Dumbphone thread

Does anyone own pic related? I'm mirin the aesthetic, although I can't use it in my country because GSM has been shut down (apparently there's a 3G version in the works). I've tried a few dumbphones and they're mostly pieces of shit - not feature wise, as all you want is calls/text/alarm/contacts, but shipping with shitty, slow chink firmware, shitty build quality, etc.

It would be great to be able to use an older GSM dumbphone in Australia, but we're limited to these shitty, mostly Android based new 3G candybar phones.

Call it a lack of self discipline, but I've found not having a smartphone to be very relaxing and better for my productivity. Is anyone else in this mindset or am I a faggot?

Also went through 2 of these, but the call quality made it basically unusable, and apparently this is a common issue in my country. Pretty decent phone aside.

I'd be crazy enough to buy a 3G Punkt if it had a microSD slot and a mediaplayer.

>pretty decent phone aside from being unable to perform its main purpose
do you hear yourself?

I like the LG wine smart. It's actually a clamshell phone running Android. Screen is so small tho you won't use it much for procrastinating.

yes, if it weren't for that issue it would be a good phone. firmware design is passable, it's fairly responsive, good battery, etc.

>Call it a lack of self discipline, but I've found not having a smartphone to be very relaxing and better for my productivity. Is anyone else in this mindset or am I a faggot?
Definitely a self discipline issue, but you've identified it and have employed a work-around so good in my books. I work with many people who can't go 15 mins without checking their phones.

I know a few people who work at those cell-phone kiosks in malls. They get requests for dumb phones (phone/txt only) all the time, it's actually increasing.

I once worked with a guy who supplemented his income by collecting old flip phones & repairing them & then selling them to the "old farts" or people with court ordered technology restrictions. The providers aren't keen on it as data plans here in Canada are like a licence to print money for them.

>went through 2 of these
they are less than a year old. how much do you beat your tech

desu i never even used my smartphone that much, it's more of the "there is no possible way i can check facebook/email/etc right now" mentality that i find alluring

should have clarified, i couldn't receive calls on the first (other person could hear me fine, they were garbled on my end). tried a different provider and had the same issue, got the phone exchanged and had the same issue.

Those android-powered 200USD+ dumbphone in Japan are great. But a problem is most except one of them are carrier-locked.
>Sharp SH-N01

From what I heard its design is still a bit too touch-centric for the taste of a dumbphone?

running android almost defeats the purpose of using a dumbphone

It actually depends. Some dumbphones place heavy restrictions on functionalities users can use on android.
The problem is, there are very limited amount of solutions for 4G dumb phone exists.
1. There are android or YunOS-based solution. But as you said they are android. Also, typically they are outdated version if it is running android (4.4/5.0), or you get the YunOS botnet which have a history of deleting user app from remote
2. Another option is KaiOS. Based on Firefox OS but it seems to be using outdated version of gecko on released devices. So far only a few devices, including an Alcatel TCL phone, an Indian Jiophone, and the 8110 use this. It also have the disadvantage of limited social network/chat app support, as people now used those apps instead of SMS to get in touch with others. Also, I haven't tried them yet so I won't know, but devices using Firefox OS back then weren't exactly smooth. Not sure about this KaiOS's performance
3. Third option is made your own platform. Constraints will be cost and support and compatibility and such, but device makers can control and optimize the experience.
That's why most developers choose option 1. It can be made good, but LG Wine Smart unfortunately is just a smartphone in a clamshell body with little efforts spent in optimization for dumb phone purpose according to feedback so it doesn't suit the purpose

Where the 4G/LTE GSM dumbphones?
(screw cdma)
They shut down all of the 3G in my city.

I'd rather go for a landscape keyboard or flipphone with android GO phone at this point.
256/512MB ram and im good for a week or so on battery.

Can anyone recommend a dumb phone that can into group texts and has decent t9 implementation?

Does the reminder say "Write your mum's obituary"?

>LTE GSM
what

That Nokia 8110 4G is most obvious answer at this point
Or you can also choose Jiophone, Alcatel onetouch go flip, and a few others

>Grouptext
what

That's exactly what I was thinking, kek.

Sending sms or mms messages to multiple people and having them reply back in the same conversation as opposed to multiple individual messages

People with more than one friend do this sometimes

Ah, those days of butt-dialing
>hello?
>hello?

>People with more than one friend do this sometimes
>>>/reddit/

Literally bought a Talkase t3 today because my iphone since its latest update is terrible, also my hand hurts from overuse.

Looks ideal, although chinky as all hell and only 96 hours standby (still beats a smartphone I guess). Does anything else like this exist?

I had one of those but it's garbage on t-mobile. The 3g isn't compatible and I dropped calls constantly. I went back to the smartphone but deleted all the cancer apps that took all my time away.

Why does that phone cost $200+ when smart phones can be bought for less?

I want a touchscreen android clamshell so bad

>my hand hurts from overuse

You're a dumb aussie drongo that wasted his dollarydos on a phone he can't use; way to go ya bogan.

stop posting this faggot

are there any modern feature phones that support a full web browser that doesn't break page formatting catastrophically?

My country still supports 2G, what feature phone and/or dumbphone should I get?

Any recommendations with tethering capabilities?

All of those KaiOS based phones have Firefox and all those Android based phones have webkit
Would recommend go to a shop that sell dumbphones and try it out

try out the phone in OP, or maybe the 3310. i've seen some info somewhere online that HMD might be releasing a 4G tether-able 3310 at some stage.
i feel like this defeats the point of a phone like this, why not just get a smartphone?

Every old phone can tether over bluetooth.

While it's slow it still works.

Mine maxes out at some 150-200 kb/s but it's still usable since most of the sites I visit are already cached and I also use chrome plugin for compression.

HND have already released a 4G 3310, but that is exclusive to China, support only the Chinese network standard, sold in specific Chinese store, and is preloaded with Chinese-made spyware

How do I know how old I can go?

I'm sick of smartphones and want to go a phone as far removed from smartphones as possible .

I'm in South Florida

I'm currently using a 25$ ZTE prerelease device, running some odd Android based super-stripped down version that doesn't even include the email client. I just need to be able to flash my own ROM, got the flasher but no docs about how to build a ROM. I also got the IMEI changer, oddly enough.

Phone is a standard candybar with 4G, wifi and BT.

You don't need to link your phone to your Google account. It helps to avoid a lot of bullshit if you turn off Google Play and Play Services.

SpareOne? I'm not sure if you can receive calls via it