How do you guys feel about this record?

how do you guys feel about this record?

its nice
okie dokie computer is better though

It was alright

JUST

Under rated, it's better then IR

Lol

I think it's one of their best albums, but I know that's not the common sentiment on here.

I like it.

OKC > Kid A > The Bends > Amnesiac > rest

Probably the band's most down to earth and relatable album.

It's the best Radiohead album.

>Amnesiac better than In Rainbows.
lel

I'll back that. This is the album that made me want to explore them. Before this all I knew was their song "Weirdo"

What is the album art? A crash test dummy or something?

a CPR training dummy

u got ur lels and all but do u actually have opinions?

pretty good, even though its one of their worst imo

(Nice Dream)
Just
My Iron Lung

are some of their best songs

i really like the effects and textures they use in Iron Lung

kek

Great album, it is a good definition of how the 90s sound. Probably the best introduction to Radiohead.

I like it, but i like album cover more. I mean it has only two more or less relevant songs, the rest is just brit-pop fillers or whatever.

More boring than Pablo Honey. This is utterly shit

Listened to it for the first time yesterday and was surprised that I had somehow already heard the majority of the songs.

I liked it a lot.

better than kid a but not better than amnesiac

awful

Itd be better if they put more grunge in it. Pablo honey was only good cause it had the grunge

Personally always found it quite overrated. 2 or 3 good/great songs and the rest just kind of blends into itself, imo their weakest release after Pablo Honey (I have not listened to KoL or the new one so I don't include them)

i have a real soft sort for high and dry desu, as well as some other songs.

My third favorite Radiohead.

It's The Bends

>mfw

A bit dated

I feel it is among their greatest output, although it seems that many would disagree, possibly due to it being the most accessible and catchy.

lel

>britpop
Can we stop this meme already? The Bends is too dark to fit that genre. It also dooesnt sound like britpop.

The Bends was an improvement in every single way of Pablo Honey. More atmospheric, more layered, more intricate and inventive guitar work, more varied, more cohesive, better songwriting, better lyrics, more mature, etc. Why the fuck would you want to spoil by putting grunge on top of it, it would ruin the whole thing

it really does

i was playing the bends once and my dad thought it WAS coldplay

Who has your dad not heard The Bends? it was all over the radio/TV in 1995-1996

I just remember being 13 and listening to this for the first time and being amazed at how one album can contain so many powerful songs. Literally every song is orgasmic (except for my iron lung)

>(except for my iron lung)
Plebs need not reply

Its not experimental by any means but its a wonderful, well made album. Completely solid from start to finish.

I think it's brilliant. First Radiohead album I listened to and the one that got me into them. Its not my favourite but up it's up there for me!

Iron Lung is one of the best tracks you pleb. Certainly the more unique.

Thats because Coldplay based their entire career on High and Dry. How does Iron Lung, Planet Telex, Just sound like britpop?

I know a guy that legit thinks this is how the song is called. His fav band is Nickelback. At least he's fun to hang around with

>Thats because Coldplay based their entire career on High and Dry
Why this makes so much sense to me

It's down there with Pablo Honey, no idea why people consider it any better except for the fact that it has one of their best songs (Street Spirit)

Planet Telex, Street Spirit, My Iron Lung, Nice Dream, Just, Fake Plastic Trees - all those tracks are top tier.

7//10

the 2nd half is better, but i still really enjoy it

Because

It's a good rock album, some great tracks on there.

I feel like the same could be said about any album after The Bends with it as comparison

>listening to Radiohead

I want the college kids to leave

With Ok Computer you could say that + a more specific concept and electronic influences. Doesn't change the fact that the Bends was an improvement of PH and has a unique atmosphere. I wouldn't call it one of their best though.

I definitely agree that it was an improvement over Pablo Honey but Pablo Honey was fucking abysmal so that isn't saying much. Every Radiohead album after The Bends improved upon it in pretty much every single way.

My intro to radiohead. Still good. Sulk and Planet Talex are the only songs on the album that I find a bit boring, but still not bad. It's a simple album, but a good one at that. Plus it's their best album cover. In my top 5 radiohead for sure.

Forgot to add that Bullet Proof is one of their saddest.

The first song I got into from them

Oh memories

>That's because Coldplay based their entire career on High and Dry

Holy shit you just blew my mind

I feel like a meme

I am amazed that millennials have absolutely no context for anything

You mean like Radiohead based their entire career on Hey/Gouge Away by the Pixies?

>the pixies

That makes The Bends not amazing how?

They sound nothing alike, what are you talking about?

edgy

>PH was abysmal
This meme seriously needs to die. Pablo Honey has some great songs (Anyone Can Play Guitar, You, No Ripchord, Prove Yourself) and Blow Out was an amazing closer and a hint of what's to come. Pablo Honey had far better guitar work than most alternative rock albums from that era.

I meant that you could say that any album after The Bends improved upon it

The "PH wasn't so bad" contrarian meme needs to die, it's fucking terrible if you hold any sort of standards to the music you listened to. It's not good as a pop album and it's not good as a rock album. Also alternative rock is a shit genre so comparing PH to albums from that genre isn't saying much.

That makes The Bends not amazing how?
What's wrong with it specifically?

confirmed for deaf/pleb taste

>the pixies

I'm not being contrarian though. The album has some great hooks, and like I said the guitar work IS good. I do agree that it has some embarassingly bad tracks (Stop Whispering) but it isn't as bad as the meme says it is.

Lol I bet you think Doolittle is their best album and not overrated and inconsistent as fuck in the slightest.

It's not on the same level as OKC and beyond but I like it a lot

For some reason it's my go-to album whenever I'm flying somewhere both at the airport and on the plane. My Iron Lung and High And Dry especially.

doolittle is objectively the best pixies album, with surfer rosa in second.

>objectively
How so?

Except it's inconsistent as fuck.
Surfer Rosa > Trompe Le Monde > Doolittle > Bossanova
>inb4 hurr trompe le monde is shit

Not him, but would you elaborate on the inconsistencies?

It has better songs overall, and is regarded as their best album by non-contrarians?
I respect your opinion however, in this case, you are wrong

>better
That's a subjective judgement.

Try again?

I can't say it's a bad album, indeed it has some enjoyable songs like Black Star, Street Spirit (Fade Out) and Just, but the truth is that this album would be slightly forgotten and recalled as some other generic 90s albums that were commercially succesful but that was all (see 4NonBlondes, Cranberries) if it wasn't for the big thing that OK Computer meant, that album gave instant credit to their previous and somewhat mediocre works

Except The Bends was a critical and commercial success when it came out
Nice argument

It has some of their best tracks (Debaser, Wave of Mutilation, Monkey, Gouge Away, Hey) Which are the pinnacle of their sound, but also some failed tracks that are wacky for the sake of it and just not that good (No. 13 Baby, Crackity Jones, Mr. Grieves, La Love you) and are nowhere near the level of the other tracks. I'm also not a fan of Here Comes Your Man.

It's universally regarded as their best album, due to it's awesome thematic and with Frank Black's signature bizarre lyrics, coupled with the balancing of quiet and loud verses/riffs.

trash
even worse than Pablo Honey
I mean neither are dreadful albums, they're just completely generic alt rock

>awesome
>bizarre
Subjective

Try again?

Are dumb? Literally every single Pixies album has those features. It's the basis of the whole Piexies sound.

I agree with you on everything except no.13 baby

haha music is subjective!! therefore no album can objectively be greatest!! well memed
And it's the best because it nails those aspects better than any other LP released before/after Doolittle

Name me 5 albums that sound like the Bends

See It is an exageration of their sound. Surfer Rosa is much more natural and Trome Le Monde is much more consistent, while having a better balance of those features.

>haha music is subjective!! therefore no album can objectively be greatest!!
Ooops you seemed to have not stated why it's objectively [subjective judgement]

I'm assuming you can't, so you want to call things that disprove your logic a "meme" like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants?

Black Star is one of my fav Radiohead songs

How is it not?

Black Star and Nice Dream are goat

I think I'm on the minority here, but I really like Sulk. The guitars on the background are so damn good and Thom's vocals are on point.

Because it is not communication forwarded by social mematic methods, and not used in that context.

Unlike "X album is objectively better than Y album!" but you already know that

But it's rated highest on RYM
[spoiler]:^)[/spoiler]