Colemak, Dvorak, Qwerty/Qwertz

Colemak, Dvorak, Qwerty/Qwertz

which one is the best?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liouville's_theorem_(differential_algebra)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I forced myself to use Dvorak a few years ago. Wasn't but, just didn't get used to it.

I switched to Dvorak after I started to get RSI on Qwerty. Now don't get me wrong, pretty much all the evidence is anecdotal/conjectural on the benefits of Dvorak for strain injuries, and it could just be placebo on my part, but I have way less RSI issues now.

I would say that if you can already type competently on any layout, there is little reason to switch if you don't have RSI issues. If you do, you're likely served better by changing to a more ergonomic keyboard before you change layout. Colemak is likely a better choice than Dvorak based on ease of switching and the keyboard shortcut similarity.

go colemak. According to every measurement I ever found on the keyboard forums it's a solid improvement over QWERTY, and it always proves itself as a "good enough" layout. It's also kinda widespread, and is included amold all the major OS' default keyboard layouts. It's also way easier to learn than dvorak.

I was able to get to my usual pace in ~1-1.5 months. But it's not about speed, it's more about touchtyping comfortably.

If you're from germany learn neo2, it's great for both writing and programming

I switched to Colemak a few months ago for the same reason, and have also noticed that I'm suffering less RSI related pains now. It's probably due to me being more aware of my posture, making sure to flex once in a while etc. rather than switching to Colemak, but I'm sticking with it because Colemak is pretty comfy. Typing on QWERTY feels like playing Twister with my fingers now.

colemak

I reverted to qwerty after using colemak for a year or so. Got sick of typing like a retard when using other people's PC's.

Workman > Colemak > Dvorak > Qwerty

I went for qgmlw which I found on carpalx. switching from qwerty to colemak was tough, colemak to qgmlw wasnt nearly as bad.

>go in thread to shill workman
>somebody already posted it
Literally the first time this has ever happened. Patrician ranking.

sorry friendo, but the highest tier of autism is still qgmlw

What metrics does it use for optimization?

I'm not saying that qgmlw or workman are bad layouts. But you're losing tons of mobility if you go for those. I mean, if you find yourself at someone else's computer or in front of a fresh OS reinstallation on your PC you're going to be crippled until you install that one layout you like; it's not a big step on any modern OS, but you still need to make it.

I can still use a qwerty keyboard just fine though. Others are unable to use my machine is not a negative anyways.

Me as well, it's just that I still hunt and peck on QWERTY and I'd always prefer to change to colemak if I can. I also got myself a programmable mech keyboard and set it to colemak in the HW in order to have it available wherever I can plug it

colemak. but be aware that you shortcuts are going to be a total mess.

Its a red herring anyways, even when I was a normie I would only very rarely use someone elses computer.

There's literally never been any reputable study showing benefits of alternative keyboard layouts for strain or speed, and the attempted studies showed no effect. It's all conjecture and word of mouth. There's no reason to use an alternative layout and it makes switching computers a huge nightmare which is something that comes up very often if you're a normal human.

The best thing you can do for RSI is to have good qwerty typing habits (using correct fingering which I'm sure most people here don't do) and having good posture and supporting tools. Switching is just a dumb waste of time.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence user.

It literally is. If you study something and keep coming up with no difference then although you can't definitively prove a negative, the continued lack of evidence is as good as you can get. That's literally how it works. This is basic statistics.

I use Bépo, which is a French équivalent of Dvorak. It's good for woriting but utter shit in Vim and coding.

theres absence of evidence both directions because no one bothers to study it at all.

>portable ahk script on a USB (99% of "other people's PCs" run Windows anyway)
>portable pre-programmed keyboard
>ability to type on qwerty with minimal speed loss
You're making a mountain out of a molehill. It would only be a problems if you learned to type an alternative layout from the start (thus never becoming proficient in qwerty), and have to use a machine where you can't plug in your own USB device, and which doesn't have a network connection. If the latter two are true then you're doing something weird (e.g. working on secure airgapped systems) and you probably know qwerty already.

stenotype + plover

>you can't definitively prove a negative

>The antiderivatives of certain elementary functions cannot themselves be expressed as elementary functions.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liouville's_theorem_(differential_algebra)

I'm doing the same, but after nearly 10 years with colemak.

>Keyboard shortcuts everywhere are weird/need remapping
>Derpy games get confused
>Implied hjkl scrolling in many programs and websites

Patrician. What board do you use? How long did it take you to get reasonably proficient? Do you use it for coding as well?

that proof doesn't even work in an intuitionistic setting

>intuitionistic setting

That's neat and everything but we're in this setting not a philosophical circle jerking setting.

Alright show me an instance of infinite set in the real world then.

Human stupidity

There are only finitely many humans and they only have access to finitely many resources during their finite lifetime. No human characteristic can be infinite.

>theres absence of evidence both directions because no one bothers to study it at all.
Yes, there's no evidence that the standard alphabet soup random offset row mess is any better than a layout which seems to answer the age old need proving someone is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

I want to believe.

tldr ~ Colemak

Dvorak, of course.

Don't you move your fingers the same amount on all different layouts and the only difference is where your fingers tend to be most of the time?

Yeah sure the QWERTY keyboard was designed for typewriters so they didn't jam so often, but at this point it's so massively adopted and widespread that the effort needed to reprogram my muscle memory from typing on QWERTY isn't worth it for me for the speed benefits.

In the end though like most equipment and peripherals it's all up to personal preference and what works better for you though.

I don't get it.

Colemak. I normally use 3 languages + programing, and Dvorak is utter shit for latin derived languages (L with the pinky is fucking criminal).

I also invested in a kinesis advantage and customized the symbols and created some macros. I fully recomend this keyboard, even though is expensive, over a 10+ years lifetime doesnt make any difference,

Sure but full size QWERTY is basically like a current automobile that retains a horse harness, crank shaft and has the doors upside down and on the roof. Now I'm going to exaggerate the matter a little. Sticking with QWERTY just because everyone else goes along with it is basically like supporting Kim Jong-un and punching babies.

Anyways Colemak on a TKL is worth considering unless you're a monster.