>reddit.com/r/Guitar/wiki/index

Music Theory:
>justinguitar.com/

Guitar chords and inversions
>chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

String Tension Calculator (D'Addario based):
>hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

Floyd Rose Setup Video Tutorial:
>[YouTube] Floyd Rose Setup Part 1 of 7: Introduction (embed)
Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar

Impulse Response Pack
>mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods Cab 1.3.rar
>mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav (embed)

Free VST downloads (amps and effects simulators):
>vst4free.com/

ASIO drivers (essential to use VSTs while playing):
>asio4all.com/

JACK Tutorial for Linux audio production
>libremusicproduction.com/articles/demystifying-jack-–-beginners-guide-getting-started-jack

>Advancing Guitarist Mick Goodrick
mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8

>Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg

Others
>Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
>Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
>Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/classic-series-50s-telecaster-lacquer/0140063701.html
youtube.com/watch?v=k77EE3a7DUg
youtube.com/watch?v=6TOGGnQFEpc
soundcloud.com/bonnene/proggy
youtube.com/watch?v=6FJ9nQ4aubs
youtube.com/watch?v=jphrbNdXMc4
youtube.com/watch?v=wFHSzuXADPA
guitar.com/rigs/neil-halstead-slowdive-1993-rig-and-gear-setup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Television is just a pretentious version of AC/DC.

just bought this off amazon

did i dun goofed?

shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/classic-series-50s-telecaster-lacquer/0140063701.html

thread theme

youtube.com/watch?v=k77EE3a7DUg

get comfy

Nah, that thing's fine.

why does fender have the worst fucking colors imaginable

>yes, I would like my guitar to have the same shade as a hearing aide

The classic colors are based on classic car finishes.

uh, you'll be fine. Hopefully it won't need fretwork. afaik fender doesn't do any leveling or let the necks sit before fretting the necks so it can be kinda hit or miss on the classic player models. It's not a huge deal since most players aren't that anal about fretwork. But I think it's a smarter move to get a cheaper guitar and get it leveled. I don't really trust any manufacturer to get a small detail like that right.

Ibanez PF450, Orville, or Gibson like studio or some of the cheaper tribute series with 500t in bridge?
I have my eye peeled on history zls, and I am thinking about giving it nice bare knuckle or some high output seymour

>small detail
it's shit like this that makes me hate guitar manufacturers

>fretwork a small detail

IT'S LITERALLY THE ONLY WORKSMANSHIP I CARE ABOUT AT ALL

this is going to be my second guitar
did anyone played this one?

Well, it's not really worth the time it takes to let the neck sit a couple days before installing the frets. It's a pretty minor difference and most people won't notice. I mean, most people here will only adjust their truss rods a couple times a year. To notice the differences we're (usually) talking about here, you'd have to be the kind of guy who checks his action before every show. Though, letting the neck sit or better yet leveling the frets once the neck has been finished is not just slightly better all the time, it also really reduces how often lemons occur. It's one of the reasons you can buy really high end guitars with bad frets. Manufacturers see the way the neck settles after being cut as out of their control.

I hope you have a guitar stand

>being this anal about leveling
I don't wanna shit on your preference, and I agree Fender's frets tend to be a little high and nasty out of the box, but it's not like thy're burred or otherwise defectively fucked up/unfinished, and it leaves room for natural wear to do its thing. 99/100 players don't notice (pulled that number out of my ass, but I think it's a good guess). Again, don't wanna get into a big shitstorm argument about this, I respect your view, but it's not a deal-breaker for everybody.

Dudes, i'm a newbie on this and i'm trying to buy my first bass. i'm currently a student so don't have much money.

now i'm looking foward to this bas: Ibanez GSR 200 Soundgear 4.

It is barely in my price range but i think it is a smart choice. Here were i live in a direct conversion this costs 334.84 dolars.

your opinons. Sorry for any english mistakes.

Congrats! I don't know why ass ugly guitars aren't more popular.

it looks really nice in this one

What is the actually difference in a solid Epiphone Les Paul or a Gibson Les Paul. I feel like the epi would do just fine. Thoughts?

Build quality.

As I recall, epiphone is a specific budget brand. Not entirely sure tho.

Epiphone's usually poly finish, less choice wood, assembled with cheaper labor. Setup is done in the same place as I understand it. Gibsons do objectively play and feel better.

Is it worth the price? I imagined just getting the gibson lp pick ups and putting them on an epiphone. Then better tuners. Wouldnt it sound almost the same as the expensive gibson?

sound is pretty the same but there is a big difference in the playing dude

The question's really is it worth the price to you? If you want the look and sound, don't mind the logo, and aren't picky enough to worry about the touches, hell yeah get an Epiphone, no shame in it if you own it.

If I was offered one or the other as the only guitar I could ever own, I'd take the Gibson though.

that reminds me of a dream I had where I went to a guitar store and they all looked like this

How much difference is actually from the cables, and how much is from him playing slightly different each time?

youtube.com/watch?v=6TOGGnQFEpc

Nice. I like the headstock too, so many non traditional guitars really blow it on the headstock.

reminds me of this

Not sitting through that. If a cable is well-shielded with good contacts and the impedance isn't wildly different, doesn't matter.
t. got a bass player with a box full of dead Monster cables, sounds equally like shit through them as through Radio Shack brand.

haha, i was just searching for that guitar to post in response. never seen that ovation before, those saddles look weird?

Anything that doesn't fall apart is good enough for starting bass. The Jbass + Pbass pup config gives you a lot of versatility. I feel like Cort would get you the same product for cheaper though.

if your monster cable starts to fuck up can't you just cut it and make them replace it? they have a lifetime warranty no?

>Post gear
I love my Gibson, pic related. Best guitar I've ever played, feels much better than the Epiphones I've tried.

>Post desired gear
I'd really love a 7-string to have in open C/open B tuning. Would also love to have an Explorer since I love the look of those. Need to get myself a real amp too since I'm just playing through amp sims now. Money is problem though.

>How long have you been playing?
A bit over 6 years now.

>Fav guitarists?
Probably Devin Townsend.

>Projects?
I play in a melodic death metal band and we're currently in the process of recording our first full-length album. Just found a place to buy thicker gauge strings for my acoustic to tune it down to B for recording. Also working on a symphonic cheesy power metal project with a friend. Doing some random stuff by myself on the side, last I did was this trying out writing some more proggy stuff. If someone wants to listen: soundcloud.com/bonnene/proggy

That's why I said. My bass player's obviously an idiot or wouldn't have bought them in the first place though.

Well, like I (the user who pointed it out) said, I don't expect it from any mass manufacturer. I simply do all my fretwork myself, which is even more ideal since by the time I get my hands on the guitar it's already been under tension for a while and been subjected to some temperature variance during shipping. If it's a used guitar I can expect no short term changes to the neck. I've found when I bought a new guitar the truss rod needed adjustment once every few days for about a month, if you can believe it, so it must have been pretty new. I waited till it stopped needing such frequent adjustment to do the fretwork.

It does feel kinda good to be able to claim my bass plays better than most basses ten times the price, though I've never said so aloud until now. It's better to let people be happy with their purchases, like you said almost nobody is this anal about fretwork. Telling people shit like this is a good way to convince someone to blow a bunch of dough on stuff they don't actually notice while playing.

Is it supposed to look like an axe?

neat, I couldn't find out which guitar dagon uses.

Yeah, it's a useful skill to have, and I envy you a little, just not that picky myself.

Postn'

Sound will be exactly the same as long as the chambering/weight is the same. Vintage les pauls obviously have no chambering so you won't find many people apart from gibson claiming chambering somehow improves the tone. A lighter chambered guitar will have almost unnoticeablely greater resonance and weaker sustain.

The difference in value assuming you did do what you say and swap pickups is looks and fretwork. I hope this helps your decision.

i think it was just ovation memeing

as is their wont

It actually is an axe with a thin plastic shell. This makes it easier to play while retaining its brutal tones and usefulness in an emergency.

Epiphone is a basic starter brand, not quality in any way. There's nothing wrong with that when you're just starting out, just keep in mind they're made in China by what's essentially slave labor (no care was taken about anything when putting an Epiphone together) There are plenty of garbage Gibsons too though, if you don't know how to tell a good guitar from a bad guitar Epiphone is a perfectly good place to start learning.

my friend let me borrow his guitar distortion pedal

how easy is it to tell im playing bass?

youtube.com/watch?v=6FJ9nQ4aubs

>just some random improv shit, dont laugh at me please

With that being said, they're way overpriced (because Gibson). You could be going with a whole slew of other brands manufactured in China for a fraction of the cost.

Lol the hate. Yeah they're not $1000 guitars, yeah they are student/prosumer guitars, but they're not total trash. There are better guitars in the same range, but they're pretty fair for what they are.

Sounds like shitty Sleep

havent heard of them before

does it sound like a bass though? i want other people's opinions

Even though labor is cheap in china, right now there is a downturn in manufacturing and manufacturing jobs. A worker in an epiphone factory has even better reason than usual to try not to fuck up. For that reason epiphone is also able to demand normal standard of quality, though honestly they probably always have. Epiphones are pretty good, a bit expensive for what you get and with super thick finishes, but if you absolutely have to get a les paul that has the exact same shape they're fine, apart from the gay huge headstock that makes the balance worse and looks bad.
>image
veneers are a great way to save money without impacting looks or performance, I wish all flame tops used them.

Not hating at all, just telling the guy the truth about the brand. You're right, they're not total trash, but being around the $500 range they're pretty close to it for the price.

I see them $150-300 all day in local shops.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy to think they charge that much. For the same price you can get a fucking neck-though agile LP, with a real cap and better tuners and bridge.

>used to trying to figure out metal and mathrock
>get lessons because I'm sick of being shit
>teacher likes funk
>trying to teach me Niles Rogers (Get Lucky)
>kinda figure it
>Now he's trying to teach me blues improvisation / soloing
>my brain when he's trying to teach me blues with a 12 bar blues battle between us
>barely ever improvise
>not familiar with blues
>try to pull some notes out my ass
>he absolutely shreds and embarrasses me
>"learn how to do this"
guitar is hard
life is hard
help

There's epiphones priced all over the place. Different models.

How you into metal without knowing a blues scale. How do into guitar without knowing blues scale ffs?

Gibson literally moved their Epiphone factory to China when the workers tried to organize in Korea. They chose a slave labor force that would work even cheaper than the slave labor force they already had. You can try to spin that as "quality 3rd world workmanship" all you want but don't expect for anyone to take you seriously.
>around

I think Teles should have 70s style tuners and 6 saddle bridges but you're gonna love that one. Take it in right away for a setup.

I like it.

It's cool you wanna play bass through a Bassman but why do you think you need 2 4x10s?

>There are better guitars in the same range
that's the point of the hate. The Zakk Wylde sig is pretty nice though.

nice blog

Not him but I'm a metalfag and I'm all self-taught and know like no theory and have no idea what basically any scale is (that is, I don't know what any scale is called and stuff like that)

How did they create the weird "feedback" kind of sounds throughout this song?

youtube.com/watch?v=jphrbNdXMc4

Chinese labor is not slave labor

$500 is a ridiculous price to pay for any of them, yeah. That's what I'd pay for a low-mid-tier pro-quality guitar, and Epis are pretty much Gibson's answer to Squire.

....aaaaand filtered! Thanks.

Not him again, and also another mealgay
I don't learn the blues scale/pentatonic shape bullshit because I prefer building everything out of the major scale.

You have the full right to filter me if you want to, however, i was just asking a very legitimate question.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my post

kek is that dunlop brand cleaner? Nice set up though, I have to do all my work on the floor.

I know blues scale, I've just never learned to jam with it at all. I'm used to learning composed pieces from tabs rather than improvising at all.

get outta here, dumb anime guy

You copy enough solos by ear and you figure out scale shapes. The backbone of metal soloing is a blues scale (yeah, newer stuff things have changed quite a bit, but you do run into it enough to know it whether you know what it's called or not if you know more than five bands of any metal genre).

Sure, squirt. ;-P
You could have all sorts of neat guitars for $500. I don't know why people go for Epiphone.

youtube.com/watch?v=wFHSzuXADPA

m8 next time you filter someone just filter them. Having filtered whoever that was a long time ago posts like these are kind of annoying. A small reminder that the thread I'm enjoying is actually shit.

Yeah that's basically what I did. I can play stuff by ear and like "find" the different notes to make up different scales, but I don't have any theoretical basis for anything.

Because it looks and sounds like a Gibson.
Don't own a LP myself, but I've gone through a few different Epiphones as cheap beater backups, and no major complaints really.

>blogging is okay
>anime is not
This the the Sup Forums we live in.

For your purposes at your level, theory is just naming everything. If you know it you know it.

They look and sound like "bad" Gibsons, you mean. I admit there are more than enough shitty sounding Gibsons (especially Les Pauls) but you're out of your mind if you think the Epiphone brand holds a candle to the good ones.

Yeah, that makes sense.

top 10 guitars around $500 in your opinion?

>blogging is okay
>anime is not

that's it champ, talk some guitar now you little shit

God, obviously not. But it's the same reason everybody would buy imitation Nikes or whatever, only not nearly as dishonest on anybody's part.

Unabashed Fender whore (68 CDR, Jaguar Thinline and USA standard 2012 model with the belly cut).
Pedals: TU-3, Maxon ST-9 Pro+, Mad Professor handwired Forest Green compressor and TC Electronics Ditto Looper X2.

I regret not being able to buy an Albit MG1 while I was in Japan. Apart from that. I think I'd like another USA Standard Telecaster in blonde and white scratch plate with pickups I have yet to install (Charlie Christian and Little '59). Oh, and I should probably get a pedalboard and a power suply next, huh?

it's not feedback, it's pitch shift + delay.
guitar.com/rigs/neil-halstead-slowdive-1993-rig-and-gear-setup

It's actually not my setup, but that's my guitar getting built by my homies at the local shop. Great shop, they give me deals and free shit.

I don't know much about epiphones specifically, but the fact is gibsons use a very simple and well known design for their pickups. The thing about pickups designed in the 50s is that pretty much everyone knows how to make a copy that sounds as good as a gibson. So a lot of copies get this right. Another thing to keep in mind is that gibson pickups don't have or need particularly tight tolerances. They typically vary in resistance by up to a couple hundred k.

Fucking dig that jag, man.

Not him but that's kind of asking a lot. You should do your own research, there's lots of interesting guitars out there for that price and cheaper.

>thinline jag

what's the appeal of a body like this

probably looks cool under a blacklight tbqh

Here is my new Mexican that I picked up last night.

It took 3 hours to set up the bridge, but there is no buzzing. Worth it. It's a Japanese model, limited edition in the US. I've recorded with it, it's great.

The appeal is it looks cool, and the advent of solid body guitars opened the door to cutout shapes that don't have to follow function. A guitar should look flashy on stage, depending on the type of music. Why does everybody have so much trouble grasping this?

>Here is my new Mexican that I picked up last night.
Did it come with the case

Why is there a significant lack of guitar/amp unboxing videos on YouTube?

that the FSR?

great guitar, american guts too IIRC

almost got one but I went with a 72 reissue from craigslist

Gibson style guitars? Any "Les Paul Japan" search in eBay and you're automatically better of than Epiphone and still hovering around the same price point.
I don't even think "imitation" when talking about Epiphone. Expensive "Budget brand" would probably be closer.
The idea that PAF pickups are the source of a good Les Pauls tone is just snake oil used to sell pickups. It's a combination of a lot of different factors, pickups only being one.

>it looks cool
That's where you're wrong though

nice bridge

Can someone of you anons suggest good precision techniques?

Depends on whether you're a drunk white trash groupie who appreciates that kind of visual element and pays you to play music, a robotic autist who never leaves his computer desk, or something in between.

unboxing is the most retarded thing known to man. Pure consumer catharsis. If you enjoy watching unboxing videos, I guarantee you have no idea how to handle your money and buy useless shit.

>A guitar should look flashy on stage, depending on the type of music.
Do you live in the 80's ?

It looks good when it's in natural and has the extra strings.

I bought the case separately (its a road runner) and got a 10% discount because it's a bit banged up. I might go back and exchange the guitar because there is a nasty puncture in the wood that I didn't notice last night.

Also I have no idea why there are a lack of unboxing vids.

>80s
Yeah actually I kinda do. Don't own any flashy guitars of that style myself though, just trying to explain their purpose.