/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
youtube.com/watch?v=yV5BwIXpAlk
sonarworks.com/truefi
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
youtu.be/Wd111pS2rTw
sweatyandcramped.bandcamp.com/album/setbacks
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/windows-10-update-game-mode-for-audio-playback.1466/
my.mixtape.moe/poevsk.flac
aliexpress.com/item/Genuine-Takstar-PRO82-pro-82-Professional-monitor-headphones-stereo-HIFI-headset-for-Computer-recording-K-song/32811589590.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190
soundcloud.com/worldwide-fm/eliphino-piano-day
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For me its the SHP9500S

Never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality control, performance, and customer service
>Schiit defenders are becoming poster children for post-purchase rationalization when shown their buys aren’t worth the money

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses
>As we see, tons of jitter and distortion products are visible together with higher noise floor. Even the Topping D30 at $129 shipped runs circles around it in how clean its output is relative to Schiit BiFrost Multi-bit.
>There are DACs literally at 10% of the cost that do much better.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

What's everyone listening to?

youtube.com/watch?v=yV5BwIXpAlk

I need a dac/amp for HD600s that I can plug an XLR mic into

sonarworks.com/truefi

Thoughts on this?

>reddit

Go back.

Should I buy?

What's a good android DAC bros?

What do you guys think of the Backbeat Sense from Platronics? I'm coming from a cheap Philips SHL3000. How much of a difference should I expect?

>non-user-replaceable pleather earpads
>at that price point
You have to literally send the headphones back to OPPO every time you want the earpads replaced, which will be every few months because they have shitty sprayed-on pleather on the earpads.

Any recommendations for headphones that sound objectively as good with better build quality?

reminder Magni 3 measures as good as a macbook

pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
Fill the template out.

woof

Anyone know a good amp for the AKG K701s? Possibly not too expensive

Nice most preeminent headphones in the Virgo Supercluster, doggo. Nice Audio Technicas, too.

Is this the most durable headphone?

youtu.be/Wd111pS2rTw
sweatyandcramped.bandcamp.com/album/setbacks
i mostly listen to music on my lsr305s now

Is there a guide for buying amps, dacs, or audio interfaces?

there is no difference between them except functionality

SOMEBODY PLEASE ANSWER FOR THE SAKE OF DUBS

double dubbs

That honestly looks garbage

It'll probably sound worse.

none, they're both shit
get the takstar pro 82

Not really a guide. Depends more on price range and what level of diminishing return you want to deal with.

-chinkshit goes from cheap to expensive but it's all chinkshit

-Next step would be sub $500 jds element/OBJECTIVE2+ODAC or some version of Schiit magni/modi

-After that you're into $2000+ dollar dac amps.

I wouldn't bother with anything in between. Tubes are a shitshow. Audio interfaces are a shitshow.

Wait what? can you make msr7 wireless or is reddit fucking with me?
if yes why do retards buy those bose or sony wireless ones?
What bluetooth adapter do u recommend in europe? need something to use at the gym when i heavy lift (unlike you soyheiser shills)

Thanks. I already have the philips which is really cheap. The backbeat looks shitty but it has decent ratings on some websites and is within my budget so that's what attracted me to it. You guys are really sure I should pass? I've never had decent quality headphones btw.

>some version of Schiit magni/modi
bad suggestion, worse than chinkshit

Negative

FiiO BTR1 or any mpow adapter

>Audio interfaces are a shitshow
That's false, audio interfaces have very good DACs at very good prices. See the UMC204HD which was actually Amir's best budget DAC before the Topping D30. Now compare the features of this audio interface to a simple DAC-only unit.
A good headphone amp, of course you'd need one. But you might as well get an audio interface as a DAC since they measure the same and bring much more to the table.
Even a Scarlett 2i2's headphone out would perform as well as an O2 if you have one of the common mid-fi headphones.
Schiit's Magni/Modi are outdated and flawed, not meant to be recommended.

>Amir's

anyone recommend some good comfortable but unknown/cheap silicone ear tips with a ~5mm nozzel and large (14mm+) outer diameter

using these and they are pretty good

I have and have tried a bunch of foam ones including comply and they are the best sounding to me but irritate my skin after a while

On my 558s phonepostin and no one can stop me
Same, I love my 600s but I'll almost always use my 305s.

Are you really trying to use two people joking about audiophools as a way to discredit Amir? You buttblasted nigger. I am laughing at your life.

There is no audible difference between o2+odac and mid range audio interface. Also there is no difference between o2+odac and realtek. As well as there is no audioble difference between realtek and a $2000 audiophool dac amp.

M40x, m50, MSR7 all have 3.5mm connections. Unplug your cable and plug in a bluetooth receiver. Pair it with a device broadcasting bluetooth. There's your wireless audio. And with a bluetooth transmitter you can then turn anything with a 3.5mm out into a belutooth transmitter.

This is the latest schiit fanboy trying to discredit his scientific measurements. Just ignore the retard.

Read the thread
>There is no audible difference between o2+odac and mid range audio interface.
Good luck with a long run to a cheap ass audio interface.
>As well as there is no audioble difference between realtek and a $2000 audiophool dac amp.
Highly debatable.

Also I keep forgetting to tell you, everytime I see your post I hear Danny Brown "EAT A RAPPER LIKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH"

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/windows-10-update-game-mode-for-audio-playback.1466/
here's the post, Amir is neither joking about it nor encouraging it's use, he says it MAY improve sound quality and he'll make measurements eventually

cute feet

Holy shit dude, get a life. You realize saying "audiophool" makes you look dumb, right? It's like "AmeriKKKa" or "Micro$oft," it just makes people not take you seriously.

>t. buttblasted audiophool with schiit yggdrasil and cable risers

>t.
Go back gen z.

>he says it MAY improve sound quality and he'll make measurements eventually
Based Amir not making claims that can't be supported by measurements

That's his whole schtick. He won't make claims without measurements. Not trying to shit on him, but he seems to love showing off his 30,000 dollar device.

I'm not the only one using this word here. Get a life, schizo.

Is this general what happens when poorfags can’t afford good gear so they are reduced to parrot the opinions of other people with actual experience on real forums? Also funny how you’re arguing over measurements as if they matter. What a bunch of faggots.

And here comes a retard larping about shit he doesn't own.

>Not trying to shit on him, but he seems to love showing off his 30,000 dollar device.
I would too if I had a scope of that caliber. Unlike expensive audio gear, you typically get what you pay for with oscilloscopes and digital logic analyzers and he's doing right by the community by putting the measurements out there.
>Is this general what happens when poorfags can’t afford good gear so they are reduced to parrot the opinions of other people with actual experience on real forums? Also funny how you’re arguing over measurements as if they matter. What a bunch of faggots.
Real forums like Head-Fi and SBAF, right? The ones where companies pay for dedicated forums and threads and moderatorship to delete negative opinions of their gear?

Sure kid.

my.mixtape.moe/poevsk.flac
Cö shu nie is pretty rad

>And he's doing right by the community by
Yeah, that's why I said I'm not trying to shit on him. As far as I can tell, he's some retired dude that knows what he's doing and is trying to help others out. He's been focused on sub 500 dollar equipment almost entirely. I recall them mentioning that they're trying to prove that you don't need to waste thousands of dollars and you can get the same quality in the relatively cheap shit.

Misspelling words as an insult is something children do. You have to be 18 or older to browse Sup Forums.

You should have ordered an actual upgrade to your HD6XX, HD600, instead of shitty retard STAX with their limp dick bass impact and rollercoaster treble response.

Yeah you should pass, that design of the backbeat sense and it being bluetooth really doesn't scream quality to me

I'd honestly listen to this guy if you're looking for a good closed headphone.

aliexpress.com/item/Genuine-Takstar-PRO82-pro-82-Professional-monitor-headphones-stereo-HIFI-headset-for-Computer-recording-K-song/32811589590.html
cheapest one I could find

If you're wanting an open headphone then get the SHP9500S from newegg.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

Not on topic exactly, but is there a way to have foobar add a track to a playlist when opening music instead of overwriting whatever playlist is open?

Nice projection :^)

I don't pretend to have gear that I don't have, kiddo.

dude mods like this are ancient

What Shit don’t I have?

thanks, I'll pass

Me neither :)

>arguing over measurements as if they matter.
Right, it's not science and engineering, things that can be measured, that decodes and produces sound waves, which is nothing but moving air in the end. No, it's all dac magic and JO crystals. We should believe Rob Watts from Chord, who thinks he can hear differences between.. power cables. Yes, give all the money you earn to these guys. It's the right thing to do.

Some more

And a couple others :)

Audiophoolery is a hobby that is more like wine tasting than technology related hobbies in the ends. You have all these fools praising things that are entirely in their heads and who raise shitstorms when their beliefs are contested by blind tests. I'm thankful my other hobbies aren't infested by such retardation. Photography is pretty grounded in reality and engineering, you get what you pay for, and higher end gear offers better performance, but you know exactly how much more you get for each tier you might spend on. Nobody is going to call a lens that blurs corners a great lens just because it's made by X brand, unlike audiophoolery where measuring worse doesn't matter as long as it has a $2k price tag.

What about people that buy things just because of measurements?

From experience you wind up with a system lacking synergy

>synergy
So you're as bad as the people you dislike.

wow user. enjoy your music.
>tfw too poor to have decent headphones

is brand new stax sr-l300 + srm-252s for 750€ a good deal?

*robs your house*

Also have these

should I get Beats EP?

I bought brand new 3100 for around $670 direct from japan.

Measurements are but one of the factors to buy something. They determine the actual sound performance but sound quality isn't the only thing to discriminate. For dacs, you might want more inputs and outputs, have it work as a preamp for speakers and so on. For an amp you need to decide whether it has enough power for the headphones you care about. For a headphone there is build quality, comfort when using stock pads (this is important because it's pointless to buy headphones for a sound signature you like and then denaturing it with stupid HM5 pads that completely change it), does it have or not a detachable cable and so on.
So no, I don't buy on measurements alone. I would never buy a ChiFiMan because these things are known to break all too easily.

Holy shit pls respond headphone user. I have the he500, I like them for the linear bass and subbass, the liquidy mids, only downside really is that female vocals can sound a little distant.
Should I buy HD800, LCD2, or what? Which would you think is the better upgrade from the he500?
I never thought I'd find someone else who owns both a dt990 and a he500. Pic related(returned the monoprice stuff, just bought to demo)

>only downside really is that female vocals can sound a little distant.
Have you tried eq'ing the upper midrange a bit?

New MASSIVE KNOB for my magni 3. I'm sure an US user posted his magni with the same one a while ago. I'll provide a link for any uk/eu bros who are interested (much smother/sensitive control now).

Topping d30, sounds nice and clean, sounds great.. like most other good dacs that I have owned. Couldn't be happier with it for £70. I'm never buying a dac again unless it breaks.

What kind of amp are you using? Rolling some NOS Mullard’s can add the missing presence with female vocals, for instance.

Yes, I don't really like the result. I never understood what people meant when they said the he500 had "liquid mids" and it was because my dac x6 has signifficant droop starting at like 2k ending at -7db at 20k.
Once I implemented an eq to fix the droop then I was able to hear what they meant by liquid mids but it came at the cost of having the vocals sound more distant.
I tried boosting a few different frequencies but didn't like the results. I am open to any suggestions although I would still like to identify an upgrade path. At the moment I'm leaning towards an HD800+SDR and replacing my dac x6 with topping d30+magni 3

try the new monoprice m1060c, early reviews say it's better in every way to the open version and the new driver has no 5khz ringing

When I spend over $2000 on a DAC I care primarily about the performance.

I'm pretty sure you're a schizophrenic.

I'm using an FX audio dac x6 for the next two weeks at which point I'll be doing what this user did and getting a d30+magni 3. I got talked into not upgrading my source when I bought the he500 because asr's review of the dac x6 didnt exist yet.

O2 + OL DAC user. Don't go for the chinkshit and Schiit garbage.

Yes, indeed I enjoy some headphone listening but my main rig is my time machine. I’m waiting for some tubes to arrive so I can hear what this Stax SRM-006ts can really sound like. Comes stock with rebranded sovtek and I’ve been practicing dialing them in with my DMM.

If you spend $2000 on a DAC you are definitely buying snake oil.

Being schizophrenic would be nowhere near as insulting as being one of these people whose life is so empty they need to play make belief and spend money to feel something.

I disagree. I like my Benchmark DAC3.

Sorry not familiar with your gear, my hd800s driven by my Woo Wa22 with choice NOS tubes would be my recommendation for an upgrade to the he500. but like I said I can roll tubes in the Wa22 to suit whatever mood.or album i’m listening to and it would come down to personal preference if the hd8800s were worth the $ over the he500, or lcd-2 for that matter. Best bet is to listen to the headphones on your gear before dropping money.

Not an argument.

Neither are strictly better than the he500? I figured either or would be a substantial upgrade and it just came down to big sound stage hd800 vs warm lcd2

soundcloud.com/worldwide-fm/eliphino-piano-day

Ignore the o2 user. The OL dac will cost more than the d30, especially if you want the optical port, which is an extra on the OL. The magni 3 is better than the o2 in literally everyone's opinion but a couple autists on here. Their whol existence revolves around the fact that the magni 3 might not be neutral lmao,

>The magni 3 is better
Is that after you've warmed it up for a week?

How's it not an argument? Because there's no debate that the measurements are better than anything else on the market?