Kanye West appears on 53% of The Life of Pablo: An Exercise in Pedantry

Inspired by the discussion of how much Chance the Rapper actually appears on his new tape Coloring Book, I decided to try the same analysis on Kanye West's most recent album The Life of Pablo, and found pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

Note: I used the most recent version of the album for my analysis.

Pic Related is the actual audio broken down into Kanye and Not Kanye (the same as it was in the original Chance analysis).

Kanye: 31m 8s (53%)
Not Kanye: 28m 4s (47%)

Keep in mind I calculated this ratio somewhat in Kanye's favour. The entire second half of 30 hours is still considered Kanye in my analysis, even though it is mostly ad-libbed rather than rapping/singing. Had I not done this he would likely have dipped below 50%.

Things I learned:

- There are 3 tracks where Kanye does not appear at all (we already knew this but I normally listen to this album front to back so it's hard to notice things like that).
- He's actually on a lot less of Famous than I thought. (See also Fade and Waves).
- Had I done even further analysis and broken down Kanye's contributions into actual rapping and singing/autotune mumbling, it would likely be around the same ratio, with the scales maybe tipped a bit in the favour of rapping.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bfN21Q0yMJ4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how gay are you exactly

>dat waveform
How can you people even listen to this

only thing this proves is that you have too much free time on your hands

not clipped doe; just compression abuse

you're a fucking mongoloid

Keep in mind Ableton isn't the best at displaying waveforms for anything more than a passing scrutiny
Sunday morning off my friend ;) Have a cup of coffee and relax

so your point is?
Kanye has always been a producer first rapper 2nd
his rapping is shit but his persona makes up for it

oh look it's another "I know absolutely nothing about modern music production and think that a brickwall waveform means it's bad" post

this is interesting, but what is more interesting and mostly unknowable is how much he contributes to the instrumentals

maybe you can add the ratio of sampled music to the mix and also divide by the producer credits and shit.

Also, this project would be more interesting if the same analysis was done to more artists to compare.

>Kanye has always been a producer first rapper 2nd
Please. Don't pretend like he actually makes his own beats anymore.

physically probably not as much
but since mbdtf he's become a creative director of his projects and the end of the day thats still producing which he is good at.

He's a pop artist I don't listen to kanye for his rapping its an overall package that only he can provide

but he directs
he tells how a beat, which only he has in his mind, should sound like

Ok but this album was scattered and incohesive as fuck and the fact that Kanye appears on it so infrequently only serves to further support the idea that he didn't have an overall vision for this project like he had for all of his previous ones

This is pretty interesting, I wish we could see this for other albums of his. I imagine MTDBF would be less than this.

yeah of course
mbdtf and 808's is his peak. everything else has been scattered but TLOP is a step in the right direction
man just needs to lose something again for his true magnum opus

I like how the teenagers are angry that someone can categorically prove something objective in the music.

they havent though. maybe if the do this>this is interesting, but what is more interesting and mostly unknowable is how much he contributes to the instrumentals
>maybe you can add the ratio of sampled music to the mix and also divide by the producer credits and shit.

this is why black people make fun of whites

>oh look it's another "I know absolutely nothing about modern music production and think that a brickwall waveform means it's bad" post
But I've produced and mastered several modern music albums

have you?

you are lying. post the albums if you are so confident.

Post your last.fm and I'll tell you if you've heard them

Lamo I don't have a last fm because I'm not a fucking poser.

>damage control

what the fuck are you talking about?

damage control is asking for a last fm instead of posting your fucking work and proving you aren't a lying sack of shit.

both of you are faggots

I'll only sacrifice anonymity if you do as well.

Otherwise your argument is based on a ad hominem and should be discarded,

At least you tried.

Ok I'm RUI. I viral my music on here and I'm supposed to be writing a paper right now but I'm shit posting instead.

youtube.com/watch?v=bfN21Q0yMJ4

Who are you?

I'm Bob Ludwig

Now fuck off.

nah

nah

Listen to it again. It's his best record.

Hi guys I'm Dean Blunt what's up?

James Dean here, was happenin?

these chaps are really being vitreous. Gotta be more patient.

hey dean how are you what are you drinking today

been better. the morning we found out the fog machine fluid spilled all over the van last night so we gotta get more of that. I'm just drinking orange juice right now.