/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/hd650-kiss-mod.3440/
amazon.com/Headband-Replacement-Beyerdynamic-DT880PRO-Sennheiser/dp/B01LZEDQXJ/
ethanwiner.com/EQPhase.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
Miku

Record labels don't record their music with dynamic microphones: why would you listen to music with a dynamic headphone?

>idol trash here
more like greasy fatso with abs keycaps trash and soyheiser headphones

D:

WTF are those toenails

>Soyheiser
What's your soy like, user?

Record labels also don't master their music for those 7 people who own non-dynamic headphones.

I dont like soy
i eat my sushi without soysauce

>Budget
$200
>Location
Europe
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
It should be very comfy. I spend too much time with headphones on. Also I really like the Audio-Technica / AKG feature with auto sizing to the head.
>Sound signature
I'm treble sensetive, but also a bass-monkey (insert Jamal jokes here). Mainly listening to techno, dubstep (british shit, not the brostep), drum and bass and juke. Also playing a lot of FPS vidya where the sound precision is important
>Past headphones
Audio-Technica AVC500, I liked them but they broke.

Leaning towards DT770 Pro right now.
Here's the anime feet in advance.

consider msr7 also

>I'm treble sensetive
>Leaning towards DT770 Pro right now.
First thing not to buy when you are treble sensitive are Beyerdynamic headphones. Second are studio AKG headphones.
To be honest I don't know what else to recommend, I don't even have closed headphones anymore. People here seem to like takstar pro82 but 90% of them probably doesn't even own those and just parrots the hype.
Point it, don't get beyers if you can't stand treble.

I ( ) do own msr7 and can recommend them, if you absolutely need closed headphones.
But chances are you don't, and should get hd600 instead.

a990z

>should get hd600 instead.
This. They are the best headphones in the world.

change your keycaps please

i can get LCD-2 and HD800 for the same price but i can't decide. what would you pick, /hpg/?

>runa
opinion discarded

>runa
I'm doing her route now, and hating it. Worst route so far
>opinion discarded
Whatever, user.

well at least you understand that. maya > all else

Never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality control, performance, and customer service
>Schiit defenders are becoming poster children for post-purchase rationalization when shown their buys aren’t worth the money

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses
>As we see, tons of jitter and distortion products are visible together with higher noise floor. Even the Topping D30 at $129 shipped runs circles around it in how clean its output is relative to Schiit BiFrost Multi-bit.
>There are DACs literally at 10% of the cost that do much better.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

Yeah, maya a best so far.
But midori wasn't bad. At all.
Nobody here will recommend their high end high profit experimental devices.
But the Magni 3 is a good amp, and the Fulla 2 a decent do-everything USB amp+dac, both excellent value / price.

>But the Magni 3 is a good amp
prove it
>the Fulla 2 a decent do-everything USB amp+dac
wrong
>both excellent value / price
double wrong

>But the Magni 3 is a good amp, and the Fulla 2 a decent do-everything USB amp+dac, both excellent value / price.
haha no

post measurements

Thanks for the input, probably gonna go with msr7.

Glad to be of help.
Just consider HD600 when you feel like upgrading to open.

New tubes have arrived. Now only 10% THD at 2Khz. It's like plankton swimming in my ears.

You know it's bad when you see a tube post and it feels refreshing.

I’m still using Soundmagic E10. Surprised they’ve lasted the few years I’ve had them. I should probably get another pair of headphones at some point since nothing good lasts forever. I always feel headphones are a tricky thing to buy.

What’s with these threads always being linked with headphones+anime girl(s)+feet

Toobs...
Socket saver ftw for maximum exposure.

>What’s with these threads always being linked with headphones+anime girl(s)+feet
Started on Sup Forums I think. Or at least that's where this gen z meme matured and then spread to other boards. Think it may have something to do with ntr fetish.

>So the headbands in my old headphones have cracked (again) and they're being held together with string and paperclips.
Were they Sennheiser by any chance?

Work on your reading comprehension.

>Started on Sup Forums I think. Or at least that's where this gen z meme matured and then spread to other boards. Think it may have something to do with ntr fetish.

I would call that meme gen z but that's just a plain reddit meme. Pretty much the same thing though.

>I would call that meme gen z but that's just a plain reddit meme. Pretty much the same thing though.

What should i purchase next?
>LCD2C
>Aeon Flow Closed
>HD800

It literally(not the meme) is a reddit meme though.

schtax

Nice, is that the valhalla? Which tubes?
I have a he500 right now and a dac x6. I'm going to sell my dac x6 and my extra headphones for a magni 3, valhalla, topping d30, hd600(used), and t90(used).

I vote LCD-2c.

stax

Sell all your shit for $400(Dt1990), $200(HD650), $100(COP), $70(P1). Buy used LCD2 and HD800 and a gr07 to serve as your mobile.

Stax energizers on my price range don't work with my country voltage, i could use a voltage transformer but then i would be trusting some chinkshit not to fail and fry my $1K equipment, i could instead use the Woo Wee converter but apparently that one also tends to fry stax

Audible harmonic distortion is indeed refreshing from the inaudible stuff these threads have massive internet fights over.
For output, I have the electro harmonix 6H30Pi and for buffer, I have GE 6CG7. Not going to comment on sound because the reason I replaced the tubes was because my original set started developing a channel imbalance.

Definitely get rid of the dac-x6. Valhalla will most certainly have audible distortion with the HE500, don't expect it to be clean with that. It'll do higher sensitivity or impedance planars just fine though, like LCD2f or HE400i.

hard to find decent transformers down here, besides, i haven't auditioned any stax model yet, the other three i have listen and liked them

next year i'll likely go to Japan so i'll think about buying stax then

how would you compare the LCD-2C and HD800?

Thanks I'll check out those tubes when I buy it.
I don't plan to run the planar off tubes, that would be dumb. This is why I'm purchasing the hd600 and t90, to run off the tube amp.
At least we know the problem with the dac x6 is pic related. We know nothing about magni 3. I use two eq filters to fix this droop and it sounds fine to my ears. I will purchase the d30 and magni 3 and hopefully it's an audible upgrade but if it's not I'm returning them and keeping the dac x6.

Or grab a Magni 2/2U used. Those have measurements I believe, and the 2U has a nicer knob.

the HD800 i tested was using the "superdupont mod", sound quality wise i liked the LCD2C more but the HD800 has a much larger soundstage and could barely feel it in my head , the LCD2C was way less comfortable

How do you like the 1990 compared to your 6xx?

Do you really think that people haven't noticed your false flagging yet?

oh, it's this guy again lmao

Yeah they measure like an apple laptop :(

Apple is known to have decent laptop headphone outs. Also look at their lightning to 3.5mm USB dongle, also measurably transparent.

are you trolling or what? these measurments do not show shit except that the amp does not affect fr

the 6xx is better for when i want to sit back and relax
the dt1990 is better for critical listening and gaming butt gets fatiguing after a while
i would say i use the dt1990 more than the 6xx

You need to KISS mod your hd650, it's an objective increase in fidelity.
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/hd650-kiss-mod.3440/

>sbaf

>Budget
$200 flexible
>location
Usa
>source
Fulla 2
>type of headphone
Over ear
>open or closed
Open or closed
>Comfort level
Comfy as possible
>sound signature
Flat but with more bass than my k702
>past headphones
Shure se215, vmoda crossfade lp1, akg 702

Ive been thinking about getting the hifiman 400i to try the planar sound but im pretty open to anything that will either be complementary to the akg or significantly better

lol

>leaving a perfectly capable headphone a warm gooey mess for no reason

HD6XX

why not just EQ it?

hard modding > dsp is rule of thumb
You could also just sell the hd650 and buy an hd580.

is it possible to swap the headband on the hd6xx for something more comfortable?

>gr07
Stop this meme, worst iems I've ever used in my life. They're the definition of chink shit

I was surprised at how much bass the DT990s had. I thought since they were open back the bass would be lacking hard. But not at all. It's just what it is: Open 770s.

The only direct upgrade from the gr07 is andro

you could try this:
amazon.com/Headband-Replacement-Beyerdynamic-DT880PRO-Sennheiser/dp/B01LZEDQXJ/

Almost any other iem in the $100 range is better than the gr07s.

Fake news but I'll tell you what, I'll be open minded instead of a faggot. I get my tax return in two weeks. I'll buy a $100 iem. Which did you have in mind when you wrote that message?

thanks for the suggestion, it's so ugly tho

HD600.
>why not HD6xx
It's slightly bassier (magnitude) but has less bass quality. It softens the bass like it soften everything else.

>stax users

>ATH-M50s
Wow you also own the worst headphones I've ever used too, what a coincidence.
RHA MA-750 are better than the GR07s in every possible way, especially when it comes to build quality. The build quality of the GR07s is flat out unacceptable. I'm extra careful with tech that I own and my pair stopped working after 2 months

...meanwhile China already has the technological edge.

Oh I don't care about build quality, just sound.
You sure you don't mean the m50x? Love the m50, I dampened the treble a bit and they sound great.

>hard modding > dsp is rule of thumb
This is retarded because EQ is precise and hard modding is not. Hard modding voids warranty and EQ does not. You are wrong, full stop.

Eq messes up time domain and phase and has unintended effects on decay. Also warranties are for faggots, like you, full stop.

ethanwiner.com/EQPhase.html
Read a book.

>Oh I don't care about build quality, just sound.
Did you even read what I just said? I didn't say below average or just average, i said flat out unacceptable. They have a serious problem with quality control. And yes the RHA MA750s sound much better than the GR07s in every regard too. Thank god it has a little bit of isolation too so you can actually enjoy your music when you're out

So everyone keeps recommending Schiit for use with the HD 650, but will the FX audio DAC-X6 be as good?
I'm in the UK and Schiit products are difficult to get and more expensive (and won't look as nice on my desk as it can't be stacked on top of my speaker amp)

>Sennheiser
Overpriced, overhyped and shit quality
>Sony
Overpriced, have to pay the jewhon tax
>AKG
hit or miss, shit plastic, shit elastic, lasts a year before stretching out
>OPPO, b&o, b&w
pay more for looks instead of sound
>Stax
a literal meme
>Beyer
Ear rape treble
>Philips
only good ones
>Audio Technica
Shrill garbage
>Shure
Distortion cannons
>hifiman
break the next day
>fostex
niggerbass

Just buy speakers.

(you)

>speakers
Rollercoaster FR that changes when you move one inch

Is it normal that I don't hear difference between iphone 6 and an audio interface?

>Budget
200eur +/-
>Location
Netherlands
>Source
Dedicated dap, portable amp
>Type of headphone
Not sure
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Relax fit (glasses)
>Sound signature
neutral, neutral warm
>Past headphones
Various Earbuds, superlux 668b

open and portable amp? why? sounds weird
anyway if the amp is good enough akg k701 or k702 is pretty neutral i think

I was about to tell you that you are wrong and link you to Ethan Winer but it seems beat me to it.

The shit I read in those threads.
Schiit is a garbage Reddit/shill company, anyone trying to buy a product from them is a literal retard.
HD6XX > HD600, you'll need to EQ both to have anything listenable.
Spending money on different mid-fi headphones is retarded. Buy a pair of decent used headphones and get speakers.
Why don't we have an actual guide on there ? People seem so misinformed.

speakerfags are the most annoying people in these threads, and usually the most prone to spending thousands of dollars on retarded snake oil
make a real good case for speakers you do

>speakerfags
There's only one guy here who owns an expensive pair of speakers, nobody else does. Sure, he's a retard, I'll give you that.
Entry-level monitors from brands such as JBL or Yamaha will destroy any headphones at any price point. One should better invest money in LSR305s or HS5s instead of buying multiple boring, unimpressive mid-fi headphones and use the rest of his budget for a single good pair of headphones for the times where using speakers is impossible.
This is the point I was trying to make.

>Entry-level monitors from brands such as JBL or Yamaha will destroy any headphones at any price point.
Parroting this garbage is exactly what I'm talking about.

What is mid-fi?

>HS5s

Thanks user, yes I'm weird :-s what about something a bit darker/warmer than Akg 701 2. Any idea?

It's a gen z meme. Usually means headphones and audio equipment that isn't expensive. Sometimes also includes poor performing equipment.

>Parroting this garbage
Post your setup, including your speakers and headphones, so you can prove you actually built an opinion and are not just parroting either.
They're not that bad honestly. Less bassy than LSR305s but good deals can be had on them.
Anything short of the HD800 and electrostatics.