.
Even just using the very basics they provide will make development much more comfortable, than if you try to come up with some hacked together jQuery, than can easily turn into spaghetti.

So my recommendation would be
React/Vue.js + Node.js + socket.io
but you can literally use any other stack just as well. Nothing stopping you from doing the same thing with a Python or PHP backend.

Throw in a CSS framework, that already comes with some nice styles and you should end up with a neat looking little chat app, that shouldn't be too much work to complete.

Good luck user.

try clusterize
clusterize.js.org/

>socket.io
>"Get Started" section is a tutorial for a chat app
thanks user.

I've just spent 70€ to have a server (Pretty cool one desu, with cPanel and phpMyAdmin).
Right now I only installed WordPress for an assignment on my CS career (1st year on Spain) and I'm learning PHP on my own.
Planning to host a portofolio for a friend of mine who is an architect, and also to do some
cloud apps for myself and to experiment, and well maybe for dev
some android apps that needs connectivity.
Any cool ideas of things that I can use my server for?

> I've just spent 70€ to have a server

Where did you get it?

> with cPanel and phpMyAdmin

I guess since you're starting it's all right but you should be able to get a VPS and manage it on your own without cPanel and phpMyAdmin in a year or so.

hey thx for the fast reply

> I've just spent 70€ to have a server
Raiola Networks with the cheapest service (5,50€ a month, 1 month free). 70€ a year btw.
They are a pretty new company located in Galicia Spain, I read a lot about the biggests server providers (1&1, OVH, Amazon) but I heard that not-so-know companies like them are the best, fastest technicians seting up your shiet if necesary, and pretty cool and easy contact with them via tickets or e-mail (in spanish tho).

> with cPanel and phpMyAdmin
Not gonna deny that, I'm sure I will try to do a clean setup by myself someday, but hey those tools make shit easy as fuck and pretty easy as well.

So, any cool web tools, pages, and interactive or not shiet I can do? and android or PC apps that could be cool to dev that would use the server? I wanna do shiet with it and I only have 1 year to use those 70€.

I see. Well, I don't know of any tools for shared hosting desu. Hopefully, someone else will be able to provide more info.

How far do you (actually employed/actually doing freelance proper jobs) go when making a real site?

Is it mostly down to html/CSS and a little JS to make buttons, effects, scrolling etc or do people actually put lots of autistic JS tricks in REAL sites they build for people?

When I see a lot of effects on a site it usually results in bad performance and especially bad mobile UX

well, thx anyway, I still have lots of things to do with it tho.

well you can literally do anything you want with it.
Don't want to sound rude, but it's pointless to ask others what you could/should do with it.
Isn't coming up with and realizing your own projects the actual fun part in web development?

true, but there are some ideas and projects that depends more with netowrking than others, and there are some that are more fun to experiemtn with than others. I have some ideas, but I would like to hear some others from here.

why is Entity Framework Core so fucking trash
I've been trying probably two dozen or so different ways of getting this piece of shit to produce left outer joined result sets and every time it shits out slow-ass N+1 queries

Is react a framework? What about vue?

Had this discussion with some coworkers that argued that only angular is a true mvc web framework.

Who else /neat/ here?

>that
>neat
Pick one.

reminds me of

React and Vue are generally referred to as libraries.
Angular is a framework.

You use a library.
A framework uses you.

'MVC' is a wonky term anyway.
It's thrown around all the time, but no exact definition is ever attached. (and what it referred to also changed over time afaik?)

Do not think of a library as something more lightweight. I did a test with two VM clones and installed React in one of them and Angular in the other. The increase in disk size was similar for both, and I'm talking tens of GB here.

What do people look in MVC library anyway? I practically achieved SPA with 5kb routing library and just jquery.

A socially accepted framework is like the main religions, they do the thought for you. Web Devs need this.

I am trying to learn web development, its pretty easy, but holy shit there is just -so- much stuff. I just cannot figure out how to learn something in a straightforward manner, because anytime I start, I realize I have missed out on something , be it a part of html, css or javascript. Its incredibly frustrating. Why the fuck does web development need to have such a ton of different, seemingly unrelated stuff to learn? Its like I am dealing with the fucking hydra over here.

just keep working, learning what you need to. you never truly learn EVERYTHING

That's why you look everything up as you go. Don't go in expecting to know everything before you start.

>tens of GB
what?
Or am I missing some joke with the VM taking up the space?

just learn web dev in this order:
HTML
CSS
HTML5
CSS3
PHP
JAVASCRIPT
Anything you want now.

I don't know. I had to install everything from scratch, starting with npm.

>web devs need this
the religion?

>php

t. web dev

would be interesting to know what exactly you mean then or whats taking up that space.
Usually when people mention disk size, it's memeing about the node_modules folder being like 200MB, when the final output ends up as 300KB or so, due to all the tooling and build scripts.

Actually I installed React native and Ionic. And then I installed VS code in both VMs with the most popular plugins for each framework.
Man it was huge. React native even tried to install gradle and Java again, even though it was already inside the Android Studio folder.

php isn't core.

if you already know some front end framework, a next logical step would be webpack.

is the website devloper bootcamp course on udemy any good?

About to cop it now

Yes, but don't buy it. Pirate it from FTU. Udemy isn't trustworthy and can suspend your account for no reason.

var materials = [
'Hydrogen',
'Helium',
'Lithium',
'Beryllium'
];

console.log(materials.map(material => material.length));
Where is "material" declared here? How does it know what a "material" is? Shouldn't it be referenced as "materials.length"?

>webpack 4 released after being in alpha/beta for a while
>all kinds of important plugins with millions of NPM downloads are not compatible yet
t-thanks, guess I can't complain since it's free

pls get on it extract-text-webpack-plugin devs

it's just a variable name for the function, that is passed to .map()

that arrow function is basically the same as
materials.map(function(item){
return item.length
})

if you are a javascript nooblet, my recommendation is to go through javascripting, learnyounode, functional-javascript, how-to-npm, and stream-adventure on nodeschool.io/

the other courses are pretty good, too

this recommendation of yours, come from experience or what?

yes.