So else is running Windows on a Mac Pro?

So else is running Windows on a Mac Pro?

Have a 3.1 and just put 64GB of RAM in the sucker but now Windows 7 boots painfully slow even though it's installed on a SSD and seems to struggle even in idle.
When I remove two 8GB sticks and put two 4GB sticks in making it 56GB in total it runs fine again.
Mac OS X 10.11 on the other hand seems to run fine even with 64GB installed.

Did anybody else have the same problem in the past? Any solutions?

Other urls found in this thread:

raidsonic.de/en/standards/searchresults.php?we_objectID=2689
raidsonic.de/en/standards/searchresults.php?we_lv_search_search=IB-2536StS
amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Desktop-Converter-Mounting-BK-PCBS/dp/B00UN550AC
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

NVM I just solved the problem thread can be deleted.

MacPro 1,1 here
20GB RAM, OSX11 SSD+HD, Win10 SSD+HD
Nvidia 1050Ti
USB3+eSATA card
>so comfy

Have a BD drive installed so all my molex ports are already in use.
What USB3 card are you using?

This, too, along with a SATA to PATA converter.

The card is an Asus U3S6 - but good luck finding one. You need to use a 3rd party driver for the USB3 part to work under OSX 10.11, but it works. It doesn't work in OSX 10.10 - only the 6GB SATA works there.

The Nvidia won't work with OSX, but I still have a UEFI flashed Radeon 7570 to swap when I need to jump to OSX.

Run memtest.

Thanks will look out for one.
Yeah I use a GTX660Ti which uses up both 6pin power cables and have a spare 8800GT for when I need the boot screen. Maybe the GTX750Ti I still have laying around would be a better option.
> OSX11 SSD+HD, Win10 SSD+HD
That is a pretty slick solution maybe I will do the same. So far Win7 in on the SSD and OSX 10.11 on the HDD. How did you mount your SSD?

I just checked maximum memory under msconfig>start>advanced settings and now it works fine and boots fast. Only 62 of the 64GB RAM usable but that is fine by me.

What did you do you nigger

I grabbed a 1,1 for free. Had a bad gpu.
Replaced it with a 4870 and tossed more ram in it. Running 32GB at the moment, Win7 Pro.

I use it as a game server for my coworkers.

>I grabbed a 1,1 for free.
Why do I keep reading posts like this where are those people giving away and why do I never meet them all I see is even the oldest ones being sold for atleast $200+ REEE

>ssd
do mac 1.1-3.1 even run in ahci mode?

How did you dual boot without using a bios compatible graphics card? I'm running a 950 and I want to have windows with osx if at all possible but I'm not using that piece of shit gpu that came with it just to switch operating systems

use bootcamp to install windows
restart to osx from windows once your installation is finished
select the hdd/ssd with windows on it as the start volume

Dude brought it to me for repairs, just to see if it was worth fixing. Apparently a hundred bucks for a replacement gpu wasn't worth it to him.

Funnily enough he also got it for free from a mutual friend.
The next week I got two 2,1's given to me just because they didn't want them anymore (Company offers free electronic recycling). One had a bad stick of ram but outside of that they've been running no issues.

>Funnily enough he also got it for free from a mutual friend.

>The next week I got two 2,1's given to me just because they didn't want them anymore

Oh wow and I thought the 800MHz G4, 1.8GHz G5 and 2GHz DP G5 I got for 35€ last month to tinker around were a good deal.

OWC adapters were kind of hard to find, so I got more generic 3.5 to 2.5 adaptors. Like these, but with screwholes on the bottom.

raidsonic.de/en/standards/searchresults.php?we_objectID=2689

I'll search my email to see if I can find the exact part number. But OWC would work fine, you can get them, get them.

>with screwholes on the bottom.
Exactly what I was unable to find. All I saw had the holes on the side and the SSD aligned wrong.

I used to use a PC Radeon 5770 flashed with mac-compatible firmware to dual boot. But since the latest version of Windows 10, the AMD driver no longer works with the 5770. So the MP 1,1 no longer dual-boots to the current version of Windows 10. But if you're on Win7, it should still work.

>Mac
Found your problem.

OK, I new I had to return them at the time because the first ones came with screws on the side.

I can't find the box mine came on, but the invoices seem to say:
First I ordered the IB-2536StS
>screws on the side
Then I replaced them with IB-2535StS
>screws on the bottom
But on the manufacturer's site, the -35 has screws on the side (?!?)
Maybe it's the -36 (if you can find them) that have the screws on the bottom.

>IB-2535StS
thank you.

raidsonic.de/en/standards/searchresults.php?we_lv_search_search=IB-2536StS

No, the -36 is now a completely different product. Get the OWCs, safer that way.

Wtf are you on about

MacPros are a bit finicky with mixing different sizes of FB-DIMMs. For a start, you should never use 512MB or 1GB FB-DIMMs if you have any 4GB DIMM. Also, you have to keep them paired correctly
Sometimes you have to play around with the order of the DIMM pairs for them to all be recognized and be stable. A computer from 2006 can go to 32GB of RAM, but some assembly required.

These should also work (not tested)
amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Desktop-Converter-Mounting-BK-PCBS/dp/B00UN550AC
>Sabrent 2.5” SSD & SATA Hard Drive to Desktop 3.5” SATA Bay Converter Mounting Kit (BK-PCBS)

Even better, thanks a lot.