/wt/ Watch Thread, Citizen Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of timekeeping, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=BNfRAXPd2e4

youtube.com/watch?v=Yavx9yxTrsw

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 101:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Golden Turdle

Good pick up from ROSS

Currently bidding on a used GW-M5600. Highest bidder for now, but I can't go over my current bid (30 NEET bucks). fucking hope no one steps in and snatches it for 30.01 $.

buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/s570172123

is it an OK find, /wt/?

Alpha chronograph coming through

Vile

It'll be fine if you don't go to china (why would you). That's the older model with Multiband 5 instead of 6

considering its in good condition, I eventually have to change the bezel and strap for like, 25 bucks and it'll still be 3 times cheaper than getting a completely new one

I didn't get any opinions on the last thread so I will shamelessly post my digitals again.

Not a G757/30

You need some rubber there.

I wouldn't wear them, but I'm glad you like them

>3,96mb

Almost everyone here will agree that we live in deeply troubled horological times. One of the most widespread manifestations of the trouble in the watch collecting community that we see here on our little corner in /wt/ (and other forums) is the "Seiko Male", so a discussion of the psychology of the Seiko Male can serve as an introduction to the discussion of the problems of the horological community as a whole.

But what is a Seiko Male? During the first half of the 20th century what we call a "Seiko Male" could have been practically identified with homosexuality. Today the community is fragmented and it is not clear who can properly be called a Seiko Male. When we speak of Seikos going forward we have in mind mainly Weaboos, leftists, “politically correct” types, feminists, gay and disability activists, "metrosexuals", racemixers, and the like. But not everyone who is associated with one of these movements is a Seiko. What we are trying to get at in discussing Seiko is not so much a movement or an ideology as a psychological type who happens to collect wristwatches, or rather a collection of related types who are involved in the watch community. Thus, what we mean by “Seiko Male” will emerge more clearly in the course of our discussion of Seiko psychology.

Don't like the looks of that
I hate rubber straps, but I might get a f-91w when the beater casio dies.
Thanks bro
Thank you for your input

Seikos tend to hate anything that has an image of being strong, good and successful. They hate Rolex, they hate Western civilization, they hate white males, they hate rationality. The reasons that Seikos give for hating the Patek, Vacheron, Rolex, etc. clearly do not correspond with their real motives. They SAY they hate the Swiss because it is overpriced, simplistic, gaudy, inaccurate and so forth, but where these same faults appear in Japanese or in other pet gook brands, the Seiko finds excuses for them, or at best he GRUDGINGLY admits that they exist; whereas he ENTHUSIASTICALLY points out (and often greatly exaggerates) these faults where they appear in Swiss horology. Thus it is clear that these faults are not the Seiko’s real motive for hating Swiss timepieces. He hates Rolex and Patek because they are strong and successful.

If the Swiss watch industry had no problems at all, Seiko would have to INVENT problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss.

Seikos are desperately anxious to prove that Japanese wristwatches are as valuable and as capable as a Rolex. Clearly they are nagged by a fear that Seikos may NOT be as valuable and as horologically significant as a Rolex.

Look at the “man” that constitutes the average Seiko Male. Words like “self-confidence”, “self-reliance”, “initiative”, “enterprise”, “optimism”, etc., play little role in the Seiko male vocabulary. Seiko is anti-individualistic, pro-collectivist. He’s the type of person who wants society to solve everyone’s problems for them, satisfy everyone’s needs for them, take care of them. He is not the sort of person who has an inner sense of confidence in his ability to solve his own problems and satisfy his own needs. Seiko is antagonistic to the concepts of “prestige” and “heritage” characteristic of traditional Swiss horology because, deep inside, he feels like a loser.

Seiko will often deflect with pointing out the deficiencies of the stereotypical TAG Heuer-buying Chav or nigger rap star with his comically oversized Royal Oak Offshore. There is a certain degree of truth to the accusation that people who engage in “status seeking” may be doing so as a method to shore up certain feelings of inadequacy. But even in the absolute worst stereotypes of the Rolex, TAG, Hublot, etc. buyer we do not see the same level of lowliness characteristic of the Seiko Male.

Trying too hard mate
Tho I do generally agree many seiko fans are redditors/Archie haters

For instance, the Seiko is not typically the kind of person whose feelings of inferiority make him a braggart, an egotist, a bully, a self-promoter, a ruthless competitor. This kind of person has not wholly lost faith in himself. He has a deficit in his sense of power and self-worth, but he can still conceive of himself as having the capacity to be strong, and his efforts to make himself strong produce his unpleasant behavior and tendency towards buying outlandish watches. But the Seiko is too far gone for that. His feelings of inferiority are so ingrained that he cannot conceive of himself as individually strong and valuable. However horribly misguided or distasteful you see the average Tag Heuer buyer from being, he still conceptualizes himself as being able to score women which is one of the biggest factors in his (admittedly very poor) choices in watches.

Despite claims to the contrary, we of course know through even a cursory examination how your average Seiko male (and indeed the “Weaboo” type when speaking of the broader problem in Western masculinity) would react if you put an attractive, high value white woman in a room with him. Whereas the prototypical TAG-owner might in the worst case make a complete fool of himself and gain zero headway, for Seiko that is likely the height of his success. A Seiko is just as likely to be the type to awkwardly fumble and stammer his way through failed flirtation as he is to be the guy whos eyes beam with joy showing her his expansive collection of cartoon pony dolls and anime figurines.

Notice the masochistic tendency of Seiko tactics when applied to real world activism. Seikos protest by lying down in front of vehicles, they intentionally provoke police or racists to abuse them, etc. These tactics may often be effective, but many Seikos use them not as a means to an end but because they PREFER masochistic tactics. Self-hatred is a Seiko trait.

Many Seikos have an intense identification with the problems of groups that have an image of being weak (women), defeated (American Indians), repellent (homosexuals) or otherwise inferior. The Seikos themselves feel that these groups are inferior. They would never admit to themselves that they have such feelings, but it is precisely because they do see these groups as inferior that they identify with their problems. In turn, the peculiar fascination with Japanese wristwatches stems from an identification with a society where being an emasculated “grass eater” has a certain degree of social acceptability far beyond what is present in traditional Western society (of which in many ways traditional Swiss horology typifies).

Within watch forums the Seiko, rather than taking a conciliatory or lighthearted response to Rolex funposters which would in turn alleviate people mocking them, instead turn to desperately mashing the report button and responding with pictures of fish and passive aggressive butthurt.

We emphasize that the foregoing does not pretend to be an accurate description of everyone who might be considered a Seiko Male. It is only a rough indication of a general tendency of their community.

Your entire industry is cancer.

What's the red bit on the right side called?

Archie is a cuck and you should be ashamed of yourself for watching him.

do you have dialup?

In technical horological parlance it is known to watchmakers as the “windyknob”

Careful with the threads on the crown

You do realise Archie is just cringe jokes, bad satire, and a parody of other watch channels right? He is literally a rice fucker and more of an Asian lover than anyone in this thread.

Is the one on the right a steel bracelet?

Oh yeah? I don't like the looks of YOU.

>dat filesize
fucking off yourself

isn't that the unabomber manifesto?

sounds really familiar

Shit tier collection coming through

It's all stainless steel.

>tfw can never undo the shame of buying The Fifth watches

Pretty much TGV/teachingmensfashion tier.
Why did you get the fifth or the nomos?

The fifth was my first. Just a bad decision. But it got me interested I guess.

The nomos i got because i enjoy it. No regrets.

Fair enough.
Just don't tell me you got it because of anthony garcia's tip.

Anthony Santana what ever from real men real style*

What's that to the right of the THICCodate? Might be the only watch there worth keeping (aside from maybe the nomos).

Its a noname more or less. My granddad used to have it.

Uses some ebauche movement. Cant remember the name.

Tom was good looking, no homo.

thank god my wrist is only adorned with glorious manly slavshit

>tfw was on holiday and missed the Seiko SARB announcement
FUCK

It's truly amazing the way bootyblasted shitposters will dedicate themselves to trolling /wt/ for *years* because of how mad they are.

Why do you think they are mad?

>My dedicated watch to use as an EMT. Surprisingly durable, doesn't look terrible, and cheap enough that if it breaks or gets especially contaminated
>espcially contaminated
disgustingle
have you ever stuck your watch somewhere especially gross?
(did it come back out?)

lmao gramps just use your phone

I hate to think how much time you wasted coming up with this but damn do I approve!

What SARB should I snag before they dry up?

The watches will still be available for a while.
Remember that there were rumours that the SKX would be discontinued too.

There are still some or sale for not much more than usual. It's not like they were vaporized

I was gone for a while so I wasn't entirely sure.

>fake dial

I like Seikos largely because Japan is anti-immigration, monocultural, traditionalist, etc.

Japan is what I wish the West were still.

Have you ever considered judging watches on the basis of how well they are made and how much you like their aesthetics? It's a pretty radical idea, I know.

Holy fuck I've not timed my Nomos Club for a while so I thought I would as I accidentally opened the app, it's averaging +0.1 s/d!

Do they make watches in Israel?

I really hope this is bait

You often cannot actually know how well something is made without knowing the production philosophy behind it.

It is definitely not.

welp pressure got to me and scooped up the SARB035

What is going to happen to the MM300?

my epic collection

When did you get the solar one on the right?

>nips
>culture
pls

There is a reissue of the 6159-7000 coming baselworld 2018

holy shit its retarded

>case size: 44.8
They're making it bigger?

ITT we disappear right up our own assholes trying to shill products

~ 3 months ago

As well as re-imaginations

>those hands
>that prospex 'X'

Nice, where did you hear about it?

What the hell? Where are these from?

If not citizen, ROSS typically carries watches that will get you a lot of QT (quality time) [QT]

This is old ass news if you browse the forums.

They are also releasing 9F quartz Grand Seiko GMT's

Sorry for shit photo, my phone's lens is cracked

Also have one of these. Alpinist master race

You should probably call an exterminator

and the ugliest 90's watch award goes to...

It's so horrible, I wouldn't wear it even if you payed me money

absolute shitters

Post your collection

I think it looks nice -- The flat blue works well with the gold.

The Seiko re-issue process
>Take original classic
>make ~1.25x bigger
>keep 20mm lug width
>slap that shitty X on the logo
>MAKE sure the bezel and chapter ring are 0.05mm out of alignment
>price at 799 and watch the retards eat it up
Then:
>Take the same watch
>make shitter
>increase the misalignment to 0.0525mm
>use those shitty monster hands