The size of smartphone apps has increased by 1000% in 4 years

The size of smartphone apps has increased by 1000% in 4 years

And the price of SD cards has dropped by like 1000% and if you buy a fast card you can use it as internal storage and install apps to it
Unless you use some shitty phone without SD slot
They also do far more than regular apps released during the earlier Android days

Why the fuck does Facebook take up so much space I don't use it but I always have to micromanage relatives who buy shitty eight gigsvyte phones and get faceberg

Ah yes, remind me which IOS phones have this vital feature to deal with IOS app file size bloat?

>Unless you use some shitty phone without SD slot
so that's most phones except the low and and samsung

>bloat is okay because you can just buy new stuff
Good goy.

BLOATMAXX

More resources never means better performance, just ever lazier developers.

Good for hack developers like me : ^ )

> He doesn't have a 128gb card already
You don't have to buy a new card every time you buy a new phone cuckboy

>tfw someone tried to shill me into getting an iPhone SE because 2GB of RAM is all you need
Sure glad I got a oneplus 3 now.

Also I think you're all overreacting, file size has gone up as more functions/features and content have been added.

>Crysis unironically still blows a lot of modern PC games out of the water
>can get 1440p60FPS with maximum settings on it with my 2015 PC
>struggle to get 1080p60FPS on medium on the new shitgames

It was always shit because even 100 MB+ is bloat for what the app does

What features the Gmail app could've added to warrant a 5x increase from 40MB to 200MB? A free 1080p YIFY release with every install?

>plaintext notes app lags on a phone with 2GB of RAM
>but that's fine because you can buy a phone with 8GB of RAM!
no

like I said more functions/features and content

see temple OS vs full linux distro/wankblows

Your fault for buying a phone without SD slot

Unused storage is wasted storage.

Yeah, fuck limited natural resources, buy more shit!!

Unused natural resources are wasted natural resources.

that's because new pajeet programming pattern, excessive usage of frameworks.
so you are using to do X frameworkX, to do Y frameworkY and so on. at the end you get multilayered bloated pile of the shit code.
I'm mobile developer so I know what I'm talking about.

i blame static linking

Facebook what the fuck is going there

Also the normal Google Search app itself is around 200MB

You can fit a whole linux headless install into 200 mb, what could possibly warrant using this much for an email program?

>jewbook is unironically 300+MB

show was ahead of its time
jews ruin everything

Same thing fucking applies einstein. Granted a lot of these extra bells and whistles are rarely used by people.

This is a continuation of what has happened with regular computers. Shitty companies and programmers will use (or misuse) the available resources to make their jobs easier. Many of the libraries people use are insanely bloated. Everything is now coated in a greasy layer of malware, which is what makes google and facebook shit so big. There are some new features, yes, but they are mostly new features that google (or whoever) is using to better extract your data. The funny part is that all this data is good for absolutely fucking nothing and the whole shitshow is going to collapse within the decade (original prediction do not steal). Anyway, once 99% of humanity is dead due to war or environmental devastation, maybe the survivors will be smart enough to use some cool lightweight distributed internet shit. Probably not though.

>Burnout Paradise
>60fps on any piece of shit computer you can find while still looking nice

It looks better than PUBG, and I know they're of different scopes, but you could easily scope Crysis up to PUBG's level and it would still perform much better than "literally no GPU can run it", which in Crysis' case was due to being ahead of its time, and not due to lack of any optimization whatsoever.

kys

Unused kys is wasted k-

ys

What the fuck more does uber need?

>don't use a single one of those
Feels good man.

>yfw when we finally get UFS cards we won't notice any improvements because the bloat will be that large

>pajeet app devs are making shitty programs so large thet they are causing a global RAM shortage

Blame bad developers
Also the fact that the standard memory sizes for many phones, especially iPhone has stayed the same is a bit rediculous
I have practically no apps and I'm still constantly at my memory limit

Isn't this also because apps are now universal, meaning an .ipa stores both iPad and iPhone assets?

Good art direction combined with Solid optimization

who cares

>tfw another year in the RAM mines to pay off my iPhone

Facebook wrote some insane cross-platform compatibility layer on top of iOS and Android so that they can write code for app once and build both iOS and Android apps from the same code base.

That compatibility layer has continued to creep up in size, and the layer alone is now over 150MB compiled and compressed.

This
/thread

Snapchat is one of the worst apps ever coded and to use. I hope to god that shit dies this year.

Unironically none of them (including gmail,gmaps and youtube apps) ever landed on my Android devices.

All that bloat. Why the fuck does Gmail need 20x times more storage space for? Just show me my mail in the form of text, fucking kike niggers

You can't even begin to compare them. PUGB is a game where you gotta load an entire world that's much bigger then any map in Crysis and you then need to have much higher draw distances because of the nature of the game. Crysis is single player only last I recall? So, therefore, they know exactly what you'll see at any time, at any point in the game and they can choose not to render parts of the map, in which, they don't think you'll have much need for or notice. Since PUBG is a competitive game, this isn't an option.

When post app paradigm arrive?

Pubg looks like fucking ass and runs like it too

They dropped Google maps and now use a personalized map database.

Shit is better than trash ass Google maps too.

>Google maps
>Trash
Are you pretending to be retarded?
There's quite literally no better mapping service.

>>tfw someone tried to shill me into getting an iPhone SE because 2GB of RAM is all you need

IOS memory management is not Android. You don't have to worry about closing applications in the background to improve memory management. Nor do you have to worry about developers bloating up the RAM requirements because Apple forces them to optmize it. Safari can have a dozen tabs on a 2GB ram Iphone SE have zero performance issues.

The real problem with IOS devices is that they have limited storage and app sizes are bloating up.

Nah it sucks ass.

In what way does it suck ass? I use it on the regular and I've never had any problems whatsoever with it.

Not him but it's the routes, they took me into highway exit and road are trash. It says faster but nope. There's a one like navteq garmin etc

Won't even tell me where any Ubers are. I ain't been tryna walk nowhere on that maps shit.

Interesting to note the size of all these phoneapps have doubled and in some case doubled tenfold but their quality and usefulness follow a static or recessive trend.

Good, more companies need to drop goolag services.

>Facebook, Uber, Gmail and all this gayshit
Literally who cares
Not even one sane people use it

I can't think of any other than PUBG
Yeah, but PUBG looks a lot worse than most modern games. Awful art direction and it runs terribly.

Even the Crysis demo had multiplayer, user.

No, the insane people are ones not using them.

What is this data? If you look on the app store, Netflix is a 102 MB download. Are they confusing RAM usage with file size or something?

You're a fucking idiot lol

Theoretically, it's here already. You can make websites that feel like native apps using React and shit. But everyone would rather make a shitty mobile site and bug you to download an app.

>implying people who use Instagram and Snapchat are sane

They are. It's the crazy people that aren't. I don't think anybody on this site is sane. Why would sane people ever be here.

Look at your post. You just greentexted and used the >implying meme something that is only specific to this site. It's a learned behaviour and you've probably done it thousands of times. How is that sane?

Uh, user, learning behavior is sane.

Retards really need to stop hurling insults over choice of software usage. Snapchat exists for social reasons, not technical ones.

there are no 13yr boys or girls posting naked pics so thats + point on Sup Forums

at least not in the boards i roam

>tfw have all of these but Spotify

What the FUCK is up with these sizes

All technology stagnates and becomes bastardized immediately after the normies flock to it.

See you just said there aren't underaged nudes on Sup Forums. Stuff like that lets me know you're not sane which is why you're here.

other languages are crammed up into the app

My phone is jailbroken can I use iFile or iCleaner to delete the extra languages by hand?

really, man?

its possible but wouldnt you need to update those apps again?
You'll eventually have to delete the language files every week or so

shit youre right

All of the apps together used to be less than 200MB, now they're 2GB total. Netflix isn't the largest app, Facebook is.

>It's a learned behaviour and you've probably done it thousands of times. How is that sane?
You could say the same thing about people who compulsively browse through their Instagram and Snapchat feeds. Sanity's not about media consumption choices, though some places could enable deviant behavior more than others like here.

Did I miss it? Are we past the age where lone wolves can do immense damage with clever worms and exploits? Can basement dwelling neets no longer deface fortune 500 websites? Is hacktivism a done trend?

Its beyond me why the plot linearly instead of logaritmic.

that is a bad graph

Are you legitimately retarded?

Are you?

That's not how it works you cunt.

That's not surprising. Bloat and quality tend to be inversely related.
PUBG is an abnormally ugly and poorly optimized game. The average game looks better than Cryisis nowadays.

>Doom
>detailed texture and model
>good lighting and particles effect
>overall bretty good graphism
>runs perfectly fine even on toaster pc (despite denuvo at the time)
>runs on the fucking switch
Sometime, good dev are in charge

What kind of mail client needs 100+ MB to work?
Even if you do all sorts of fancy stuff you can't get to that, what kind of thing is Gmail doing?
There's literally no desktop client that needs so much storage space, even browser+mail combos like Opera and Seamonkey need so much

One of my relatíve is a programmer. He show me, that most of them are lazy fucks.
Like there was a part in a program feature that was eating up lot ram and it was kind of slow, then he showed my his and his friends reworked code which was using half of resources than before.
So yeah, people nowadays are lazy/ don't know how to optimisile at all.

Actually, a lot of the fault in this is on management, they just push for new features hastily made while punishing bug fixing and optimization

>make bad code
>blame it on management

>punishing bug fixing and optimization
source?

deadlines are a thing user

sometimes there isn't a lot of room for optimization