Obsolete technology. If you have some what do you use it for?

Obsolete technology. If you have some what do you use it for?

I've been thinking about acquiring some 90s tech, but I need some kind of rationale. I don't want to buy something if I am never going to use it.

>If you have some what do you use it for?
test bed for other legacy technology (read: self-perpetuating junk collecting)
>ISA/PCI/AGP cards
>PATA hard drives
>running old software that require an old OS on real hardware rather than in a VM

Writing a book? Offline PC would be great for removing distractions. Hell, even for stuff like programming where you want to work it out yourself and not search stack overflow everytime.

Lots of people will say classic gaming. I enjoy using different/obscure hardware and software for fun and research.

Plus I love trying to push the boundaries of old tech to see how they could run in todays world. You can do some surprisingly cool stuff on old hardware.

Apparently, George RR Martin does exactly this with an old DOS machine running WordStar.

Can't you do this with a modern PC just without ethernet? I'd say you'd be better served doing that due to ease of transfer (USB), and it'll still have the software worth using for that (vim, emacs, or emulate some software on DOSBox if so desired).

>he thinks it's complicated to transfer data from older computers
>he thinks older computers don't have advanced text editors
hi, how new are you?

>>he thinks it's complicated to transfer data from older computers
More complicated than a USB. Cheaper as well, because a USB instrument for an old computer would cost about the same as an old modern computer.

>he thinks older computers don't have advanced text editors
I never said that.

>due to ease of transfer

You'd just use a CompactFlash card for the "hard disk" in an older machine. No mechanical drive to fail, better speed, and you can just plug the thing into a card reader to transfer files.

If the filesystem can be read.

Good point, support for FAT16 (DOS's primary filesystem) was dropped with Windows Vista. Could use something like WinImage to read the card though. I believe it supports FAT16 removable media.

I use mine for ssh, its a nice cozy addition to my desk. I usually will just run tail -f /var/log/nginx/access.log and watch the raw feed on my web server.

I have an old 2006 imac, if that counts. It was $50. I use it for irc and casual browsing.

For a machine with 1gb of RAM and a core 2 duo, it holds up pretty well to today's standards.

Did you teach yourself C in 21 days?

>More complicated than a USB. Cheaper as well, because a USB instrument for an old computer would cost about the same as an old modern computer.
A USB floppy drive and a single 3.5" HD floppy will cost you around 7 bucks. That's as much as a cheap china USB memory stick.
If that's complicated to you, well, fuck, what are you doing here?

you can get usb drivers for older computers

It was a textbook I had to buy. Way too dry a book to go reading in but I'm sure it would make for a great resource if I didn't have google at my disposal.

I also have a box of about 80 old 3.5 disks.

I don't really use them... but I might do something like

It makes sense that shills who shill their useless os from the 90s would also use useless 90s hardware.

I think you're confused

That's illogical. It's not obsolete when you have a use for it. If you want to get something that you're going to use, it's not obsolete by definition.
There's plenty of people who use old hardware and software for fun or games.

If you where using windows 95/98 you can always just set up an SMB share on your Win9x machine, save your documents on the shared folder and then you can access the file on your modern OS through the network. Even though your network connected you still won't be distracted if you just don't install a web browser or block the Win9x machine from the internet

This is my shit. I love trying to use old high-end/weird tech productively, it adds excitement to mundane tasks, gives me incentive to write portable, readable, standards-compliant code and encourages me to venture into new use cases I wouldn't care for otherwise.

Old games are kind of boring, but I play some of those, too.

Some people just collect stuff. cause for the history factor.

ex - 3dFx Voodoo series. I got two V3 2000's sealed up in a box. Also got a Radeon 32mb SDR (non gimped version, some people get it and the V.E version confused) in original box.

I used to write nearly all my papers with dos edit

then i got to a point where profs didn't require written assignments anymore so i don't even have ms-word now

>Leaving SMB enabled on Windows

The builtin DOS editor (the one introduced in 5.0) doesn't even have any formatting does it? Also, I'm assuming you mean the graphical DOS editor, not edlin. If the latter, then you are some kind of masochist.

History factor collectors are the worst retards
Just play around with your shit, it's fun and actually entertaining, instead of jerking off to boxes

Museums already collect shit for preservation, nobody cares about your glass shelves with old shit on display in your manchild cave

You realize SMB is something that also works in DOS? Even on a old 8086/8088.
Microsoft Network Client is a thing you know, since decades.

Samba is almost available for every platform there is, so is FTP, that's even more widely supported.

t. buttblasted retrogamer poorfag
The best solution is to do both. Save still-sealed shit from retards who would desecrate it and buy an equivalent in shittier/unsealed condition for use.

Projecting much?

I buy NIB/NOS items all the time, only to use them. Not to jerk off to their sealed boxes.
Stay mad.

>retrogayming
is for you

I kind of miss small screens, in a weird and fucked-up way.

Alan Moore doesn't even have internet.

>reddit spacing
>literally crying into your keyboard with constant inflammatory language and strawmen
>visibly angry at some mundane shit that doesn't affect you
>claiming anyone but you is "projecting"
Stay mad.

I got a pentium 2 a few weeks ago. I plan on making a retro gaming build in the future with the cpu. That's probably the full extent to what they can be really used.

This is some retarded reasoning that never works especially in this day and age.
If a regular pc is gonna distract you, you'll just pull out your phone or tablet while you're using an old monstrosity.

>Save still-sealed shit

Thanks for the (You)

Wow, I think I broke this guy.

get the fuck off of your phone Justin and stop trying to derail the thread

I would like to have a PDA for simple typing on the go

i've been using DOS 6.022

no it doesn't have formatting, but i forget this and whey they say '15 pages of research', i use tiny-ass DOS fonts and end up with vastly longer reports by mistake.

it really helped build my verbosity.

oh and then i learned what 'double spaced' was... like what?

Just leave the phone in another room then.

>Wow, I think I broke this guy.

Just report and ignore the faggot.

One thing writing in plaintext did for me is that it took away all ability to substitute a reference for writing it myself. Rather than just link to something and say [as they said], and then move on I had to write it all down and put it in my own words.

Been getting into textfiles and Gopher as well.

post pictures of them justin
we know you want to join the circlejerk

Anyone have 3D models of retro tech? I like to emulate things in new hardware but ripping a shell from an poor defenseless peice of history is wrong, even if it doesn't work i still would feel bad, however if it's a new shell from china i could care less

Elaborate futher

He wants to be able to 3D-print enclosures of old shit he likes to build new projects into them, rather than gutting dead ones.

If you're weak willed enough to go and rationalise spending money on an old piece of shit to make yourself productive, you'd probably leave your phone in the other room for like 5 minutes and go back to being unproductive again.
Hoarding shit won't help the underlying issue.

>guys I have been thinking about buying some worthless trash I have no use for
>give me some reasons to justify my these dumb purchases so I don't have buyers remorse right away
No

this isn't a smartphone/gaming PC thread

This user is right

all just to stay off the Internet
just stand up and walk away wtf
get a different hobby

This exactly

Exactly. One of the things I am excited most is the prospect of making some programs on a NeXT machine since it has the development packages already installed. I want to try and make some web connected stuff. I just cannot wait to get my hands on the system.

>I've been thinking about acquiring some 90s tech,
>but I need some kind of rationale
what kind of fucked logic is that? why are you thinking of buying old gear in the first place, surely you would not consider it if you didnt have a reason?

Install gentoo

Reminder that modern floppy drives are often garbage
Just because they can't read your discs doesn't mean that they are actually corrupted

I just bought a copy of Windows 95 Sealed w/certificate of authenticity for $2 at a garage sale
It's got the boot floppy, the cd, and the manual

Is it worth anything or should I open it?
looks like pic related I found online

Might as well leave it sealed, you can get the files without problems from winworldpc

my g-d, you like collecting trash, you can come over to my place and collect the contents of the bins every day, free of charge

I have a USB one that works like charm for both HD and DD three and a half inchers

They threw in a 10 pack of 5.25 floppies in with it for free

minidisc sony just had to fuck it up on the software end

This. Are The Win 95/98 files bad rips? They both don't work on a virtualbox or native hardware. Windows 2000 works fine but you'll need to install some drivers/installers.

>Not buying Windows 2000

>They threw in useless crap for free.

Win9x CDs are not bootable, you need to use DOS boot floppies and usually also have to format the HDD before launching the setup from CD
By the way, virtualbox has no drivers for Win9x so use PCem (for muh authentic Pentium experience) or virtual PC

98 and ME are bootable.

Sure, if you use non official CDs

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken my dude

I'm pretty sure they were bootable. Boot from CDROM was rare at the time though.

Aesthetics, IRC shitposting and occasionally word processing.

>Win9x CDs are not bootable
Original Win9x CDs are bootable.
The thing is, that most computer on the other hand, couldn't boot from CD. Are you the same idiot who jerks off to sealed video cards?

No, you're mistaken
Bootable CDs exist but they are recovery CDs for specific OEM machines, not the retail Win9x ones

Windows 98 and up were bootable. Windows 95 required a dos boot disk w/FDisk & Format on them.

NT 4 was even bootable

Also for those who want to try windows 95 take note: Processors faster than 350 mhz/Pentium II you need to get an update from AMD (go figure right), that adds support for higher clocks. This applies for Win 95 A/B releases. OSR2 (B release) is only one that allows FAT32 and USB support but does not have IE 4.0/Desktop update baked in. C release has IE 4 baked in. Win 95 will take 512MB Ram and up to 40GB HDD (due to FDisk limit & older computers lacked 48bit lba support so hdd were capped at 120GB max)

I recently installed 98 on a laptop from the original CD, booted fine without floppy (as I didn't even have a floppy drive to boot from)

>SSH
Shit, I thought you could only use the old 68k Macs for telnet, or is that just something you can do with an SE/30 or other model with a better processor. I'd definitely get off my ass and fix the old Macintosh SE I have laying around if I could SSH into sdf.org with it.

is there a list of 95 compatible laptops? what thinkpads would it work with?

Look for a program called macssh, you will have to enable some slightly older encryption on your web server if you are using a private key. I don't see why it won't work for your SE, its a bit slow negotiating the encryption at first, but after about 30s you should be in and then its decently fast.

Ive been using this lately just put you minidisc and casette fags in their place. I bought this in 2000 and non ironicly filled up 3hour DAT tapes with vinyl rips and real time recordings of playlists i downloaded from napster.

I still use a CRT built in 1998 for playing games that only run at 640x480. Unlike audiophiles and their "analog warmth" bullshit you can actually tell the difference running such low resolutions on a purely analog display and a digital display that has to resort to blurry scaling methods.

He probably uses some shitty encryption, otherwise it would be unusable

Its ssh2 that you have to enable

Protein phosphatase Slingshot homolog 2?

>I kind of miss small screens, in a weird and fucked-up way.
I miss looking into the ass end of a particle accelerator to see what my computer is trying to tell me.

>muh crt memes
this is how you spot a underage

my joybook 23e isn't working but i'd use it for old disros and old games i can't play on windows 10
there is no emulators for windows 2000, XP or older

I have a NX6125 i'm close to getting working
just need a new charger and maybe battery

I live in a small flat so can't buy a desktop
I want a old pentuim MMX 200MHz machine again why is it so rare?

>why is it so rare?
it's not

where to find?
I can't buy from USA because shipping is too high

if you're in EU just buy from ebay or local sales sites that many countries there have
this shit is common as fuck compared to other shit

Bump on this for anyone that might have it

you can't shill for things that are not being sold new retard

I have an old incandescent lamp. It makes a very audible buzzing sound, it heats up everything upto 15cm under it, and it has a very satisfying to use switch which doesn't show any signs of failing. I've had it since I was 8 or something, before that it was owned by my uncle I think. I use it every night for several hours, it's buzz relieves me of stress and it's light is very strong yet soft.