2 CPUs on one motherboard

>2 CPUs on one motherboard

Is such a thing even possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Z10PAD8/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182944
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAY96U22001
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2630-v4-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/m139649vs3917
nature.com/news/the-split-brain-a-tale-of-two-halves-1.10213
store.vikings.net/libre-friendly-hardware/vikings-d16-workstation
newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sop/d/intel-lga-1366-heatsink-xeon/6509356777.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sure. It's quite common on server hardware.

What the fuck are you doing on my forum, gramp?

Are you retarded or just pretending?

Yeah. this is quite common on server boards. less so on regular consumer boards though. Back in the day there were a few socket 370 and S939 ones.

Evolution gave us pairs of eyes, ears and limbs to feel the world in 3D. Would we benefit from having two brains too?

No.

intel wants you to keep buying new cpus and mobos

it would be too easy to just stack a couple old cpus on one mobo to equal the latest thing they want to sell you

What is multiprocessor?

In terms of price, what is the most accessible socket/chipset that allows for 2 CPUs per motherboard?

I wish to construct a computer with 2 CPUs per motherboard.

Just buy something a few generations back.
Even Westmere-EP CPUs still hold up decently.

But user, WHICH generation?

WHICH ONE DO I BUY

EPYC if you need moar coars
if you don't see

>stack a couple old cpus on one mobo
Is this actually possible with DIY electronics and drivers?

The current state of Sup Forums....

Even the average Sup Forumsermin wouldn't ask something this dumb.

I just told you, Westmere-EP.
Or go for something a couple generations after that.

I'm currently running an X79 build as my desktop, so when I want to upgrade I'll just replace the CPU with an 8 or 10 core and throw some ECC RAM in.

This is the cheapest one I could easily find: asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Z10PAD8/

Most multiprocessor boards are designed for the server market, and priced accordingly. So you are not going to find any cheap deals here.

>He didn't have a Skulltrail back in 2009 in his workstation
why even bother anymore

Yeah, multi-socket never really broke into the consumer space even during peak PC gayment during the late 90's/early 00's. Though, you did see enthusiasts slapping server boards into desktop cases.

Only two processor boards are for consumer servers and entry level enterprise servers.
Widely available also as Workstation boards.
Actual high end servers pack far more than just two CPUs.

what's more sad is that people apparently think dual socket boards are only for servers

Currently, i've seen companies are starting to replace their old LGA1366 severs, might want to look there?

Just pick one. Do you know how to use google?

>low quality bait.jpg

or a 3rd world nigger who discovered computers and internet a week ago

Most PC applications really only care about single thread performance, or possibly lightly multithreaded performance. For normal computer use cases there is absolutely no reason to go multi processor, or really to have more than a 4 core/8 thread setup. However, if you're doing something like cgi work, 3d cad work, video editing or heavy data processing, dual cpu setups can be very useful. Usually though workstations aren't bought by people, they're bought by businesses and are already set up and ready to go

>shared FSB
Just kill me already.

>workstations aren't bought by people
Sup Forums everybody

go back to /tpg/ with your $20 chinkpad

>he thinks the MCU is the FSB

OP here

Give me five (5) good reasons why I shouldn't get this motherboard: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182944

and two of these bad boys: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAY96U22001

so I can have a 20 core, 40 thread bad boi for Battlefield 1 and PUBG?

nigger please, aside from a few turbo autists on Sup Forums how many people build their own multi cpu + quadro workstation for running a cad package. at work we have a couple pretty beefy workstations for solidworks, and we sure as fuck aren't allowed to fuck with the hardware

Yeah man, I still remember my old SR2.

First off you are a retard. With that out of the way, you have to understand that highly multithreaded setups like that are useless for almost every game. Most work for games that can be done in parallel is done by the GPU, since SIMD hardware is cheap as fuck to make for the amount of compute power it can have. The CPU is pretty much only used for stuff that has to run in serial in games, so single threaded performance and memory bandwidth are what matter most

Of course not. The CPUs and the MCU share the FSB.

Ah yes, a 4 generation old cpu running at fucking 2.2GHz, and get two!

Then drop in 4x4 gb of ram because you're almost out of budget, then a gtx 1050 so you can get like 35 frames per second in every modern game at very low settings

excellent idea

This thread makes me nostalgic, I wonder whatever happened to mine.

I won't give you any reasons. Obviously you did research and understand exactly how more cores can help you get more FPS in games, and obviously you understand that those games assume people with 2 CPUs use them to play games.

Yes but will it work well for video editing? I edit videos for my job, I am a TechTuber (a YouTuber who produces videos about computers)

A lot of major productivity apps are moving towards task oriented and microfiber designs in order to move away from relying on single threaded performance. Single threaded performance has been stagnant for years at this point and the software guys are taking forever to cope. If it does finally take footing, multicore CPUs will finally get better leverage with single applications. OTOH, the application is even more at the whim of the OS scheduler than it previously was.

jesus christ grandpa isn't it past your bed time?

did you take your alka seltzer? you don't want to get heartburn when you go to bed

I had a dual-slot-A workstation made by DEC. In hindsight I can't believe I threw it out.

>I am a TechTuber (a YouTuber who produces videos about computers)
is this real life?

>TechTuber

>he doesn't have a dual Xeon poweredge for giggles

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2630-v4-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/m139649vs3917

REDDIT SPACING

You tell me.

Then you're the worst TechTuber there is. Just make a decision and do it you faggot.

>t. child living under their parents roof

I've been on Sup Forums for literally more than a decade now and that's how I and everyone else has always typed. Some fags on reddit might have copied that formatting but it's completely indigenous to Sup Forums.

>the software guys are taking forever to cope
speaking as one of the software guys, actually effectively using concurrency is fucking hard so cut us some slack

Seconding that, writing (and especially rewriting) software for multithreading is a fucking retardedly convoluted and difficult thing to do.

Think about it: if it were easy, why wouldn't everything be multithreaded now? There are huge gains in performance to be made by having multiple threads, why would any software creator pass that up unless it were extremely or prohibitively difficult to implement?

what are you smoking
the MCU talks to both CPUs and then the MCU talks to the "southbridge" over the FSB

Recently got a dual Pentium Pro motherboard to work
With 256MB of SIMMs and 3 PCI and 6 EISA slots

You already have 2 brains. If you separate the two hemispheres neat and disturbing things happen.

nature.com/news/the-split-brain-a-tale-of-two-halves-1.10213

In theory, yes. In practice, no. Good luck jerry-rigging an additional socket on your motherboard.

I know. Even know, Microsoft is just starting to field its tasks library for C#.
Retrofitting a legacy application and/or its architecture is next to impossible. Even then, it never comes out as good as a proper rewrite.
Lock-less threading designs have yet to be distilled enough for mortals to use them.

>tfw I was the guy that preferred the mad catz controller
>people who came over used THE DUKE

>TFW you kinda want to build a dual Threadripper Desktop.

I mean, fuck if I know what I'd do with it.
Probably run a server while emulating the PS3 and mining random shitcoins.

That's a fuckload of processing power and PCIe lanes for a single computer.

Yes, you colossal fucking retard. Kill yourself immediately.

C600

Each socket has a dedicated FSB link to the Northbridge. The individual processor dies for the quad-core chips though had to share that FSB.

Dual Threadripper is not possible. The CPUs do not support it and even if they did they'd be sucking up PCI-E lanes to make it happen.

Closest you'll get is a 1P Epyc based rig.

r8

jet engine/10

Obsolete junk/10. Enjoy explaining the high power bills to your parents faggot.

My Freenas has 2 L5630 Xeons. Most games right now are better with about 4-8 cores. Overclocking 20 cores means physically overclocking every core, silicon lottery would limit that overclock.2 cpus at 4-6 cores would oveclock better but that means you need the SR-2 that someone was dumping on earlier. The 5600 xeon was the last dual cpu that could be OC. You can kind of OC new Xeons but not the ones for two cpus. Meaning the SR2 and 2 4.5 GHz OC Xeon 5690's is the best dual CPU setup for home use.

Nope, not possible at all...

Technically octo-socket, as each processor had 2 Thuban, Zambezi, or Vishera dies on each package.

I’ve always lusted after a dual/quad socket workstation but it’d be wasted on me.

its been possible for decades idiot but you would never need such a thing for gaming so they dont put it on consumer hardware

Dual Epyc is, tho.

go to newegg.com and type
dual cpu
you can find a few refurbished mobos for less than 100 bucks. the costly part will be filling them with CPUs
on amazon I can see a few lga1366 xeons starting at 70 bucks, but it goes up from there

>>Is such a thing even possible?
>Literally posts an image of a motherboard with two sockets.
Are you retarded?

You need to look harder for the 1366 Xeons then.

It's so common, that there is even a libreboot desktop with it available: store.vikings.net/libre-friendly-hardware/vikings-d16-workstation

Come the fuck on, how can you be THIS retarded?

>2019
>Serial Port

it was just a cursory glance

but you're right. you can get it for 10 bucks on craigslist
newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sop/d/intel-lga-1366-heatsink-xeon/6509356777.html

or use ebay like a sane person