We're entering a Post-Smartphone era!

We're entering a Post-Smartphone era!

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2018/02/22/chinese_phone_giants_grow_while_everyone_else_shivers/
google.fr/amp/bgr.com/2018/02/02/iphone-x-discontinued-second-half-2018/amp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Got a source to back this up?

I wonder what the next thing will be

> theregister.co.uk/2018/02/22/chinese_phone_giants_grow_while_everyone_else_shivers/

It is seasonal. The numbers go back up when new phones come out.

>Worldwide smartphone shipments DOWN...

Because everyone already has one. I've had a Moto E for like 4 years, no reason to """upgrade"""

Pretty much any phone is good enough now and people aren't falling for new "features" no matter how badly marketing execs want them to.

>We're entering a Post-Smartphone era!
Please dog, let this be true

i have a pretty sweet chinese phone

It's because no one wants a phone with out a headphone jack.

What is that beauty

Its almost like once you reach the point that everyone has a certain type of device you can no longer keep selling them on a yearly basis but expect the same growth?

>64GB ROM

watches and glasses aren't too hot right now. maybe hololens and augmented reality devices?

thats a pretty dodgee phone

It's almost like the expectations of finance capital are delusional and the people trying to push that delusion for their own enrichment are actually dangerously insane and need to be stopped at all costs before it is too late!

Everyone will realize that all their friends are assholes and nobody cares about their shitty pictures and comments. There will be a mass Facebook exodus as they all go back to vegetating in front of the TV.

b-but the monetary system is based on infinite growth! that's how productivity works right?

Smartphone manufacturers bled consumers until they were dry, and every phone design has been a race to implement the same bullshit that every competitor also does. There's so little variance in design with everyone copying Apple circa 2016 that no one has a reason to want to keep buying phones.

At this point only autistic Google cocksuckers buy the latest and greatest flagship every year just because, and they just generally bend over and accept Samsung's shitty Android skin that saps their batteries and steals their data.

Sales will either dip and plateau, or go up again next year when manufacturers make good on their planned obsolescence as phone batteries dwindle and die, hardware generally shits the bed, and OEM software becomes unsupported. Until someone comes in an makes a phone worth looking at, though, sales will not be on the continual rise as they have been for the past 10 years.

Thank fucking god. Same thing is happening with facebook and social media but ((they))) will go out of their way to conceal and counter this fact.

Its a good start.

its actually just 64gb internal storage.
it runs a completely vanilla android build, the only aftermarket software is a toolbox app for the sensors it has (fingerprint,barometer, accelerometer, etc...)
doogee s60.
the 6gb ram is ddr4, octocore 2.5ghz processor, 2 gpus, body is aircraft aluminum and polycarbonate, i love the thing so far.
best thing is the stock android on it. to root it, i just tick 'OEM unlock' in the developer's options menu and reboot and install super su

LG G4 user post-bootloop here, still going strong

I can only believe shipments would be down because they've saturated all potential markets. There's a difference between entering hungry markets and maintaining existing markets.

That or all the dumb fucks are finally realizeing they don't need the latest hotness of minor incremental improvements every 6 bloody months.

MFW I just upgraded from my Windows Phone Lumia 635 to a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Feels good man.

Maybe it's time for gamer phones.

Stop talking like a retard.

You should have gotten an S7. It's a good phone.

Wouldn't OEM Unlock just unlock your bootloader? If so, that's pretty good.
I doubt there are any custom ROMs or TWRP for it though. Then again, stock Android is already perfect.

>phone some how are more expensive than decent computers

thank god

You do know that bootloader is the thing that loads your phone's OS? It needs to be unlocked in order to run non stock OS. So, you unlock it, then you install a root manager to have root access.

Huuuuuurrrrrrrrr.

You can root a phone without unlocking the bootloader. I was specifically talking about flashing a custom ROM.

>You can root a phone without unlocking the bootloader

Okay, how?

For a little bit more you could have gotten something so much better

No, we've entered an era where everyone already has one and only mindless drones that buy a new one every year are still buying.

The day that good flexible and transparent displays are a thing maybe. But doesn't seem we are close to it, transistor performance degrades badly and screen bending is constrained up to some maximum as I heard from my colleagues.

Flamethrower

This. S9 is coming out and my s7 years later is perfectly fine. Probably won't upgrade until the ""updates"" start degrading performance

you say this when there are $1500 smartphones that sell a lot

google.fr/amp/bgr.com/2018/02/02/iphone-x-discontinued-second-half-2018/amp/

The Gods accepted my sacrifice.

Nah, its just that the phones from 2 or 3 years ago are just as good today.

There are billions of phones and most don't seem to update every year any more. I wonder why shipments are down.

People are probably holding on to their money and waiting until all this "no headphone jack for you" blows over. I haven't heard anyone saying how they are annoyed to have a headphone jack, but I've heard multiple times how people are annoyed that it's missing. Companies should stop copying Apple who makes pretty much all the terrible decisions.

Australia, lol.

>t. Elon

My S5 still going after 3 years, 4 years gonna be. I don't see how I'm missing much from newer phones when my current S5 works just fine for me. Also it seems like flagship phones nowadays are more expensive than there were a few years ago?

The days of the big two Applel and Samshit are slowly coming to an end. Normie buyers are beginning to realise there are chink phones to be had with close to or equal specs to the $1000+ phone and can be bought for a 5th of the price. They just have to import them.

If more places would sell Xiaomi, Huawei, Doogee or Outkitel type phones $1000+ phones would be non existent.

Nothing of value lost. My phone is older than the first applel 2G.

that's it, everyone with the phone is satisfied, prepare for the stagnation and death of 90% of brands. Golden age is over.

So are many smartphones.

The golden age is just beginning. Death to the overpriced phones.

we have reached peak smartphone

Coincidentally we got project Treble - a single ROM image for all phones. Android will become just like desktop Linux.

>oversaturate the market with zero real advancements in the past few years
>why doesn't it sell anymore??!??!

it's computer desktops all over again

> zero real advancement
Is how big advancement looks like when you didn't need anything as powerful years ago already.

We have reached peak everything. Peak aggregate demand.

Which is why automation is scarier than most people think.

When some tech guys are like "we need UBI because everyone is going to be unemployed" most people ignore them and call them alarmists. They make arguments like "during the industrial revolution a lot of people lost jobs, but a lot of other new jobs replaced them!"

That isn't happening this time. Those jobs were created during the industrial revolution because that increased efficiency brought with it a massive wave of increased demand (ie: poor folk could afford the now mass produced luxury goods). There will be no increased demand this time, we have reached peak demand. Everyone, even people in abject poverty, can afford 'luxury' things like phones, TVs, refrigerators, etc...

All we will get during the automation revolution is a massive increase in efficiency. Oh and a massive influx of unemployed/unemployable.

Smartphones are more ubiquitous than ever.
It's simply that adoption rates have more or less reached the peak and people who already adopted have slowed down the rate at which they get new ones since advances aren't as rapid as they used to be and a lot of consumers have caught onto the kikes that try to get them to upgrade annually.

Old budget smartphones perfectly serve their purpose of making calls, checking maps, shitposting and playing music.

Literally zero reasons to upgrade.

It's almost like the entire world already owns a smartphone so has little reason to purchase a new one.

on nexus 5
if you switched insides with pixel 2 I would not notice
so why pay x2 for the same thing

Because they don't offer anything new or better performance anymore. You can work well with a quadcore snapdragon, you don't need octacore in a phone.

I thought about getting something new but it was disappointing, a current 300 €+ phone would be a downgrade compared to my Sony Z2 except of the octacore. Mine has a quadcore, 3 GB RAM and 3200 mAh. There aren't many smartphones that can match its battery life.

Not him but... Different exploit, kingroot like?

quite a pussy repellent

There is almost no reason to get an S4 over an S3 besides they both cost the same. S5 and up are meh and not worth the extra money because bloated. Not that consumer retards such as yourself would understand of course.

Same
it's funny to see my friends reactions when my LG g3 running aosp extended 5 (Android 8) is just half a second slower than his brand new s8
The g3 camera was also the best of it's time so it keeps up very good on that department too (I'm running multirom with fulmics and also ex)
It doesn't matter how much they improve the hardware from one phone to another if the software is bottlenecking it

umm... no ?

The issue is smartphone companies are no longer subsidizing new phones for people on contract, so they're waiting longer to upgrade. the 2 year upgrade cycle isn't sustainable.

Bad bait

It's not bait unless someone is retarded enough to buy into marketing specs. The S3 is a solid phone and has held its value well. They still command a fairly high price on the used and refurbished market because they still work great. The S4 barely adds anything and sells at the same price as an S3. It's almost as if consumers are figuring out actual phone tech upgrades ended years ago and that every feature upgrade since is complete bullshit.

Woah it's almost like past a certain threshold on the amount of gimmicks you can put on a device like this is not enough to attract people into dropping a month worth of money every two years.

The jump from single core ARM chips to a dual core ARM chip was huge. The jump from dual core ARM chips to quad core ARM chips was nowhere that huge but significant. The jump to 8 cores was just a slight improvement compared to previous iterations.
The jump from WVGA display to HD display was massive. The jump from HD display to FHD was huge. The jump from FHD to 1440p and higher is insignificant to most.

I still run a Moto Sup Forums for shitposting, messaging, calls, music, and the potato camera is still good enough to take legible pictures of printed paper (page of a textbook, a buddy's notes, etc.) So I give absolutely zero fucks. I put a tempered glass protector on it the day I got it. The edges are starting to... peel after a few falls, but the display glass underneath and the tempered glass directly over it is spotless. Still gets the newest Android versions via Lineage OS, which has been rock-solid stable for me.
It's nearly 5 years old at this point and I still don't see a reason to upgrade.

Sales are down? You don't say.

im a guy who has always been into tech, heck, i owned a mobile phone and a desktop pc back in the 90s and was on the cutting edge. however, i consider smartphones combined with social media as the worst invention in the history of mankind

it turned people into shallow husks who would stand there recording someone being hurt rather than actually helping them, it empowered the mentally ill so they could record random members of the public and say the word "rape" or "racist" and get that person fired from their job, no proof required, it made people feel like getting likes on [platform] was more important than actually talking to people

What would a post-smartphone era be like? People carrying around iPads or laptops everywhere?

Flagship prices are rising. Budget/midrange device prices are not.

Those Budget/midrange devices are often Chink phones.

Holographic phones when?

Shut up old man.

The jump to quadcore was indeed big. It might not have been as noticeable when it happened but it is indeed noticeable today. The jump to 6/8c wasnt noticeable in performance because it was a energy efficiency upgrade.

The S3 sucked ass.

everyone has one and there is little point in upgrading. People wait till their shit breaks

AR
Google Glass is just too far ahead of it's time

I seriously doubt that that will happen. That shit is a dopamine super reward path

I would have gotten the s7 simply because of the camera. its the only improvement worth considering for me at least.

/thread

Google glass made you look like a fucking retard

I just wish those fucking sheep and the retards that buy lootcrates and dlcs would die.

whats going to happen regardless is that the human population is going to drop. the world cannot sustain us as we are now, and unless we can start colonizing other worlds alot of people are probably gonna die

>people in abject poverty can afford luxury things like phones, tvs, refrigerators

Yea, I remember that one time that nearly 1/3 of the global population still lives without consistent access to electricity that we'd managed to give every human being on Earth all their desirable consumer goods.

You people kill me. When Africa, South America, the Middle East, and huge chunks of South East Asia finally industrialize, we can talk about "peak demand", and that's assuming we don't run out of oil first (because we have hit peak oil) and set the world back 150 years via global wars and food shortages.

>set the world back 150 years
That sounds optimistic.

Would be great if people could actually swap the batteries. Fucking ridiculous that i have to search for A place where they can change it for me for 3x times the price of the actual battery

and I never got one

ugly
>visit unicef
>trend research
created by self-important TED-talk faggot confirmed

What's happening now is the same shit that happened with computers - people just stopped upgrading hardware that frequently, because it does what they need and those speed bumps make no difference for many. Of course, there are people that want and can afford the latest and greatest, but they are minority.

There's plenty of reasons to get S4 over S3, at least when it comes to specs.

2 GB RAM vs 1 GB - meaning better support for latest non-official firmwares
720p vs 1080p - great for tiny text
3g vs 4g internet
And my S3 also has a bug with LineageOS where often if someone calls me, his voice is robotic. I tried upgrading modem firmware, etc., to no avail. The only way to fix it is to switch to 2g or probably revert to stock firmware (4.3 android, ouch).

Then I think S4 has more sensors and the foot counter thing that doesn't drain battery that much.

More like everyone who would conceivably get a smartphone already has one and they're not breaking at a fast enough pace to keep up the sales.

Prepare for newer phones to start breaking at a faster rate.

maybe we'll find out in 50 years

............What is the chink equivalent of NSA?

it think the normies are finally getting that it's not worth the upgrade everytime a new phone comes out

>not selling
>need new idea
>newest models features a 'kill, delete, forget' button
>right next to Home
>"it's your fault for not being careful"

More like 5 years user