/gg/ - gentoo general

/gg/ - Gentoo General

gentoo.org
Quick Install: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
Quicker Install: chiru.no/u/installgentoo.txt
Prebuilt Gentoo image and binhost: ca.cloveros.ga
Packages: packages.gentoo.org
FAQ: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/FAQ.md
IRC: #gentoo on irc.freenode.net | #cloveros on irc.rizon.net (all questions or help welcome)

Come here for help or general questions, post your configuration, discuss packages or overlays, CloverOS, post your desktop, anything else Gentoo, etc. Newfags welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

gentoo.org/glep/glep-0023.html#accept-license
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/make.conf#ACCEPT_LICENSE
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ethernet
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Rebuild
system-rescue-cd.org/Detailed-packages-list/
devmanual.gentoo.org/quickstart/
devmanual.gentoo.org/
dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/ebuild.1.html
dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/head/pms.html
dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/ebuild.5.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No thread in the catalog so I made one.
What kernel is/gg/ using? Stable / experimental / vanilla or something else completely?

Just installed it yesterday as a pastime and fuck the gentoo wiki.
The nvidia-drivers (proprietary blob) page suggested I should disable EFI framebuffer support when configuring the kernel, result is I kept getting no framebuffer console when booting (so no video at all for the tty) and thought it was something else, had to reboot to the live media to recompile the kernel some 4 times before I decided to try enabling the EFI framebuffer the wiki said caused problems with the proprietary drivers.

Then guess what, it worked perfectly and caused no problems at all.

>proprietary blob
sounds like a personal problem user

I'd use nouveau if it wasn't so bad (trust me, I tried it) and I'd have bought an AMD GPU if they weren't overpriced because of mining.
So for now it's VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" and USE="-wayland".

Currently using stable but thinking of using something more recent to get full ryzen support. worth?

today i installed cloveros on an old netbook i had laying around

>proprietary

why not install debian if you want botnet

>installed gentoo
>it's pretty much the same shit as debian just with less packages and muh compiling

what?

What what? It's just another linux distro with it's own pros and cons

You're retarded.

gentoo-sources-15.6 with experimental use flag for znver1 GCC optimazion for compiling the kernel

they mean you should disable the nvidia framebuffers
not all framebuffers

English motherfucker! do you speak it ?

Nope, the wiki says you should disable everything except the UEFI one
No idea why he disabled that one too

I've been having issues with guixsd and parabola, so I was thinking of trying gentoo on at least one of my machines and seeing if I can get the hang of it a bit better. Am I missing out on anything if I choose some sort of faster/easier install method? In the end I'll want i3, polybar, tmux, ssh, ranger, mpv, mpd, ncmpcpp, vim, qutebrowser, and firefox-nightly if possible. That'll probably cover my basic needs. Oh yeah, and if it's not a huge pain, I'd like to use a free kernel and an alternative init system (as in, not systemd).

Gentoo already uses an alternative init system by default (OpenRC). In order to install a free as in freedom kernel you're gonna have to download the linux-libre patches and apply them to your kernel.You should install it according to the wiki as other guides are usually outdated or just flat out wrong.

Alright, thanks. How about the repos? Do they separate free and non-free packages?

gentoo.org/glep/glep-0023.html#accept-license they separate them by licenses and you can pick which ones the package manager should accept.

Also this wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/make.conf#ACCEPT_LICENSE

Are the prebuilt packages as extensive as fedora/arch/debian repos?

There isn't that much amount of prebuilt packages and the use of them is not recommended.

Thanks for saving me the time of trying it out

for polybar you should download from git and compile it yourself, no packpage in repo, overlay packpage gets error while compiling

firefox and libreoffice have bin pacpkages, very comfortable on laptop

4.14.14 here

This.
I've also considered trying ck-sources

the nouveau drivers worked fine for me (they also take proprietary firmware) but I couldn't use gpu-hq and user shaders on mpv. After switching to nvidia-drivers mpv can run everything, and I just can't go back. At least I don't use dbus

Alright can Debian boyz hang here for now? Doign a fresh re-install and chose KDE for my school thinkpad

>I couldn't use gpu-hq and user shaders on mpv.
without lag anyway

>dbus
What's wrong with dbus?

Can anyone briefly explain what's going on here? I've read the man emerge and still don't understand >.

If webengine is set and widgets is set then webchannel must also be set. You have -webchannel in blue, indicating that it is not set.

I've been using ck with various configurations for a while. Really don't notice any difference on a high-end machine.

Thanks it werks

ck-sources w/ the Nvidia proprietary driver. I’m running a desktop so fuck you Linus.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers
>For (U)EFI systems, uvesafb will not work. Be warned that enabling efifb support in kernel (CONFIG_FB_EFI=y) causes intermittent problems with the initialization of the NVIDIA drivers.

Stop paining yourselves to use this garbage and install a desktop OS

Windows XP is waiting.

Nothing, if you like/trust systemD. I chose Gentoo to get away from everything systemD and that includes dbus. If you use gtk, you have to use a patched version so it doesn't pull in sys-apps/dbus

I had no idea xterm had a toolbar until I installed Gentoo. What else are distro maintainers hiding from me?

I'm new to gentoo, need some help setting up resolution. I've searxed countless articles and threads but nothing seems to work. All I know is that it's a permissions issue with AMDGPU. I can't set the resolution through xrandr because I'm getting the meme error "xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default." I've already added my user to the video group. Running screenfetch on my normal user will not show the GPU, but running it as a root user will. What do?

Did you include the amdgpu drivers in the kernel?

Just installed gentoo!

Congrats pal

>picture of monitor

Congrats. Also wow, I didn't realize stable was still at kernel 4.9.76-r1...

Taking a screenshot of the plain text console is actually a bit of a chore and 4ch doesn't have asciinema integration, right?

>debian
>botnet
post proofs

Yeah the amdgpu drivers are working, only through root though for some reason.

>tfw too much of a brainlet to make my ethernet kernel module work on gentoo

I imagine user confused debian with ubuntu. Debian is fine in that regard. Definitely hate its package building tooling, though & apt also is also far more retarded than it should be.

Isn't it in kernel and you just need to enable it as module? The vastest majority of NICs is covered, has been well over a decade since I needed an out of kernel driver for any ethernet NIC. Granted, they were all typical consumer devices, I'm not dealing with fancy fiber optics or such.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ethernet
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Rebuild
here you go daddy

ya i have a rather rare ethernet card, basically half the distros ive tried before dont even have support for it. on gentoo though the ethernet works just fine with the live CD but it never works on the actual install

Do a diff of the .config in /proc/config.gz from the live media and the one you're using to compile your own kernel.
Run lsmod in the live media to see what ethernet module is loaded.

> on gentoo though the ethernet works just fine with the live CD
That's a pretty good indication that it should be pretty easy to get the driver going.

As the other user said, just check what the live CD uses. The lsmod part. lspci -k, hwinfo, lshw and so on may also show things. Though I think the latter might not have been on the live (I haven't used it for a long time, usually doing my thing with sysrescuecd and it's VERY rarely needed).

thanks for the help but sadly ive already wiped that hard drive i installed gentoo on in order to use a different distro. im using void right now but ill probably try gentoo again tommorow.

What is NVPTX in LLVM_TARGETS? It's the only one I could imagine I would need other than X86.

Maybe grab sysrescuecd ad interim. It's a pretty comfy thing to install from. Very solid set of packages on that.

system-rescue-cd.org/Detailed-packages-list/

Should be to generate nvidia CUDA code. I don't think you need it unless some package asks for it.

Generally suggesting you don't enable USE-flags before you have reason to believe you need them for some immediate reason.YMMV.

How did you survive compilation time? Also, wy i3 as VM? What do you think about OpenBox

t. Atom N270

representing the gentoo users who still use DEs

What's the difference between a DE and a WM? What's the point of a DE except wasting resource?

WMs are for people who think they're minimalists

some of my java-gui apps (swing/fx) do not work in wms, even in floating mode. i need this really specific one called protege but it doesn't even launch.

DE contains many programs, and WM is one of them. Think of it as how Linux is just a part of a full GNU/Linux system.
Most of the DEs include way more bloat than you might ever need, but some of them are actually required for a WM to even work such as x server and you'll probably want a terminal emulator to run a shell. So installing just a WM will save you from installing unnecessary bloat, that you might have to install otherwise.

tbf I love dwm but i can't justify distrupting my workflow over a few hundred mb of RAM

I use xfce with openbox because it behaves nicer than xfwm and in my experience DE sessions handle consolekit/polkit better.

Gentoo doesn't have enough developers.

maybe i'm just a brainlet but i've got a STEM MSc qualification and I found writing .ebuilds from scratch really challenging

I'm currently trying this useflags on one of my gentoo systems:
minimal alsa ffmpeg -systemd -ldap -pcre -pam -nls -kde -gnome -dbus -polkit -consolekit -gtk -gtk2 -policykit -gtk3 -qt3support -qt4 -qt5 -qt -pulseaudio -pcre16 -pcre-jit -lua -luajit -joystick -libav -cups -readline -perl
wish me luck

ok rxvt-unicode does not find my fonts anymore

I mean do whatever you want dude, but now you are just going to have 500 items in package.use and not using polkit is just plain retarded

>I mean do whatever you want dude, but now you are just going to have 500 items in package.use
I'm trying this for the luls and to see if it is acktually possible to use such a system. i made a backup of my old /etc/portage directory
>and not using polkit is just plain retarded
im using i3wm with wpa_supplicant i have no applications that use polkit or policykit.
Its even more retarded that I'm not using pam

Gentoo noob here, why do you even need to write your ebuilds?

For what purpose

I would say to stay minimal but Its more of an experiment.
>Is a system compiled with this flags still (easy) usable ?
>Are compile times while updates shorter ?
>WIll the resulting system be more complex or less complex ?
>Is it worth it ?
>Do I really need dbus ?

I will propbably learn something new by breaking my system

Have a blast then, good luck.

>im using i3wm with wpa_supplicant i have no applications that use polkit or policykit.
Well many many programs depend on it, found this on reddit 'The journey of purging polkit from your system on Gentoo'. I don't know if I'd use it on my daily but experimenting is always fun especially on Gentoo so report back.

>Gentoo noob here, why do you even need to write your ebuilds?
They are the equivalent to PKGBUILDs of Arch that automates installation and compilation

You don't. It's like writing your own arch PKG Build scripts. It just really depends on your needs and how much time you want to put into your system.

You're retarded. A WM is part of a Desktop Environment. It literally is the part of your System that tells X or Wayland or whichever Display server you choose how to place your windows on the screen.

if you agree with
that gentoo needs more developers then there needs to be a more rigid standard and better docs for producing ebuilds

How did anyone survive compilation time in 2003... you just do. Pretty easily actually.

Everything Java works for me on awesome. But I recall some Java thing in the distant past with a past wm that required me to use "wmname".

Not really. I mean, the newer kernels are in ~arch, with Gentoo patches and all.

I just didn't realize how conservative stable is.

If you use tmux anyhow, try st.

I succeeded near immediately with 3 applications. Ebuilds are easy, much easier than understanding the chaos that you get with some build tooling or other python things (someone's ansible playbooks or such).

Of course I did figure some stuff out by looking at other ebuilds and docs, the thing just is that it didn't take long. You can even run stage-by-stage and observe what happens.

>I just didn't realize how conservative stable is.
stable used to be up to 4.1X but they removed all due to the spectre meltdown incident, and released the patched stable 4.9X and one unstable kernel afterwards

I see, that makes sense.

Though I do spot 4.15.{0..6} in ~arch; that's not really bad.

re:ebuilds; to clarify, I mean writing them from scratch instead of just changing the $PN or whatever of some existing popular ebuild from gpo

Yea, I did that. But you got literally tens of thousands of examples and good docs like:
devmanual.gentoo.org/quickstart/
devmanual.gentoo.org/
dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/ebuild.1.html
dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/head/pms.html

It's quite easy to get how to write ebuilds - much easier than working with most programming libraries which have nowhere near this kind of documentation and number of examples.

I get that questions asking for browsers are everywhere, but what is current state of GNU/Icecat ? Could not find it in emerge. Just installed Gentoo, thinking about a choice of browser. Do you all just go for binned firefox or have some other go-to browser ? What is the thing about pulseaudio ? Minimal browsers are not an option for me.

I compile firefox since it doesn't take that long here, just a bit under 20 minutes.
If you're concerned enough about the trademarked branding to consider using IceCat you can just emerge it with USE="bindist"

PS: Also it's like 50 times easier than to get how to build a damn Debian package.

Man, that caused a headache between their retarded scripting, poor docs on everything from the old variant to the apparently now more used, sandboxed pbuilder with its own relatively large environment that you need to (have) set up and so on. THAT is an arsepain.

Gentoo's tooling is super well documented and ebuilds are easy.
You literally learn how the build is supposed to work on the package's side and then squash it sensibly into the scope of the individual "phase functions" which give you very good hints at what you should handle if possible.

Also, I should have linked man 5 rather than man 1:
dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/ebuild.5.html

>What is the thing about pulseaudio
unstable firefox runs with alsa

This, god damn. I tried using debian after I was used to Arch's pkgbuild system and I just couldn't figure that out.
I think at one point I just took a deb apart and rewrote the metadata and sticked my compiled files in there and dpkg -i it, don't remember if that worked well.

Yea, I just don't know how Debian can live with what they have. I wasted multiple days trying to turn a git repository that I already knew how to compile and install manually with a program I needed into an usable .deb with correct dependencies. Debian's tooling and its configuration suck so very hard, and the docs are also bad.

Gentoo is far more obvious in structure, easier to configure, and the tooling you use is far, far better. But if you have trouble despite all I linked and so on, maybe try hitting the gentoo forums or the main gentoo channel on irc and see if someone has time to help with a beginner's ebuild.

Oh, I'm not that guy you were talking to. I was just commenting on how horrible it is to package a .deb

Is there a Gentoo distribution with the basic or desktop profiles already compiled?

Sabayon

Thanks.

Is everyone just using genkernel? How difficult is it to have a booting system with a minimal one?

super easy. juat go to the gentoo wiki page for your model of laptop. the default settings it givea you are very generous too to allow for some trial and error