Post bad UI

Post bad UI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ml92QEqE-RQ
i.4cdn.org/gif/1519569971634.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want pipey back

The fuck is wrong with that?
Why would you use an online tool to do compression thought?

>The fuck is wrong with that?
Programmer with zero skill in UX detected

So, you're telling me some opinion about having some abilities but you can't pinpoint what is wrong?
Amazing

Any modern site, where you have to scroll. For example Apple.com
All new GTK-3 with CSD.

>too many options on one page
>too many technical terms, 99.9% of people will not use or care about that
>element spacing is too dense, you NEED empty space in your user interface, it's not a question of maybe, you absolutely do not pack your interface jam full like that, ever, for no reason
A wizard with simple options and an "advanced" branch would be a MUCH healthier option

That's off the top of my head I could probably dig deeper if I really wanted to but good interface is mostly an intuition thing and you develop it as you develop many UIs and work with actual users

I find this pretty

Post moar

even webm for retards looks better than that

I want to try this out but I don't see any way to sign up or anything on the website...

t. Retard who have never used a video transcoding software before
Why would you need to do shit online when doing it locally is faster than uploading/downloading shit?

>muh video transcoding software has to be convoluted garbage
Proper UX design has its place user

>OP image
>Convoluted
t. Brainlet
Please just stop browsing Sup Forums, maybe would me more of your kind

It looks like a storage service too, if the compression algorithm is good, could be a neat way to back up my animu

and a distributed one at that...

OPs image IS convoluted, maybe your brain has simply deteriorated from years of exposure to poorly implemented UIs?

>it doesn't look like a toy so it's bad

Just how stupid can you be? This is an app aimed towards the GENERAL PUBLIC.

It's not an app aimed towards neck-bearded UNIX lich lords, it's meant for fucking general use. If you think that UI is acceptable for general use, then you're an idiot and your business will fail on first day

>app aimed towards the general public
A general public interested in compressing video.
No user. This is targeted at people who want an online interface to something like ffmpeg.

What you could say is that this should be the advanced feature set and that the basic should be presented before agreeing to this UI.

But we don't know the case here from the picture. So that's a silly complaint.

"Pied Piper's Space Saver App Hits Top 500 in Hooli App Store!"

how many fucking app stores do we need, is this the only way to access the platform?

The show this is from even explicitly went into the direction I'm talking about. The UI was too convoluted to use, and normies didn't understand wtf they're doing all because the whole system was designed from ground up from programmers to be used by programmers without giving it any extra thought.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ml92QEqE-RQ

A fictional show. Get the fuck out

That explains reasonably well the point in question here.

Look, for all I care shoot yourself in the foot and make terrible UIs

The characteristic common to good UIs (that you use every day by the way) is that you don't know they're there. If you have to stop and think about the UI, 8 times out of 10 it's bad UI and not a stupid user.

I miss when software wasn't designed for idiots.

No you don't

>oldsongs.mov

It's not real software unless you have to write at least 200 line config file.

No actually if you weren't retarded you'd see that that's the opposite.
What you're complaining about is information overload clearly. They're given all the information and you believe it's more than they've been asking for.
In the show users aren't being told about what's going on. Presumably they didn't give their test groups education on what the system is supposed to provide. That'd ruin the point of the tests.

Anyway bringing up this show is very misguided unless it deals with the exact problem here.
If you can't see how it isn't relevant at all. Or how even if it were relevant it's a fiction that's designed with facts SECONDARY to plot.
They could have the test group actually be retarded. Be given a task they've proved monkeys can solve easily and still fail. Maybe play it for laughs.
And when it's not even relevant why even bring it up? You designers must be incredibly stupid if you don't even have papers describing the problems here.
I remember reading a paper on the importance of edge features for interfaces with mice. Because, in short, the effective area of the edge features increases because the valid range of movement to access the features is in some sense infinite. But more meaningfully its width or height is infinite past an edge.

Why not find something like that to make your point? I'm certain this shit exists.
>no you don't
Spoken like a true UX designer. The user is secondary to motivating your own existence.

>I'M ACTING

Tell me user, why are you under impression that usable and clear UX is impossible to mix with powerful features?

>loldongs.mov

Why do you think the simple input output structure elf video rendering is in any way analogous to a 3D rendering suite.
It'd be stupid complex to attempt any of those interfaces.
With video rendering you either set an option yourself or there's a default. Ignoring certain things like filters. But this was for encoding.

Suggest how you'd retain the full power of the abstracted CLI as in your example and not make it something you need to learn.
Now this is likely a separation of concerns problem.

Eh, do you have any semblance of an idea of just how much the blender team could have fucked it up?

You just have no respect for UX designers, that's probably it. Probably because one of them called you an asshole in real life or something and now you're holding an eternal grudge.

UX is bloody important and if you think otherwise you're just being contrarian for the sake of it. There's a reason why cars have a wheel and foot pedals, and a stick you can reach with your hand.

shit, you beat me too it.

Not bad, just remarkably ugly

It actually improved a tad bit over the years

No it hasn't. Gnome3 requires a level of autism that isn't baked into the general populace. It's method of hiding windows and icons are stupid as shit. It has a huge fucking bar at the top that is just wasted space; so being the clever developers that the Gnome crowd are known for, they decided the best spot to put the taskbar would be in a foldout menu in the bottom left corner. Even a fucking drop down menu in the bar would have made more sense.

Looking at that makes me want to die.

>how much the blender team could ha e fucked it up?
Sure.
But it's completely irrelevant.
>UX is important
Never said it wasn't.
What I'm saying is that you're an idiot just like most UX designers I've met.
Hence our interfaces are terrible.
>grudge
No. They're usually nice people. Just like Lennie in of mice and men. You should probably also be put down before you hurt more people.
Though to be fair I haven't seen your results. Your process of seeing if the UI jives with your inaccurate perception of a TV show leads me to believe you're probably no good.
>UX for cars
Yeah the people who started this were engineers. Early prototypes were difference for convenience of design reasons. Not for user experience.
Don't take credit where you haven't earned it.

Guys you are missing the point. There's no reason an average user needs this much control. Why do I need to figure out if it should use variable bitrate or not, or quantitzer settings, or figure out the proper colorspace, etc. There should be sane defaults with some high level options for setting the quality/speed/size tradeoffs. And even that should have sane defaults.

If you have to have this information, make it a step by step process through a wizard. With explanations of each step. And a normie can probably get through without being scared off.

surprised this was posted so late in the thread

>You just have no respect for UX designers, that's probably it.
Not him, but have dedicated UX designers ever done something deserving respect?

The show has gone to shit though.

The writers are a bunch of hacks who just reset the plot at the end of every season because they only know how to write this one scenario. It's like a sitcom that pretended to have a real plot.

>you're missing the point
>they don't need this control
Oh no we're not missing the point at all. I said exactly this.
>there should be sane defaults
If this was targeted at idiot users sure.
But if you present this interface you're not targeting idiot users. Nothing wrong with the interface unless there's a mismatch with marketing.

Would you be mad at ffmpeg or libav for not giving you a stupid people interface?
Imo you shouldn't. They're not aimed at stupid people. What you were looking for is someone else's wrapper.

Trying to use Logger Pro on OSX is profoundly annoying. Major functions of the program are weirdly spread between it's own menu bar and the entire OS menu bar. These vital menu options are inaccessible while the app is in full screen. It refuses to let you close certain windows unless some other window is also closed and interacting with the wrong window can make another window just disappear one you. Trying to multitask with a document or a web browser is just a pain and to top it all off the thing crashes for seemingly no reason. This single program makes me want Apple to go out of business and they didn't even make it.

>Programmer with zero skill in UX detected

t. Add meaningless space, add extra clicks hiding inputs and gay transitions.

That isn't even its final form.

Still a better typesetting system than LaTeX, though.

Good, normies shouldn't be able to use computers.

too late, someone put gnome shell

do you know that you can remove all elements on this pic

I think you’re in the wrong place. and are that way.

Also, what show are you talking about.

>tv show has better design (5sec screen-time) than every single gpl software
Top kek

OP's pic is from a tv show where there horrible ui design is a major plot point

Never been able to get to grips with this disaster

Are you retarded?

Nice ad hominem, my darkxican american friend.

This is what you get when babbies cry that a cli program needs a GUI

>Click on '?' for help ->

kek

>not using Advanced Renamer
Found the problem

Shitty low contrast color scheme
Too many options nobody gives a fuck about outside of niche cases immediately visible
Overly dense

>he has ALL the power and functionality of the command line at his finger tips but uses this....

Not everyone is a CLI autist, user.

71 replies and no one posted it yet

FUCKING THIS
i.4cdn.org/gif/1519569971634.webm

this

GUI software has it's place, for children and the mentally disabled.

No matter how much you configure it, Outlook 2016, and for that matter Excel, remain pretty shitty in terms of UI and general usage.

came here to post this

maya fags btfo

t. too retarded to figure out how to use a GUI

You should have posted plasma 5. kde 4 looked great

thisthisthis. All of Microsoft Office's UI looks god awful

>I'm too retarded to figure it out so it must be shit.

this this this.

I get physical jitters just looking at this

>The fuck is wrong with that?
KDE user detected.

No post button

This piece of absolute garbage

reminds me of the first program/system i coded and defended

whole system is in one window

A S P E R G E R S

Kind of aesthetic desu senpai

>This is an app aimed towards the GENERAL PUBLIC.
>it's meant for fucking general use
I'd estimate that only about 0.0001% of the world's population ever have the need for something like that. I'd say it's pretty niche. Also you clearly don't know shit about encoding stuff if you think that that's overly complex; that's the simplified version retard.

Was that a UI for experts or for your general user?
For general users it is cluttered with options they dont even comprehend, and never will.
So what do yo do? offer a (over)simplified UI with one, fucking button that says "you are special, we love you the way you are" and another one that leads to OP image that says "let the grown ups talk ok?"
Too ironic?
Then the oversimplified says "compress media" and the other says "expert mode", you massage both user's ego, everybody wins.