Bash on Windows

How can Linux compete?

why would you want to use a shell that is not designed to use on windows?
just use powershell on windows for fucks sake

>root@x220
Figures a Windows fanboy would log in as root.

>How can Linux compete?
By having zsh

By being the only decent is for programming?

u mad GNU/boi?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

What can you do with the Linux Subsystem on Windows anyways?

It's not "bash on Windows", it's an entire Linux userland personality grafted on to NT. Microsoft considered this easier than actually fixing their OS to work with modern programming languages and web stacks.

Almost jack shit. It's actually inferior to Cygwin and is loaded with bugs. Most networking applications just segfault on launch or don't route packets correctly at all.

I'm struggling to understand why they bothered with it then.

To make people like OP think that Linux can't compete.

>unironically using bash instead of zsh in 2018

You graft on a shitty userland, then point to it and say, "Look, Linux is shitty!"

Typical Redmond move.

It was easier than making server side Python, Node, or Ruby behave nicely on Win32. This was a desperate attempt to claw webdevs back from Linux and Mac. There are "virtual companies" out there with little to no office presence and BYOD for remote work. Without a certain critical mass of Windows machines on the same LAN there's no need for AD and then all of Microsoft's actually lucrative products fall flat on their face.

Sounds credible. Thanks user.

I work for one of those companies, which is how I know. Other than O365 Outlook (proxied through davmail so I can just use Thunderbird+Lightning el oh el) I use zero Microsoft products day to day. My work desktop is actually Arch. I could probably use Gentoo as well but I already have a working config and don't want to fuck with it.

its shit, nothing I installed on it worked, even simple utitlities

>5Mbps disk IO

Good luck programming dot net

gotta learn to walk before you can fly, mang.

Git bash makes windows tolerable. But still windows.
/thread

Bash is very comfy, user. Also, it's all I know. Redpill me.

Yeah... I've been using Windows for a while because I got into playing a game... but I can't. Every little thing is worse.

Mono?

I mean, I honestly have no issue with win10, I guess the whole security thing, that not unjustified. But i like the ui, for what it is, runs smoothly for me when I do photo editing or light video stuff (also vidya, obviously) and I just deleted all the ads on my start screen. But I do dual boot bc linux has its sweet spots

>icon is ubuntu logo

>Using tor on windows

loonix is actually useful?

>WINE on Linux
How can windows compete?

>not GNU/Male

You mean windows doesn't have it?
How do they even live?

They have good IO performance.