/prod/ - Production General

generic macro picture of faders, blurring out in the distance edition.

>Resources (feel free to contribute)
pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

>Wiki (again, feel free to contribute)
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/

Please use clyp.it for any audio you want to share.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/cogizhul
youtube.com/watch?v=M4GArp3C7ps
youtube.com/watch?v=kV9sNmujCPk
clyp.it/agq3gdrt
innerportalstudio.com/guides/
clyp.it/kf14pt1l
clyp.it/4x2sda11
www58.zippyshare.com/v/wl0GV47R/file.html
soundcloud.com/drejardoktorn/8-bit-power
clyp.it/a14wgagt
clyp.it/jgkj3f53
soundcloud.com/spinborn/janus-llywen
clyp.it/se1hv5a0
clyp.it/kngd3icf
youtube.com/watch?v=qe7OEVKkLJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3i-cY4EQMoU
clyp.it/ymr2cvdo
clyp.it/25i10thd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

clyp.it/cogizhul

Finally getting into making my own sounds through resampling, this time with 808s.

The drum patterns get boring pretty quickly. And the gradual pitch increase is sort of annoying and very predictable. Some of the 8+ bar loops should probably be changed to 4 bars.

Thanks, I wouldn't have even called it a rough draft of anything. More like of a stream of consciousness thumbnail type thing just to get the ideas out.

I think that's an interesting workflow and I've seen other people work in similar ways
some even record synths for the whole length of a track and have some kind of song structure going on from the first minute they start producing their track.
this guy for example: youtube.com/watch?v=M4GArp3C7ps
( the video is quite enjoyable to watch btw)
I don't work like that at all.
I start with something and tweak it until it's perfect and 2 hours in I don't have any song structure whatsoever, mostly just a few synths on top of one another with a bass and some percussion.
Then I start building an intro
I'm wondering if this might not be the best, most effective way of producing and if I should change my workflow..

How do I get a synth sound like this? Massive?

youtube.com/watch?v=kV9sNmujCPk

bump

Was dicking about and made a short cover of that song from The Little Mermaid:
clyp.it/agq3gdrt

I have an mpc 2000 but it keeps crashing when I save programs, thinking about getting a electribe or a volca. Any recs?

That workflow is what I'm trying to escape from. It kills any potential ideas in favor for the loop that you've been listening to for the past 2 hours. I'd recommend a new workflow, for sure.

I recently found innerportalstudio.com/guides/
and he has tons of short, quality articles about production.

Can I talk about MPCs here and sample packs etc. ??

Because I'm finally going to grab a MPC1000 after much research and was just looking for some input on anyones favorite sample packs x drum racks. I'm mainly looking for really aggressive basslines and lots of noise elements.

Anyways thanks for any suggestions, Also anyone here a MPC1000 owner. Thoughts?

nice edition i had a laff m8

>2014+3-1
>still using MPC

literally why?

I would like to learn playing the synthesizer/keyboard so i thought about buying a 61 keys midi keyboard and try playing my favorite songs on it. I'm a huge fan of Yellow Magic Orchestra but I have not enough money to buy a real synth. Is this the right step to do or do you have any advices?
I already have that small LPK25 but it is really to small to learn it. What midi keyboard do you recommend?

Literally why not

I agree literally why not

>2014+3-1

Whats everyone working on today /prod/?

Yeah that's a good route to go, find a cheap velocity sensitive midi keyboard, probably something used and play softsynths with it. If you still want a hardware synth afterwards you can always buy one.

Curing this hangover

clyp.it/kf14pt1l

Am i a hop-gaze producer now anons?
( memes-aside i tried something, what do you think of it )

spent 1000 hours in FL studio on this hiphop. no intro, no outro, no hooks - just pattern.

clyp.it/4x2sda11

also it's lowered volume for some reason
>hopgaze
nice. yes it works

anyone know where to find acapellas of songs? I don't mean gay ass Glee shit. I mean just vocals, nothing else. More specifically of Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads

it's on acapellas4u. i'll upload it for you, give me a few mins tho.

here you go:
www58.zippyshare.com/v/wl0GV47R/file.html

use the site i mentioned in the future.
site itself is a pain in the ass but it's the best/only good resource for acapellas.

>clyp.it/4x2sda11
damn this shit goes harder than a mafugga

thanks pham. Really appreciate it

Wtf man 1000 hours? Don't ya think you could have been using that time to just play guitar instead, you'd be good by then.

I want to put my music on youtube. Any software available that makes some basic video (effects), so I don't have to just use a still image?

make a cheap Youtube video you fucker

*music video

I was too hung over this morning to bother with traditional sound selection and arrangement, so I made my first attempt at a short 8-bit cover. Thoughts?

soundcloud.com/drejardoktorn/8-bit-power

And yeah I cheated by using a bit of reverb.

well those 1000 hours were spent learning the basics. i can now produce a simple beat in around 500 hours instead. i've doubled my work ability

thank. couldn't figure out how to make it actually sound good though so started over

Why is everyone on /prod/ hungover?

why is it obvious that you use FL?

clyp.it/a14wgagt

no mixing yet. Just a nice trap inspired beat

clyp.it/jgkj3f53

thoughts?

Any subtractive/wavetable synth should let you get somewhat close to it.

I'm not great at synthesis, but its amp envelope has a very short decay time with zero attack and zero sustain. It sounds like there is also a pitch envelope with a fast attack.

Hopefully someone more experienced can help you out more.

soundcloud.com/spinborn/janus-llywen

whaddya think /prod/

this plus a bit of chorus and/or rotary for that 'shaky' volume feel (you can also do this by using a frequency shifter and pulling the rate down).

also everyone posting their shit and going 'thoughts' is a bit obnoxious. ask for something specific and production related. i don't care what your composition work is like.

Not everyone on Sup Forums lacks a social life

because retards can't into drinking water, also they need to drink a lot in order to fix their social anxiety issues

Hey guys. I've posted this before but no one ever gave me advice on the mix. I'd really appreciate some advice on this one since It was great fun to make: clyp.it/se1hv5a0

I didn't use any native FL-plugins, would have sounded the same no matter what daw I used lmao

>clyp.it/4x2sda11
utter fucking garbage. delete FL

>clyp.it/jgkj3f53
sounds dope man cool ideea but it gets a tad repetitive, i would go for a tad more high-end aswell

>clyp.it/a14wgagt
sounding good, love the 808s, it is a bit hollow right now. add some noise/fx. distort those main bells and push em a lil
What do you guys think about this?

clyp.it/kngd3icf

I like those kicks. Seem like they duck the volume. What do they call it? Sidechaining or something? Sounds like a camcorder recording. I'm the one who made this btw:

>What do they call it? Sidechaining or something?

yeah

>Sounds like a camcorder recording

yeah, the lo-fi beat scene on soundcloud is fire right now

As for your track, i gave it a listen and the composition sounds great, I really can't comment on the mix however given that i don't produce this style of music and i don't know what the mix should sound like, that being said i do think that the kicks should punch a bit more.

I know. For some reason, I'm not sure what, a few certain kinds of songs are very clearly made on FL. Not sure why.

Ah thats a shame man. Man I've always loved shit like that, compressors and sidechaining and those other stuff they do in mixing. I wish I was better at that. I'm pretty good at just writing the music but when it comes to mixing/mastering I know jack shit. I just don't understand those knobs, especially with compressors, like attack and those other knobs. Mind if I ask if you know any resources where I can learn about that kind of stuff?

>utter fucking garbage. delete FL
how about kys? ;^)

Everything sounds like it could use eq. One easy way to start is to cut low mids in almost every track, they almost always build up and end up sounding boxy. Parallel compress the drums a bit so they punch more. The levels are good except the crash seems too loud.

High pass things where possible. Could use a bit of compression on the 2 bus to glue it together a bit. One trick I like to use on the 2 bus is to use 2 compressors, the first one with a fast attack and the second with a slow attack, each one doing 1 or 2 db of gain reduction.

The composition is actually really nice, way better than I could do.

watch these:

youtube.com/watch?v=qe7OEVKkLJQ

youtube.com/watch?v=3i-cY4EQMoU

There is this channel on youtube called SadowickProduction.

He has a full crash course on Ableton and mixing

Probably because the song in question was pretty basic, and which makes it more likely that I am a beginner (which is true), which makes it more likely that I used FL because it is generally considered the most user friendly.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe using a maximus-preset has something to do with it.

dance music manual - rick snoman
mixing with your mind - michael stavrou

you should be able to get pdfs for those without much trouble.
the stavrou text is somewhat advanced and at times downright esoteric. it has an absolutely superb chapter on compression.

take everything you see on less established youtube channels with a grain of salt. and even on some established ones - i've seen that sadowick guy absolutely butcher certain things.

Get u a man who can do both

>i've seen that sadowick guy absolutely

you're right, he did mention that he knows not what those knobs do, and Sadowick came to mind because he is very chill and explains everything very slowly.

clyp.it/ymr2cvdo

I did a meme
feedback welcome

>projecting this much

try learning about music production

yeah but where's the lunga?

#rekt

>making me want to kill myself this much

>>not using maschine

no one?

Good point although the maschine workflow is based on the MPC so if you wanted a sampler that you didn't need tethered to your computer to use a MPC would be ideal.

>record sounds on your phone
>go to a pawn shop
>buy a DS1 for $10
>run sounds through DS1
>all the noise you want

Sounded like Vitalics - Trahison a little bit, try adding something a little bit less distorted to the front

/prod/ what have I been missing all these years... These Kontakt sounds are just amazing...
clyp.it/25i10thd

hey guys anyone has a link to cracked fruity loops for osx? thanks in advance (the piratebay one is expired).

which ones?

>tfw my beats are just speeded up grime leaving no space for the MC and also any sound with tone has a higher pitch

I should've made these beats at the fast tempo they sound.