/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

Recent News:
>Sony's new Flagship: XZ2 and XZ2c leak ahead of MWC
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz2_image_and_specs_leak_ahead_of_mondays_unveiling-news-29765.php
gizchina.com/2018/02/24/sony-xperia-xz2-compact-exposed-in-massive-leak/
>The best sony phone coming to the best ROM
forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xz1-compact/development/lineageoslilac-t3745215
>Android security lead moves to the Fuchsia
xda-developers.com/google-head-of-android-platform-security-fuschia/
>Huawei P20 Pro Specs Leaked On Documents
gizchina.com/2018/02/24/huawei-p20-pro-specs-leaked-documents/
>The first Android Go phone is here
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/24/17048130/android-go-first-phone-announced-alcatel-1x-mwc-2018

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/lg-g6-lg-v30-update-android-oreo/
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-4/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-snapdragon-roms-kernels-recoveries--other-development/rom-lineageos-15-0-t3690465
youtube.com/watch?v=gxXiK2jJJAk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lads...............
anyone have first hand experience with meizu phones?

I want to HUG Kirino ^-^

The Sony phones look much more ergonomic at least. There is a thickness bump though. The old sharp slabs looked nice but that was it.

>...............

Mi A1, yay or nay?

thick bezel.

sony > all

I really hate the look of it, but I can't blame Sony. Many reviewers and outlets never considered Sony phones because of how dated they are in looks and not appealing to a more mainstream audience. But I'll miss the block design and will enjoy my XZ1c to the end of time.

that shit looks like budget tier lenovo. the lenovo moto phones look better.

>..both devices are now confirmed to soon receive Android Oreo worldwide, off the back of Google’s announcement of Android Enterprise Recommended. Both devices are in the program, and so are held to higher standards from Google.

>The Android Enterprise Recommended program has a few, simple rules. The device will receive mandatory security patch updates within 90 days, there are minimum specifications. and an unlocked edition of the device must be purchasable. There are other criteria too, but LG abides by all of them. As a result, it’s likely beneficial for the company to upgrade its devices and thus be promoted as part of the program to the business sector, especially when we’ve seen the company’s profits falling in the last year. Updating to Android Oreo adds more to the long-term appeal of the devices.

>It is unknown if any of LG’s other offerings will receive the update too. It’s also interesting to note that the device will be going straight to Android 8.1 Oreo, and not just 8.0. This is significant, as many other device manufacturers have opted for 8.0, with only Google, Nokia, and Essential being among the few companies updating their devices to Android 8.1. It’s not as if there are a huge number of changes in the latest version of Android, however, as it’s mostly just an incremental upgrade over Android 8.0 Oreo.

>We don’t know when we’ll actually see the update, but it should be coming soon. It should be safe to assume that we’ll see the update within the next weeks, especially given we’ve received the announcement now.

xda-developers.com/lg-g6-lg-v30-update-android-oreo/

So..on the long run this is good news, right? I mean at least the G6 and V30 will also get Android 9 (hopefully)

Any idea when Lineage os 15 comes official to redmi note 4? I was thinking about changing miui to it after it comes and get Oreo. Also should I root my phone at the same time? Or is there some downsides to rooting?

A mix of the worst of Huawei, Motorola and HTC. Absolutely disgusting

I will forever miss the omnibalance design. ;_;

How useful is the S pen actually on galaxy note phones? Unsure if I should go for the S9+ or wait for the Note 9

why care for oreo for any reason other than treble?

she's 14!

Perfect age

that's a problem!
(unless you live in germany where the age of consent is 14)

thistbhfam

>wanting form over function
front is still mostly the same either ways.

opinions on BQ Aquarius X Pro?

why do americans hate android so much?
will I get bullied if I go there with my android phone?

>Form over function
>Fingerprint on the back instead of the more convenient power button on the side

The fingerprint/power button I'll give ya, but it was pointless since that was disabled on the US version. Yes I know you could flash EU firmware but most people don't do that.

bASED

>android charger

the girls here in germany always say "Samsung charger" lmao

If it's anywhere as comfy as my 2014 Moto x, then I think I found my new phone
Good ergos > muh premium flat slab

Also
>Tfw we'll never get a phone as customizable and comfy as Moto maker era Moto phones

What's wrong with Sony?

I used a Meizu MX9 (I think it was an MX9) in China. It was awful.
>phone consistently died at 53% battery
>8 cores, still slow as fuck
I mean, it was really the previous owner and not the phone, but I will never be able to wrap my head around how slow it was when it should have been faster. Also I was literally in China, and the previous owner was Chinese, there were so many fucking apps.

Just don't expect a lot from a Meizu phone user.

>typing on a wobbly phone

I have a Moto G3 so I know what you're saying. I wish there was an iPhone case similar to the G3's texture

>mfw a goddamn bottle of perfume decided to drop on my phone and shit the screen completely
>mfw it's it's sunday and not a single one of the nigger tier repairers will work
>it's a xiaomi in a country where it's literally the most exotic brand imaginable

if tomorrow the nigger doesn't work or doesn't have a screen to replace, i demand nothing less than the deletion of this universe

e srbine

Also it's a little annoying if you occasionally use your phone left handed.

>Being so damn lazy that you can't pick up your phone
The sides made that thing ez to pick up and I'm holding it more than having it on a table, so in hand ergos win again.

because theyre numismatic niggers that pay 5 times their monthly income for a piece of shit they'll have to replace in a year

Yeah it is a lot easier to pick up than all the flat backed phones that's for sure. I hated picking up the iPhone. But seriously the back texture on the Moto G3 is awesome.

because their apps are usually inferior and the android fanbase prides itself on being special snowflakes

I want to hug her too
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-4/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-snapdragon-roms-kernels-recoveries--other-development/rom-lineageos-15-0-t3690465
Keep an on XDA, that's where most people who push your updates come from.
Sure the curves allow it to feel better in the hands, but I can't help to give into the look of a sharp edged phone.
Disappointing designs their new flagships.

Literally anyone with a brain here uses Android. The only people who use Apple phones here are airheaded housewives, ghetto trash, and hipsters.

is there an open-source button remapper for samsung (to disable capacitive keys) for non-rooted devices?
I know there are some on the playstore, but the ones i found aren't open-source which makes then seem shady, especially with the permissions they need to function.

is 6.5 hours of sot good on a 2 years old oneplus 2?

Yeah but that is unofficial still.

Yeah that's how it should be
When it's unofficial then based on users development could mean a while.

>samsung uploading their reveal video a day early to their official youtube channel
explain?????????

in a g6 what do I get on oreo 8.1 that isnt on nougat 7.0? I got this phone as a gift but i dont really know shit about phones

>galaxy s9 is literally just s8 with new software features
Why is this allowed?

I believed it was leaked first.
youtube.com/watch?v=gxXiK2jJJAk
When phones come out each and every year, there's little to change but specifications.

samsung should use stock Android, would make them the best in the market

I hope treble will make this possible

new software, new memory, new storage, new camera, sometimes new glass. that's what new phones are you dip shit.

Yes the s9 has new software as opposed to the s8, not it doesn't have the rest of the things you listed.
Can you read?

I'm bored of my iphone 7.

I've had an iphone since the 4 just because it's what I used.

Now i'm looking at going back to android.

>Want a good build
>Good camera
>Not gonna over heat in my hands

I'm buying off of swappa or some used phone.

Don't really want a samsung though.

>TFW I really miss windows phone and hate it had to die.

Should i buy an A1 now or wait for the rumored A2 (6X) that will be announced at MWC

*hugs*

Price?
Size?
Region?
Uses?
Wait for MWC.

The new mi a2 is coming in autumn. Mi A1 isn't even 1 year old yet.

samsung and the pixel have the best cameras but horseshit batteries, oneplus pretty close in the camera department with a better battery. then there's chinkshit which has great battery and half decent cameras. and phones in between.

any good 5" or 5.2" phones with a good camera and LCD screen?

no

Sorry.
Price: 400ish? I figure it shouldn't be too much used.
Size: Doesn't really matter
Region: US - Verizon cucker
Uses - Maps, phone calls, texts, camera. No gaming and no stupid meme social media apps.

having verizon really cuts out a lot of options. they don't even let you activate phone models that they sell unless you buy it from them.

The Note is one of the, if not the best, handheld on the market. They pen comes in extremely handy and the more you learn it the more useful and productive it becomes.

Don't fall for the Sup Forums memes against "flagships." There's a lot of broke ass 19 year old college kids here who shit on anything they really want but can't afford. That's why you see so many "bruhs what I can't get for under 50 cents that doesn't suck?" questions.

Mention "flagship" here and their jealousy turns to rage and endless shitposts calling you stupid for not limiting yourself to some shitty $200 meme phone or Chinese knockoff.

The Note Series DESTROYS almost every other Android based device on the market. The only real completion, in my opinion, are the IPhone X and maybe Google's Pixel - of course and the Samsung S series.

Wait for the Note 9. You won't be disappointed. Now.... here come the memes, larping, and shitposts from the brokefags listing all the "negatives" of the Note and or Soy and iShit rants.

I hate how they don't do anything to improve the poor battery life offered in flagships - nobody will make a thicker phone to accommodate a better battery. The average mixed use expectation these days is like 70 hours. The real retarded and obvious price cutting tactic for manufacturers is the battery and they use the handset's 'bulky' dimensions as an excuse. But the 5.5" Moto Z Play with a 3,500mah is smaller than any of the iPhone 7/8 Plus and it also has a headphone jack.

I've never had a phone( im a poorfag but I own a tablet and had an ipod touch)
I've got a Mi a1 coming on tuesday, what should I install on it when it comes?

>broke ass 19 year old college

Idk I see more young millennials these days with expensive phones from BOGO deals because they're on plans with their family. Flagships aren't stupid it's just the prices are getting out of hand for what they're offering. And after you've had your fill with mid-ranges and grown tired of their eventually surfacing faults then you start considering paying $700+ for something that actually will work for everything that people expect phones to do these days. In the end people will shell out the money for peace of mind and the support the manufacturers will offer. Taking a gamble on some chinese phone is fine and if it works well to someone's liking that's great for them. Those batteries will die pretty fast and if they're able to stretch the device out to 2 year's of use then they'll have enough neet bux saved to buy the next iteration.

The Note 9 is going to be over $1,100 new and just like Samsung always does the months-later discount will probably put it around $900.The S8 was $720 retail and 4 months later it was going for $575 which helped Samsung gain some in the mobile market along with their abundant budget and midrange offerings.

Moto X4
Buy a case and screen protector. You want to protect this phone as repair and buying a new phone is probably something you aren't looking forward too.

Which plan should I get?

Agreed. I was just warning the poster not to allow Sup Forums's notorious meming against flagships.

You pointed out something very true. If he waits some months after the Note 9 comes out, he'll likely be able to get it for much less than it's original release price.

I don't like the rising costs of phones either, but sadly there's not much you or I can do about it when the best majority will buy them, as you said, through some plan they're on with their carrier.

My point is that something like an iPhone X or Note Serious will last for many years if taken care of. The power of the Note just can't be beat.

I suppose in some way it's like buying a Ford Focus or a Lincoln Navigator. Sure, the Focus will get the job done, but if you can afford the Navigator and prefer it's raw power that dwarfs the Focus... then go for it and fuck everyone else.

i got a moto E4 which is compatible with verizon it's fully unlocked. they wouldn't activate over their system with a brand new sim card.

p sure a focus rs will beat a navigator. why are you comparing an SUV to a sport compact lol

Just how old are you? No way you're over 18. You do know you have to be 18+ to post here legally by the rules, right?

Useless. Just get a S8+ or S9+, they cucked the new Note by giving it a smaller battery than the S.

>it's raw power that dwarfs the Focus

2017 Focus has 30hp less but weighs 2,500lbs less than the Navigator. Are you over 50 years old posting on an anime imageboard or something?

So my brother gave me his S8+ cause he got tired of android and went back to iOS. Another reason is that the camera doesn't work, just gives a camera failed error.

Thankfully I work in a phone repair shop so I'm going to see if maybe the cameras can be replaced. If not, then the motherboard would have to be replaced. Is it worth keeping at that point?

I'm not going to aruge with some 15 year old rule breaker. I know you got the point and are just trolling the lulz now, but I'm out.

>still implying a Lincoln Navigator beats a Focus RS

I'm 28 and I remember when the Focus was garbage but it's not 2002 anymore grandpa.

What cheap United States carriers do people recommend for unlocked phones?

How easy would it be to get a new board? How much would it cost?

>have sony xz premium
i kinda want it to have less bezel. the 4k hdr screen is nice at least and camera is serviceable

Simple Mobile

no 3.5mm
no buy
but bye bye
bye bye sony

You do realize that USB C supports analog audio just the same as a 3.5mm jack, right?

Need a recommendation. USA T-Mobile, not looking to break the bank. Was looking at OnePlus 3T, but am not sure. Will definitely be installing a custom ROM and Ricing

>simple mobile
Never touching that scum again since they cut my 4g because I was "violating terms of service" by using more than 1 gb of data a month on an "unlimited" 4g plan.

but i dont want to carry adapters around

>It's literally just an HTC phone
Imagine dropping the ball this hard. Can't wait for the XZ premium price drop. That red one looks like hot fire.

that's a proto from last year dude

>Take a nap last night while watching some stuff on Youtube
>Wake up with my S7 turned off
>It doesn't boot anymore
>Try to plugin the charger but there's no indication its effective and even the usual led that show its charging doesn't show up
>Both recovery and safe mode does nothing
>Don't have the tools to change the battery myself
>Try to let it charge for 30min or so and come back with the phone incredibly hot and no change at all
I guess my phone is dead.
It was only 2 years old, it fucking sucks.

rumour is mi a2 will use their in house xiaomeme chipset and mali gpu
i won't recommend it if the rumour is true

>break redmeme screen waiting for bus
>pay for new one before bus arrives
I love technology

How expensive is the screen for redmeme and is it easy or hard to replace?

MWC is a day away. Might as well just wait to see what happens.

>Galaxy S9 is gonna be a thousand fucking dollars

>Galaxy SX is gonna be $1 million easy

What? When did this happen? I use data for voice calling constantly in iOS and go well over 5gb a month in just that app alone, how do you violate any unlimited 4G plan

~30 bucks and I've never tried

>removed 3.5mm audio jack, stereo speakers and wireless charging
who's gonna buy this crap?

Where

is the mi unlock tool windows only?

You guys know of any chinky winky phoney woanies that work with freedom pop?

Any Android phones at mwc 2018 that can record at 2160p60?