/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

davidberning.com/products/microzotl
davidberning.com/products/zh270
atma-sphere.com/Products/#UV-1
neurochrome.com/hp-1-ultra-high-end-headphone-amp/
davidberning.com/products/zh270/review_glassaudio
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Best amp under $3000? Neutral and can power iems to HD800.

What source?

stop larping

New Stax SR-407 and SRM-006Ts are coming on song, very immersive.

O2

Multiple.

Yeah probably multiple amps that would do.

Thanks for the advice, friend. Noted.

davidberning.com/products/microzotl
These are rare secondhand but worth the hunt.

>""There's undeniably a lot of magic in that little box. ... Just as a lark I plugged [headphones] into the Berning, and I almost fell out of my chair! All of a sudden, resolution and clarity galore! The ugly duckling was instantly transformed into a beautiful swan. Bass lines gained tremendous impact and precision. The midrange snapped into focus as though a thick veil had been lifted from the soundstage..."

I'll give you an actual recommendation: neurochrome hp-1. can be built for $750 after BOM and case. $500 without case. $1300 after being built.

Looks like he's enjoying them.

t.U'Nbian

/hpg/ going full circle. Glad to see the AKG shills coming back.

I used to own one of his zh-270 but went with full at atma-sphere set up.
davidberning.com/products/zh270

It's probably just that one shitposting m40x child.

post measurements
I always liked the funky looking headbands of AKG stuff but never got around to buying anything AKG. at least dummy-kun is having fun

AKG crowds never left. We just don't shill them on every single poster looking for advice. HD600 guys be like :
>I want a closed headphone

>Get the hd600

Speaking of Ralph has an headphone amp available now, but I no longer have a dealer nearby to check it out.
atma-sphere.com/Products/#UV-1

I just threw my old shitty headphone off my balcony. I need new ones cheap which have decent sound quality and a mic. Any recomendations?

Why on Earth did you throw your headphones off of your balcony?

That's obviously false flagging.

stop pitching snake oil that hasn't even been measured at the very least by the creator. if you want expensive and well performing get benchmark or something like I recommended:

neurochrome.com/hp-1-ultra-high-end-headphone-amp/

Are you 100% sure about that, user?

>davidberning.com/products/zh270
Scroll down the article there are measurements. Also other links that might post measurements too if you take a look.

This is extrenelt overpriced. Good gear tho.

See

yeah, it is. it's also not even necessary you can just get an o2. but it's there if you want it
are you talking about the spec sheet? spec sheets are trash these days and should be ignored

emotiva a-100

That's not HD600, the best headphones in the world.

>davidberning.com/products/zh270
No, the link to Charles Hansen at Glass Audio review.

davidberning.com/products/zh270/review_glassaudio

any reliable impressions of the M1060C yet? I don't have time to pick through sbaf and headfi ramblings and "crunchy mids" impressions

Thanks for the clarification, user. Otherwise, i'd think they're $300 shitphones with no bass extension :^)

person who asked about the AKG K 240 like two threads ago here.

I found them on amazon and saw a seller selling them listed as "Like New" with a bit of a discount, I asked him to send me photos of the headphones and got pic related. He only sent one. should I pull the trigger?

It's not that they have no bass, just that they have rolled-off and modest bass.

does this even have a headphone output? also the o2 measures better so why are you recommending this $5k amp again?

Not "no bass", my silly user. The key word is "extension" as in, holy shit, these lack bass extension

Btw zh-270 is his stereo amp from years back, the microZotl is the headphone amp. I’m sure if you google you can find measurements. I got to listen to one at a canjam and I’ve been saving up to hopefully afford one soon.

No. They're bad headphones, like all AKGs.

they're like the open ones but without the 5KHz ringing and slightly less soundstage

Because I am drunk and my headphones stopped working (the right side didn't play any sound).

You should lay off of the drink, it sounds like you have some deep-seated anger issues to work out.

No, that is a stereo amp he used to build that I owned. His microzotl is his headphone amp that I recommended, I’ve been lucky to hear one and slowly saving up to buy one.

>bad headphones, like all AKGs.
And you would probably say the same of Beyer and many others. Sennshill opinion is irrelevant. You're the only crowds who diss literally every other headphone save for sennheiser garbage here.

As a result, any "bass" that's hitting you is purely a result of its mid-bass hump

i'm thinking on buying the LCD2C next

Is that the 1990 ? what are your opinions on it?

I know what the microzotl is. why are you paying for this crap? a SS will be better than a tube and measure better. do you A/B test your gear with a switch and blind?

Those models with the flaps on the side/top, seems like they'd be really comfy.

most detailed bass on a dynamic, high are not sibilant but can get fatiguing after long sessions, amazing for gaming

I used to own his amp, then was able to spend some time listening to the microzotl at a show. Looking forward to afford one,

that wasn't the question. do you spend time A/Bing with a switch after volume matching by using a multimeter + spl meter. you might as well do it if you're already spending thousands on source gear so you can save yourself some money.

The headphones have been giving me trouble for a long time.

As for my personal issues, I have been depressed, but I am actually doing better than for years. All I now need is some help with picking some good headphones to go with my PC gaming.

I have the 702 and it's remarkable how you don't feel them on your head. One of the few headphones I can say that about. It's the chinese made one without the bumps, I've heard people complain a lot about the older models of AKG that had headband bumps.

Actually hoping to find one second hand but I’m terrible at keeping up with Facebook groups etc.

>most detailed bass on a dynamic
Damn, that feels tempting as fuck.

No I spend time listening to music. But yes I do have an spl meter that I use.

>DSD
This is a meme, right? I mean, conceptually it doesn't make much sense.
>CD
44100 samples/second * 16 bits/sample * 2 channels = 1411200 bits/second = 1411.2kb/s
>SACD
2822400 samples/second * 1 bit/sample * 2 channels = 5644800 bits/second = 5644.8 kb/s

So SACDs are theoretically 4x the quality of CDs. HOWEVER, that's a simplification of "bits" and binary. 1 bit has 2 possible values, 16 bit has a total of 65536 values. You can't tell me that low of a bit depth wouldn't result in severe inaccuracies, regardless of the sampling rate. CDs have 32768x more possible values for the depth of a sound wave, that completely annihilates any advantage of the higher sampling rate.

even sony gave up on dsd, it's a dead meme

I hope that you continue to improve user, I believe in you! As for your replacement headphones, maybe try the Audio Technica ATH-WS1100iS? Otherwise, fill out the OP form for more specific advice.

Audiophools are extremely gullible. These are people who spend thousands of dollars on quantifiable, measurable electronic equipment like wires or amplifiers.

Why does this general have the exact same opinions as Zeos? It's kind of creepy actually. I mean, on Sup Forums you have people that disagree with RLM. On Sup Forums, you have people who disagree with Fantano. But on Sup Forums, I've seen people literally copypaste opinions on headphones from Z Reviews.

More like the living dead meme. There's still new gear coming out that advertise support for DSD and I still have no idea what people are supposed to do with it.

are you just plugging into one amp, unplugging and plugging into the other? you need a switch that doesn't pop when you switch sources. also you need to cover it with a cloth so you don't know which source is A vs B. none of this will eliminate bias completely but it will show you how much money you've spent and what it's getting you when you do this against something as cheap as an o2 which is $90

Good ol reliable rat shack, and some test cds from back in the day.

Zeos is a believer in amp retardation, doesn't care about FR measurements, and likes FOTM head-fi meme shit.

Them 702's look like a great deal, they're priced very resonably. I fucked up though because I actually must have meant the Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X

What the hell are you talking about? mentioning Zeos here will usually get you crucified. And rightly so because the dude basically likes everything, with a few rare exceptions he just praises everything.

it's more accidental than anything. like for example the stax shilling came about as a reaction to hd600 shilling but also because we love the best technically performing gear. it wasn't started by zeos, just an accident

Those feet in my mouth

Those the pinnacle px1? How are they - worth as an edc iem without an amp? Getting tired of carrying my 558s around

No, I don’t need to do blind a/b tests. But you should if you fell like it.

Also have ATs, they're comfortable but they don't feel as "absent" "not-there" as the AKG. The AKG have better designed pads too.

I was watching him talk with dsm3 on a stream. dms3 mentions how he really didn't like the magni 3 and was trying hard not to shit on it but he just couldn't do it. zeos was coaching him and saying "sometimes you just gotta tell people what they wanna hear. they don't want to hear that it's bad, they want to hear that it performs well for the price" and was egging him on.

How dishonest. Twinkboi should stop associating with him.

Thanks for your support, I think I am going to be productive member of the society in no time and thanks for the headphone recomendation, I will give it a closer look.

>I don't need to do blind a/b because I trust my ears
lol get the fuck out of here

nigger

That is because your worldview and purchase rationalization would be destroyed if you did.
Ignorance is bliss.

>sometimes you just gotta tell people what they wanna hear
Because telling them what they don't want to hear would result in a plummeting patreon and less people sending their headphones. Disgusting whores, dem youtubers.

Yeah, it’s easy to come to my own conclusion after spending time with gear in my system.

I can picture what you mean like an upside down head hammock lel. Nice collection, so are both of those side flap models Audio Technica's, is it exclusive to them?

Doubt it, but thanks for the concern. ;)

imagine being so dedicated to audiophile magical thinking that you refuse to A/B blind test in fear of realizing how many thousands you wasted

If only you had the same doubt before you made idiotic purchase decisions.
Pitiable.

;)

a conclusion formed by significants about of biases and lack of objectivity and understanding of how little you should trust your hearing.

You guys are funny :)

How much of a discount? I mean even if he knocked $20 off it wouldn't be that great of a deal considering you can just get the Monoprice Retro, Many Superlux models and the Samson SR850 for around $30. They all have the same retro design.

Still the gold accent is nice. Really wish the gayman red accent didn't win the poll on massdrop for the K7XX. Gold was like in third place, would have made the K7XX much sexier.

If it's a decent enough discount then I'd probably take the like-new if I wanted them.

no u

it's one thing to buy expensive gear and be fully aware that it's probably snake oil or not worth it. it makes you a good mark when you buy expensive gear and delude yourself into thinking it's good. audio companies love you, I have some $5k cables I'd like to sell you

>CDs have 32768x more possible values for the depth of a sound wave
no, that's exactly the point of delta-sigma modulation. the amplitude is completely encoded into the delta, imagine it like a pulse-width modulation on a pretty high frequency carrier. a totally different representation of the same information when compared to your typical time=samplerate and amplitude=bit depth - the higher resulting samplerate is just a side effect

I have half a mind to start a meme cable company and sell cables to retards like him. /hpg/ cables I'll call it.

The wing system is kinda unique to AT as far as I know. It's sorta hit-and-miss and the design changes a bit from a headphone to another. The AD500X sits okay on the head, it has no clamping and is light, with large earpads, the closed a550z is maybe too heavy and doesn't feel as secure. The R70X has much higher clamping force than regular AT wings and so it feels the most secure and least likely to fall off.

And yet here I am happy. ;)

Just got done putting some ZMF Oval Lambskin pads on my HE-400i after i got the glue meme from the stock pads. feels pretty comfy :^)

i wouldn't use them without an amp, they get acceptably loud but don't sound as good