RTL-SDR

Why don't you use RTL-SDR?
It is a cheep way to do some cool shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-radio-scanner-tutorial-decoding-digital-voice-p25-with-dsd/
analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/adalm-pluto.html#eb-overview
rtl-sdr.com/adalm-pluto-sdr-hack-tune-70-mhz-to-6-ghz-and-gqrx-install/
rtl-sdr.com/plutosdr-sdr-plugin-new-dual-core-cpu-hack/
github.com/analogdevicesinc/plutosdr-fw
wiki.analog.com/university/tools/pluto/users
kmkeen.com/rtl-power/
surviveuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/The-Hobbyists-Guide-To-RTL-SDR-Carl-Laufer.pdf
hackaday.com/2014/06/15/easily-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-an-fm-transmitter/
fractenna.com/
dxzone.com/how-to-make-fractal-antennas/
vocaroo.com/i/s0vE6U2nu7m4
s.aliexpress.com/yQBFZneq
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0129EBDS2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519652045&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=rtl sdr&dpPl=1&dpID=516GMeDM1wL&ref=plSrch
rtl-sdr.com/tutorial-replay-attacks-with-an-rtl-sdr-raspberry-pi-and-rpitx/
rtl-sdr.com/
rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_Trunked_Radio
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What cool shit?

IMSI catching, Listening to your neighbors cordless phones. $40 public safety scanner. ADS-B, Replay attacks if you have higher end SDR's. Passive radar. Download NOAA satellite data when the world ends. Listen in on military frequencies. Anything you can write the software for.

where do i start

m8 i hate to tell you this but none of that is cool

I use mine mostly for grabbing images / data from weather satellites. It's a cool hobby, had fun building my qfh antenna.

Fuck off CIAnigger

rip bread

I do have one. I want to get another so that I can play around with SDR trunked radio Rx more, but I've been depressed lately and haven't been able to concentrate on it.

this

Can I watch DTV with this?

how much and where do I get one?

If by "cool" you mean "autistic" then I suppose that's true.

don't you need a radio license to use these?

>$40 public safety scanner

Does this work with trunking systems? VHF is rarely used in large cities.

What kind of antennas do you use?

not to receive only to send on not designated frequencies(wifi etc is open for all), which the ones op shows don't do.

You will need this baby for that

rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-radio-scanner-tutorial-decoding-digital-voice-p25-with-dsd/ yes

*shills for the plutosdr*
analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/adalm-pluto.html#eb-overview

rtl-sdr.com/adalm-pluto-sdr-hack-tune-70-mhz-to-6-ghz-and-gqrx-install/
rtl-sdr.com/plutosdr-sdr-plugin-new-dual-core-cpu-hack/
github.com/analogdevicesinc/plutosdr-fw
wiki.analog.com/university/tools/pluto/users

it was like $27 on amazon with antenna, not sure how I feel about it.

Funny to listen to the Indian Taxi company
Heard someone give a credit card number, sec code, and address on a trucking company radio
I can also listen to my warehouse guys talking on their radios
neat stuff to read about, not sure if its my thing yet or not.

I'm looking into getting one soon. I'd like a mobile radio of some sort for my vehicle for when I'm going on long trips but there doesn't seem to be much amateur 2 meter/70 cm traffic locally, so I figure I'll get an RTL-SDR and use it to do some band surveys from my vehicle while traveling around to see where the most activity tends to be before dropping more money on a decent mobile radio that might not see much use. I just need to decide on an antenna to use before I order it.

This is what I plan on doing:
kmkeen.com/rtl-power/

>Replay attacks
How?

Not him, but there are a ton of remote control systems out there which still send data plaintext and without a signature using a simple modulation scheme.

There is also a piece of software that lets you bitbang the GPIO pins on a raspberry pi to generate FM signals. That project has been in my queue for a while.

they are a lot of fun. I wish I still had a netbook since my computer isn't in a good spot for playing with antennas

What's some good GNU/Linux SDR software? I tried Gqrx but my computer can barely run it.

Because I have an actual radio.

but OPs only costed me 6€

surviveuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/The-Hobbyists-Guide-To-RTL-SDR-Carl-Laufer.pdf

286 pages, enjoy!

hackaday.com/2014/06/15/easily-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-an-fm-transmitter/

cool af

nigger

I have an unused Motorola antenna lying at work i can nigger, would that be a good start?
Could i log wireless keyboard data?

Are there any good antennas for covering the 11 meter (CB radio), 10 meter, 6 meter, 2 meter, and 70 cm band that I can mount on my car and use with one of these?

fractenna.com/

dxzone.com/how-to-make-fractal-antennas/

Yeah if local TV is DVB.

You might get more feedback on and, when up,

Can i use it to detect glow in the dark cia niggers?

also has radio threads semi-regularly

Sure but would you believe much what they write about?

At least /cyb/ got a Radio FAQ going.

About 10 bucks, ebay.

>Sure but would you believe much what they write about?
Legit ex-military guys have sometimes posted some pretty expensive gear that accidentally wandered off base.

Sure but do they know what they are doing? What I read on /k/ was so far out I haven't gone back. Radio and radar tech insight is painful and utterly dominated for the need to prop up F-35 as the holy cow of defence. The ideas about stealth is ludicrous and "arguments" tend to end up on that bingo card we have seen too many times.

>Sure but do they know what they are doing?
In the threads I'm talking about, yes.

>What I read on /k/ was so far out I haven't gone back.
So, just like Sup Forums then...

I mainly follow the /cyb/ generals here and /ham/ on /diy/ and people seem competent. At least one is an ex military radio operator.

Other than that the level on Sup Forums is a bit variable but never as bad as what I saw on /k/. I wonder how many have actually served as opposed to played WOW.

99% of shit is encrypted.

in my country, not even police radio uses encryption. i mean, they have encrypted radios, yet there is still lots of talking on ordinary radio channels

it's also nice to listen to those pirated satellites (250mhz). someone was sending sstv images from his photo album or whatever, dunno if it's still happening. i had my fun with this dongle, then i stopped using it, but now when i read about NOAA, i think i'd love to try receiving some images

By recording some data and sending it out again.

A good example is for older remote controlled garage door systems.

They have a simple rx/tx setup, often 433mhz, with a static code.

Say the remote sends out [555] every time it tells the garage to open.

You can record that message and save it.
Then when the dickhead neighbour leaves on holiday, you take your little SDR out again and replay that same message, and voila the door opens.

This doesn't work for what's called Rolling Code systems.

For example a car alarm.
The key fob sends out a string of data that includes command and verification.
They keyfob is verified by the alarm base by a list of numbers both have stored.
It could be a list of random numbers, so nothing like 1, 2, 3 but more like 44,1, 62,

Both devices keep this list stored and look at what verification number is supposed to be seen next.

So for example the neighbour walks up to his car, and you're there with your trusty HackRF or PlutoSDR waiting for the signal to disarm the alarm

He presses, and you see the data string [32,1337, DISARM]

What I failed to mention was that the keyfob often has an ID, in this case '1337'
You can just replay that to fake the base.

But the issue here is with the byte "32"
The '1337' and 'DISARM' you can easily copypaste to your transmitter, but the '32' won't let you.

What happens is, when the keyfob sends out the disarm command, it checks on its own list which number needs to be used for verification.
The base alarm knows which number to expect next, so it recieves the command, checks its list if the verification number is correct, OK's it and removes it from the list of available number.

That removal of numbers in the codelist is what fucks you.
Because you've still got the '32' verification stored, and it's just been crossed off the list, the data stream you captured becomes useless.

That's my understanding, I'm by no means an expert.

They started using encryption this year here.

May not be an expert but you described this shit quite good. I give you A+.

Thanks, I'm just an autist that gets possessed by things.

holy shit, it was easy. this noaa thing (19) just flew over my house, i used pic related shitty tv antenna and got really good signal for a while. gonna try decoding it in a minute

quality
vocaroo.com/i/s0vE6U2nu7m4

Okay, that almost made me fell my chair. Thanks user. Thanks. I needed it.

Interesting~

s.aliexpress.com/yQBFZneq
This is enough to screw around with for a bit right?

So if I want to buy one of these off amazon what else do I need to make it work?
Would probably get this one:
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0129EBDS2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519652045&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=rtl sdr&dpPl=1&dpID=516GMeDM1wL&ref=plSrch

okay nevermind. gonna try again though, this time following the advices from bottom left corner. cool stuff

this is what i have, except i also have roof antenna. this little antenna they ship it with won't really give you much, unless you live next to an airport or something. go get it, you'll definitely be able to screw around with it for a bit, and then you can build a better antenna

You can even do it with a rpi since y'all mostly have one lying around
rtl-sdr.com/tutorial-replay-attacks-with-an-rtl-sdr-raspberry-pi-and-rpitx/

Ok thanks because I don't want to spend 20 bucks on something I'll probably only use to screw around with like capturing noaa

>aliexpress
You never know what you get from that place. Check rather rtl-sdr.com/ specifically rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

No shilling; I have no commercial interest in this.

Any of you guys transmitting illegally? If so where do you do it?

If you ever were to try you should keep in mind that transmitters can give you an unpleasant surprise. You might transmit on x MHz as you intend but you might accidentally also transmit on harmonics of that frequency, 2x, 3x, 4x ... MHz. If one of these end up in an important civilian band (air band, telecom) or a military band (there are lots of them) there will be problems, possibly a federal case if you are in the US.

The FAQ tells you how you will be located. All your electronic communications are logged by alphabet agencies. Do not think they forgot to monitor the radio waves.

All police radios are encrypted with a 256-bit cipher in my country

>ISDB-T
fuck

I actually do use one. They're pretty cool user.

I dont understand how this is even possible. Analog signal quality is shit. Encrypting in analog is like encrypting on a shitty UDP connection.

I feel like you're lying and desu, I feel like its impossible to properly encrypt analog without being able to successfully decrypt it.

Well, because i'm not a sad loner, and that combined with the illegality of most things i would think to used this for, does not make it worth it at all.

What was cool, was when i learned about how easy you could make a FM radio of the Raspberry Pi.

After just a day of messing around with the Pi and FM transmitting, me and some 10 guys from my dorm ordered a few hundred cheap portable, AA-bat driven FM recievers from china, and held a really cool party, with two DJ channels and a user queued channel. The catch was that you had no sound in the room beside peoples feet when they danced around. Shit it was awesome.

One of the guy eventually started a company just renting out equipment for this.

>I feel like you're lying and desu, I feel like its impossible to properly encrypt analog without being able to successfully decrypt it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_Trunked_Radio

+ TEA-2 encryption (256 bit keys)

Standard for all German police.
Most 1st world countries do this

That's amazing man, kudos to you Germans. I think its really important to have a secure channel for police comm.
And no, sadly most police departments don't use digital, they mostly use analog, even in developed countries. Many consider frequency hopping every couple of hours a good amount of "secure". Its a sad reality considering audio over digital isn't THAT expensive compared to completely analog, plus you get fucking encryption, thats invaluable in its own right

I stand corrected, TIL

For rolling codes, some guy made a replay attack that would jam the signal so the car would never see it and cross the code off, but the jammer had a more sensitive antenna and would still read it. It gets you a single-use code.

you... you just use digital audio

this wasn't very subtle, fbi man

They're using trunked p25 systems, or other digital systems.

There's so much more to switching to digital than you realize.

digital audio through analog?

In Finnish mongolia, we have had encrypted comms for LE and other authorities, country wide, since 2002. It's called VIRVE.

I imagine it was quite expensive for Germany.
The national TETRA network is comprised of 8000 towers.

acab

What do you mean "through analog"? It's digital radio. Do you think WiFi is analog?

desu, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I think "radio" and think of this as analog.

Samy Kamkar, I've seen Rolljam, it's pretty damn smart.

Don't fix what isn't broken

What's up with the USB devices.
People say 20 bucks, but I can see some for 10 bucks.

RTL2832U with R820T that is.

So what's the difference? Both seem just cheap shit, I mean, the ICs must be the same anyways.

Just how illegal is this? Britbong asking.

>listening to radio is illegal

Could be in the UK m8 can nevva be too careful

nothing
quality ones with better connectors will probably have a bit less noise, but overall it's all the same chip. if device case is shaped like one you've posted, it doesn't matter how much it costs or what color it is

>oh no, british fatso police is going to bust me for listening to radio

you can't detect someone listening to radio, it's physically impossible. as long as you're not being a retard, there will be no problem. you can listen to anything, just don't tell anyone

tell that to OP

um
okay, here it goes

you can't detect someone listening to radio, it's physically impossible. as long as you're not being a retard, there will be no problem. you can listen to anything, just don't tell anyone

>just don't tell anyone
>posts thread on Sup Forums

Thanks user. I ordered one like that, I'm just slightly curious and probably will get bored with it soon, so I don't really care as long as it works.

Well well son. That's were your wrong. Cuff 'em boys. You've 'ad it now lad. Five counts of illegal listenin'. Shameful.

there is slight difference between telling people on chinese drawings board that listening to radio is fun and telling your random college buddies that you've listened to the police radio and heard some embarrassing stuff. that's what i meant.

few people would give a shit if you're listening, and anyone who cares enough is encrypting their transmissions. unless you live in usa or some other police state shithole, i can't say anything about how it works there

the NSA already locked OP up

>Listening to your neighbors cordless phones.
Hello? Anybody home?
This isn't 2001 anymore, all cordless phones are at least 1.9GHz or with encryption.

$2500 vs $25, not sure I even like it yet!

Kinda neat for the price, honestly the LimeSDR looks way better, even if twice the price.

Well, digital anyway, but DSD+ is more of a pain than expected... not sure why software doesn't have it built in...

The model I got, for $7 more you can get to dipole antennas, and two antenna mounts (tripod and window)

If you transmit at any decent wattage, you should get your HAM license, its cheap, and makes sure you know enough not to fuck shit up.

There are some differences, including shielding, bias-t, etc (TCXO?) if you are screwing around and 10 bucks means that much, just get whatever though

Which module did you get then?

>there are people here who think they are serious shit for using $20 USB SDRs
not even cute